1. Post #2081
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    17,630 Posts
    Research Legalism and make sure your heir has good diplomacy as well as a male heir. You're never going to completely get rid of your vassals hating your heirs, it comes with the territory. The best you can do is alleviate the problem.
    To expand on this, once you hit Emperor and have a nation of any reasonable size it's a good idea to just have your heirs be Grey Eminences. Given the size of your vassal pool, it won't be difficult to find a 20-25 Dip dude to attach your heir to.

To alleviate some of the heir hatred, I'd recommend giving him a Kingdom once he comes of age (and after you marry him off to a girl with good genetic stats/high dip) so at least a portion of your vassals will not suffer from the "short reign" penalty. Hell, give him two kingdoms; he'll be inheriting them later anyway. If you give him some "incomplete" kingdoms or ones nearby foreign lands, you might get the benefit of him running independent wars to expand, which is good for both the Byzantines and the heir's prestige.

Make sure he was Born in the Purple as well, that's a big one. Give him Despot as well, since that has some prestige boosting benefits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2082
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,301 Posts
    To expand on this, once you hit Emperor and have a nation of any reasonable size it's a good idea to just have your heirs be Grey Eminences. Given the size of your vassal pool, it won't be difficult to find a 20-25 Dip dude to attach your heir to.

To alleviate some of the heir hatred, I'd recommend giving him a Kingdom once he comes of age (and after you marry him off to a girl with good genetic stats/high dip) so at least a portion of your vassals will not suffer from the "short reign" penalty. Hell, give him two kingdoms; he'll be inheriting them later anyway. If you give him some "incomplete" kingdoms or ones nearby foreign lands, you might get the benefit of him running independent wars to expand, which is good for both the Byzantines and the heir's prestige.

Make sure he was Born in the Purple as well, that's a big one. Give him Despot as well, since that has some prestige boosting benefits.
    Long reign counts if they were King of a different title before the current one? Not like you're going to be an Emperor and use it often but that's pretty handy.

If you've got the cash it never hurts to throw around a few "gifts", especially on people who lead factions or are greed. Raise City and church taxes because a Mayor will never rebel and although Feudal taxes may piss them off even more, you'll have enough cash to bribe the big threats and hopefully put off the various rebellions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #2083
    "Gold Member"
    May 2007
    12,544 Posts
    Yeah gifts are amazing as a king/emperor. They'll mollify a duke for like 30 gold.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #2084
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,049 Posts
    Just going to leave these here

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #2085
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,573 Posts
    I wanted so badly to do that (without the superman Khan) but then my game crashed every time I gained Novgorod by conquest ;_;

No Baghdad?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #2086
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,819 Posts
    Just going to leave these here

I somewhat doubt that this was done legitimately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #2087
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,573 Posts
    That would be one hell of a dynastic score if that guy was to keel over

8. Post #2088
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,049 Posts
    I somewhat doubt that this was done legitimately.
    You might be right.

Edited:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...izer-Dev-Diary

Customizer:
    This is a smaller DLC on the scale of the Ruler Designer, but it's something that many have asked for. It will give players an easy way to customize several items in their games when they are already well underway.
    Edited:

Oh shit yes yes yes. You can finally rename your Empire/Kingdom/Holding

You can rename any title held by you or your vassals:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

9. Post #2089
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,028 Posts
    I'm somewhat disappointed with this DLC. I was expecting to be able to change the map colour and the coat of arms of the title...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

10. Post #2090
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,484 Posts
    what ever, names are cool too.

11. Post #2091
    Why is it so difficult to win any kind of war in HoI 3? It seems like automating theaters, researching proper techs, upgrading/building units doesn't help much because I always get easily stomped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Poland Show Events

12. Post #2092
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,539 Posts
    Well what usually occurs? There is a lot more behind the scenes stuff than you may realize. Supply throughput, leader experience, battle doctrines researched, terrain, units in terrain, traits, stacking penalties, envelopment, etc.

