1. Post #4001
    Source Multi-Tool
    March 2010
    1,119 Posts
    Dumb question, but how do I make a func_door_rotating open towards the player and close away from him? Like a kitchen cabinet where you don't shove the drawer through your kitchen and all.
    Except this is a large cabinet where the player can walk inside.
    There's a flag called "One Way" check mark that and then test in game if it's opening the wrong direction go ahead and check mark the "Reverse Direction" as well.

Edit: Well gee I'm top of the page this time around I guess. Here take these really old screen grabs from very early testing of a new game mode and maps that will never see the light of day since I can't show anything recent yet.

Credit goes to Earkham for that last one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #4002
    April 2011
    815 Posts
    Well the way it *should* work is you create a variable, for example $variablescrollrate, and under the TextureScroll proxy you'd set texturescrollrate to $variablescrollrate; then the material_modify_control, with the appropriate keyvalues set as necessary, would receive SetMaterialVar inputs and the texture would react to the inputs. However, after playing around with this for an hour or so, I couldn't get it to work. Might have to do with me using the TF2 engine, or maybe I'm doing something wrong - either way, it doesn't work for me. As for your problem, you can just take the easy way out and create two brushes, one with a static material and one with a scrolling material, then disable one and enable the other.

Edited:

I'll keep working on it, maybe try it in HL2. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
    Thanks for playing around with this! The problem with enabling and disabling a scrolling and static brush is that it needs to start animating again right where it left off, and the "jump" when the scrolling texture is disabled would be highly noticeable.

I tried to get this effect working by using a bunch of func_tracktrains spawning one after the other, but it's buggy. Sometimes there are gaps between the pieces and sometimes it works correctly. It's inconsistent, which is why I'm looking for another way to accomplish this.

3. Post #4003
    April 2007
    212 Posts
    Hi all.

So I remember doing some mapping about a year or two ago and when you made a displacement with a grass texture it would automatically add these little detail sprites (grass) ingame.

Is that now broken or something? I can't seem to get it working.
    This still works for me, but I always use the one grass texture. What engine are you mapping in?

I'll find out which texture it is when I'm back home
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

4. Post #4004
    March 2010
    91 Posts
    This still works for me, but I always use the one grass texture. What engine are you mapping in?

I'll find out which texture it is when I'm back home
    Hey there - thanks for the reply. I had a little look into it. I'm building my map in MP SDK2013 and copying over to Double Action: Boogaloo. When the map loads it spams the console with an error message about how it couldn't find the detail sprite, so I think I either need to pakrat it or shove it into boogaloo's files.

I'm stuck with another problem now. Anyone know why my glass cubemaps are doing this?

when everything else is fine?

Probably worth mentioning that when I buildcubemaps (using the instructions on this page http://forums.doubleactiongame.com/v...php?f=16&t=636), I get an error in the console stating that some cubemaps could not be removed, even though I'm using -nocubemaps to compile. I read that this can be caused by having two env_cubemaps in the exact same place, but there's no such instance on my map. These don't seem to be present in the BSP either, as I tried deleting them manually with pakrat. I'm using glass/glasswindowbreak070a.

Would appreciate any help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #4005
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,344 Posts
    Remove the -nocubemaps?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events

6. Post #4006
    March 2010
    91 Posts
    Remove the -nocubemaps?
    Did a fast compile without -nocubemap and still got the console error. See pic. Seems no cubemaps at all were generated for some reason.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #4007
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,344 Posts
    Make sure your Steam folder isn't Read Only.

8. Post #4008
    March 2011
    71 Posts
    so without any notice hammer started acting up. it worked fine yesterday, but when i opened hammer a few moments ago and started moving things in the viewports it went haywire.

