1. Post #2361
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,455 Posts
    well, when you compare it to a lot of other games, it is really as difficult to learn as many claim
    but yea, all you really need is patience and a bit of an attention span
    EVE scares me.
    A lot.

I'm also too broke of time and money for EVE, so I suppose I can be thankful!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #2362
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    11,144 Posts
    Its way easy since the major objective of the game is to lose.
    Negative, the main objective is to delay losing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

3. Post #2363
    August 2009
    4,181 Posts
    i really hate the UI
    imagine if toady completely overhauled the UI alone
    it would become so accessible so fast
    toady said he's doing gameplay mechanics over UI because development is faster that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #2364
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,459 Posts
    Negative, the main objective is to delay losing.
    Or at least to lose spectacularly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #2365
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,938 Posts
    the first step is to forget all this talk that it's hard to get into the game
    the second step is clicking this link
    http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.p...ickstart_guide
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa when didthis get posted? I've been sending people to the .31 quickstart because 2012 wasn't up yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #2366
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,441 Posts
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa when didthis get posted? I've been sending people to the .31 quickstart because 2012 wasn't up yet.
    It's been out as long as 2012 has.

AKA over a year now.

So uhh, well done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #2367
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,938 Posts
    It's been out as long as 2012 has.

AKA over a year now.

So uhh, well done.
    I am really confused now. I had found the .31 version and clicked the .34 button at the top a week or so ago and it said the page did not exist yet.

8. Post #2368
    October 2008
    3,392 Posts
    Oh god this went horribly. My 2 companions and I went after some goblin warlord. While approaching him, my crossbowman companion struck him in the leg and dropped him. I thought this'd be an easy kill, but I underestimated the skills of the other goblins. My maceman companion got surrounded and her legs got incapacitated by axes chopping into her, and my duel against a goblin swordsman took a turn for the worst when the warlord bit my ankles and I got stunned. I died when the goblin put an iron sword deep in my gut and started twisting it around.

Edited:

Well, my newest guy got murdered in some sewers. Me and my 3 companions descended in there to find a vampire, but some trap got triggered and dumped us all in the water, and I drowned because I was lying down and people were trampling me while fighting amphibian spearmen. That was... Odd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #2369
    September 2008
    1,158 Posts
    Something I've used that makes playing a lot more pleasant are these plugins here:

Mouse Fortress
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102563.0

UI Improvement Plugins
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119575.0

Construction Helper (Part of the UI Improvement Plugins, this is its more detailed thread)
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119369

Both Mouse Fortress and UI Improvement Plugins have mouse plugins which conflict a little bit, so I'd recommend shutting down the Mouse Fortress cursor.exe process, while leaving the mouse.exe process running. I've found the Mouse Query cursor to be much more reliable, and much less screwy with the camera. Doing this allows these two plugins to work wonderfully together.

Mouse Fortress lets you pan the screen with the middle mouse button, as well as providing a very useful rightclick menu. You can also scroll through z-levels using the scroll-wheel, which I find myself using much more than using it to zoom in/out. I've rebound my zoom in/out keys to [] instead.

The UI Plugins Mouse Query Tool, to steal from that thread:

"allows you to use the mouse to click on items, creatures, buildings, etc and have the game open the appropriate menu for it, in a somewhat context sensitive fashion. For example clicking a workshop will open the building (q)uery menu with the cursor placed on the workshop (it simulates you pressing "q" then moving the cursor to the workshop). Clicking on a dwarf or creature will open the (v)iew menu, and so on.

It also lets you use point & click for designations (to point and click two corners, not just paint one tile at a time), constructions and buildings. It also provides a live "loo(k)" when you hover over a tile, if you have the menu panel open:"

The Construction Helper makes building constructions like walls and floors SO much easier.

Moves the last used material to the top of the material list.

Allows you to assign certain materials for "auto-selected" in future construction.

