1. Post #641
    January 2012
    494 Posts
    Somebody should start a Beta Discussion Thread. I'm no good at OP's so I'm just throwing the suggestion out there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #642
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,671 Posts
    Version 6 MDL
    (0x0000) id: int
    (0x0004) version: int
    (0x0008) name: char[64]
    (0x0048) length (bytes): int
    (0x004C) unknown count: int
    (0x0050) unknown offset: int
    (0x0054) unknown count: int
    (0x0058) unknown offset: int
    (0x005C) unknown count: int (animations?)
    (0x0060) unknown offset: int
    (0x0064) unknown count: int (textures?)
    (0x0068) unknown offset: int

Texture Format
    name: char[64]
    width: int
    height: int
    offset: int

This is a work in progress, feel free to help out if you know what you're doing. I barely have any idea what I'm doing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #643
    August 2005
    56 Posts
    Version 6 MDL
    (0x0000) id: int
    (0x0004) version: int
    (0x0008) name: char[64]
    (0x0048) length (bytes): int
    (0x004C) unknown count: int
    (0x0050) unknown offset: int
    (0x0054) unknown count: int
    (0x0058) unknown offset: int
    (0x005C) unknown count: int (animations?)
    (0x0060) unknown offset: int
    (0x0064) unknown count: int (textures?)
    (0x0068) unknown offset: int

Texture Format
    name: char[64]
    width: int
    height: int
    offset: int

This is a work in progress, feel free to help out if you know what you're doing. I barely have any idea what I'm doing
    I have a bit of experience with Valve's model formats in C++. I'll be messing around with these models in my spare time. It's like the hl2 beta all over again :D

Edit:
    Messed around with the header a bit before bed, this is what I have so far.. not extensively investigated yet
    As you can see there's a lot missing in this version (compared to retail v10). No hitboxes, no sequence groups, no flags, etc..

Edit again: more structures, I never got into animations so I don't really know how to work with those :(
    Code:
    //Structures for Half Life 1 Alpha studio models *.mdl

struct mstudiobone_t
    {
    	char	name[32];	// Looks like only first bone has a name?? all following are null
    	int	parent;	// parent bone, root = -1
    	int	unused[21]; //no positions or rotations are stored here like later versions, default pose must be stored in animations
    };

struct mstudiotexture_t
    {
    	char	name[64];
    	int	flags;
    	int	width;
    	int	height;
    	int	index;
    }; 

struct mstudiobodyparts_t
    {
    	char	name[64];
    	int	nummodels;
    	int	base;
    	int	modelindex; // index into models array
    };

struct  mstudiobonecontroller_t
    {
    	int	bone;	// -1 == 0
    	int	type;	        // X, Y, Z, XR, YR, ZR, M
    	float	start;
    	float	end;
    };

struct studiohdr_t
    {
    	int 	ident;
    	int 	version;

char	name[64];
    	int 	length;

int 	numbones;               // bones
    	int 	boneindex;

int 	numbonecontrollers;     // bone controllers
    	int 	bonecontrollerindex;

int 	numseq;         // animation sequences
    	int 	seqindex;

int 	numtextures;    // raw textures
    	int 	textureindex;
    	int 	texturedataindex;

int 	numskinref;     // replaceable textures
    	int 	numskinfamilies;
    	int 	skinindex;

int 	numbodyparts;           
    	int 	bodypartindex;

int	unused[14];
    };
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 6Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #644
    July 2012
    102 Posts
    that hi-poly robot kinda remind me the P-Body on portal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Indonesia Show Events Disagree x 6Agree x 2Late x 2Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #645
    December 2012
    2,531 Posts
    that hi-poly robot kinda remind me the P-Body on portal
    no, it reminds me of macross
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #646
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    5,471 Posts
    when a friend sent me the first picture in the op, saying "HALF LIFE ALPHA LEAKED", i thought that was some kind of joke
    journalists must've wondered what the hell was going on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #647
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,120 Posts
    So has anyone from Valve responded to this yet? I'd imagine they don't care that it's out, but I'd just like to know what their reaction is, and if newer employees have had access to this before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #648
    Dennab
    March 2011
    2,257 Posts
    Since dead was perma'd, I'll explain a bit on his behalf (he was about to make a post litterally minutes before getting perma'd saying sorry for the confusion when he said converted, he meant converted as in the max files to the compiled models, a poor choice of words on his part- then wanted to explain, which I'm about to). The model was included in some leftovers in the half life sdk that has been around forever and anyone can grab. He opened the max files inside, and exported them to smds. He ripped the textures using a ripper, from my knowledge those textures weren't in the sdk. He gave me a link to the model to post here: http://puu.sh/1MgO9