13. Post #2093
    I think that my troops seem to lose organization a lot faster than enemy's and they seem to have less organization overall, so they can't hold the line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Poland Show Events

14. Post #2094
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,769 Posts
    I think that my troops seem to lose organization a lot faster than enemy's and they seem to have less organization overall, so they can't hold the line.
    Make sure you're getting enough officers, which can be trained in the tech tab. A low ratio of officers mean your troop's org will drop faster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #2095
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,598 Posts
    I still don't really get how to supply troops in HOI3. I was playing Ireland and, while Britain was busy losing tens of thousands of men in some stupid amphibious landing in Flanders, I invaded North Ireland and Wales. Ireland went fine, there was only a brigade of militia to oppose me. But in Wales, in addition to facing some huge reserve army streaming out of Yorkshire, my men were starving in droves. I landed in Wales with twenty thousand, and from starvation alone I lost four thousand. I was able to hold them off only because I sent some infantry to Kent and Essex to distract them long enough to run away and try again.

16. Post #2096
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    298 Posts
    Make sure you research the proper doctrines which fit the army you can field, there's no use in spending leadership researching tank org techs if you only can field militia and infantry, take terrain always into account when fighting, as every brigade or attachment has different penalties if it is mountains, or plains, etc. There are some combinations which can negate any advantage the division might have (e.g. 2 mountain brigades + Art creates a huge penalty since arty its not fit for mountain fighting, or Arm+Inf, which makes it lose the speed advantage the tanks have). Defend your ports since they mostly will be targeted for an amphibious invasion, and keep some troops in reserve so if they manage to break your first line you can counterattack and push them back (or gain some terrain if your counterattack is strong enough). Related to this, just because you can, it doesn't mean you should, always try to attack with a clear idea in your mind of what you want to achieve with that attack, and how will you keep up with the increased pressure both on your logistics and the increased frontage, which might lead to more battles, which in turn leads to casualties and org drops, and in the worst cases can get your troops encircled and wiped.

I still don't really get how to supply troops in HOI3. I was playing Ireland and, while Britain was busy losing tens of thousands of men in some stupid amphibious landing in Flanders, I invaded North Ireland and Wales. Ireland went fine, there was only a brigade of militia to oppose me. But in Wales, in addition to facing some huge reserve army streaming out of Yorkshire, my men were starving in droves. I landed in Wales with twenty thousand, and from starvation alone I lost four thousand. I was able to hold them off only because I sent some infantry to Kent and Essex to distract them long enough to run away and try again.
    You must research the techs related to your supply throughput, and invade ports or provinces near enough to capture it with your existing supplies at the time of invasion. And make sure there are enough convoys going there, and most important, that they are actually reaching their intended destination, since they will be targeted and fucked up by the RN.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #2097
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,539 Posts
    Factories you capture from enemy provinces iirc produce supplies for troops as well, or perhaps it was just urban tiles. I'm not sure.

18. Post #2098

19. Post #2099
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,769 Posts
    Factories you capture from enemy provinces iirc produce supplies for troops as well, or perhaps it was just urban tiles. I'm not sure.
    It's factories, I don't think urban has anything to do with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #2100
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    2,338 Posts
    You might be right.

Edited:

Edited:

Would those renamed Kingdoms convert to EU4?

I want to play as Slavia.

21. Post #2101
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,598 Posts
    You must research the techs related to your supply throughput, and invade ports or provinces near enough to capture it with your existing supplies at the time of invasion. And make sure there are enough convoys going there, and most important, that they are actually reaching their intended destination, since they will be targeted and fucked up by the RN.
    My supply tech was a little lacking, but I'm pretty sure it was the navy doing me in. Most of it sank during the Flanders Landings when the Germans came steaming out of Denmark, but I guess some stuck around in Britain. Well I'll scrape together some ships and leave some ill-armed thugs to hold onto a port and try again. The British just opened a second beachhead in Brittany so I assume they'll be out of troops this time.

22. Post #2102
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,383 Posts
    Does anybody know how I can lower neutrality even faster?

Right now I'm not bothering to send forces to Europe since my navy is nonexistent and the fact that Communist China still exists in Asia. I'm trying to focus on wiping out the other major powers with in China such as the Guangxi Clique and the Xibei guys up north, I've send as many spies as I can into their countries just to try to lower their neutrality so I can fight them but the process takes forever! Also, Siam is now under my yellow yoke and I'm planning to fight with the British for control of Southeast Asia once I'm done dealing with these other Chinese factions.

Apparently my Strong China has been whoring itself to the Americans as of late.

I'm manufacturing B-29 superfortresses, I have a few wings of B-24 Liberators and I have P-47 Thunderbolts. My infantrymen all have M1 Garands and M2 Browning HMGs yet my tanks are still shitty little vickers.