The viewports flicker and seem to alternate between the other viewports enabled, making it impossible to map.

need a fix asap
    I fixed it, switched to integrated graphics for hammer.
    Stupid nvidia, fucking up everything with their drivers just so I can play CoD in 3D with "in-depth laser sight".
    They should quit this cargo cult programming, rolling in more useless shit in every new driver.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

9. Post #4009
    Thunderstorm Enthusiast
    February 2009
    576 Posts
    There's probably an easy way to fix this but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here
    I'm trying to edit the lights.rad file to change the lighting intensity of one of the fluorescent light textures. I'm mapping for Half Life 2: Episode 2, and I went into the directory, edited lights.rad and made the intensity 25 (original was 400 or something). When I compiled the map, there was no difference in the brightness. I tried completely removing the entry for that texture, but it's still emitting light. Where is the correct lights.rad I'm supposed to be editing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #4010
    Dennab
    March 2014
    396 Posts
    When I try to use the clipping tool on some objects it doesn't seperate them, instead it just draws a line where I did the cut (I did press enter)
    see top left
    http://i.imgur.com/tE8iC6C.png

11. Post #4011
    When I try to use the clipping tool on some objects it doesn't seperate them, instead it just draws a line where I did the cut (I did press enter)
    see top left
    you split the brush, draw your cutting line, and hit the clip tool button until the piece you want to keep is highlighted white, then hit enter

12. Post #4012
    Source Multi-Tool
    March 2010
    1,119 Posts
    There's probably an easy way to fix this but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here
    I'm trying to edit the lights.rad file to change the lighting intensity of one of the fluorescent light textures. I'm mapping for Half Life 2: Episode 2, and I went into the directory, edited lights.rad and made the intensity 25 (original was 400 or something). When I compiled the map, there was no difference in the brightness. I tried completely removing the entry for that texture, but it's still emitting light. Where is the correct lights.rad I'm supposed to be editing?
    And you are using
    Code:
    -lights <filename>.rad
    on compile in the command line?

13. Post #4013
    Dennab
    March 2014
    396 Posts
    Can you shift an object by a smaller-than-grid size to avoid clipping? I've seen some objects placed slightly outside the grid to do that when they raise / lower. I think I need to edit the vmf, but I'm not sure which values to change.
    This is what dimensions look like in the vmf. "plane" "(158 141 196) (158 181 196) (158 181 244)" Maybe someone could explain each of the sets of values?

14. Post #4014
    Can you shift an object by a smaller-than-grid size to avoid clipping? I've seen some objects placed slightly outside the grid to do that when they raise / lower. I think I need to edit the vmf, but I'm not sure which values to change.
    This is what dimensions look like in the vmf. "plane" "(158 141 196) (158 181 196) (158 181 244)" Maybe someone could explain each of the sets of values?
    you're talking about moving something without hammer grid constraints? Hold alt while moving it around and it will move freely. However make sure not to do this with world geometry.

15. Post #4015
    Thunderstorm Enthusiast
    February 2009
    576 Posts
    And you are using
    Code:
    -lights <filename>.rad
    on compile in the command line?
    Yeah, unless I'm doing something wrong it doesn't appear to be working.

16. Post #4016
    July 2005
    6,344 Posts
    Try placing the .rad file in the SDK Base folder.

17. Post #4017
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2011
    4,602 Posts
    The question's been probably asked a thousand times over, but... How do I get rid of that error message when compiling, "The command failed. Windows reported the error: "The system cannot find the file specified.""?

I'm trying to convert CSGO maps to Garry's Mod, and I've been succesful if it wasn't for that damn error that prevents me from converting some maps. It seems to be perfectly random though, sometimes it doesn't appear when working on a map after an update, sometimes it works after removing some entities, sometimes the compilation method makes it work, sometimes changing the name of the map fixes it, and sometimes the error appears after tweaking a few things on the map.

It's extremely frustrating, does anyone have any solutions? I've googled the problem, but found nothing consistent. Maybe an alternate program for compiling?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events

18. Post #4018
    July 2013
    2,404 Posts
    Alright, I am trying to convert some DDS Textures to VTF, and some of them have alpha. Is there a way to do that in Paint.NET?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

19. Post #4019
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    I have a trigger that initiates a server wide countdown when a player enters it. The problem is, say there are 3 people in the server it triggers the trigger 3 times, making the countdown repeat itself 3 times. Is there any way to make it so once one player triggers the trigger, it is desiabled for all other players in the server?

