1. Post #8041
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    Is there any way to keep portals from disappearing when an object moves?
    Yes, when we cut the neurotoxin generator we put portals on a moving surface.

Here's an example I've found on youtube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #8042
    May 2010
    865 Posts
    Is there any way to keep portals from disappearing when an object moves?
    Yes, but the physics don't work correctly when they move. They are best used for directing lasers while moving.

Edited:

I know it's old but is there a way to do this as an experiment?

This is pretty much the same thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt4VJy8jCIU
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #8043
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    Still some pretty neat stuff

Now I wonder how it will work in coop....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

4. Post #8044
    Gold Member
    October 2012
    796 Posts
    Been getting back to work on my map and I have added more windows and a balcony to either side:

Heres what im working off of:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

5. Post #8045
    June 2010
    409 Posts
    Anyone likes Portal 1 bts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 12Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

6. Post #8046
    July 2013
    2,404 Posts
    Great for KF posing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #8047
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    4,996 Posts
    So you guys inspired me. I put on some 80s gangster rap, opened up Google street view and went to work.

NYC is a big place, hopefully there's enough room for the 4 of us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 19Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8048
    Gold Member
    October 2012
    796 Posts
    So you guys inspired me. I put on some 80s gangster rap, opened up Google street view and went to work.

NYC is a big place, hopefully there's enough room for the 4 of us.
    Wooo! NYC buddies! :D
    Awesome job so far, how did you do the window curve edges? Where did you get those textures? (also the brick ones too!)
    Sorry... Im asking too much! Looks fantastic though. (I will be crediting all who helped if mine gets anywhere btw ;) )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #8049
    May 2010
    865 Posts
    I remember this :3

10. Post #8050
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,751 Posts
    I know it's old but is there a way to do this as an experiment?

Doesn't the top of the box start to poke through the blue portal until it hits the door?

Also, intersecting portals don't represent this well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #8051
    June 2010
    409 Posts
    I remember this :3
    Oh yea, I still missing Awakening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events

12. Post #8052
    March 2012
    74 Posts
    Just something that i did for practice

I'm trying to learn how do to large external ambiances (most forests like on ep 2), anyone has any useful links for tutorials about that? i'm having a bad time trying to find something any help is appreciated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

13. Post #8053
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,664 Posts
    Try looking up displacement stuff
    http://worldofleveldesign.com/catego...rain-part1.php

Other than the actual terrain, it's mostly just placing props.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #8054
    Oda
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    133 Posts
    I'm finalizing these apartments to move onto the next piece of work please tell me what i should improve on THANK YOU!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Mapping King Mapping King x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #8055
    January 2009
    856 Posts

Felt like messing with Neotokyo content, dunno if I'll make anything out of it just yet roughly based off the Earth area of System Shock 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 19Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

16. Post #8056
    Dennab
    January 2010
    6,583 Posts
    Working on an Insurgency map after taking a long break from hammer. This is about 3 days worth of on and off work so far and as you can see I'm a fool that doesn't block out maps before detailing them.

Please CC any blatant problems, thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

17. Post #8057
    July 2013
    810 Posts
    Just something that i did for practice

-pics-

I'm trying to learn how do to large external ambiances (most forests like on ep 2), anyone has any useful links for tutorials about that? i'm having a bad time trying to find something any help is appreciated
    You mean 3D skyboxes?

This also should come in handy, still applies for all source engine games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events

18. Post #8058
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    17,857 Posts
    fun little challenge: see what you can map with just 15 minutes of time (excluding compile times, loadtimes etc)

my attempt:

Edited:

took it further:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

19. Post #8059
    March 2012
    74 Posts
    You mean 3D skyboxes?

This also should come in handy, still applies for all source engine games.
    Thanks =D, this will indeed help, but i was wanting to do more like the forest area in the final fight in ep 2

Try looking up displacement stuff
    http://worldofleveldesign.com/catego...rain-part1.php

Other than the actual terrain, it's mostly just placing props.
    Thanks for the link dude =D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

20. Post #8060
    March 2014
    159 Posts
    So i have been working on a Darkrp map for about a month now but i have made 5 buildings, I know it's not much but most
    of that time was determining a layout. here is the layout

the south is the beach and water, the center is the CBD around the outside is housing and industry

Now i am not sure if it will stay like that, i might change it or i might not. Please give me some feed back. I like to make models of the map before building them

here are two of the buildings

That is the mall, i need to build the inside but left that till last

And this is the bank. On the very right you can see other buildings they are shops and a car park

the bank is a bit tall and might make it smaller but i do like it like that as it adds more modern look.

