1. Post #1
    Brought to you by the letter B
    December 2006
    11,067 Posts
    If you don't have a lot of time, watch the 5th and 7th video, they're the most well-filmed.

So me and my brother went to Virginia with our Mom (the three of us live in Québec) to spend Christmas with her best friend's family, so obviously me and my brother had to use the opportunity to shoot some guns.

Ok, so the title isn't completely true. We got to shoot an M1911 and an AR-15, but give me a break, I had to find a gun brand that rhymed with Canuck. It's true, however, that it was the first time we used any kind of firearm.

Also, sorry for the video dump. I had to upload these individually as I was on my laptop over there and didn't have access to video editing software.

Anyway, here are the videos put in chronological order (first one was my absolute first time shooting a gun, second one was my brother's first time, etc...)

Watch in 1080p!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 12Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,655 Posts
    my favorite one was the assault bazooka but i also liked the glockenpoppers

bienvenu au EU
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2006
    11,067 Posts
    my favorite one was the assault bazooka but i also liked the glockenpoppers

bienvenu au EU
    We were just there on Vacation for 2 weeks. Now I'm already back in Montréal, but shooting those guns was definitely the highlight of that trip for me!

4. Post #4
    June 2011
    2,099 Posts
    buy some real ones, its not like you can't do that here.

More Canadian shooters the better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    12,698 Posts
    Guns are fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    5,143 Posts
    Sorry!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    December 2006
    11,067 Posts
    buy some real ones, its not like you can't do that here.

More Canadian shooters the better
    Eh, as much as it was fun playing with one, I can't see myself dropping down a couple hundred bucks for a gun. I mean, it would cut down on my video game budget, and I'm already short on cash after the last Steam Sale. Of course, if I was rich I wouldn't hesitate to go to Texas a couple of times to have fun shooting a wide range of guns. It's a matter of money and convenience right now, really.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    747 Posts
    wow scrub you couldnt even do a 360 noscope
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    December 2006
    11,067 Posts
    wow scrub you couldnt even do a 360 noscope
    This might interest you, then:

I mean, it's pretty much common sense, but actually hearing exactly why quickscoping in real life would be stupid is nice. Combat Facts in general is a pretty average show, but at least some of the things they demontrate are very interesting, like the one about the ballistic knife or the riot shield.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,641 Posts
    I remember shooting a .22 when I was like, 8 years old.

Now I'm looking to buy my own .270 bolt action rifle. Gotta get my PAL first though, which sucks ass that you have to pay for it.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,020 Posts
    Don't teacup pistols.
    Please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2006
    11,067 Posts
    Don't teacup pistols.
    Please.
    It was the very first time in my life I shot a gun, give me a break. The son of my mother's best friend was the one who brought us to the shooting range, and besides him giving us a crash course on how not to endanger ourselves and other people with a firearm, I had no other training.

I mean, I can see now that it takes time to get better with them, like anything else. Surprisingly, I can also see that being in good physical condition actually helps with accuracy and stability. I'm a pretty weak guy, so I had a hard time getting hits on target and had a bit of difficulty compensating for the recoil.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    4,851 Posts
    Try out a shotgun, if possible. I hear they've got some strong-ish recoil.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,666 Posts
    It was the very first time in my life I shot a gun, give me a break. The son of my mother's best friend was the one who brought us to the shooting range, and besides him giving us a crash course on how not to endanger ourselves and other people with a firearm, I had no other training.

I mean, I can see now that it takes time to get better with them, like anything else. Surprisingly, I can also see that being in good physical condition actually helps with accuracy and stability. I'm a pretty weak guy, so I had a hard time getting hits on target and had a bit of difficulty compensating for the recoil.
    I try to shoot regularly (about once a week). Practice shooting is incredibly fun and a great way to waste time (and money!). I can tell you that managing the recoil isn't much so about your physical condition but more about your mental condition and knowledge. Knowing how to handle the firearm properly and not anticipating the recoil help tremendously when you're trying to get a small grouping. Always keep a loaded weapon pointed down range and keep your finger off the trigger when you're not ready to fire, some weapons have very sensitive trigger pulls. I understand this was your first time and being nervous is to be expected but try not to be scared of the weapon and know that you're always in control of it. Have fun and be safe!

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    607 Posts

It's not exactly your fault. Your instructor should have corrected your grip/stance. If had a proper grip and a better stance you would be able to handle recoil and shoot accurately. When you teacup a pistol, your left hand does nothing. You might as well have been shooting one handed.

Keep up the shooting, man.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    5,143 Posts
    FPSQuebec
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    December 2006
    11,067 Posts
    It's not exactly your fault. Your instructor should have corrected your grip/stance. If had a proper grip and a better stance you would be able to handle recoil and shoot accurately. When you teacup a pistol, your left hand does nothing. You might as well have been shooting one handed.

Keep up the shooting, man.
    Interesting to know, thanks. Also, the guy giving me directions wasn't really my instructor, he was just a friend of ours and while he knows how to properly handle a gun (and he did give us a crash course on gun safety), he probably didn't want to spoil the experience of shooting a gun for the first time so he didn't really try to correct what we were doing, unless it was potentially dangerous (he did tell me several time to only put my finger on the trigger when I was ready to shoot, and only then).

18. Post #18
    December 2006
    11,067 Posts
    Why make a new thread when I got this one already, right?

Hey, so this might actually become a yearly thing for me and my bro. We're probably going to be visiting Virginia each year from now on, and of course that means shooting more guns during my visit.

My Mom's best friend's son, Titus, bought an SKS a couple of weeks ago, and we might go to the range tomorrow to try it out. I'll have some videos of it uploaded around the same time as last year, but for now here are some cringe-inducing pictures of me posing with it (me in the black shirt, my bro in the plaid shirt and Titus in the green t-shirt):

Feat. State-of-the-Art ShakyCam™

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,606 Posts
    Pretty jelly because in canada you can get guns that us normal americans can't or would be hard to find like the Type 97 or SVT's

Happy shooting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    if you ever drop by Florida, you can come hang at the range with me and maybe a few other facepunchers and have your way with a few different mosins and assalt gats
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    December 2006
    11,067 Posts
    Which Type 97 exactly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_97

I'm guessing it's the Sniper Rifle, but I'm legit wondering.

And apparently you're right regarding the SVT-40.

Damn, makes me interested in buying one in that case.

22. Post #22
    Which Type 97 exactly?

He's talking about the QBZ that takes STANAGS. and yeah, SVT-40's are super cheap in Canuckistan, compared to the US where they cost updwards of 2 grand for beaters. Every Canadian should own one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2005
    2,605 Posts
    Which Type 97 exactly?

You can get an SVT-40 for ~$300
    SKS for ~$100

and when he says Type 97 he means:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    December 2006
    11,067 Posts
    Thanks for the info, guys.