1. Post #6321
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,790 Posts
    Oh my~.. That is one sweet ride. Gonna put an obnoxiously large, low revving four pot in it like they were apt to do back then? Or is it getting a ridiculously high revving V12?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #6322
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,423 Posts
    Oh my~.. That is one sweet ride. Gonna put an obnoxiously large, low revving four pot in it like they were apt to do back then? Or is it getting a ridiculously high revving V12?
    4 Or 6 and sometimes 8 if you were lucky, huge displacement, low compression, low revving, deep throaty growl like you can hear the exhaust cutting out from around the valve edges. Really beautiful stuff, imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #6323
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,797 Posts
    A little something something I'm working on

1959 Chevrolet Bel Air, it's my first American car in GMod. Would just like some constructive criticism before I move on.

Going to be powered by a 5.7 V8 with a hilariously smooth and slow shifting automatic transmission I'm working on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 11Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #6324
    May 2013
    369 Posts
    Please tell me that you are gonna put visible glass in it, because right now the roof looks really funky other then that theres not much to mention, other then that its looking superb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #6325
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,797 Posts
    Please tell me that you are gonna put visible glass in it, because right now the roof looks really funky other then that theres not much to mention, other then that its looking superb.
    Haha yeah, definitely going to do the windshield and stuff on it. The windshield is quite a major part of that car so I'm working on it as we speak!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

6. Post #6326
    October 2012
    14 Posts
    are you talking about my car? i put a medium sized inline 4 and changed its sound because thats the power it needed, i dont wanna go fancy because either the engine would be too weak or too powerful, with the medium i4 it doesnt spin out but is still my fastest car yet

also, its 4wd with a 30/70 front/rear split, i stole the split from TheLoudTrout and its perfect i think
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

7. Post #6327
    January 2012
    1,824 Posts
    bergh.I think the name hypersnake a little ridiculous
    That's not the name, but a hint to the past. Back to 2012 when a thing without a baseplate and a V12 was one of, if not the fastest ACF car.

Edited:

A little something something I'm working on

Going to be powered by a 5.7 V8 with a hilariously smooth and slow shifting automatic transmission I'm working on.
    looks like one of your best yet jack
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #6328
    June 2012
    372 Posts
    another tenk to collection
    aiming to be 10t

in WIP of course
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #6329
    June 2013
    73 Posts
    Hello Long Time no see..
    Here's a truck a made a few days ago.
    I'm not going to finish it.
    Anyway, It's based of a Kenworth T409SAR. Forgot To mention it's 214 props.. including 4 holo fuel tanks.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #6330
    August 2014
    256 Posts

also, its 4wd with a 30/70 front/rear split, i stole the split from TheLoudTrout and its perfect i think
    You can do torque split in gmod?!
    I need to get a hold of this brilliant technology right now!
    And jack, the Bel Air is looking superb. Not long until we can have a luxury Americano shootout.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #6331
    January 2012
    1,824 Posts
    You can do torque split in gmod?!
    I need to get a hold of this brilliant technology right now!
    And jack, the Bel Air is looking superb. Not long until we can have a luxury Americano shootout.
    Yeah, I've been doing it on my ACF and E2 powertrains for a while now. You can do it by having different ratios on the front and rear axles, for E2 engines, it usually means a dual flywheel or no flywheel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

12. Post #6332

March 2013
    20 Posts
    Use [t] tags to thumb an image. It'll be clickable to full size.

Like this, here's mine:

you win, imma work on a different project. as i messed up the scaling on the second version.

next project that i'll get halfway through:

color schemes for the jeep. the lines are just paint things that will look cooler as i continue

AGREE for green/maroon
    DISAGREE for orange/tan
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #6333
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,431 Posts
    You know what I have been thinking about? E2 Instruments that work like that one Piano entity on GMod Tower. Would be so nice to be able to just spawn an instrument and play it on a server.

