1. Post #4841
    Switch(config)#
    October 2007
    3,779 Posts
    Jumping from "support reps don't fix shiz" to "just some of them don't fix shiz". Getting ready to hide your posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #4842
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,935 Posts
    I need to ask a favor, can someone just make an empty "bin" directory on their webserver? I need it to fix my server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #4843
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    No I am not jumping from anyhting to anything, I am simply explaining that I wasn't saying *every last* support rep, but that I actually meant your average corporate call center, which at least from my experience is like this.
    And I am certainly not going to hide my post, you didn't win soem mighty argument here and got me backpedaling, you simply screamed "HEY THIS GUY SAID ALL TECH REPS WITH PHONES DONT FIX SHIT LETS BASH!!!" instead of actually spending a second to think and maybe take it as what it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4844
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    I need to ask a favor, can someone just make an empty "bin" directory on their webserver? I need it to fix my server.
    Just on the root of the www directory?

Edited:

http://christopherhind.dyndns.org/bin/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #4845
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    I don't think he has any benefit from it being on your root, since he can't access that anyway. I am not sure what he wants to do with a remote folder called "bin" either, tho.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #4846
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    I don't think he has any benefit from it being on your root, since he can't access that anyway. I am not sure what he wants to do with a remote folder called "bin" either, tho.
    I only have port 80 forwarded to the server in any case, so there's nothing he can do to it.

7. Post #4847
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    Hah, so I am not the only one who was thinking of exploits. I mean it's silly, it's just a foldername, but it still falls into the uncanny valley.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #4848
    Prolonged exposure to
    my opinions can be
    mentally scarring or in
    some cases FATAL
    Dennab
    April 2011
    15,508 Posts
    (somewhat) Content alert!

Apparently Citrix did a study about if Americans understand cloud computing, and the answer was no.

The study is here: http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/lp/lp_2328330.asp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #4849
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts

Edited:

Click here to find out!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #4850
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    3,533 Posts
    sextop (imo)

professional looking styling, a numpad, a 5400 rpm hdd because i dont need to do anything fancy. lenovos definitely one of the better brands from what i hear

also 1366 x 768, a good low resolution so i can max games out without them looking bad from a display with a higher native resolution, plus many old games look best at a height of 768

11. Post #4851
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,742 Posts
    sextop (imo)

professional looking styling, a numpad, a 5400 rpm hdd because i dont need to do anything fancy. lenovos definitely one of the better brands from what i hear

also 1366 x 768, a good low resolution so i can max games out without them looking bad from a display with a higher native resolution, plus many old games look best at a height of 768
    Why 6GB of ram
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #4852
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,923 Posts
    sextop (imo)

Not ThinkPad, 2/10 would not fuck use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #4853
    Gold Member

May 2010
    6,288 Posts
    Apple's phone service use to be great. I could call and have my issues fixed in 5 minutes at the most, now it's just slow and they end up sending you to your closest Apple store...

Also, TONS of companies use that style of phone service now. It's not just Apple.

One thing I used to do (not now I have a decent job) is exploit replacement systems from some companies.
    Lots of companies (Apple among them) offer this option called "Advance Replacement" (mentioned earlier with Kindles) where you give them CC details as collateral while they send you a replacement.
    You can buy (Usually for around $5) "virtual" credit cards with only $1 on them, that literally means you can't be charged if you don't return the item. Obviously, this was rather easy to abuse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #4854
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,423 Posts
    4 gb is looking old, and 8 gb still massive to most consumers. 6 is a happy median.

15. Post #4855
    Turbo Dyke
    Dennab
    June 2010
    19,687 Posts
    Why 6GB of ram
    You can always upgrade it.
    6GB of ram should be more than fine for a laptop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #4856
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    4 gb is looking old, and 8 gb still massive to most consumers. 6 is a happy median.
    But when RAM is so cheap, why not? I got 8Gb for 38.

Its nice to have it just incase.

17. Post #4857
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,742 Posts
    Yeah but its dual channel, 4GB + 2GB isnt a nice combination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #4858
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,935 Posts
    I fucked up my server pretty bad, I can't make directories but I can download them.