If you want to look around for yourself in the sdk, feel free http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life...lf-life-sdk-23

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Barney R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

aka why milkshape needs to slow the fuck down with smoothing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #649
    three wieners
    August 2009
    884 Posts

Milkshape's smoothing fucks up pretty much everything if you don't do it very subtly (in my experience)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #650
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,047 Posts

I've never seen this blur effect before.
    They mentioned in RTB that Mr.Friendly was supposed to kick freeman's glasses out and blur it's vision, seems like this 'effect' is what they were talking about
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 17Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #651
    Robots FTW
    December 2011
    863 Posts
    They mentioned in RTB that Mr.Friendly was supposed to kick freeman's glasses out and blur it's vision, seems like this 'effect' is what they were talking about
    I don't think it's related. It's just glass blur to make graphics better. And there was no Mr. Friendly at that point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #652
    November 2007
    68 Posts
    The Barneys and Scientists look like something out of Jimmy Neutron.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #653
    August 2011
    1,176 Posts
    Whew... whoever gets their hands on that disk will be a god in my eyes.

14. Post #654
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    14,753 Posts
    That sounds like a dumb gameplay mechanic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #655
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,845 Posts
    That sounds like a dumb gameplay mechanic.
    that's why Mr. Friendly isn't in the final game

also it was apparently a pain to program
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #656
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,919 Posts
    I thought it would've been neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #657
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    Dennab
    August 2010
    7,138 Posts
    PowerVR PCX2 works with it fine, steady around 28fps in 32-bit color

If you think these screenshots are normal, consider that this is one of those exotic video cards that don't have a proper GL icd, and does things very differently (infinite planes, tiled rendering, no blending modes, video passthrough on the bus, and one of the few to even have a stencil buffer and 32-bit color at the time). PowerVR was 3dfx's first real dangerous competitor since it was the only other that performed as well.
    Holy hell that looks really clean.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

18. Post #658
    August 2011
    1,176 Posts
    In this fan-made trailer by james benson, something similar to the glasses mechanic happens around 1:32.

And I have to say, it looks pretty damn awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 7Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 3 (list)

19. Post #659
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,123 Posts
    I would pay anything for a full playthrough of half life with that style + freeman's mind but more serious.

Seriously, anything. Anyone up to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #660
    I would pay anything for a full playthrough of half life with that style + freeman's mind but more serious.

Seriously, anything. Anyone up to?
    give me a million so we can talk about it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Zing Zing x 7 (list)

21. Post #661
    July 2007
    103 Posts
    also it was apparently a pain to program
    Considering there was no such thing as pixel shader (well, except for Rendition :D), visual consistency across the renderers would be a bitch to maintain.

Real-time blurring in software was already very possible at the time (especially as demonstrated in Magic Carpet back in 1994, still one of my favorite software renderers of all time). Hardware? Good luck with that!

Also Mr. Friendly, disregarding the blur glasses stuff, he'd be an unfun monster. I would imagine it would be implemented the same way how DNF's Pregnators work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #662
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    566 Posts
    Wasn't Mr.Friendly also supposed to rape you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Late Late x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #663
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,481 Posts
    Wasn't Mr.Friendly also supposed to rape you?
    It was meant to bring out homophobic fears in some players as a rape threat.

Don't quote me on that, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

24. Post #664

February 2012
    385 Posts
    Has anyone suggested porting the alpha singleplayer maps over for Sven Co-op yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #665
    ask me about my fetish fetish
    April 2012
    225 Posts

I want that as a DM playermodel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #666
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,172 Posts
    The soldiers where bullet sponges even before the release.

I really loved the alpha.

i will leave this here:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #667
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,639 Posts
    The soldiers where bullet sponges even before the release.