Allows the designations if "future" constructions, i.e. allocating new constructions in open space or adjacent to constructions not yet
    built. This allows you to designate an entire structure in one sitting, instead of having to wait till each section is built before

Enables rectangular selection for placing constructions, the way designations are done, instead of using umhk keys. It allows unlimited sized selections and is able to automatically skip tiles that cannot be used for construction.

Really, the UI Improvement Plugin comes with so many useful plugins besides the ones I mentioned here. They're not difficult to use, and it makes things a lot more pleasant for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Useful Useful x 3 (list)

10. Post #2370
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,455 Posts
    I'd consider using them, but the main issue I have is that you can become too reliant on them. It's like what happens when a new version comes out and Dwarf Therapist is not updated to it, people are so used to it that they can't play. (I can, but it's slow)

I might give them a try, so thanks anyway!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #2371
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,938 Posts

I'm scared.

12. Post #2372
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,938 Posts

Fuck bandits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #2373
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,935 Posts
    is it possible to move while grabbing something without releasing them?

I want to use live snakes as weapons.

Edited:

I don't think it's possible.

darn

Edited:

in other news storks are immune to weasels

Edited:

i also killed two lions with a spear, dual wielded them and tried to kill a third lion with them

unfortunately the lion bit both my hands off so I tried to beat him with my stumps

no luck though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

14. Post #2374
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,938 Posts
    Dammit, just had another (un)lucky arrow end an aspiring adventurer. Was in perfectly good health until the arrow hit the spine, causing him to drop to the ground and let go of his shield and sword. All he could do was roll away as the goblin ambush took the lives of his companions, one by one, like the last one he had survived, before they all converged on him and bled him out.

15. Post #2375
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    okay so adventure mode seems a lot easier, but i walked around for 15 minutes and didn't find anything. oh well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

16. Post #2376
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,459 Posts
    okay so adventure mode seems a lot easier, but i walked around for 15 minutes and didn't find anything. oh well
    Define anything? Cause if you didn't have to dodge trees while running around somethings wrong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #2377
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,455 Posts
    I can't take the Glasgow Coma Scale seriously because every time I see GCS on my work, I just think of a fucking giant cave spider.

Dorf fortress ruins healthcare ambitions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #2378
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    Define anything? Cause if you didn't have to dodge trees while running around somethings wrong
    well yeah there were trees everywhere, and i climbed some mountains
    but i didn't see any animals or.. anything living pretty much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

19. Post #2379
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    10,645 Posts
    So I gained enough in the way of stats that I decided to find a Necromancer Tower and turn necro myself. I was unsuccessful for most of the day in my searching, but then I managed to finally discover one in an out of the way part of the map. Tomorrow, I assault the place, and by golly, I'll either be a necro, or dead as last year's mutton like my last adventurer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

20. Post #2380
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,116 Posts
    Press shift+t to fast travel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #2381
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    4,079 Posts
    well yeah there were trees everywhere, and i climbed some mountains
    but i didn't see any animals or.. anything living pretty much.
    I think that's a bad sign... Maybe someone or something completely killed everything?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #2382
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    11,144 Posts
    So I gained enough in the way of stats that I decided to find a Necromancer Tower and turn necro myself. I was unsuccessful for most of the day in my searching, but then I managed to finally discover one in an out of the way part of the map. Tomorrow, I assault the place, and by golly, I'll either be a necro, or dead as last year's mutton like my last adventurer.
    So many goddamn zombies, i've never been very successful at assaulting those towers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #2383

October 2013
    42 Posts

Very Dwarfy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

24. Post #2384
    moo
    November 2006
    4,825 Posts
    Speaking of adventure mode, the other night I was playing it. Everything was going great, my companions and I were killing off bandit camps and night creatures like it was nothing. I even took several bolts to the chest, pulled them out and walked it off like it was nothing. We come to another bandit camp, I attack the leader and my companions attack the goblins. After I easily killed the leader I helped kill off the remaining goblins. There is one lonely goblin lasher left, I lash him with my whip, it hits his hand, only bruising the muscle. He counter attacks and whips my hand, which makes me drop my whip and faint from the pain, he then caves my head in killing me instantly.