Edited:

http://christopherhind.dyndns.org/bin/
    thanks a ton bro

19. Post #4859
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #4860
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,079 Posts
    Oh the irony of the AMD Hondo. An AMD low power processor. Hondo was also the name for an Itanium dual processor MCM, it sucked through more power than a dual Pentium 4 Xeon box.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

21. Post #4861
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #4862
    November 2011
    499 Posts
    sextop (imo)

you silly that isn't a thinkpad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #4863
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    Dennab
    October 2008
    18,524 Posts
    In all my life I would never think Reddit would go down under load.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

24. Post #4864
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    8,130 Posts
    In all my life I would never think Reddit would go down under load.
    With the magic of Chrome's Ctrl+S and dropbox, have a copy:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8385549/I%2...%20%20IAmA.htm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

25. Post #4865
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,967 Posts
    What is an AMA?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

26. Post #4866
    Is there any way to make Youtube show me 720p in, well, 720p? It gets all distorted when I fullscreen it because my res is slightly larger than 720p, and the large option on youtube isn't 720 pixels tall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

27. Post #4867
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,195 Posts
    I asked him if he likes hedgehogs

Edited:

What is an AMA?
    IAmA = "I am a"
    AMA = "Ask me anything"
    AMAA = "Ask me almost anything"

Basically you get to ask a person things, and maybe he will reply.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

28. Post #4868
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,189 Posts
    Love the comments

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.
    He's got a lot to learn. You know what to do Redditors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #4869
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,923 Posts
    I asked him about reforming the patent system, software patents and patent trolling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

30. Post #4870
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,247 Posts
    Well, The one comment i managed to see before clicking on TFTS by habit was "200+ comments in 4 min, Good luck"

Accurate it seems

Edit: Tbh, That does look pretty badass

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

31. Post #4871
    October 2009
    8,130 Posts
    Love the comments
    Welcome to Reddit, Mr. President.
    ONE OF US. ONE OF US.
    Well, that escalated quickly

Also managed to reload the page, updated my mirror and it now shows the best 500 comments
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

32. Post #4872
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,189 Posts
    What's interesting is (Insert standard issue 4chan.org/b/ NSFW warning) /b/ isn't even interested
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

33. Post #4873
    Dennab
    October 2008
    18,524 Posts
    I wonder, is he going to reply in Reddit like all the other AMAs? Or is he taking questions from a bunch of different places and going to answer them in a broadcast?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

34. Post #4874
    It must be some important stuff for it to DDOS a site famous for their users accidentally DDOSing websites.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

35. Post #4875
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    I fucked up my server pretty bad, I can't make directories but I can download them.

thanks a ton bro
    Have you accidentally your mkdir binary?

36. Post #4876
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,247 Posts
    I wonder, is he going to reply in Reddit like all the other AMAs? Or is he taking questions from a bunch of different places and going to answer them in a broadcast?
    He's answering in the comments

Edit: Seems head admins of reddit and co-founders are down there among the comments too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

37. Post #4877
    Dennab
    October 2008
    18,524 Posts
    It must be some important stuff for it to DDOS a site famous for their users accidentally DDOSing websites.
    It'd just be DOS.

With two Ds, the first stands for "Deliberate"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

38. Post #4878
    October 2009
    8,130 Posts
    He made two replies on reddit so far:
    first
    second

Although i wonder how he's doing it, since reddit keeps breaking

Edited:

It'd just be DOS.

It stands for distributed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #4879
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,189 Posts
    It'd just be DOS.

Yeah, no. As Goz3rr said, it means distributed.

And as a fun fact, DDoSes can be undeliberate in the part of the actual people doing the attacking because of things like that web-LOIC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

40. Post #4880
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,593 Posts
    President fucking Obama posted:
    Making sure we stay at the forefront of space exploration is a big priority for my administration. The passing of Neil Armstrong this week is a reminder of the inspiration and wonder that our space program has provided in the past; the curiosity probe on mars is a reminder of what remains to be discovered. The key is to make sure that we invest in cutting edge research that can take us to the next level - so even as we continue work with the international space station, we are focused on a potential mission to a asteroid as a prelude to a manned Mars flight.
    So the president is a troll. Huh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)