1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,913 Posts
    Britain should eventually stage an in-or-out referendum on membership of the European Union, one of Labour's shadow cabinet has said.

Defence spokesman Jim Murphy told the BBC it could take place after the economic crisis ended and the future of the eurozone was more certain.

He added that "almost everyone" in the Labour Party would campaign for the UK to remain in the EU.

But there was no "date circled" for a referendum, he added.

The 17 members of the eurozone, of which the UK is not a part, are expected to back further fiscal and political integration in an effort to prevent a repeat of the debt crisis.

This has led to fears of a "two-tier" Europe developing, with many arguing it could result in the UK leaving the organisation altogether.

Labour leader Ed Miliband's close ally Jon Cruddas said last week that the policy review he is chairing would look at the case for an in/out referendum.

But former leader Lord Kinnock described such a vote on Europe as "a gigantic distraction (which) would disable political and economic activity in the rest of the EU".

Speaking to BBC Two's Daily Politics after addressing Labour's annual conference in Manchester, Mr Murphy said: "I think at some point there will have to be a referendum on the EU. I don't think it's for today or for the next year, but I think it should happen."

On closer integration within the eurozone, he said: "I think after that, the time for the referendum will be upon us. I don't have a calendar with a date circled. I think we will do it when the time is right."

Mr Murphy, a former Europe minister who drove the EU's Lisbon Treaty through Parliament, said he would not back a "pick and mix" poll offering voters a range of different options for the UK's future relationship with the EU.

He added: "My preference would be an in-or-out referendum when the time comes. Whenever the referendum comes, almost everyone in the Labour Party, along with the Liberal Democrats and British business, will be arguing we should stay part of the EU, because it is good for our economy and good for Britain."

Shadow chancellor Ed Balls said: "I've said as well that moment may well come but I don't think it's now. I don't think it's a priority today because actually we need to get our economy moving and the European Union economy moving. We need reform in Europe."

He added: "I'm not a saying Jim is wrong but Jim's not saying we need to have that referendum now."

A Labour party spokesman said: "Labour are very clear that this is not a decision we could or should sensibly make now. None of us can fully predict where Europe will be in a few month's time never mind the next few years time. The priority must be sorting out this economy."

Prime Minister David Cameron hinted last week that he might be ready to call an EU referendum after the 2015 general election, saying that the coming years would see "opportunities for a new settlement between Britain and Europe" which would require "fresh consent from the British people".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19790050
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 India Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    BAZ
    Dav0r, buy me a custom title. I'm far too poor ;_;
    July 2005
    12,627 Posts
    why
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2011
    594 Posts
    Blind squirrel theory! Seriously though, I can support this.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,584 Posts
    Good, let the people speak. As long as they actually follow through on the decision if it comes to leaving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Isnt it more beneficial to stay in the EU then to leave the EU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,913 Posts
    Yes but UKIP told everyone that it costs 40m a day and all we get is immigrants, so everyone wants out

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 India Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    November 2009
    170 Posts
    Depends what you mean by EU.

People generally seem to dislike the legislation that is imposed on EU member from Brussels, which is generally seen as too bureaucratic as well as being unrepresentative. However, I think people would support remaining in the common market, which Britain needs as more then 50% of our exports go there. Also, having a close military alliance with European nations doesn't hurt either.

8. Post #8
    Im going to assume UKIP are a bunch of right-wing nationalists, and that overall its more beneficial economically to stay in the EU then any sort of loss to it that there may be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

March 2011
    820 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_1mF-3JTI

EU got TOLD. Fuck the EU... That is all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10

March 2012
    320 Posts
    They want back in but are lying through their teeth.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    426 Posts
    Yes but UKIP told everyone that it costs 40m a day and all we get is immigrants, so everyone wants out

The Daily Mail confirms this is true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_1mF-3JTI

EU got TOLD. Fuck the EU... That is all.
    farage is a maniac and will ruin this country if he gets his way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,738 Posts
    as much as i disagree with him though, he is a great speaker.

