1. Post #481
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,445 Posts

Practicing my lighting.

MaddaCheeb: make something cold now

BATTLEFIELD (plus accidental rave):

EDIT: Those last two are just for fun - I really tried with the first one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

2. Post #482
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    5,368 Posts
    Your battlefield one is inaccurate

There, fixed it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 2Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

3. Post #483
    March 2013
    37 Posts
    The light shining on the ceiling above the light models you're using doesn't really make any sense. For the light model you're using, you should just use a light_spot. Also the lights right in the middle of the room with no source don't make any sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #484
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,445 Posts
    What I'm having trouble with is making light sources that aren't just spammed everywhere to light the room yet not making little light sources that just make the ground explode with light. I have little mini light sources to try and fix this problem, and it's all around a struggle of it's own.

Those two lights are literally set to 5 for the brightness value.

Edited:

I've had horrid experiences in the past with light_spots not lighting ceilings, and I've found the only way to combat it is with the use of subtle light entities. WITNESS THE TERROR THAT IS LIGHT_SPOT ALONE:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    March 2013
    37 Posts
    What I'm having trouble with is making light sources that aren't just spammed everywhere to light the room yet not making little light sources that just make the ground explode with light. I have little mini light sources to try and fix this problem, and it's all around a struggle of it's own.

Those two lights are literally set to 5 for the brightness value.
    You really don't need to use two light_spots as a source for one light. You also don't need that regular light entity there since there shouldn't be any light shining up above the light model you're using.

Fart around with the focus and fadeout settings along with brightness for light_spots until you get satisfactory results.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #486
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,445 Posts
    So, I removed the lights and I guess I vacuumed the light out of the ceilings or something 'cause this happened:

EDIT:

What I'm attempting is an fun, eyecandy Stronghold map for Garry's Mod. It's supposed to be spacious because players are able to use props and form teams at will, but I'm also trying to make it interesting for those solo Deathmatch players. I'm going to be sticking a lot of static props along the walls and stuff, still, so it doesn't seem too empty. I'm starting the first building:

(the outside sucks right now and the texture of the brick wall under the fences is glitching out)

I'm also trying to make it so it's not so easy for someone to set up an easy base in a large building. This building in particular has four doorways leading from the outside in as well as a ton of windows. In Stronghold you can only make two doors and only 15 props, so I hope my map design will encourage team play and strategy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Mapping King Mapping King x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #487
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,785 Posts
    just a apartment im working (fully explorable)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

8. Post #488
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    6,714 Posts
    Not sure about that stairwell.
    It looks more like industrial one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,222 Posts
    @wauterboi: You could add $reflectivity "[1 1 1]" to the vmt of the floor, that will make the floor reflect the spotlight's light and reach the ceiling. I once did that to every custom material of a house:

As you can see, during the daytime, the whole inside is realistically bright, without the need of any additional light sources. I wish all materials had $reflectivity "[1 1 1]" by default.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Mapping King Mapping King x 2Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #490
    A living example of an OCD programmer
    June 2009
    6,384 Posts
    I agree, texture of the floor and ceiling frame doesn't look home-ish at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

11. Post #491
    February 2011
    1,497 Posts
    NEEDS MORE BLOOM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #492
    February 2010
    624 Posts
    Don't know if i want to continue working on this. I think i might but i don't know where i want to go visual with it yet. Also birthday post! :D

edit: Its for CS:GO, There's a bridge in the middle that would go up and down.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #493
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,445 Posts
    @wauterboi: You could add $reflectivity "[1 1 1]" to the vmt of the floor, that will make the floor reflect the spotlight's light and reach the ceiling.
    I dunno if I'm just retarded but last night I was totally fiddling with that and nothing happened, like at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #494
    March 2007
    861 Posts
    Or if you're mapping for cs:go, just grab a premade ceiling light from one of the many instances available to you in the official SDK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Russian Federation Show Events

15. Post #495
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,228 Posts
    You really don't need to use two light_spots as a source for one light. You also don't need that regular light entity there since there shouldn't be any light shining up above the light model you're using.

Fart around with the focus and fadeout settings along with brightness for light_spots until you get satisfactory results.
    I said this many times and I'll say this again, a light_spot does not mean you should remove regular light entities. It's never one or the other. Just because that light source seems totally directional, it isn't. The best way to go about it is have a high powered light_spot (about 500) right below the model, and a low powered light entity (around 50 give or take) below that.

@ waterboi, no, you don't need a $reflectivity. You just have to play around with your lighting and see which fits the best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,764 Posts
    Haven't opened Hammer since last summer. Feels nice to get back in the swing of things.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #497
    November 2005
    132 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events Funny Funny x 10Late Late x 1 (list)

18. Post #498
    February 2011
    1,497 Posts
    You've spent way too much time on something you can probably get sued for
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 13Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    600 Posts

I don't know about the performance impact, but upping the cubemap resolution looks fucking sexy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,228 Posts
    Been working on something for the past couple days to kill time. Could really use architect tips on making this more believable / aka not fall apart.

