1. Post #2441
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,673 Posts
    Ive been working on something similar to this

Making obstacles that only block the player and not the NPC is a great way to make sure the Player does not outrun the NPC too much.
    Way too dark. I can't see much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2442
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,747 Posts
    This isn't Source, nor is it Goldsrc, but I'd still like to share this map I stumbled upon with you.

It's a custom map for the first Quake and holy fuck does it put the engine to good use, it looks absolutely amazing considering the engine's age.

I hope it'll inspire you!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

3. Post #2443
    NO MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING
    March 2009
    3,319 Posts
    This isn't Source, nor is it Goldsrc, but I'd still like to share this map I stumbled upon with you.

It's a custom map for the first Quake and holy fuck does it put the engine to good use, it looks absolutely amazing considering the engine's age.

A custom gamer video! These are the best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #2444
    December 2009
    1,194 Posts

I really admire maps like this which are made entirely of brushwork. Playing through Unreal Gold inspired a feeling of admiration in me too, the way all that huge geometry is brushwork all the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #2445
    September 2009
    1,673 Posts
    I really admire maps like this which are made entirely of brushwork. Playing through Unreal Gold inspired a feeling of admiration in me too, the way all that huge geometry is brushwork all the same.
    Agreed, i always like to make everything out from brushes. Its too bad it take so much ressources in source engine. I even model everything from brush but it take so long to compile :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #2446
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,401 Posts
    that's what propper and the export to .dxf/sketchup options are for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

7. Post #2447
    September 2009
    1,673 Posts
    that's what propper and the export to .dxf/sketchup options are for.
    Yeah i got crappy problems with propper...
    Reepblue was helping me a bit for a time but hey, he has his own life/project too.

I just got 3ds max. I will learn it and start my own animation and model myself
    I am still willing to pay for some worksp
    m me if interested (modeling or animating)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

8. Post #2448
    March 2011
    206 Posts
    Yeah i got crappy problems with propper...
    Reepblue was helping me a bit for a time but hey, he has his own life/project too.

I just got 3ds max. I will learn it and start my own animation and model myself
    I am still willing to pay for some worksp
    m me if interested (modeling or animating)
    You should try Google Sketchup if you want to make buildings and architecture as models, it's pretty simple to learn.

There are also SMD and VMF export plugins available for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #2449
    STOP
    HAVING
    FUN

OR ELSE I'M LEAVING
    January 2010
    7,515 Posts

I've been making some marquee lettering since nobody else has done it. They're all decals, and they come in both black and red.

It's not done though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #2450
    You should model the letters and sign, make them have very defined collision models so you can slide them around between the slats and shoot them off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #2451
    STOP
    HAVING
    FUN

OR ELSE I'M LEAVING
    January 2010
    7,515 Posts
    You should model the letters and sign, make them have very defined collision models so you can slide them around between the slats and shoot them off.
    I'm afraid that will have to be somebody else's job. I'm no good at modeling. Especially when it comes to collision modeling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #2452
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,701 Posts
    I'm afraid that will have to be somebody else's job. I'm no good at modeling. Especially when it comes to collision modeling.
    Use Propper to make them then. It creates all the collision models and whatnot itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

13. Post #2453
    STOP
    HAVING
    FUN

OR ELSE I'M LEAVING
    January 2010
    7,515 Posts

A demonstration of multicolored lettering to give your sign an unprofessional feeling.

I just noticed that the letters are improperly shifted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

14. Post #2454
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,128 Posts

A demonstration of multicolored lettering to give your sign an unprofessional feeling.

I just noticed that the letters are improperly shifted.
    And here you made me spend 5 minutes trying to figure out if there was a hidden message when only looking at just the red or just the black letters. Disappointed in you, you had an awesome opportunity and it was ruined.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 11 (list)

15. Post #2455
    STOP
    HAVING
    FUN

OR ELSE I'M LEAVING
    January 2010
    7,515 Posts
    And here you made me spend 5 minutes trying to figure out if there was a hidden message when only looking at just the red or just the black letters. Disappointed in you, you had an awesome opportunity and it was ruined.
    I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for the idea.