14. Post #14
    as much as i disagree with him though, he is a great speaker.
    good oratory does not distinguish truth from falsehood

15. Post #15

March 2011
    820 Posts
    Because Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron did a great job. Let him have his turn, he can't do any worse mate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16

March 2012
    320 Posts
    Because Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron did a great job. Let him have his turn, he can't do any worse mate.
    Exactly, sometime the lesser evil is better. Besides it's about time we get off the merry-go-round that is Tory-Lab Switch over every few years. Tories save, squeeze the shit out of the economy. Labour spend, and break the economy. No one knows what UKIP would be like.. or liberal on their own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    So because the previous few prime ministers had some failings, we should elect a man who will predictably run this country into the ground.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #18

March 2011
    820 Posts
    So because the previous few prime ministers had some failings, we should elect a man who will predictably run this country into the ground.
    I take it you are qualified to predict what a politician will achieve in his time as PM then? The Tories and Labour have proven that they are absolutely useless. The people want someone new. If Farange fucks up, the people will have to look elsewhere again :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,738 Posts
    good oratory does not distinguish truth from falsehood
    of course. i can only dream of a political system which isn't fuelled by charisma, confidence, and SHOCK POLICIES! but at least ukip are a minority at present.

20. Post #20

March 2011
    820 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Wlp...eature=related

Brown gets DESTROYED. Can you seriously disagree with Farange here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,628 Posts
    Labour, please stop trying to be the Tories and go back to being Labour.

22. Post #22
    January 2012
    86 Posts
    I would honestly vote to leave; I hate the imposed laws that come out of Europe. I understand the setbacks that will occur in the market and such, but having our judical system undermined by a third party on a daily basis annoys me greatly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    November 2007
    7,738 Posts
    I would honestly vote to leave; I hate the imposed laws that come out of Europe. I understand the setbacks that will occur in the market and such, but having our judical system undermined by a third party on a daily basis annoys me greatly.
    which imposed laws do you not like

24. Post #24

March 2011
    820 Posts
    which imposed laws do you not like
    The Imposed ones ;)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,628 Posts
    That's just daily mail talk, he EU does a lot of good, more than most right wingers would like you to think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26

March 2011
    820 Posts
    That's just daily mail talk, he EU does a lot of good, more than most right wingers would like you to think.
    Yeah man! You're so right! I'm just loving the way Britain is right now, especially the bit where my brother can't walk home alone from school for fear of being mugged, and the fact that you need a fucking degree to work the till in mcdonalds. This Union sure is making Britain a better place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    November 2007
    7,738 Posts
    The Imposed ones ;)
    if they're made on a daily basis then you must be able to provide at least one example of an EU law that has an objectively negative impact on society

Edited:

cmon man

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,628 Posts
    Yeah man! You're so right! I'm just loving the way Britain is right now, especially the bit where my brother can't walk home alone from school for fear of being mugged, and the fact that you need a fucking degree to work the till in mcdonalds. This Union sure is making Britain a better place.
    How is that in any way the EU's fault? The EU has absolutely no control over stuff like that, blame the likes of the Tories for stuff like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    March 2010
    1,038 Posts
    A lot of the EU laws are pretty much identical to the ones we had already, like the whole bananas fiasco
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,819 Posts
    Labour, please stop trying to be the Tories and go back to being Labour.
    Thatcher turned Labour into a tory clone.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,628 Posts
    Thatcher turned Labour into a tory clone.
    Hey new labour was alright, they did a lot of good, but this new new labour is terrible.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,887 Posts
    If Nigel Farage has convinced you that leaving the EU will make you qualified for a job at McDonald's, he's probably lying.

33. Post #33
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,424 Posts
    "What do you not like about the EU?"

And then you proceed to list things entirely unrelated to the EU's policies specifically?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34

August 2011
    690 Posts
    lolwut. UKIP MEPs got the worst attendance in the EU Parliament. They basically gives Britain an arrogant image to its European neighbours. Say what rhetoric that's ingrain in your head, but Farage and his clique is just awful and not helpful to British interests.

Edited:

If you're complaining on the under-representation, I agree. It is a problem. Tough luck! The national governments, including the British gov., designed this very system! But it seems you're implying as if the UK has no say to this laws. Errmm.. no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    15,083 Posts
    Depends what you mean by EU.

People generally seem to dislike the legislation that is imposed on EU member from Brussels, which is generally seen as too bureaucratic as well as being unrepresentative. However, I think people would support remaining in the common market, which Britain needs as more then 50% of our exports go there. Also, having a close military alliance with European nations doesn't hurt either.
    That's because most people have no clue what the actual legislation entails and still believe in shite like bananas the right curve and stuff like that which is untrue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)