14. Post #6334

March 2013
    20 Posts
    orange/tan wins
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #6335
    October 2012
    14 Posts
    ok i have been trying to make an e2 engine for about 5 hours now and every time i try to do gears and/or clutch i fail horribly
    if anyone is willing to give me a sample of theirs (id love to have gears and or clutch together with it) i could learn how to make mine
    would be cool if someone taught me how to do that too
    <3

16. Post #6336
    January 2012
    1,824 Posts
    ok i have been trying to make an e2 engine for about 5 hours now and every time i try to do gears and/or clutch i fail horribly
    if anyone is willing to give me a sample of theirs (id love to have gears and or clutch together with it) i could learn how to make mine
    would be cool if someone taught me how to do that too
    <3
    Teaching and donating are two different avenues. Posting what you have so far and what you have been trying to do but failing would be a good way to learn. Ptugasantos and Unslinga may be the best people to ask around here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #6337
    March 2009
    579 Posts
    i like building houses

600 props
    140 fps without it, 35 fps when spawned.
    8 fps when turned the lights on..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #6338
    January 2012
    1,824 Posts
    i like building houses

600 props
    That house is really nice. Maybe you should try and see if you can find ways to optimize construction without loosing details because that would be cool and not hurt your FPS as much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #6339
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,423 Posts
    i like building houses

600 props
    I love seeing stuff like this. I remember back when Gunski and co. made that big floating house. Was the coolest thing ever.

That house is really nice. Maybe you should try and see if you can find ways to optimize construction without loosing details because that would be cool and not hurt your FPS as much.
    "loosing"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #6340
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    876 Posts
    I love seeing stuff like this. I remember back when Gunski and co. made that big floating house. Was the coolest thing ever.
    you mean... this? :>

that thing was fun to make haha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #6341
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,618 Posts
    I wish we had better house textures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #6342
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,507 Posts
    Took like 6 tries to record that and we still messed up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #6343
    June 2012
    372 Posts
    so the T-67 Ready:)

14t armed with 76mm M1A1 gun (120mm penetration)

max armor only 21mm ("historcial")

24. Post #6344
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    961 Posts

Showcase
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 14Artistic Artistic x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #6345
    April 2011
    846 Posts
    hot car
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #6346
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,799 Posts
    The problem is when people just make completely hollow turrets, which is silly. It already seems to be common practice to use a prisoner pod layed down in the back of the tank instead of proper vertical seat, and I've seen a lot of people have their gearboxes connected straight to one of the middlemost roadwheels in a track instead of a drive sprocket. what's the worst is when I see invisible composite armor on the outside of a tank hull; perfectly flat surface visually, but then smartsnap shows a bunch of invisible armor plates above that at strange angles.

Bullshit like that (and anyone who doesn't think the above is bullshit is lying to themselves, there's no reason for any of it to be legal) is why I just leave servers anymore when I start getting fired upon by tanks built in that way. Even calling them tanks in the traditional sense of the word is such a gross misuse.
    As an admin on the Dildobuildo build and kill server (dont ask) we have a set of rules that we enforce with ACF contraptions. Its a bit of a list but it generally revolves around things being nice and reasonable. For instance, your tank must reasonably fit at least 3 or more crew members (acf driver pods) before ammo is put in the tank. This solves a lot of problems with pancake tanks with bullshit pod positions, and it also prevents generally bullshit tank proportions. Tbh every server should have rules like that, it just makes tanks a bit more balanced. Really everyone should build their tanks with a crew in mind, because not only are they more reasonable, but they usually look pretty good too, and depending on where you want your ammo you have the choice of 3 positions for the pod you use to control the tank instead of some more obvious ones. Ofc you dont need to actually keep 3 pods in the tank.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #6347
    January 2014
    199 Posts
    As an admin on the Dildobuildo build and kill server (dont ask) we have a set of rules that we enforce with ACF contraptions. Its a bit of a list but it generally revolves around things being nice and reasonable. For instance, your tank must reasonably fit at least 3 or more crew members (acf driver pods) before ammo is put in the tank. This solves a lot of problems with pancake tanks with bullshit pod positions, and it also prevents generally bullshit tank proportions. Tbh every server should have rules like that, it just makes tanks a bit more balanced. Really everyone should build their tanks with a crew in mind, because not only are they more reasonable, but they usually look pretty good too, and depending on where you want your ammo you have the choice of 3 positions for the pod you use to control the tank instead of some more obvious ones. Ofc you dont need to actually keep 3 pods in the tank.
    Wrong. We dont enforce people to put seats to simulate crew, you misunderstood that with the failed GGG rule, that Sestze tried to enforce in his servers to keep away pancake tanks, that was based on adding a seat per 20 ton. Our idea is simply make tanks sizes reasonables, with it, its armor and tonnage, to avoid minmaxing: Minmaxing is making something like, for example: a really tiny tank (probably even tankette sized) with 400mm frontal armour, thats 20 ton. Thats minmaxing.
    We encourage our players to build properly scaled tanks, without either being too unrealistic, neither too underpowered. Usually, tiny tanks with lots of armor dont weight that much, which is really abused, and unrealistic.

