1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,354 Posts
    JERUSALEM - A court in northern Israel ruled Tuesday that Israel and its military were not negligent in the 2003 death of a U.S. activist who was crushed by an army bulldozer.
    The judge called the death a "regrettable accident," and said Rachel Corrie "did not distance herself from the area, as any thinking person would have done."
    "She consciously put herself in harm's way," Judge Oded Gershon said, adding that the driver of the bulldozer could not have seen Corrie, 23.
    She was wearing a bright-orange jacket and standing between the armored vehicle and a Palestinian home to prevent its being torn down in the Palestinian Gaza Strip. Fellow activists who were with Corrie have no doubt that the bulldozer driver saw her and went so far as to roll over her twice.
    isn't that the point of activism? not to run away?

"The security forces at the Philadelphi Corridor during 2003 were compelled to carry out 'leveling' work against explosive devices that posed a tangible danger to life and limb and were not in any form posing a threat to Palestinian homes," the statement read. "The work was done while exercising maximum caution and prudence and without the ability to foresee harming anyone."
    grade-a bullshit

"All the activists were screaming at the bulldozer to stop and gesturing to the crew about Rachel's presence. We were in clear view as Rachel had been, they continued. They pushed Rachel, first beneath the scoop, then beneath the blade, then continued till her body was beneath the cockpit. They waited over her for a few seconds, before reversing. They reversed with the blade pressed down, so it scraped over her body a second time."
    this is just disgusting

http://news.yahoo.com/u-activists-de...opstories.html

the comments are also rather... disturbing? (but yahoo news)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 15Starred Starred x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    June 2005
    14,184 Posts
    It's not a surprising verdict. Israel's court system is practically built to whitewash all the shit they pull.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2011
    5,622 Posts
    "The security forces at the Philadelphi Corridor during 2003 were compelled to carry out 'leveling' work against explosive devices that posed a tangible danger to life and limb and were not in any form posing a threat to Palestinian homes,"
    Bullshit, weren't they explicitly bulldozing houses that day?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    8,924 Posts
    I'm not a huge fan of this standing in front of armored bulldozers activity. Hmmm.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,354 Posts
    sssh, they weren't houses, they were obviously "weapon caches"

Edited:

I'm not a huge fan of this standing in front of armored bulldozers activity. Hmmm.
    I wouldn't do it but she was obviously trying to test whether israelis care about human life

I think she proved her point

6. Post #6
    April 2010
    8,924 Posts
    sssh, they weren't houses, they were obviously "weapon caches"

Edited:

I wouldn't do it but she was obviously trying to test whether israelis care about human life

I think she proved her point
    I'm not sure she needed to prove it by getting run over. It seemed pretty clear when they started leveling houses.

7. Post #7
    December 2011
    5,622 Posts
    I'm not sure she needed to prove it by getting run over. It seemed pretty clear when they started leveling houses.
    I'm pretty sure she expected them to stop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    at least the chinese have the politeness to halt their tanks when someone stands in front
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,983 Posts
    Whoever the scumbag was that drove that thing should rot in prison for a while. This shit is disgusting.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,994 Posts
    it may be dumb but

"hello i stand here in front of machine, if machine does not stop it is not my fault."

i mean sure the driver is a dick but both parties are to blame
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    June 2005
    14,184 Posts
    it may be dumb but

"hello i stand here in front of machine, if machine does not stop it is not my fault."

The 'machine' shouldn't have even been there in the first place.

They were demolishing homes in lands they don't even own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2011
    5,622 Posts
    it may be dumb but

No, the driver is solely to blame, he could have quit easily just stopped the bulldozer, let's not fucking pretend for a second that the girl was in the wrong here when the Israelis are fucking bulldozing peoples houses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,455 Posts
    it may be dumb but

"Both parties is at fault" is for the people who care too little to actually apply their brains to figure out who was more at fault.
    On one hand, a country bulldozing civilian houses on land it owns illegally, which it has been told multiple times by the UN to give back, has killed civilians and ran over an activist.
    On the other hand, an activist trying to help save the houses that were being illegally demolished was run over by a bulldozer that should not have been anywhere within 100km of where it was.

If the best you can do is say "oh, everyone is at fault!" in the most condescending way, you either are too scared of being picked on for your true opinion and thus spit out homogenised crap, or you have not looked at the scenario at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,354 Posts
    destroying property != destroying life

15. Post #15
    April 2010
    8,924 Posts
    destroying property != destroying life
    You might not be destroying life directly, but you're sure as hell fucking it up.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,354 Posts
    You might not be destroying life directly, but you're sure as hell fucking it up.
    there's a pretty big difference between demolishing someone's house and killing someone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    1,970 Posts
    That driver should get in some serious trouble.

18. Post #18
    April 2010
    8,924 Posts
    there's a pretty big difference between demolishing someone's house and killing someone.
    You're absolutely right.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,509 Posts
    And due to backing from the US the rest of the world will continue to completely ignore this and allow Israel to continue screwing over the Palestinians. The US really has no place to be complaining about China and Russia blocking action in Syria when they are doing the same thing with Palestine. Also, iirc the Palestinians were offering lots of concessions in the negotiations but Israel just said no we're going to continue screwing you over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,652 Posts
    "Tom, liberals don't understand that they can't just go anywhere and do whatever they like. Well, one does, but she's now part of a road in the middle east."
    Lovely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,032 Posts

rip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Lovely.
    Well at least she's contributed to improving infrastructure then.

23. Post #23
    That isnt even a proper US flag, 6/50 would not burn.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    561 Posts
    Are those bite marks I see in that flag?

25. Post #25
    As a wise man once said: Never ask Fatfatfatty for computer advice
    Dennab
    March 2009
    9,166 Posts
    If you purposefully stand in front of a moving vehicle you deserve to get run over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

26. Post #26
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    17,061 Posts
    If you purposefully stand in front of a moving vehicle you deserve to get run over.
    There's a difference between getting in the way of a vehicle when it's going too fast to stop in time (like on a freeway) and attempting to halt civilian homes from being leveled (like what happened here).

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,114 Posts
    Whoever the scumbag was that drove that thing should rot in prison for a while. This shit is disgusting.
    A bulldozer driver who destroyed Palestinian homes and told the media he liked it actually received a commendation.

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    September 2008
    12,030 Posts
    Yeah it's bullshit, it was attempting to bulldoze a Palestinian pharmacist's home.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bahrain Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)