1. Post #1
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    Dennab
    January 2009
    24,631 Posts
    The owner of a new men's clothing store "Hitler" in Ahmedabad, India, is willing to change its name if he would be compensated for his branding expenses. Members of the city's tiny Jewish community condemned the store's name, and an Israeli diplomat said the embassy would raise the matter "in the strongest possible way."
    Wednesday, August 29th 2012, 01:37 PM

SAM PANTHAKY/AFP/GettyImages
    A security guard looks on from the roof of the 'Hitler' clothing store in Ahmedabad on August 28, 2012.

The owner of an Indian clothing store said Wednesday that he would only change its name from "Hitler" if he was compensated for re-branding costs, amid a growing row over the new shop.
    The outlet, which sells Western men's wear, opened 10 days ago in Ahmedabad city in the western state of Gujarat with "Hitler" written in big letters over the front and with a Nazi swastika as the dot on the "i".
    "I will change it (the name) if people want to compensate me for the money we have spent -- the logo, the hoarding, the business cards, the brand," Rajesh Shah told AFP.
    He put the total costs at about 150,000 rupees ($2,700).
    Shah insisted that until the store opened he did not know who Adolf Hitler was and that Hitler was a nickname given to the grandfather of his store partner because "he was very strict".
    "I didn't know how much the name would disturb people," he told AFP by telephone from Ahmedabad. "It was only when the store opened I learnt Hitler had killed six million people."
    Members of the tiny Jewish community in Ahmedabad condemned the store's name, while a senior Israeli diplomat said the embassy would raise the matter "in the strongest possible way."
    "People use such names mostly out of ignorance," Israel's Mumbai Consul General Orna Sagiv told AFP.

One of the two owners of the 'Hitler' clothing store, Rajesh Shah, arranges clothing in his shop in Ahmedabad on August 28.
    Esther David, a prominent Indian writer in Ahmedabad who is Jewish, said she was "disturbed and distressed" by the shop, but added that some Indians used the word "Hitler" casually to describe autocratic people.
    David said Jewish residents had sought to change Shah's mind about the store's name and told him about the Holocaust.
    The row evoked memories of a controversy six years ago when a Mumbai restaurant owner called his cafe "Hitler's Cross" and put a swastika on the hoarding, claiming Hitler was a "catchy" name.
    The restaurant owner eventually agreed to change the name after protests by the Israeli embassy, Germany and the US Anti-Defamation League.
    Hitler attracts an unusual degree of respect in some parts of India, with his book "Mein Kampf" a popular title in bookshops and on street stalls.
    Gujarat schoolbooks issued by the Hindu nationalist state government were criticised a few years ago for praising Hitler as someone who gave "dignity and prestige" to the German government.
    source
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 134Starred Starred x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,860 Posts
    well if it draws customers' attention
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 51Agree Agree x 12 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,134 Posts
    just saw this on facebook (posted by yahoo news) the guy has to be taking the piss, i mean the litle swastika on the I tops it all of. How could you not know what it is?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 47Funny Funny x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,904 Posts
    Hitler attracts an unusual degree of respect in some parts of India, with his book "Mein Kampf" a popular title in bookshops and on street stalls.
    India is a weird place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 80Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    I had no idea there were Jews in India.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Funny Funny x 12Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2007
    159 Posts
    It should be noted the swastika is a religious symbol is most of asia

EDIT: This, however, is the nazi one. See below for examples.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    June 2005
    14,184 Posts
    just saw this on facebook (posted by yahoo news) the guy has to be taking the piss, i mean the litle swastika on the I tops it all of. How could you not know what it is?
    Because not all the world is homogeneous with Western european history?

It's no difference from seeing those hipster maoist themed cocktail bars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    India is a weird place.
    Hitler talks a lot about the glorious "Aryan" race.

The "Aryan" people of history actually settled Iran and India.

Hell, the name of Iran means "Land of the Aryans".

And so Indians that hear about Hitler booming "their people" (because Hitler had no idea what an actual Aryan is) thinks he's a cool guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 16Agree Agree x 11 (list)

9. Post #9
    May 2005
    8,593 Posts
    Shah insisted that until the store opened he did not know who Adolf Hitler was and that Hitler was a nickname given to the grandfather of his store partner because "he was very strict".
    "I didn't know how much the name would disturb people," he told AFP by telephone from Ahmedabad. "It was only when the store opened I learnt Hitler had killed six million people."
    Members of the tiny Jewish community in Ahmedabad condemned the store's name, while a senior Israeli diplomat said the embassy would raise the matter "in the strongest possible way."
    "People use such names mostly out of ignorance," Israel's Mumbai Consul General Orna Sagiv told AFP.
    "Oh I swear, I had no idea. I am totally innocent"

Yeah, you totally just pulled the nazi swastika out of your ass and plopped it on the sign too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 9Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    Not when it's dotting the eye of "Hitler".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

11. Post #11
    May 2005
    8,593 Posts
    Horizontally, yes.

THAT is the Nazi Swastika.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2012
    148 Posts
    Because not all the world is homogeneous with Western european history?

It's no difference from seeing those hipster maoist themed cocktail bars.
    Still quite a fucking coincidence that he slapped a swastika-sign on his logo, along with the logo being Hitler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    September 2008
    917 Posts
    I had no idea there were Jews in India.
    They are everywhere

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    June 2005
    14,184 Posts
    Still quite a fucking coincidence that he slapped a swastika-sign on his logo, along with the logo being Hitler.
    It's no coincidence. Where did I say it was?

