1. Post #1
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    [h2]RP_City17_V1[/h2]

[h2]Map Details[/h2]
    Map Name: rp_city17_v1
    Map Type: Half-Life 2 (Roleplay)
    Map Setting: Day/Sunny
    Game Requirement: None (Only Garry's Mod is enough)
    The City 17 map is a 90% exported map from Half-Life 2. The rest 10% is basically the work to merge some parts of the map, but also interiors of all the buildings that are possible to enter (except Train station, this is from Valve). The idea of the map was to make a map in daytime, because I felt it started to get boring to only play on HL2RP maps with nights only. I also chose to export the most of the map from HL2, because I wanted to make a map where you kind of recongnice yourself in City 17, when you play here. The map tries to keep the C17 feeling, with the citadel and buildings that you might recongnize from HL2, I can say that making the interiors exact like in HL2 was pretty much impossible task because of limits and proportions. I also wanted to make a map without EP1/EP2 content, make most people have ability to play it.
    The map was originally made for HeartBit HL2RP community that I owned, as I shut it down and the map just lies here. I decided to make a public release out of it.

The map is probably not 100% finished, so feel free to PM me here on Facepunch about ideas to new stuff, fixes, bugs and so on!
    * Nexus (Armory, Incinerator Room, Hospital, Detainment Block, Research Lab, Shooting Range, Training Facility, 6 Offices, Administrator Office, Meeting Room, Broadcasting Room)
    * Big Apartments (9 apartments with low standard)
    * Small Apartments (2 apartments with high standard)
    * CWU Building
    * 3 Shops
    * Sewers with only one way to Resistance Base

* Some shops has girds that can be lifted up/down to open/close the counter in the shop.
    * The high standard apartments has mirrors in the bathroom, and TV with broadcasting on it.
    * The Nexus broadcasting room has ability to turn on a camera to broadcast yourself. It also has ability to turn on Judgement Waiver and Autonomous Waiver, I decided not to add voice alert on these waivers as most gamemodes do this themselves.
    * The judgement waiver triggers citadel to alert (and ground shakes on the alerts), also a orange lamp will blink on each broadcasting screen. Autonomous Waiver blinks red light on the screens, and has no special effect except of that, it's just more like a indication light.
    * The detainment block contains one interrogation room with one-way window, and also a torture (or more brutal interrogation room)
    * The resistance base has a airlock that is like the on in Black Mesa East chapter in HL2
    * Administrator Office and 1 other office has window curtains, cool for secret meetings.
    * The meeting room has a blackboard, which has no function. It was made black in thought of adding text to it, to make text well visible.
    * Nexus has a Incinerator Room where everything dropped in the hole there, gets destroyed.
    Subscribe via Workshop: rp_city17_v1

90% of map credit: Valve & Half-Life 2

Beta Testers: ZipWhip, crazyfrogv2, Cynical Crow, Darrenadams, EpicPancakes, Night Hawk, runedogmaster6, Master Eggplant and other people from HeartBit Roleplay Community.

Plaza

High Standard Apartment Plaza

Nexus Plaza

Nexus Inside

(Nexus) Administrator Office

(Nexus) View from office to Main hall

(Nexus) Detainment Block

(Nexus) Research Lab

(Nexus) Shooting Range

(Nexus) Meeting Room

High Standard Apartment

Low Standard Apartment

Civil Workers Union Building

Change Store

Cafè

Sewer

Sewer 2

Resistance Airlock

Resistance Base
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner x 9Artistic x 2Friendly x 2Optimistic x 2Dumb x 1Funny x 1Mapping King x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,665 Posts
    Hey, wanna know why valve had all that nodraw in this area?

It's so that it fakes casting shadows from the glass which doesn't do it automatically. Consider adding it back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    Hey, wanna know why valve had all that nodraw in this area?

It's so that it fakes casting shadows from the glass which doesn't do it automatically. Consider adding it back.
    I'm aware of this, I removed it with purpose as it was the main reason of hitting compile limits. So it was either nice shadows, or bigger map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative x 6Disagree x 1Agree x 1Winner x 1Mapping King x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

December 2011
    5 Posts
    I do already have that map :P But it's sad you do an public release :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    4,997 Posts
    While this is just a bunch of decompiled maps and SDK examples, me and a large team of my friends tried to do something like this over the course of a year. I can really respect that you were able to finish this map without Hammer shitting itself, and I can't imagine all you had to have done to fix the errors made by decompiling. Seriously, I thought something like this was impossible in the Source engine, and I only had the governmental plaza connected to the trainstation with no interiors at all.

So yeah, you're a pretty cool guy in my book.

Edited:

Of course, there's always the fact that you haven't compiled the final version yet and have yet to know if it even works, but at least you got this far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2012
    31 Posts
    I alpha and beta tested this map, and I have to say... Even though parts of it were taken from the original Half-Life 2 game, there are still many parts that have been created by Blt950.

I especially like the function in the Combine Nexus building that allows you to enable the Dr. Breen's Cast that is displayed on the monitors around the city, like in the game. Very awesome, may use this map for my own community when rp_city8 starts to get boring.

7. Post #7
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    Of course, there's always the fact that you haven't compiled the final version yet and have yet to know if it even works, but at least you got this far.
    It works, don't worry :)

I especially like the function in the Combine Nexus building that allows you to enable the Dr. Breen's Cast that is displayed on the monitors around the city, like in the game. Very awesome, may use this map for my own community when rp_city8 starts to get boring.
    That function with Breencast is removed completly since the Beta. Due to only "welcome to city 17" worked, but problem was that if you ran the map in multiplayer, the sound didn't emit. So it was pretty much useless, though it was very cool and working in singleplayer.
    Unless someone knows why that happened, and there's a fix for that. I would gladly re-add it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    Released for download! Have fun!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    April 2009
    1,707 Posts
    Congratulation on release... It's better than I expected, pretty big. I love entrance to rebel base
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    I am not a billboard.