Edited:

Scratch the buildings on the very right in the last picture i removed them, i'm going to rework them then post some pictures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #8061
    July 2013
    959 Posts
    Been working on the shutdown2 remake, decided to restart with a different theme. Also made some layout changes to help fit for the TF2 playstyle:

I don't feel I need to point out that theres a lot not done, but I'd just like to point out that there's a lot not done. The BLU base looks kinda shit right now too, any tips?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

22. Post #8062
    Gold Member
    October 2012
    796 Posts
    Needs revising but:

So far so good!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

23. Post #8063
    March 2014
    159 Posts
    Needs revising but:

So far so good!
    Really nice, where did you get the picture i would like to create a few apartments

Edited:

Oh NVM XD i just scrolled up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #8064
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,961 Posts
    Been working on the shutdown2 remake, decided to restart with a different theme. Also made some layout changes to help fit for the TF2 playstyle:

I don't feel I need to point out that theres a lot not done, but I'd just like to point out that there's a lot not done. The BLU base looks kinda shit right now too, any tips?
    I think adding a new route or two could help gameplay wise. Since TF2 plays drastically different from TFC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #8065
    July 2013
    959 Posts
    I think adding a new route or two could help gameplay wise. Since TF2 plays drastically different from TFC.
    Like I said, I am making layout changes. Two of them which can be seen here is that one, theres 3 covered instead of one on the battlements to add funcionality, and two, im replacing the high catwalks with the underground path. How it works is that in the original, if you went underground, you could ride a little tram to the other end. This obviously wouldn't translate to TF2 as it doesn't have HL1 features. So now when you go to the basement, you go through a tunnel that leads to the long building in the middle, as seen here:

Don't mind the rocky wall in the doorway, the displacements aren't all properly built yet.

26. Post #8066
    Gold Member
    October 2012
    796 Posts
    Still needs more rivision. Need to correct materials, add the underground entrance, correct spacing in areas, add a wall to the left side of the building and put little toppings to the fencing on the top of the roof and not to mention the stairwell that will get you up to the apartments themselfs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #8067
    July 2013
    959 Posts
    Still needs more rivision. Need to correct materials, add the underground entrance, correct spacing in areas, add a wall to the left side of the building and put little toppings to the fencing on the top of the roof and not to mention the stairwell that will get you up to the apartments themselfs.
    you may wanna tinker with the scaling on the balcony railing textures, from some angles it looks like it it's missing an edge rail
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #8068
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    4,996 Posts
    Ghetto playground! Featuring working swingset, carousel and NBA-approved basketball court. Based it off of this place, coincidentally right across the street from the first picture:

Also added another building and crappy tenement housing with 12 rooms (thanks to oskutin for his style guide).

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 9Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

29. Post #8069
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,731 Posts
    Turn off shadows for the chain-link fence if you are keeping the lightmap scale at that size.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #8070
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,171 Posts
    Started a penthouse in my rp map, it's on the top floor of an apartment building.
    Oh my god that skybox
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #8071
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,064 Posts
    Yes, when we cut the neurotoxin generator we put portals on a moving surface.
    I heard that in that scene the portals are actually static and the whole of the rest of the level is moving
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #8072
    January 2009
    1,715 Posts
    Turn off shadows for the chain-link fence if you are keeping the lightmap scale at that size.
    I think he should make the shadows sharper

I've never seen shadows that blurry when the sun is that bright and strong, so it looks rather strange

33. Post #8073
    Gold Member
    January 2013
    1,584 Posts
    Tried doing something in the medieval theme for TF2:

I can't really tell if it worked out or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #8074
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    7,847 Posts
    Tried doing something in the medieval theme for TF2:

I can't really tell if it worked out or not.
    Looks neat, I love the corner stones on the wall.

Only thing I would criticise is the wood and white plaster wall in the second screenshot looks way too flat and undetailed compared to the rest of the scene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #8075
    March 2014
    159 Posts
    So thanks to Chizbang i created the building he is creating, his one is amazing as my one is a bit fat. Chizbang i'll make sure to include you in the list of helpers as you posted that picture thanks

Edit: if Chizbang feels that i am copying his design i will remove the buildings and make new ones :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3 (list)

36. Post #8076
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,171 Posts
    So thanks to Chizbang i created the building he is creating, his one is amazing as my one is a bit fat. Chizbang i'll make sure to include you in the list of helpers as you posted that picture thanks

Edit: if Chizbang feels that i am copying his design i will remove the buildings and make new ones :)
    Man, that reminds me of rp_hometown1999's apartments <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #8077
    Gold Member
    October 2012
    796 Posts

HOLY HELL!
    This makes me want to do a better job of mine Its an honor ;) .
    One question actually... Did you think the windows in the middle of the apartment building were too narrow?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

38. Post #8078
    March 2014
    159 Posts
    HOLY HELL!
    This makes me want to do a better job of mine Its an honor ;) .
    One question actually... Did you think the windows in the middle of the apartment building were too narrow?
    No not really, i think where i went wrong to make it fat was the bottom. I believe i stretched it out to much

Edited:

I need to find out how to make glass doors :L

Edited:

The problem i have with making buildings and maps is my OCD, it's so strong that i get really annoyed when one line is slightly off. Then i end up doing it all over again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

39. Post #8079
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,664 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #8080
    July 2013
    959 Posts
    Gorgeous, what gamemode is it for?