But I was basing it off this ATHF screencap:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

16. Post #2456
    December 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Use Propper to make them then. It creates all the collision models and whatnot itself.
    On the topic of Propper I am having trouble with it over in the questions megathread. If somebody could help me get it working that'd be wonderful. Still am yet to test 0.24 with source sdk base 2006.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

17. Post #2457
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,778 Posts

There should be a competition on fp which allows brush only maps, I would be interested to see what would come of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

18. Post #2458
    Source Multi-Tool
    March 2010
    1,117 Posts
    You should try Google Sketchup if you want to make buildings and architecture as models, it's pretty simple to learn.

There are also SMD and VMF export plugins available for it.
    I would strongly suggest not using Sketchup to make brushwork, most of the time everything comes out off the grid and realigning everything is a pain.

That said sketchup is awesome for exporting an SMD and importing it into 3DS max for a quick texture unwrap and a few minor alterations before exporting a final smd for compile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2459
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,747 Posts
    There should be a competition on fp which allows brush only maps, I would be interested to see what would come of it.
    That reminds me, a while back I posted a Twenty Brush Challenge. It'd be neat to have that again.

fuck it i'm making a new thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #2460
    September 2011
    690 Posts
    We had a no models contest a while ago, earlier this year.

Edited:

Here you go.
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1239644
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #2461
    September 2009
    1,673 Posts
    Here I got some more Concept work I've been working on.

It represent some sort of Import/Export area using Crane to move things in the Loading bay.
    The loading bay are simply a hole in the ground allowing the container to pass and get charged to a machine then it can get stored.

Here a better Closeup to the Loading Bay "holes"

here an other view of the place

I want to remember you, it is only a concept I made. I will rebuild a similar area in my mod. one of the place you will be able to enter into the Facility from the outside.

if you have suggestions, tips or comment about it, feel free to tell me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

22. Post #2462
    December 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Is the crane automated or is it player controlled?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

23. Post #2463
    September 2009
    1,673 Posts
    Is the crane automated or is it player controlled?
    Its for portal 2. The crane will be automated for a scene but you will pass near statics one a few times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

24. Post #2464
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,776 Posts
    Updated shots of the spawns and main area:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #2465
    STOP
    HAVING
    FUN

OR ELSE I'M LEAVING
    January 2010
    7,515 Posts
    I think I'll make white letters as well so I can cover all three marquee colors.

26. Post #2466
    April 2009
    423 Posts
    Updated shots of the spawns and main area
    That's a really clean warehouse floor, you should throw some decals in there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #2467
    September 2009
    1,673 Posts
    Cant wait to get the Oculus Rift. Should be shiped in August...

As soon I get it, I will be able to work on my portal 2 mod faster.
    People told me most of the textures look flat mostly decals etc. This id why i may spam models everywhere. Even far away so it do not look flat.

I hope i get it soon, I will have many many test to run.

28. Post #2468
    Source Multi-Tool
    March 2010
    1,117 Posts
    Updated shots of the spawns and main area:
    Floor in the first pic could use some clutter, it's to easy to notice the texture repetition otherwise.

29. Post #2469
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,770 Posts

People told me most of the textures look flat mostly decals etc. This id why i may spam models everywhere. Even far away so it do not look flat.

Mine should be coming in next week. I'm hoping to pick up on some projects as well once I get it. Gah I can't wait!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #2470
    September 2009
    1,673 Posts
    Mine should be coming in next week. I'm hoping to pick up on some projects as well once I get it. Gah I can't wait!

At least you know when you get it....

Wanna try something for me if you get it before me?
    I need feedback on my map to know what to change. I heard some textures are looking really flat. will have to work on the normal map and models...