July 2009
    598 Posts
    It's fine, good for a generic city rp.

11. Post #11
    December 2010
    541 Posts
    So this map is just a large map of others fused together?
    downloading..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    So this map is just a large map of others fused together?
    downloading..
    No. The exterior is two maps from HL2 merged (Nexus and Trainstation). And the interior is made from scratch by me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    September 2009
    1,361 Posts
    I'm loving the map, this'll be useful for HL2 poses and stuff of that nature. Great job man!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,487 Posts
    I feel it lacks something, not exactly sure what, its just a feeling. It is a good map though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    February 2009
    1,415 Posts
    I tried doing something like this myself a while back. I got to the point where I had connected the train station and plaza together, and I had begun working on some of the interiors.

Anyway, you've done a much better job at this than I ever could have. I'll try it out later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2010
    541 Posts
    No. The exterior is two maps from HL2 merged (Nexus and Trainstation). And the interior is made from scratch by me.
    So it is other maps fused together, with small part made by you.
    Either way still downloaded and like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,719 Posts
    You still managed to not fix the skybox bug with it being orientated wrong. It would be nice if you fixed it.

Add _hdr to the skybox name in the maps properties to fix this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    You still managed to not fix the skybox bug with it being orientated wrong. It would be nice if you fixed it.

Add _hdr to the skybox name in the maps properties to fix this.
    Thanks! Noted for the next version, if there'll be any.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2010
    60 Posts
    The Nexus and apartments look really good imo :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    6,714 Posts
    Low standard apartment:
    Lots of windows giving light to the apartments.
    Wallpapered walls with hiqh quality wooden paneling.
    Also it has bar like kitchen.
    High standard apartment:
    Shitty apartment without any windows.
    Cheap plaster walls.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 7Zing Zing x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,065 Posts
    Low standard apartment:
    High standard apartment:
    Cheap plaster walls.

And the entrance to the High standard apartments you basically have to crawl through to get into them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    Low standard apartment:
    High standard apartment:
    Cheap plaster walls.

You got a point!
    Nice failure from my side there :) I guess I'll make the low standard apartments worse in next version :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    6,714 Posts
    Or just swap them?

24. Post #24
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    Or just swap them?
    Or that ! Done :)
    The thought was that what high standard should be high standard, and yea. When I made the map, but well.

25. Post #25
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    RP_City17_v1 is now available for Steam workshop/subscribement!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    545 Posts
    This actually looks pretty sick. Thanks for sharing it :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,171 Posts
    I like it but I get some bad lag even on my computer, when I exit the train station. Optimization issues?

28. Post #28
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    I like it but I get some bad lag even on my computer, when I exit the train station. Optimization issues?
    I'm not familiar with this. The map has been optimized.
    Could you post your computer specs?

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,171 Posts
    I'm not familiar with this. The map has been optimized.
    Could you post your computer specs?

Maybe my settings being at max could contribute. Otherwise, I like the map except that there is a distinct lack of "off-limit" rebel-type areas.

30. Post #30
    November 2008
    418 Posts

Maybe my settings being at max could contribute. Otherwise, I like the map except that there is a distinct lack of "off-limit" rebel-type areas.
    Your computer specs are more then good enough. It has to be maybe something with your Garry's Mod? I'm not sure, at least I don't think it's the map's "fault".

If I make a v2 of this map, I'll include some off-limit areas, I'm aware they are kind of lacking here :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    4,997 Posts
    It doesn't happen on my computer, and my specs are about the same as his. Probably worse.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,171 Posts
    If I make a v2 of this map, I'll include some off-limit areas, I'm aware they are kind of lacking here :)
    Awesome! I'm not concerned with the frame-rate at this point, typically it goes from 60 capped to about 23-27. I think it's because I have my AA set to the maximum, 16x or something? Anyway, I really love the map as is. Great work.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    545 Posts
    Works fine on my computer, thank you. :)

34. Post #34
    November 2011
    18 Posts
    What about vmf?

35. Post #35
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    What about vmf?
    I don't plan on releasing VMF currently.

36. Post #36
    April 2009
    1,629 Posts
    [h2]RP_City17_V1[/h2]
    you should really add more details such as window frames
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    you should really add more details such as window frames
    I can't agree more with you really, it looks completly fucked up without :)
    Will be done in next version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    January 2012
    31 Posts
    I would suggest adding more shading to some areas in the map, giving it more detail. As well perhaps expanding the area as it quite tiny once you've explored everything, consider adding maybe another district area past one of the forcefields that would suit a 'lower standard' place were more anti-citizen roleplay could play out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    July 2011
    112 Posts
    Great work with the map! I hope you'll make a version two. It would be nice if you expanded the map slightly and added more buildings to enter. Also, one minor bug I've noticed is that the door to the underground rebel base is locked by default, so no one can enter it without nocliping into the base and unlocking it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    November 2008
    418 Posts
    Also, one minor bug I've noticed is that the door to the underground rebel base is locked by default, so no one can enter it without nocliping into the base and unlocking it.
    It's not a bug. It's made that way. If I keep the doors open. What will happen after a server restart/crash? Some minge maybe finds the stupid idea to sneak into Rebel base, goes stright in and gets every supply.
    It's locked with purpose :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)