1. Post #521
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,401 Posts

I know I said I'd miss out this GCC but I couldn't resist the opportunity to finally jump on the mesh bandwagon.

Track generates from the song using gm_bass, I have no idea when it comes to the technical side of sound so I just threw some numbers out of gm_bass together in the simplest way and hoped for the best, for a rough job I don't think it turned out too bad. Besides I didn't want to waste a lot of time getting the track generation perfect incase I couldn't manage the meshes.

Now I just have to figure out a way to generate notes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Lua King Lua King x 23Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

2. Post #522
    I code stuff.
    November 2009
    937 Posts
    There are currently 5 styles, including the normal one. The four extra ones can all change based on a style intensity variable. The random one looks different but equally fucking stupid every time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 4 (list)

3. Post #523
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    178 Posts
    School started once again, and I managed to reinstall Windows 7 off a partition.

Aside from that, I wrote a little useless function for calculating X and Y values for a slope-intercept function.
    SolveX = function( Rise, Over, X, Intercept )
    	return ( (Rise/Over) * X + Intercept )	-- y = mx+b
    end
    SolveY = function( Y, Rise, Over, Intercept )
    	return ( Y / (Rise/Over) - Intercept )	-- x = y-b/m
    end

I don't know why, but it may serve some sort of use later on. Perhaps for something with that Minecraft project? Just wanted to post some content, even if it's useless and insignificant.
    Edited:
    I know I said I'd miss out this GCC but I couldn't resist the opportunity to finally jump on the mesh bandwagon.
    Wait... GCC started, and it's about rhythm? That's fantastic. In a sarcastic way, school starts again and I'm busy reviving my previous setup of Windows. In a good way, it's rhythm, so I could just convert my LoZ addon to a gamemode with an actual purpose other than spamming the Song of Unhealing to kill everyone. Having it as some sort of puzzle where you need to play notes to solve it seems to be a great idea!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #524
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,027 Posts
    I made some physical bullets a while ago (16/06/2012)), finally got around to making a video of them.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

5. Post #525

June 2012
    18 Posts
    I've been learning lua and for my first project I decided to remake the SWEP in this video because I couldn't find a download link for the original.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #526
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,326 Posts
    There are currently 5 styles, including the normal one. The four extra ones can all change based on a style intensity variable. The random one looks different but equally fucking stupid every time.
    I do not think you want to know what was going through my head when I saw that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #527
    September 2010
    607 Posts
    I made some physical bullets a while ago (16/06/2012)), finally got around to making a video of them.

It's cool and all, but there is a reason why bullets aren't actual-physical entities.

Imagine if five players where in a full-on shoot out with AK47s, that would mean 150 entities are flying about on the map that collide with basically everything. This be awful and would generate a considerable amount of lag in networking and collisions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

8. Post #528
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    5,819 Posts
    It's cool and all, but there is a reason why bullets aren't actual-physical entities.

Imagine if five players where in a full-on shoot out with AK47s, that would mean 150 entities are flying about on the map that collide with basically everything. This be awful and would generate a considerable amount of lag in networking and collisions.
    blocking enemy bullets with your bullets?
    someone make a gamemode based around this idea!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Lua King Lua King x 1Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #529
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    3,878 Posts

you don't need to make the physical bullets actual CBaseAnimatings... you could literally just write simulated bullets that are calculated on tick, and those aren't much worse than the CGameTraces used already

it's an age old gmod concept

if done right, you could have dozens of simulated bullets and experience no lag, and it's been done before
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #530
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,841 Posts
    So I decided to jump into this bullet thing

Turns out, 1000 units per second is NOT the speed bullets go at
    They're just traces, not actual entities, when I'm done though bullets will move a fixed distance per tick (which will be rediclously high anyways) for those rare 1km shots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

11. Post #531
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,743 Posts

Duke Nukem 3D weapons! I need to add hand swinging, pistol reload, add other weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 3 (list)

12. Post #532
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,027 Posts
    you don't need to make the physical bullets actual CBaseAnimatings... you could literally just write simulated bullets that are calculated on tick, and those aren't much worse than the CGameTraces used already

it's an age old gmod concept

if done right, you could have dozens of simulated bullets and experience no lag, and it's been done before
    This is exactly what I do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 4Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #533
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    822 Posts
    Sorry if I am late or something, but I am very interested about Wizard Of Ass 2D3D Vgui wrapper.

Code:
    Since I saw someone desperately trying to get Overv's weird 3d2d vgui wrapper to work I decided me make my own.

It currently supports all Panel events except for OnKeyCodePressed which I'm looking into.

Text input is working for TextEntries though.

What happened to this project?

I would love to see how did he solved the "Fake Clicks On Panels" issue
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

14. Post #534
    Meet the Pyro
    April 2006
    4,093 Posts
    Can someone help me out with making a gun that I can place fire but doesn't do any damage? I wanna try it for effect purposes

I did find a gas can weapon on garrysmod.org which is simular to what I want (to be able to place fire on command) but can't seem to get it to do no damage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

15. Post #535
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,449 Posts
    Sorry if I am late or something, but I am very interested about Wizard Of Ass 2D3D Vgui wrapper.

Code:
    Since I saw someone desperately trying to get Overv's weird 3d2d vgui wrapper to work I decided me make my own.

It currently supports all Panel events except for OnKeyCodePressed which I'm looking into.

Text input is working for TextEntries though.

What happened to this project?

