1. Post #321
    October 2010
    780 Posts
    I'm not really good with ai stuff, but I would use a npc_enemyfinder.
    Thanks, I'll try that.

Rotate him to already be facing the player, also make sure he doesn't have a flag checked to make him asleep until he sees the player.
    Well the thing is this is just one of the spawn points that the game randomly chooses where to spawn an enemy and not a hand placed npc. And besides, I don't want him to just wait there for the player to come in his field of view but to more or less just wander around and occasionally search of the player.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovenia Show Events

2. Post #322

March 2012
    18 Posts
    I don't want him to just wait there for the player to come in his field of view but to more or less just wander around and occasionally search of the player.
    Use an aiscripted_schedule.

This entity allows you to pick an NPC name or classname (I.E. all NPCs of a type, npc_zombie for example) and tell it what to attack and/or where to go.

You must first set what type/name of NPC it will look for, the search range (0 for infinite), and in "schedule to run" choose "Set enemy to goal entity AND run to goal entity". In interruptability, choose "Death" (this will make the NPC search for the player continuously until death), and set goal entity to !player.

You may also want to set "all in radius" to "yes" (if you do so, then every NPC with the name/classname you specified will be targeted, if you don't, it will only target the closest one to the aiscripted_schedule.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Informative Informative x 6Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #323
    Problems are hidden solutions (c)
    November 2011
    1,456 Posts

Does anyone have an idea why this guy is just standing there doing nothing until I'm directly infront of him?
    I've set up all the nodes and I've even set up a ai_goal_follow and made him follow the player ( a more or less hacky way of making him search for the player ),
    yet he still just stands there doing jack shit.
    use ai_scriptedschedule
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Slovenia Show Events Late Late x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #324
    October 2010
    780 Posts
    Use an aiscripted_schedule.

This entity allows you to pick an NPC name or classname (I.E. all NPCs of a type, npc_zombie for example) and tell it what to attack and/or where to go.

You must first set what type/name of NPC it will look for, the search range (0 for infinite), and in "schedule to run" choose "Set enemy to goal entity AND run to goal entity". In interruptability, choose "Death" (this will make the NPC search for the player continuously until death), and set goal entity to !player.

You may also want to set "all in radius" to "yes" (if you do so, then every NPC with the name/classname you specified will be targeted, if you don't, it will only target the closest one to the aiscripted_schedule.)
    Damn it didn't work. I really don't know what might be causing the problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Slovenia Show Events

5. Post #325
    Make sure you have a trigger_once that will start scripting the aiscripted_schedule.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #326
    October 2009
    1,339 Posts
    My first time working with entities and NPC's/sound.
    Be gentle!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #327
    🚿💩🚿 just do it in the shower and stomp it down the drain asd 🚿💩🚿
    September 2008
    3,713 Posts
    I have an extremly hard time with lighting, so I'm trying to improve on it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8 (list)

8. Post #328
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,443 Posts
    I think if you add a very subtle light entity in the middle of the room, you can really take the edge off those shadows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #329
    September 2009
    933 Posts
    I have an extremly hard time with lighting, so I'm trying to improve on it.

If you want nice crisp shadows with those lights instead of the 'fuzziness'
    I'd suggesting upping the lightmap scale on all faces in focus

Things like the walls, ceiling and floor

Looks like it's on the default 16 scale, I'd suggest playing with any setting below 8 for some interesting results

For me, my personal butterzone is 4 and 2; 2 being for the very fine details and 4 for everything the light touches
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #330
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,514 Posts
    I think if you add a very subtle light entity in the middle of the room, you can really take the edge off those shadows.
    Yeah, adding a very low power constant (or linear falloff) light to room can really help if your shadows look too sharp, or the lighting is just too bright in a lot of the areas, but the overall space is still dark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #331
    April 2011
    736 Posts
    Haven't mapped in months because of what not, but today, I felt the urge to pick up Hammer again.

Obviously still a heavy work in progress. Still a helluva lot more things to do, optimization, texturing, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm kinda' losing steam with the project as I don't really know what direction I want it to take, and it's cumbersome as hell to make, especially with the broken walls which involves a lot of clipping and vertex manipulation.

So anyway, I could use some feedback as well as some ideas on what might be interesting to add to the map. As it is, I'm having a hard time coming up with good building architecture. In fact, I plan to scrap the yellow apartment building in the corner later because it just looks really ugly for me right now. :V:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 26Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #332
    December 2012
    26 Posts
    Haven't mapped in months because of what not, but today, I felt the urge to pick up Hammer again.

Obviously still a heavy work in progress. Still a helluva lot more things to do, optimization, texturing, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm kinda' losing steam with the project as I don't really know what direction I want it to take, and it's cumbersome as hell to make, especially with the broken walls which involves a lot of clipping and vertex manipulation.

So anyway, I could use some feedback as well as some ideas on what might be interesting to add to the map. As it is, I'm having a hard time coming up with good building architecture. In fact, I plan to scrap the yellow apartment building in the corner later because it just looks really ugly for me right now. :V:
    That lighting is beautiful. Are there any tutorials on advanced lighting like this anywhere? Those screenshots make my outdoor scenes look like the work of a two year old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #333
    December 2011
    103 Posts

Looks great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #334
    🚿💩🚿 just do it in the shower and stomp it down the drain asd 🚿💩🚿
    September 2008
    3,713 Posts
    If you want nice crisp shadows with those lights instead of the 'fuzziness'
    I'd suggesting upping the lightmap scale on all faces in focus

Things like the walls, ceiling and floor

Looks like it's on the default 16 scale, I'd suggest playing with any setting below 8 for some interesting results

For me, my personal butterzone is 4 and 2; 2 being for the very fine details and 4 for everything the light touches
    Thanks for the help, guys. Here's what it looks like now after I lowered the lightmap scale and added a couple of subtle lights in the middle of the room.