I really loved the alpha.

i will leave this here:

The alpha in general plays way worse than the final game does. Enemies take forever to kill and, if the included demos are any indication, most of the maps have at least one puzzle that's basically "oh no there is an enemy that will tear you apart if you get anywhere near it. yuo must find a way to bypass it!!!!!11" puzzle. I am so thankful they got rid of the minigun guy and made the minigun turrets killable because holy christ having puzzles centered around them all the time is annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 3 (list)

28. Post #668
    three wieners
    August 2009
    884 Posts
    I'd like to see a Source remake of the alpha similar to Black Mesa.

Just with a lot of things toned up though (like the overwhelming AI)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #669
    August 2009
    750 Posts
    Rate me late if I am, but has anyone from Valve said anything about this alpha?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

30. Post #670
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    15,985 Posts
    Have the alpha maps been ported to the current version of Goldsource?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #671
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,596 Posts
    Is there much benefit to porting them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

32. Post #672
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    15,985 Posts
    Is there much benefit to porting them?
    ease of playing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

33. Post #673
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,539 Posts
    Have the alpha maps been ported to the current version of Goldsource?
    They work in retail without any conversion... though some of the textures are a tad broken. I wouldn't say the maps are the highlight of the leak either way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

34. Post #674
    ask me about my fetish fetish
    April 2012
    225 Posts
    "oh no there is an enemy that will tear you apart if you get anywhere near it. yuo must find a way to bypass it!!!!!11".
    ok
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Informative Informative x 3 (list)

35. Post #675

January 2012
    209 Posts
    help, i've been trying so many different things over the past few days to get this to run, but i can't find anyone with a similar problem

i've deleted the .dll and whenever i try to open enginegl.exe, i get an engine error pop-up saying "Hunk_Alloc: failed on 160 bytes"

i use 64bit windows 7, if that matters (it probably does)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #676
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,919 Posts
    So is the alpha in a state where it can be modded? I'd think now that we have it all at our disposal we can touch it up and make mods using the alpha content. Considering it's still essentially Quake at this point it wouldn't be awfully difficult.

37. Post #677
    July 2007
    103 Posts
    That's easy for you to say. Coincidentally having the same exact menu system as Quake doesn't make it any easier. The MDL format already has no relation to Quake at this point of development, not to mention there's no source code for the alpha. Modding for the alpha itself is a futile effort.

It's far more interesting to explore what's going on inside the alpha and how far along they've come, rather than 'beta remakes'. Seriously, good luck doing the irish scientist voices.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #678
    August 2011
    1,176 Posts
    So is the alpha in a state where it can be modded? I'd think now that we have it all at our disposal we can touch it up and make mods using the alpha content. Considering it's still essentially Quake at this point it wouldn't be awfully difficult.
    I don't know if it is, but it would be cool. Having the Missing Information equivalent for the alpha would make my urge for behind the scenes content complete
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #679
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,381 Posts
    I don't know if it is, but it would be cool. Having the Missing Information equivalent for the alpha would make my urge for behind the scenes content complete
    I've been working on something called Arrowhead (which is basically Missing Information for Half-Life) for a while (almost three years). Me and my buddy were originally working on Quiver (you can find it on ModDB), before it died. Unlike Quiver, Arrowhead has basic role playing elements (like hacking). You can build your own character. It's more closer to Valve's original vision for Half-Life from early 1997. I'm currently the only person working on the project. The development process is slow and frustrating (but it's also fun), and there is no play testers. You can see screenshots on my Photobucket account.

http://s281.beta.photobucket.com/use...rary/arrowhead
    Password: arrowhead

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qJGdC4bVl6l_el

Nothing is final. Everything is work in progress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Turkey Show Events Winner Winner x 9Informative Informative x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

40. Post #680

February 2012
    385 Posts
    I've been working on something called Arrowhead (which is basically Missing Information for Half-Life) for a while (almost three years). Me and my buddy were originally working on Quiver (you can find it on Mod Database), before it died. Unlike Quiver, Arrowhead has basic role playing elements (like hacking), you can build your own character. It's a one man development team, the development process is extremely slow and frustrating, and there is no play testers. Here's my personal gallery:

http://s281.beta.photobucket.com/use...rary/arrowhead
    Password: arrowhead

Nothing is final. Everything is a work in progress, or prototypes.
    I'd totally be willing to playtest for you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)