I was really hoping for a more glorious death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

25. Post #2385
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    13,597 Posts

Very Dwarfy
    He's not throwing or biting anything 0/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

26. Post #2386
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,186 Posts

Very Dwarfy
    There's no such thing as black dwarves, that's just silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10 (list)

27. Post #2387
    You're saying you like dos more than me, right?
    April 2011
    4,522 Posts

huh
    these kids sure are smart nowadays
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

28. Post #2388
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    636 Posts
    Started playing Kobold fortress a while ago, after 2 failed attempts at creating a walled city I had finally gotten 90 kobolds, 4 ogres and the walls fully built. My Ogres destroyed everything that came nearby and one of them even had a mithril dagger stolen from an ambushing orc, that it slew an acid spewing Wyvern with. I thought it was going to get too easy until a red dragon showed up, my walls were made of clay and wood. In my foolishness I thought that nothing can destroy drawbridges.

It's first breath of fire took down my one adult ogre (Her mate had been wiped out by paralyzing warlock blood in an earlier ambush) and the main gate that the ogre was hiding behind and I withdrew everyone to the inner wall just to have it suffer the same fate. Those that were trapped outside the fortress fled to my catacombs (The cave which I keep all my dead) where they were destroyed by a troll who wandered up. I threw wave after wave of militia at the dragon until there was nothing left and the dragon suffering little more than a few cut open minor limbs and a dented leg.

Then a wave of Orcs arrived, instantly charging at the dragon and suffering no casualties beheaded the dragon. My few remaining survivors (A militia commander with his entire body burnt, Village chief and 3 kids) were separated between the 2 walls and the orcs promptly finished the militia commander and beheaded 2 of the children.

My last surviving adult and child are hiding it out in the walled off river section while the orcs are taking it in turns to piss in my ponds and bro-fist each other by the looks of things.

Last adult Kobold suicidally ran at one of the orcs, child got kidnapped. Rip Bloatedbolds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

29. Post #2389
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    20,567 Posts
    Perfect chance to rebuild
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #2390
    pink titles r for gaylordes
    March 2008
    4,033 Posts
    Im watching this anime where a guy from japan goes to spread the way of the otaku in a fantasy world which is inhabited by elfs humans dwarfs and other species

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #2391
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,030 Posts
    -imgsnip-
    Thats a true dwarf right there!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

32. Post #2392
    this link changes
    April 2012
    6,885 Posts
    Im watching this anime where a guy from japan goes to spread the way of the otaku in a fantasy world which is inhabited by elfs humans dwarfs and other species

It's called Outbreak Company for anyone curious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

33. Post #2393
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,593 Posts
    Dear lord, how can you play with that tileset? It's so chaotic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2394
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,455 Posts
    I don't think it's the tileset so much as varied ground tiles being on.
    I like spacefox personally, and will drop this fact for the third time in the past week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #2395
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,593 Posts
    I know, sorry to open Pandora's box again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #2396
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    636 Posts
    Dear lord, how can you play with that tileset? It's so chaotic.
    Yeah, it's mostly due to my massively disorganized centralized stockpile and because of the amount of ash, corpses and broken dreams lying upon the ground.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #2397
    You're saying you like dos more than me, right?
    April 2011
    4,522 Posts
    dammit how do people kill archers on adventure mode? i always get fucked up by them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

38. Post #2398
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    1,606 Posts
    dammit how do people kill archers on adventure mode? i always get fucked up by them
    Luck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

39. Post #2399
    August 2009
    4,181 Posts
    hire other archers and handle the melee dudes first

40. Post #2400
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    9,932 Posts
    The Chuckshot.