Example of minmaxing:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #6348
    January 2012
    1,824 Posts
    On Almost-There we had a rule that 40 ton tanks had to have a PHX 2X4 or comparable baseplate and if your hull was shorter than 56 inches, you weren't allowed to compete.

29. Post #6349
    October 2012
    14 Posts
    ok i made something out of nothing
    i have a not-working clutch (only increases and decreases rpm), basic gears (this is where i need advice) and some dynamic sounds
    the problem with gearing is i have rpm decreasing as gear changes, so when gear 1 rpm is 700, the same moment when you change gear its gonna be 500 at gear two, the problem starts when i stop and the rpm is negative, i tried doing a clamp but it only makes it stay at idle rpm for 2 seconds and then kicks off. how can i go about doing this? hope this isnt too confusing

30. Post #6350
    March 2012
    622 Posts
    I get the whole balancing factor as far as ACF tanks go, but what if you're just hilariously bad at making tanks and, despite the small size of the vehicle in question, it performs like it would in a historical weight class?

31. Post #6351
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,799 Posts
    The whole 3 seats thing is my way of quantifying what is reasonable and balanced, not something based on tonnage. The whole reasonable thing is well and good but I thought there needed to be a way to explain it to people in a way that was hard to misunderstand. The end result is that tank size tends to be reasonable and tank design tends to be reasonable, and someone who has no prior knowledge of tanks and how they should look can make a tank that follows the rules.

32. Post #6352
    March 2009
    579 Posts
    SOMEONE STOP ME, HELP
    cant stop building houses... this one has 319 props, which comes from some optimization (even with modular build metod, each wall segment is 48 units wide, 2 plates thick. each window has 7 parts.

low fps drop, but with lamps on.. omg forget it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #6353
    October 2012
    14 Posts
    okay i figured it out, instead of using a sound drop now im using a gear ratios table and a final drive, my friend jan suggested it, and it works perfectly! now i have a working e2 engine! :D

34. Post #6354
    August 2014
    87 Posts
    SOMEONE STOP ME, HELP
    cant stop building houses...
    cut your fingers,if you have a shredder in your sink, use it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #6355

September 2013
    69 Posts
    I got 99 problems but a 200th page ain't one?

Dammit, i didn't realize this isnt minutes XD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

36. Post #6356

May 2012
    226 Posts
    I joined a random build server when this happened:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 7Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #6357

March 2013
    20 Posts
    Tis complete, but not driving yet.
    ~ 320 Props

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

38. Post #6358
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,423 Posts

Totally not a reimagining of Karbine's Stoss racer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #6359
    December 2013
    22 Posts
    When a limo and a hot rod had a babby... this was born.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

40. Post #6360
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    2,993 Posts
    Because some people were arguing earlier about ammo cache placement in a tank and other balancing things, I just wanted to post some pictures of the inside of my Abrams. Follows almost no actual specs of the m1, besides main gun diameter and propulsion type. 59 ton not-even-close-to-a rapemobile. Has composite ductile/non-ductile armor in some areas to deal with HE vs. brittle armor.

Side view. Because lolammocount it's stuffed to the brim with ammo, but due to trying to get the most out of ammo crates (Smallest crate possible for a round (Sometimes a box can hold 1.5 rounds so I try to go the next size down)), ammo cook-offs are actually really really minimal. The only bad spot is the rear which is a clusterfuck (with no clipping so it's 100% legal) of transmission, ammo, and fuel. Turret has ammo inside too because there's no such thing as making your tank too explosive. Also, I'm not a cheaty motherfucker so the red wheel is the actual drive sprocket.

Frontal view. There's even ammo up here but it's cook-off effect is stupidly low and most of the time I don't even notice it go off. Also has dual medium turbines for MAXIMUM ASS RAPING TORQUE (I'm bad with steering so every pound is used). Most composite armor is found here in the front angles (only the lower side due to sharp angling) and on the turret front. Good for stopping HE brittle-armor obliterating rounds and APHE.

Top view of the turret and all it's under-powered glory. Rear area above the ammo cache is 2 layer composite to deal with helicopters/planes.

What happens (almost every time) when the lower body's ammo cache explodes (Driver/copilot usually survive). I'd like to thank hull sectioning (placing walls between areas) for the crew surviving most of the time:

Basically I wanted to show that you can indeed have all your ammo stored in the hull and not be op. Also, my turret ammo actually almost never detonates, so I personally consider turret ammo to not be a needed weakness to balance tanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)