1. Post #10201
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,178 Posts
    Guess what I'm also working on:

Edited:

Now I need to start adding way more detail so its not so bland
    I am so excited for this. Will you be changing the lighting colour to more of a yellow flourescent hue and adding appropriate sprites to the light sources? That seems fitting for this particular installation. Also are you going to mimic the details of the previous map and put the work bench in the back with the toolbox and some tools on it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

2. Post #10202
    Source Multi-Tool
    March 2010
    1,119 Posts
    also it would be basically impossible to line up the edges of the displacements with the walls, so I might just make some quick models, but I have no idea how to model for source, or how to convert the units in hammer over so I can create a properly scaled model
    The most basic simplest tool I've come across for making super simple props is kHED. It can directly export to .smd without having to mess with plugins.

There's no tutorials for it in English but once you play around with it for a couple of hours and look at the documentation you should be able to easily figure it out. Hardest part is just making sure you setup your QC file correct IMO.

Regardless of what you use start off by reading these articles:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...ation_Overview

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...orting_a_model

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...piling_a_model (I recommend the batch file method oddly enough because it's the most straight forward, just drag and drop)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #10203
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,521 Posts
    I improved the lighting and added some detail:
    Any thoughts before I move onto the lower part of the base?

Edited:

I am so excited for this. Will you be changing the lighting colour to more of a yellow flourescent hue and adding appropriate sprites to the light sources? That seems fitting for this particular installation. Also are you going to mimic the details of the previous map and put the work bench in the back with the toolbox and some tools on it?
    I answer your question with the above video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

4. Post #10204
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,178 Posts
    What a great thing to come home to. It looks good so far, can't say I'd change anything about it. Carry on!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #10205
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,521 Posts
    Changed the textures of the walls and added some more props:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #10206
    July 2014
    21 Posts
    Changed the textures of the walls and added some more props:

Normally with RP maps, I find it better to use less props, to keep it from cluttering. The players will furnish the buildings themselves, right? I would take out most of those, except for those pillars that block vehicles, the console, and crane type thing. Maybe keep the fork-lift type with the tires? Discluding the lights of course.

Just my personal opinion, but other than that, I am LOVING this map!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #10207
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,513 Posts
    Normally with RP maps, I find it better to use less props, to keep it from cluttering. The players will furnish the buildings themselves, right? I would take out most of those, except for those pillars that block vehicles, the console, and crane type thing. Maybe keep the fork-lift type with the tires? Discluding the lights of course.

Just my personal opinion, but other than that, I am LOVING this map!
    As long as you add a way for them to remove the props (Often RP scripts prevent removing of world owned props), then it shouldn't be a problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #10208
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,648 Posts
    As long as you add a way for them to remove the props (Often RP scripts prevent removing of world owned props), then it shouldn't be a problem.
    a good rule of thumb, if it isn't static, it should either be physgunnable, or breakable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #10209
    June 2013
    509 Posts
    Upcoming stuff. However, how could I improve the upper rooftop? I have no idea what to put there. I've tried things like AC units,
    but it still looked dull and silly. By the way, it's extremely unfinished. I'll also modify the texture that touches the floor by making the
    bottom snow-covered and wet. It's supposed to be a small 3 story apartment / office building.

(The flowers are made out of plastic, don't worry about abusive plant handling)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Mapping King Mapping King x 4 (list)

10. Post #10210
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,178 Posts
    Very pretty. I would definitely use an arched roof for a structure of that sort, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

11. Post #10211
    July 2014
    21 Posts
    Maybe a trim around the roof would be a nice touch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #10212
    November 2009
    139 Posts

booperino pooberino i dont know what to write here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Mapping King Mapping King x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #10213
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,465 Posts
    - tf2 pics -
    booperino pooberino i dont know what to write here
    I know what to write here, though.

You have managed to emulate TF2's style incredibly well. Everything from the lighting, to the composition of all the brushes and models makes it look exactly like something someone from valve would make.

Well done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

14. Post #10214
    Problems are hidden solutions (c)
    November 2011
    1,456 Posts
    So, as some of you know, I'm working on the combine textures. But I'm insecure about some of them, can you provide me some feedback about these:

I think they have an unique combine feel. but i dont know if it's good enough. Maybe if i made another pack with these kind of textures in it instead?
    no offence, but it looks like you slightly tweaked the hue and saturation of the textures that were already made by valve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Late Late x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #10215
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    no offence, but it looks like you slightly tweaked the hue and saturation of the textures that were already made by valve.
    Looks? That is pretty much what I am doing, I think I stated that the first time I posted those.
    But does it really matter? They look cool nontheless, and it saves people the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #10216
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,648 Posts
    I made a sin against hammer.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 30Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #10217
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    4,995 Posts

Is that Apple Campus?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #10218
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    1,729 Posts
    Texturing is the death of me

At least these are essentially the real textures from the original.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

19. Post #10219
    The King Of Zing
    September 2009
    12,788 Posts
    You used the carve tool?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #10220
    July 2012
    88 Posts
    You used the carve tool?
    Did he make a concave brush?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #10221
    May 2010
    865 Posts
    Did he make a concave brush?
    Is is it off grid?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

22. Post #10222
    September 2013
    3,246 Posts
    Is is it off grid?
    Nothing is func_detail?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #10223
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    Nothing is func_detail?
    Does it use nodraw?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #10224
    September 2013
    3,246 Posts
    Does it use nodraw?
    Ok these are starting to be less of sins and more of just unoptimized mapping.