I would love to see how did he solved the "Fake Clicks On Panels" issue
    I just call OnMousePress OnMouseReleased manually, it does not work on engine based panels though, but these are rarely used anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #536
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    822 Posts
    I just call OnMousePress OnMouseReleased manually, it does not work on engine based panels though, but these are rarely used anyways.
    I see, thanks for sharing your magic tricks tough

But that still bug me the most: How do you trace for the panel to fire the input on?

It would be really awesome if we had some kind of trace function for vgui
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Hungary Show Events

17. Post #537
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,449 Posts
    It's a simple ray plane intersection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #538
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    822 Posts
    It's a simple ray plane intersection.
    Ah! So I could do this with Panel:GetChildren() and panel position, size!
    ( I just noticed that GetChildren got added in GM13 )

Thank you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Hungary Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #539
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    I heard :ActivateContext/DeactivateContext allowed you to simulate mouse input, but iuno
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

20. Post #540
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,027 Posts
    What do you think of my tracers?

You might need to fullscreen it so you can see them clearly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

21. Post #541
    Best Gamemode Ever
    July 2011
    1,703 Posts
    Way too bouncy, do a distance check or something or change how bouncy they are over distance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #542
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,027 Posts
    I disagree, the video is zoomed in a lot too btw, so it might not look right due to that.

Compare this

to this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #543
    Best Gamemode Ever
    July 2011
    1,703 Posts
    I disagree, the video is zoomed in a lot too btw, so it might not look right due to that.

Compare this

to this
    Well nevermind then!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

24. Post #544
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    3,878 Posts
    I heard some default plastic collision sounds in there... are you sure you're not using entities...? Or perhaps you just EmitSound at the location of impact with a default physics soundscript? Regardless, as far as visual go, it looks great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #545
    September 2010
    607 Posts
    I heard some default plastic collision sounds in there... are you sure you're not using entities...? Or perhaps you just EmitSound at the location of impact with a default physics soundscript? Regardless, as far as visual go, it looks great.
    That's exactly what I suspected, however he hasn't elaborated on the method he's currently using :(

26. Post #546
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,027 Posts
    If it hits a surface, it bullet decals; regardless if it ricochets. There are 0 entities being created
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #547
    July 2009
    1,729 Posts
    eheuheueheuheuh

Got to work on achievements in my gamemode, first time taking it on and got it done within 30 minutes of starting it

Anyone have any ideas for achievements?

28. Post #548
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,841 Posts

Penetration!
    Its really buggy against props though becuse FractionLeftSolid only functions on brushes, I need an accurate way to figure out the thickness of a proper along a line
    I'm thinking of just spamming util.PointContents until it finds air

Edited:

Oh and assuming the skybox is high enough you can shoot a bullet in the air and have it come down into your face
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

29. Post #549
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,027 Posts
    How're you doing yours (simulating them, or ents)?

Also, I was going to put penetration in mine, but ultimately I thought it was too unrealistic so I didn't implement it (unless it's going through a piece of cardboard, a thin piece of wood or similar they don't really penetrate; not only that but they lose so much of their energy they barely do anything).

I may put it in at a later date, but I consider it a low priority for now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #550
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,841 Posts
    Traces, lots of them
    I had to separate gravity and the bullets movement speed though because it steps 50 units at a time, making the timestep a lot less than fixed, which causes some issues at times

Penetration slows them down a lot, most HL2 NPCs die from a bullet in the head no matter the damage though

Edited:

Oh and you have full control over the penetration via a callback when it hits anything
    if you want you could make concrete stop bullets only a few cm in
    Oh yeah and theres a callback when the bullet stops, either by getting shot into something (e.g a block of concrete that it cant penetrate) or simply from ricochetting 15 times across the room

31. Post #551
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,027 Posts
    That's pretty slow (50 units per tick); mine go about 30000 units per second, 500 units per tick for the M4A1.

Edited:

How well does yours handle a laggy server?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #552
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,841 Posts
    Its not 50 units per tick, its just that the traces are 50 units long, it does like 100 traces a tick

33. Post #553
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    7,489 Posts
    Drawing stuff with ropes using a Galaxy Note 10.1.

Still an alpha version of the Android > gmod interaction. It stopped working for gingerbread
    So I still have to clean some stuff up and fix some major bugs before I release this. But hey, shit works and I want to show you.

Edit:
    Ah getting it to work on Android Gingerbread again was easier than I thought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 24Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

34. Post #554
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    325 Posts

Still an alpha version of the Android > gmod interaction. It stopped working for gingerbread
    So I still have to clean some stuff up and fix some major bugs before I release this. But hey, shit works and I want to show you.
    I like your accent.

But that's a neat demonstration
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #555
    December 2011
    432 Posts

Edit:
    That is literally the first time I have ever out loud talked to myself about how badass a project is while watching the video. Well done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #556
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #557
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,961 Posts
    your hands are hot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Venezuela Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #558
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    822 Posts
    I am trying to make a maze generator. ( With meshes of course! )

But handling two dimensional arrays in lua, after years of Java programming...

Lua is indexing from 1, but Java is from 0...   

Edited:

Finally, after an hour of head scratching, and a broken pencil...

The result of my first GLua script after a year or two!

( Yeah, I rotated and rescaled the image to look nicer, but certainly MS Paint does not like me.. )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #559

Edit:
    u sexy man put ur hands on my gooch!!!

(no homo)   

Also, I've been working on Stealth-Life (what a cheesy name, fuck) some more and made this menu for the loadout and weapon upgrades. Still a WIP, but looks pretty damn good IMO.
    (Click to enlarge)

Gonna replace the scrollbar with a custom one later, because the stock one obviously doesn't fit with the color theme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #560
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,961 Posts
    it may just be me but isnt better to have an bigger menu?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)