1. Post #681
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,253 Posts

Made an MDF base plate for my rasp pi.

MDF is a surprisingly pleasant material to work with, it behaves more like a plastic or a very soft metal than wood. I even find myself using a scribe to mark it rather than a pencil more often than not.
    I had some of this 6mm thick stuff left over after a shelf project and figured I'd make something simple just to keep it off the bench. The screws are regular machine screws so I had to sink the heads into the material to get a flat bottom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #682
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,041 Posts
    Can a Raspberry Pi do basic vision processing? I want to make a device that uses a webcam to sync my car's blinker with the person's in front of me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Programming King Programming King x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #683
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    5,350 Posts
    Can a Raspberry Pi do basic vision processing? I want to make a device that uses a webcam to sync my car's blinker with the person's in front of me.
    You're in luck actually, they recently released the community supported camera module along with OpenCV: http://thinkrpi.wordpress.com/2013/0...era-board-csi/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #684
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,922 Posts
    that's some scary level of OCD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 3 (list)

5. Post #685
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,041 Posts

I shall call it the Blinker Syncer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #686
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,253 Posts

Just made it.
    Share your wire spool storage!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

7. Post #687
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,402 Posts
    Just made it.
    Share your wire spool storage!
    That's a pretty neat idea.
    Would be good if you wind lots of coils and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #688
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,820 Posts
    Yeh, im thinking of doing somthing like this for my room, once the walls exist and the benches are in ect

Planning on building a coil winding system into it because i plan to do alot of teslacoils / transformers ^^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #689
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    I need spools so I can then be persuaded to strip down and wind up the 50 conductors that make up the telephone trunk cable I've been slowly chipping away at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #690
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,820 Posts
    I need spools so I can then be persuaded to strip down and wind up the 50 conductors that make up the telephone trunk cable I've been slowly chipping away at.
    That is often the cheapest method of getting wire, buying large multi core cable, irritating as hell however...

11. Post #691
    February 2009
    604 Posts
    So, I dug up this 5 watt fm transmitter I have, and tested it. The thing is, it doesn't emit a carrier on one frequency, however, it fucks up the whole 3meter band to noise, I can't hear any other radiostation any more when I turn this thing on, and I have absolutely no clue what's wrong with it.

Ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

12. Post #692
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,402 Posts
    So, I dug up this 5 watt fm transmitter I have, and tested it. The thing is, it doesn't emit a carrier on one frequency, however, it fucks up the whole 3meter band to noise, I can't hear any other radiostation any more when I turn this thing on, and I have absolutely no clue what's wrong with it.

Ideas?
    It sounds like it's broken, open her up and post pictures.
    If it's a discrete transmitter it should be fairly easy to fix.

13. Post #693
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    That is often the cheapest method of getting wire, buying large multi core cable, irritating as hell however...
    Hobos can get you the best deals. Just don't ask where they got it from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

14. Post #694
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,848 Posts
    Just reporting back to say that the installation of the replacement capacitors in my monitor went swimmingly and I am currently using it as my primary monitor, It's like a brand new monitor for a fraction of the price of buying a new one.

I can see how you guys can get addicted to this stuff!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #695
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    If I short a capacitor it loses its charge, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events

16. Post #696
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,205 Posts
    If I short a capacitor it loses its charge, right?
    Yes, it can however rebuild some of it's charge after being shorted.

17. Post #697
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,041 Posts
    Chryseus, I finally got around to looking at those books you found for me. Thank you very much, it's exactly what I was looking for!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

18. Post #698
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,820 Posts
    Yes, it can however rebuild some of it's charge after being shorted.
    With large capacitors (or any capacitor for good safety practice) you should keep the terminals shorted at all times, i recently got shocked from a bag of 330v caps, i hadnt opened them in a year!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #699
    BuG
    December 2009
    192 Posts
    With large capacitors (or any capacitor for good safety practice) you should keep the terminals shorted at all times, i recently got shocked from a bag of 330v caps, i hadnt opened them in a year!
    That's impressive, I'd thought that the leakage would discharge them in a much shorter time.

Edit: Actually I suspect that an electric field has charged it or something, it sounds improbable to me that a cap should have held it's charge for 1+ years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

20. Post #700
    February 2009
    604 Posts
    That's some very decent cap then isn't it.

21. Post #701
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,402 Posts
    Most modern electrolytic caps that are good have a leakage under 1uA, sometimes as low as 100nA.

22. Post #702
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,820 Posts
    That's impressive, I'd thought that the leakage would discharge them in a much shorter time.