31. Post #2471
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,770 Posts
    At least you know when you get it....

Wanna try something for me if you get it before me?
    I need feedback on my map to know what to change. I heard some textures are looking really flat. will have to work on the normal map and models...
    Absolutely. I'll PM you when I get it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #2472
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    11,658 Posts
    Does p2 have oculus support, or is it actually a mod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

33. Post #2473
    September 2009
    1,673 Posts
    Does p2 have oculus support, or is it actually a mod?
    I think it is a mod. but since valve updated the engine .. idk maybe it support it

I like to build random concept in minecraft then rebuild them in Hammer
    Here a portal map I made for Minecraft

I remade it using Hammer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

34. Post #2474
    October 2009
    1,042 Posts

Yeah sorry I might just be jealous because I will probably never own a Rift or anything like it, but how the fuck is using a Oculus Rift going to help you map/work/develop faster?

Using it wont help you magically make your levels "less flat", especially when 80% of people are going to play it on a normal screen anyways. For me the whole concept of "developing for the Rift with the Rift" is stupid.
    That is if you aren't just using this thread to brag about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #2475
    March 2008
    1,783 Posts
    The point of having a rift when developing for it is making sure that the experience is right by actually using it yourself. There's a reason valve has like 6-7 type of head/mouse movement with the rift on TF2. Because of the stereoscopic 3D a lot of things, especially in source because of the prevalence of brushes things can seem like they have very little depth. If you don't have a rift things like that will be really hard to notice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #2476
    April 2009
    548 Posts
    I got bored so I decided to port Roman's apartment from GTA IV. Still very much a WIP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

37. Post #2477
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,537 Posts
    Dunno if you guys have any interest in this, but a mapper/ coder friend on a different forum has started developing his own version of hammer.
    He's a mapper so he knows exactly what parts of hammer are completely infuriating and has changed / removed them and added a bunch of new things. Only in very early alpha though.

Forum thread is here

Apart from that though, I've been trying to create a non-shit version of glassfun from CS:S for GS:GO. Need to propper the func_breakables because right now each single block has 294 faces.. Meaning the small stack I have now is already at 29400 faces. Whoops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 20Mapping King Mapping King x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #2478
    September 2009
    1,673 Posts
    Yeah sorry I might just be jealous because I will probably never own a Rift or anything like it, but how the fuck is using a Oculus Rift going to help you map/work/develop faster?

Using it wont help you magically make your levels "less flat", especially when 80% of people are going to play it on a normal screen anyways. For me the whole concept of "developing for the Rift with the Rift" is stupid.
    Its not to get the map looking better, I want to make the mod for the oculus. I want to have the feeling that I am really in when i wear it. but it is also to mess around with the engine, since I will get it I want to use it for something not just having a game prop in my house.

the only difference may just be quite a lot more of details to the maps. Need to work on the Lighting too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #2479
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,537 Posts
    Its not to get the map looking better, I want to make the mod for the oculus. I want to have the feeling that I am really in when i wear it. but it is also to mess around with the engine, since I will get it I want to use it for something not just having a game prop in my house.

the only difference may just be quite a lot more of details to the maps. Need to work on the Lighting too.
    Just because you have more control over where you look, doesn't necessarily mean you can suddenly make a map look better for a rift. It'll look identical as if you were using a keyboard and mouse. I have to agree with Grenade, it does just seem like you are bragging about having a rift.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2480
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,770 Posts

Sorry if it came across to you as bragging. I frequent the mapping section a lot and thought it was neat to see someone else (will be) using the oculus for their projects in source. It might not help me work "faster", because that's not what I'm going to be using it for. But rather give oculus players a sense of immersion through varying different entities with each other. Trying to get the player to have that weird feeling in your stomach when you look over a ledge 1000ft up is just one of many options. I'm just interested to see what others will be using their projects for. I mean, it's something new and I'm excited to try it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)