Props to whoever guesses what I'm using as a reference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Mapping King Mapping King x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #501
    Headhack Honcho
    July 2009
    4,822 Posts
    Been working on something for the past couple days to kill time. Could really use architect tips on making this more believable / aka not fall apart.

Props to whoever guesses what I'm using as a reference.
    Looks quite a bit like Mass Effect's Docking ports, though now that I see the filenames, Noveria. I really like it, though how big is the docking space? Also the suppourts and architecture look solid, loving the exposed beams on the side of the bay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

22. Post #502
    February 2010
    624 Posts

?!?! I'm guessing it is i couldn't find a better shot.

Edit: Damn ninjas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #503
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,222 Posts
    Vehicle testing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

24. Post #504
    December 2012
    26 Posts
    That's hilarious. It'd definitely be fun to fuck around in and be all nostalgic.

Poor WoW-- it died a gruesome death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,228 Posts
    More Noveria referenced stuff. Not an exact copy but it never hurts to put your own touch in.

Here's the overview:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 18 (list)

26. Post #506
    Anyone know that really white art gallery map that was posted here before?

27. Post #507
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,419 Posts
    So, I went to Valve. Sadly, I came right when some big business stuff popped up, and Gabe couldn't come out and talk. I did talk to the front desk manager, Alyssa, for a while. Also, I ran into Robin Walker, and said hi.

Alyssa felt bad that I couldn't meet Gabe, so she gave me a bag of swag out of nowhere. I wasn't expecting it at all!

Pics:
    http://files.1337upload.net/IMG_2189.jpg

http://files.1337upload.net/IMG_2186.jpg

http://files.1337upload.net/IMG_2191.jpg

http://files.1337upload.net/IMG_2198.jpg

http://files.1337upload.net/IMG_2195.jpg

http://files.1337upload.net/IMG_2219.jpg

BACK ON TOPIC:

I asked Alyssa to write down some names, and she gladly did so. She wrote down these names for Gabe:

Oskutin
    LATTEH
    Phone-Booth
    Stiffy360
    Gamedev
    nicolasx21
    GoldPlatinum
    Lamarr

I'm sorry if I missed one or two of you talented mappers, I just named some off the top of my head when I was there.

I'll probably be doing a tour of Valve Software when I go back out there in the summer for colleges!

Edited:

fuck the pics are huge, ill try to downsize them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 26Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #508
    Way to not mention me and my amazing never released art maps...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,779 Posts
    Way to not mention me and my amazing never released art maps...
    Let's both go cry in a corner together :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #510
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    8,693 Posts
    I know I'm more than capable of making a great map, it's just that usually once I've worked on a map for some length of time, I run out of ideas on how to expand the map. I tend to end up with a couple rooms and a hallway, or nothing at all really.

One of these days, I'll overcome this mapper's block and pump out something amazing.

One day...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #511
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    6,714 Posts
    Why i can't give more than 1 ratings.
    I would give you winner, friendly and zing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

32. Post #512
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,143 Posts
    </3

On another note, that's awesome that you got to visit there, totally not jealous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #513
    September 2011
    692 Posts
    Not at all, definitely not jealous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,719 Posts
    Damn my name wasn't mentioned, and I have at least a pronounceable and easy to remember name </3.
    Oh well, Ive switched over to UDK anyways and abandoned Source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #515
    February 2010
    624 Posts
    Wow that's awesome! wish i could go. Thanks for mentioning me! :D

To bad i live on the other side of the country.

36. Post #516
    March 2012
    123 Posts
    Damn my name wasn't mentioned, and I have at least a pronounceable and easy to remember name </3.
    Oh well, Ive switched over to UDK anyways and abandoned Source.
    Well, good luck with UDK. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #517
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,839 Posts

By a friend

Last night I taught my friend how to map for CSS (he's had a LITTLE bit of prior experience with Hammer but not significantly much). Thus far he's got basic brushwork, prop usage, func_breakable and stairs down. I'll post more work of him as he gradually, significantly develops his mapping skills. It's always nice to see someone's abilities grow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Mapping King x 9Friendly x 2Agree x 1Winner x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #518
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,785 Posts
    started to make a hideout (based on one cartoon)
    first 3 pics are just some testing and first compiling

did some urban style

and a car garage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

39. Post #519
    March 2012
    123 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=G7yYWGO-DUo
    Yay now I need to make some crates and details, oh optimisation also ! x)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=135458640
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #520
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,785 Posts
    replaced the decent garage with 2x larger hangar garage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)