15. Post #15
    Official Bro of DD
    Dennab
    June 2010
    12,111 Posts
    Yea noDachi was meaning that people dont really know what it means fully like the mao themed hipster bars cause mao wasnt really a nice guy either
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2007
    159 Posts
    Not when it's dotting the eye of "Hitler".

oh yeah that's totally different

He did do it on purpose

Horizontally, yes.

Taking a look at it, you're absolutely right.

17. Post #17
    religious swastika

Nazi swastika

There is a difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,538 Posts
    Related
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 31Starred Starred x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    December 2009
    18,376 Posts
    The Nazi Swastika was twisted, almost as if they knew History had a sick sense of irony.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    I like the fat, greasy nerds that wear MLP shirts three sizes too small
    Dennab
    February 2010
    906 Posts
    At least they're not a convenience store that sells "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong"...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 20 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,681 Posts
    I could believe his story about not knowing the history of the name. How many people know where the "rule of thumb" saying came from even though they use that phrase all the time?

But when you use the swastika to dot the 'i', that shows knowledge of connection between name and symbol, which is evidence of knowledge of more than just a family nickname.

I believe this guy just cleverly decided to use a controversy to stir up publicity and thus business. It's a profit deal, and the fact that he has the balls to ask for payment to not use this name is proof.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

22. Post #22
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    13,776 Posts
    I'd call this a successful business venture. I know about the place now and I'm on the other side of the world. Controversy is the best way to sell a product.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    9,239 Posts
    Horizontally, yes.

Doesn't really matter. Nazi's used them clockwise and counterclockwise. And tons of other weird angles and what not. What really is important in what context it is used.

As by some defined as a group of Hindus.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    ( • Y • )ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ)
    March 2005
    15,934 Posts
    People outside the West or Israel just don't give a shit about the Holocaust; it never really affected them. Sort of like how most people in Europe aren't all that bothered by the Trail of Tears (for lack of a better example)

25. Post #25
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 25Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    July 2009
    4,660 Posts
    I wonder if this place has a Youth department
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,094 Posts
    There's some weird shit happening in India, first a vagina tightening cream and now a store named after Hitler. I would debunk it as a hilarious coincidence if they didn't slap a swastika over the I.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,369 Posts
    how do you not know who Adolf Hitler is

I know India isn't exactly known for its education but come the fuck on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,681 Posts
    Consider how much our culture is steeped in WWII era material. Movies, games, books, tv shows, we get forcefed a ton of that stuff since we're born.

Now consider a non Western culture, who didn't really have much to do with WWII, how much of that stuff do they see?

There are people in Japan who don't know about the atrocities the Japanese committed in WWII simply because they were not taught about it while they were growing up. You don't just automatically know something, no matter how important it might be to other people in the world.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    6,650 Posts
    That means everybody who was involved in the launch of this brand also didn't know about Hitler. Designers, lawyers, accountants, workers, and so on

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,692 Posts
    I would like to know how he linked the swastika and the name Hitler, yet somehow did not catch what the whole deal was about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,354 Posts
    Yea noDachi was meaning that people dont really know what it means fully like the mao themed hipster bars cause mao wasnt really a nice guy either
    tell me more about these mao hipster bars

33. Post #33
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    Consider how much our culture is steeped in WWII era material. Movies, games, books, tv shows, we get forcefed a ton of that stuff since we're born.

Now consider a non Western culture, who didn't really have much to do with WWII, how much of that stuff do they see?

There are people in Japan who don't know about the atrocities the Japanese committed in WWII simply because they were not taught about it while they were growing up. You don't just automatically know something, no matter how important it might be to other people in the world.
    They knew enough for the cultural nickname "Hitler" for someone annoyingly strict came around to them.

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    October 2010
    5,187 Posts
    Oh Hitler, now that we have another reminder of him in the form of a message board thread, what a crazy bastard.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,941 Posts
    I'm inclined to say "Liar, liar, pants incinerating".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

36. Post #36
    Proud member of Dirty Mike and da boys
    May 2010
    4,378 Posts
    This is out of mein kampfort zone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,688 Posts
    Yeah, considering the Swaztica in the logo I think he knew what he was doing.

Also, this is an amazing record. Godwin's Law coming into effect during the first post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,681 Posts
    That means everybody who was involved in the launch of this brand also didn't know about Hitler. Designers, lawyers, accountants, workers, and so on
    If I'm a designer and you're willing to pay me for a Hitler logo, you're getting a Hitler logo. Same with all the rest, they do what they're paid to do. If that logo is unusable and comes back to bite you on the ass that's your problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,718 Posts
    There was some sort of weird fascination with Hitler that had been stirring up in India for awhile, especially with the youth. I believe a bollywood movie about him was in the makes as well, almost glorifying him and makin some sort of love story about him? I don't recall the details though, or even if it's still in production.

My guess is no.

40. Post #40
    August 2012
    20 Posts
    If the shop owner had named his shop "King George VI", and festooned the sign with a logo of a British soldier skull-fucking a high-caste Indian, he would have been murdered along with his whole family, and the entire village he was born in. But "Hitler", no problem.

The mobs would have killed the logo designer, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)