I'm still investing a lot of my research into more doctrines and modernizing my airforce and armor since the US pretty much dominated most of the islands before I annexed Japan so there's not much use for investing in a Navy at this time since I'm focused on unifying China before 1950
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #2103
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,573 Posts
    You might be right.

Edited:

Edited:

Damnit! Something always happens where it's like "okay I will not play CKII/EU3/V2 until [blank] happens/update" and I was JUST installing CKII on my new computer to end that but now I have to wait even longer :(

24. Post #2104
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    298 Posts
    Since some people struggle to understand HoI3 logistics, I'll leave here a couple of interesting reads which helped me back in the day to learn the innards of the system:

http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Logistics_reference

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...0#post10011660

http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Logistics_strategy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #2105
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,028 Posts
    EU4 demo is up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

26. Post #2106
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,409 Posts
    EU4 demo is up!
    The download server is being raped to death, for me anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

27. Post #2107
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    Dennab
    April 2005
    11,510 Posts
    The download server is being raped to death, for me anyway.
    Downloading full speed for me off Steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #2108
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,049 Posts
    The Demo is the New World Scenario, 1492, with only Portugal, Venice, Ottomans and Austria as playable countries. Console is not enabled in the demo, which isn't surprising, it wasn't enabled in other demos AFAIK.

Edited:

Oh and it also includes the tutorial.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

29. Post #2109
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    It ends in 1520, though, so don't get too well seated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

30. Post #2110
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,769 Posts
    Does anybody know how I can lower neutrality even faster?
    Raise threats of other nations, no other way in post-FTM really.

31. Post #2111
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,049 Posts
    Have the map

Edited:

Fun fact, the EU4 map is 5632x2048 V2 map is 5616x2160

The EU4 map appears to be a modified V2 map, some things are 1:1 with the V2 map, while others are slightly different. Some being Minor, like that lake in Florida being smaller in EU4 then V2.

Edited:

the demo is modifiable, as long as you're not trying to edit what countries you can play or the start date. Localization modding is possible, they're using 'yml' instead of xml, but its just a fancier xml file so any text editor should open them.

I am now the Country of 'Not Portugal'

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

32. Post #2112
    "Gold Member"
    May 2007
    12,544 Posts
    Trying to download the demo does nothing and refreshes the store page...

33. Post #2113
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    Dennab
    April 2005
    11,510 Posts
    Trying to download the demo does nothing and refreshes the store page...
    Restart Steam, and then click below:
    I am so very clickable right now. Click me and I'll install the Windows demo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

34. Post #2114
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,049 Posts
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...=#post15902166

Someone has managed to mod it to play other countries but has not said how.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

35. Post #2115
    "Gold Member"
    May 2007
    12,544 Posts
    So in EU4 your armies will occasionally refuse to move after battles for no reason, with no expiry on the paralysis. This results in your entire army sitting in a province for a month as France pulls 60,000 troops to surround it and instantly destroy it. France will then refuse to accept any peace deal, destroy your stacks in mountains while outnumbered 2:1 and attacking you, and proceed to shit on the entirety of your remaining game time.

Fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #2116
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,486 Posts
    So in EU4 your armies will occasionally refuse to move after battles for no reason, with no expiry on the paralysis. This results in your entire army sitting in a province for a month as France pulls 60,000 troops to surround it and instantly destroy it. France will then refuse to accept any peace deal, destroy your stacks in mountains while outnumbered 2:1 and attacking you, and proceed to shit on the entirety of your remaining game time.

Fun.
    That sounds like France in EU to me.

What I'm saying is fuck France, fuck France players. It's too easy, lame, OP, boring, and fuck you for playing France.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #2117
    Everyone is playing EU4 demo and I'm just sitting here unifying China.

Given that I'm still a newbie and Japan helped me only with Guangxi Clique, I think I can consider it as a pretty nice achievement.

Edited:

Alternative link if the pic is not loading: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=167820298
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

38. Post #2118
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,598 Posts

Edited:

Aw, I was kinda hoping you could rename titles such as changing the Duchy of York to the Kingdom of York, but that's still pretty neat.

39. Post #2119
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,539 Posts
    Raising threat will decrease neutrality to whoever asked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #2120
    October 2008
    3,392 Posts
    That sounds like France in EU to me.

What I'm saying is fuck France, fuck France players. It's too easy, lame, OP, boring, and fuck you for playing France.
    France is just EU's final boss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)