Edit: Actually I suspect that an electric field has charged it or something, it sounds improbable to me that a cap should have held it's charge for 1+ years.
    The caps i have wernt acctually in a bag, more like a box, cause each of them are about 4700uf xD
    oh, and they were 400v not 330v.

the big thing you need to watch out for is capacitor memory, where once you dischage them, they regain some of their charge. thats got me a few times, so i always keep the larger ones shorted now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #703
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,033 Posts
    The caps i have wernt acctually in a bag, more like a box, cause each of them are about 4700uf xD

the big thing you need to watch out for is capacitor memory, where once you dischage them, they regain some of their charge. thats got me a few times, so i always keep the larger ones shorted now.
    Speaking of which, I found my box-o-caps the other day... Including the 160,000 uF 40V one I found somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

24. Post #704
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,402 Posts
    Including the 160,000 uF 40V one I found somewhere.
    Make a spot welder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #705
    BuG
    December 2009
    192 Posts
    Most modern electrolytic caps that are good have a leakage under 1uA, sometimes as low as 100nA.

i(t) = C*dv/dt <=>
    i(t)/C = dv/dt

100nA/4700uF = 0.02128uV/ms

0.02128uV/ms * 31536000000ms (1 year) = 671.09V.

So unless I fucked up somewhere, a capacitor with 100nA leakage and 47000 uF capacitance should loose 671V per year due to that leakage. The plot thickens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

26. Post #706
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,611 Posts
    Is the leakage really a constant current? It should be proportional to the current voltage/charge, making it a differential.

Edited:

[sup]U = U_0 * e^(-t/(RC))[/sup] The discharge rating could be for the maximum voltage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #707
    BuG
    December 2009
    192 Posts
    Is the leakage really a constant current? It should be proportional to the current voltage/charge, making it a differential.

Edited:

[sup]U = U_0 * e^(-t/(RC))[/sup] The discharge rating could be for the maximum voltage.
    You got a point. If we say that the only loss is through the ohmic loss of the dielectric, which I don't think is the case, but if we just say it is, 400V/100nA = 4Gohm's. That gives us an RC time constant of 18800000s or 217,6 days. If you start out at 400V, you could get zapped after 365 days, if we consider >50V as a zap.

Interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #708
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,820 Posts
    Ive always wanted to get hold of some of the big pulsecaps like these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENERAL-AT...item3383608236

Probably use them to make a coin shrinker or try and make the worlds most powerful coilgun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

29. Post #709
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,033 Posts
    Make a spot welder
    With 40V?

30. Post #710
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,402 Posts
    160mF is a lot of capacitance, at 40V the total charge stored is 6.4 coulombs, more than enough to be used as a spot welder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

31. Post #711
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,033 Posts
    160mF is a lot of capacitance, at 40V the total charge stored is 6.4 coulombs, more than enough to be used as a spot welder.
    Shame I don't really have any use for a spot-welder at this point in time then.
    Also my memory failed me, it's only 78,000 uF. But the capacity is rated -10% + 75%.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 6 (list)

32. Post #712
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,106 Posts
    fuck

Edited:

it's so big
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #713
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,820 Posts

i got 2 of these on the way, 450v 12000uf
    Charge Q = 5.4 Coulombs
    Energy E = 1215 Joules
    each
    gonna use them as smoothing for my H-Bridge of 600A 1200V IGBT bricks:

But first... need to find a heatsink large enough for them + 4 100A diodes XD

Edited:

Shame I don't really have any use for a spot-welder at this point in time then.
    Also my memory failed me, it's only 78,000 uF. But the capacity is rated -10% + 75%.
    That is the worst tolerance i have ever seen on a actual product....

34. Post #714
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,033 Posts

Charge Q = 5.4 Coulombs
    Energy E = 1215 Joules
    each

Edited:

Strange, mine's a lower capacity and voltage but appears larger. Must be because it's so old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #715
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,820 Posts
    its probibly because it needs much more for its capacitance, voltage only means really it needs a higher dialectric.
    i think.... xD

36. Post #716
    BuG
    December 2009
    192 Posts

Charge Q = 5.4 Coulombs
    Energy E = 1215 Joules
    each

Edited:

Jesus christ, what are you building? A motor controller for a train?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #717
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,820 Posts
    im either gonna use it for a GIANT teslacoil OR most likely a Inverter for a 10Kw+ Ferrite transformer
    to give me like 10Kv out @ 1A then use a doubler or trippler to get 20Kv or 30Kv

not sure why.... Oh Well! il figure out what to do with it later...

Edited: Spelling Mistakes.

38. Post #718
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    I don't know what to use this for besides killing people.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

39. Post #719
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    5,350 Posts
    Well it seems spot welders have been in the news lately

40. Post #720
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,820 Posts
    I don't know what to use this for besides killing people.

cut the wires off for connectors, mabye find some pipe it fits into, then use it as ammo for a spud cannon!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)