One more, it all overlaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #10225
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    170 Posts
    Ok these are starting to be less of sins and more of just unoptimized mapping.

One more, it all overlaps.
    Not optimizing your map is a sin. Reporting to god
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

26. Post #10226
    September 2013
    3,246 Posts
    Nah not every imperfection is a sin, it's just bad mapping. Sins are stuff that really fuck shit up, like off-grid stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

27. Post #10227
    November 2009
    2,013 Posts
    did a thing with the help of "Mr Anonymous" (obviously still wip, thinking of a warehouse theme)
    Saw this frame and thought the layout looked a little familiar. Hope it worked out well for you, bud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #10228
    August 2010
    313 Posts

Any suggestions on how to dress this up a bit more? I want it to be detailed, but not cluttered. Similar to the coop dissemble areas at the end of each chamber in Portal 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #10229
    November 2009
    139 Posts
    Transparent walls/floors/ceilings with stuff right behind them (structural beams, pipes, electrical components). Also, to get a less cluttered feeling while still having lots of detail, cluster your detailing together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #10230
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    3,183 Posts
    I wish I could make cool things like this. Too bad I am consigned to making horrible shit for eternity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

31. Post #10231
    August 2010
    313 Posts
    Transparent walls/floors/ceilings with stuff right behind them (structural beams, pipes, electrical components). Also, to get a less cluttered feeling while still having lots of detail, cluster your detailing together.

Seemed to fix it with a pit more pipes, and railings. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #10232
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,324 Posts
    I don't know where to put this because I'm absolutely horrified.

For a few months I've been looking into a way to simulate the way halo does blended textures, which is alpha mask based rather than vertex-based. I thought I found a map that fixed this, since the verteces were HUGE but the detail was impressively fine:

So I rooted around the map's VMT files to figure out how he did this.

Could not find a blend texture. Instead, I found two textures, a sand texture and a grass texture, with inverted alpha masks.

This guy used $detail_alpha_mask_base_texture to make each texture only appear where the alpha tells it to...

...and then he fucking DUPLICATED THE GROUND DISPLACEMENT to put one on top of the other. Every single displacement polygon there is actually TWO polygons, overlaid at the same place, because it's not one but two displacements.

So fuck it, I'm going with my method because I can't do that with a displacement as large as the one I have in mind. It's not as true to the original map, but it'll save my optimization sanity and will look more realistic anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

33. Post #10233
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    137 Posts
    Upcoming stuff. However, how could I improve the upper rooftop? I have no idea what to put there. I've tried things like AC units,
    but it still looked dull and silly. By the way, it's extremely unfinished. I'll also modify the texture that touches the floor by making the
    bottom snow-covered and wet. It's supposed to be a small 3 story apartment / office building.

(The flowers are made out of plastic, don't worry about abusive plant handling)

Thought that house was in space for a second. It reminded me of that movie Zathura.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

34. Post #10234
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    11,704 Posts
    ...and then he fucking DUPLICATED THE GROUND DISPLACEMENT to put one on top of the other. Every single displacement polygon there is actually TWO polygons, overlaid at the same place, because it's not one but two displacements.
    That's how blends work in Radiant, its sort of weird but since the polycount is low it doesn't seem to be detrimental
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #10235
    October 2008
    665 Posts
    Just released my first zombie escape map !

Check the thread out:
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1440135
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #10236
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    390 Posts
    Making a small TF2 map from start to finish on twitch www.twitch.tv/swagbutts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

37. Post #10237
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,324 Posts
    That's how blends work in Radiant, its sort of weird but since the polycount is low it doesn't seem to be detrimental
    I might have been a bit quick to judge. literally this entire map is "how NOT to do blood gulch":

-The bases are tubes. No slanted edges.
    -The insides of the bases are hollow tubes, not tunnels with a rectangular center
    -There's a random flag platform in the middle
    -The roof is the wrong texture entirely
    -Everything uses the roof TEXTURE as a $detail instead of the correct detail texture-- even the rocks use the metal texture as a detail map
    -Completely forgot to do the tunnels near the red base teleporter
    -Teleporter uses a really ugly shader and is just four rectangular blocks
    -imagine everything listed above as a "sin of mapmaking" listed here
    -Nothing's cropped right. Displacements cut through displacements at the corners, buildings stick a few feet into the ground
    -no cubemaps
    -env_lights are default, and just placed wherever there was a dark spot
    -entire base is mirrored, WITH TEXTURELOCK ON, so the textures mirror eachother as well
    -Scale is off by a weird degree
    -No attempt was made to really match the original map's ground displacement. There's hills and stuff, but nothing matches-- even with that ground texture to guide the mapmaking process

It's pretty much what my map looks like in my nightmares. One day I'll wake up, turn on my computer, load "bloodgulch_final_csgo" and it'll look like that somehow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #10238
    January 2009
    1,714 Posts
    -no cubemaps

At least that made it accurate in a sense that it replicates Halo PC being played on a terrible computer that couldn't handle the cubemaps

At least GM_Blood_Gulch was done a little better in terms of geometry and a few textures and there, my only problem is that it's too big, you hurt yourself if you just run into the hole in the roof
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #10239
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,766 Posts
    oh magic conch, will I ever finish a full map that isn't also soviet themed?

dunno if I should leave the exposed brick bits. Logically it makes sense but aesthetically iunno.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #10240
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    390 Posts
    Here's the map I made on twitch. Couple hours of streaming, will finish it up tomorrow. :D

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)