20. Post #4020
    March 2010
    91 Posts
    Words about really bright reflections on glass cubemaps.
    Still stuck on this problem. All the glass on my map is reflecting a really bright horrible light. I've tried rebuilding cubemaps in various different ways. Think I might try another glass material since everything else has working cubemaps - does anyone have any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #4021
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,575 Posts
    I have a trigger that initiates a server wide countdown when a player enters it. The problem is, say there are 3 people in the server it triggers the trigger 3 times, making the countdown repeat itself 3 times. Is there any way to make it so once one player triggers the trigger, it is desiabled for all other players in the server?
    Use a trigger_once?

Edited:

How useful would be a website that takes in .vmf's and then displays them in an embedded viewer, with permalinking for easy sharing of basic geometry?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

22. Post #4022
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    Use a trigger_once?
    That is what I'm using and when I'm alone it works fine, but in a server with two people both trigger it immediately it runs twice.
    Here's a little run down:
    If I create my own server, when I spawn the trigger is set off and the command to do a countdown starts, using the say command.
    If someone joins this server then everything still works fine, and since I'm the host they see me saying the countdown.
    However, when I run the map on a server, the console says the countdown (as it should) but it says it in doubles, because there are two people triggering the trigger at the same time.
    Kinda tough to put into words but I hope you understand.

23. Post #4023
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,575 Posts
    So it's triggered on playerspawn, hrm. Could you trigger it on map spawn with a logic_auto? Maybe have the trigger just barely surround a playerspawn so when they move it triggers the countdown and disables the other triggers? I don't think there's a way to circumvent the two-player problem, since players spawn at the same time, so you'll have to work around it a bit.

24. Post #4024
    July 2005
    6,344 Posts
    lope try sending it through a few logic relays.

25. Post #4025
    April 2007
    212 Posts
    Yeah, unless I'm doing something wrong it doesn't appear to be working.
    You need to put the rad file in the same place as your .vmf, with the same name.

Like:

<my documents>/fp_city.vmf
    <my documents>/fp_city.rad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

26. Post #4026
    Dennab
    November 2013
    357 Posts
    see top left
    Use 32x32 brushes for single blocks for Minecraft maps please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #4027
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    7,847 Posts
    Use 32x32 brushes for single blocks for Minecraft maps please.
    Why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #4028
    Dennab
    November 2013
    357 Posts
    1. Because Minecraft map.
    2. Minecraft blocks are 32x32, and wrong proportions just look bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

29. Post #4029
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,575 Posts
    2. Minecraft blocks are 32x32, and wrong proportions just look bad.
    What? Where did you get this idea? There's no official size for Minecraft-scale blocks (but if you want to be accurate they'd be 50x50 since the playerhull is 48 wide and 82 tall).

30. Post #4030
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    so for my problem I think I'm going to use logic_auto and fire an output every new round. it should work I'll try it out when I get home. Hammer has so many useful entities I didn't even know about vv

31. Post #4031
    Source Multi-Tool
    March 2010
    1,119 Posts
    How useful would be a website that takes in .vmf's and then displays them in an embedded viewer, with permalinking for easy sharing of basic geometry?
    I think a better idea would be one for sharing instances. That way once someone makes something complex no one has to reinvent the wheel.

32. Post #4032
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,575 Posts
    Wouldn't that just .zip the .vmf and put it up for download?

33. Post #4033
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,530 Posts
    My hammer is broken, it gives me constantly missing schema file every game config I try; I think it has happened mainly after I used the NMRIH map editor version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

34. Post #4034
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,784 Posts
    where can i download a hesco barrier in different heights (static prop)

Edited:

nevermind, found some barriers from modern warfare
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

35. Post #4035
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    How can I make a movelinear loop it's movement?

36. Post #4036
    April 2011
    815 Posts
    How can I make a movelinear loop it's movement?
    As in continuously move back and forth?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #4037
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    As in continuously move back and forth?
    Yep

38. Post #4038
    April 2011
    815 Posts
    Set up the output of the movelinear to:

onfullyopen > movelinear > close
    onfullyclosed > movelinear > open

It'll need something to start the motion too, such as a logic_auto:

OnMapSpawn > movelinear > open
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

39. Post #4039
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    Set up the output of the movelinear to:

onfullyopen > movelinear > close
    onfullyclosed > movelinear > open

It'll need something to start the motion too, such as a logic_auto:

OnMapSpawn > movelinear > open
    Thank you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #4040
    December 2013
    461 Posts
    New to mapping. Is there a texture limit for a map?