Does it look any better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

15. Post #335
    June 2011
    550 Posts
    Thanks for the help, guys. Here's what it looks like now after I lowered the lightmap scale and added a couple of subtle lights in the middle of the room.

Does it look any better?
    It looks great, really warm feeling. Great work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #336
    September 2009
    933 Posts
    Great job!
    At first glance, it looks like a render
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #337
    April 2011
    736 Posts
    That lighting is beautiful. Are there any tutorials on advanced lighting like this anywhere? Those screenshots make my outdoor scenes look like the work of a two year old.
    Thanks, but tbh setting up the lighting was pretty simple. I left the lightmap scale at the default 16, though I have to give the credit to the skybox, which is really beautiful, but the lighting itself took only a few simple adjustments with light_environment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #338
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,826 Posts

Does it look any better?
    Don't hide behind a small image resolution, 1080p that shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #339
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,650 Posts
    Don't hide behind a small image resolution, 1080p that shit.
    not everyone has 1080p monitors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #340
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    11,704 Posts
    not everyone has 1080p monitors.
    Gmod's poster feature
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #341
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,255 Posts

holy balls that's pretty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #342
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,650 Posts
    Gmod's poster feature
    Not everyone here has gmod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #343
    June 2011
    550 Posts
    Not everyone here has gmod
    If you're posting on Facepunch, more than likely the person has Gmod. This is the "official" Gmod forums after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #344

September 2011
    853 Posts
    holy balls that's pretty
    That actually looks like it might be from a BF map ...might be just the choice of color though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #345

May 2012
    59 Posts
    Here are some photos from another map of mine. It's important to note that I haven't added much background scenery, but the setting is pretty much a small town somewhere in the midwest. So in the end I'll add lots of grassy hills and stuff.

Trainstation

Bank

Right inside is the main desk area where the vault is located behind where they give you money

The vault door, and the slots for the keycards you find throughout the bank, and including the color of the corresponding keycard

First floor office

Second floor hallway

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

26. Post #346
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    6,754 Posts
    the lighting is quite nice, but the shapes of the outer parts of the building seriously needs to be reworked.

27. Post #347
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,152 Posts
    change the texture on the window frames indoors, its fine outside but doesnt fit indoors, also grab a desk model rather than the brush desk you have now, or if you want to keep it, i'd suggest adding some more detail to it
    also at the vault, you have 2 of the same models, might want to remove one.

28. Post #348
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,097 Posts
    I must be the slowest mapper in the world

Don't tell me about cliff & wall textures, they are subject to die
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Mapping King Mapping King x 3 (list)

29. Post #349
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11 (list)

30. Post #350
    September 2011
    692 Posts
    How do you get the fog to blend with the skybox?

31. Post #351
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,152 Posts
    where are those textures from? they dont look default to me (in the first pic)

32. Post #352
    June 2011
    550 Posts
    How do you get the fog to blend with the skybox?
    Its probably just the color of the skybox. Kind of like the almost solid gray skyboxes from the HL2 coast levels.
    where are those textures from? they dont look default to me (in the first pic)
    I'm not entirely sure but those might be from Dear Esther.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #353
    March 2013
    37 Posts

I've made a boatload of other stuff but I don't think it's good enough to show.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 16 (list)

34. Post #354
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    5,815 Posts
    I've made a boatload of other stuff but I don't think it's good enough to show.
    all content is worthy

this thread doesnt get the activity and attention it deserves
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

35. Post #355
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    6,714 Posts
    Here are some photos from another map of mine. It's important to note that I haven't added much background scenery, but the setting is pretty much a small town somewhere in the midwest. So in the end I'll add lots of grassy hills and stuff.

Trainstation

Bank

Right inside is the main desk area where the vault is located behind where they give you money

The vault door, and the slots for the keycards you find throughout the bank, and including the color of the corresponding keycard

First floor office

Second floor hallway

Another generic rp map, but i kinda like it.
    +Real two way windows.
    +Not shitty hl2 textures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #356
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,419 Posts
    After seeing all this amazing content from all of you, I really want to get back into mapping.

Great work everyone, keep it up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

37. Post #357
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    4,014 Posts
    Gmod's poster feature
    Tell me how it functions because I forgot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

38. Post #358

May 2012
    59 Posts
    Another generic rp map, but i kinda like it.
    +Real two way windows.
    +Not shitty hl2 textures
    Guess I should of elaborated on it's purpose, but I would think the same, due to the fact that any and all small town maps are role play maps.

I guess you could call it a single player adventure map, like Paranoia. You are in an abandoned town with no other being in sight, so no enemies, and you have to find your way through.

It's my cleanest map so that also probably makes it look like a dark rp map or whatever those are. But thanks for the criticism and I'll post more photos a long time from now.

39. Post #359
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    11,704 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

40. Post #360
    October 2009
    1,339 Posts
    Those bollards look way too big out front of the store - try putting the model into the ground a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)