1. Post #1601
    September 2009
    1,836 Posts

Trying to figure out lighting and camera settings and things like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #1602
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    20,814 Posts
    I'd say your source is too close there is a massive difference in light from the left to right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #1603
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    528 Posts
    Tried experimenting with Volumetric lighting, by re-creating this frame from Meet the Director.

EDIT: Also, i've been thinking about re-creating the comics in SFM, not as in movie. But just replacing the drawings with SFM renders. I dunno, might seem silly. What do you think?
    Layman's terms, drawing's will become SFM pictures.
    We could also do it as a co-operation, and let people make one frame each, or 1 page each. Anybody interested?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #1604
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Tried experimenting with Volumetric lighting, by re-creating this frame from Meet the Director.

EDIT: Also, i've been thinking about re-creating the comics in SFM, not as in movie. But just replacing the drawings with SFM renders. I dunno, might seem silly. What do you think?
    We could also do it as a co-operation, and let people make one frame each, or 1 page each. Anybody interested?
    what works in 2D often doesn't work in 3D and vice versa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #1605

August 2012
    530 Posts

I think it's a really cool idea, and you did a great job with that frame! I might even be convinced to do a frame though I'm insanely busy with my own SFM project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #1606

August 2012
    6 Posts
    Felt like whipping something up in an hour tell me what you think!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #1607
    March 2011
    32 Posts

Also, not sure if my image is showing up as a thumbnail I did [ t ] link [ / t ] but it doesn't really show up. It shows up as some weird small image of a page turning. Any help?
    You are linking to a page not an image. add the .jpg or .png to the end. Also, it looks nice except for the lights , can you do anything about that ? .....please
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #1608

August 2012
    6 Posts
    You are linking to a page not an image. add the .jpg or .png to the end. Also, it looks nice except for the lights , can you do anything about that ? .....please
    Oh derp... And how so about the lights?

9. Post #1609
    HUGE FAGGOT x9999 Dumb
    October 2009
    623 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #1610
    March 2011
    565 Posts

2 slightly different versions of incoming Christmas card.

Bad sleeve parts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Korea, Republic of Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #1611
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    9,083 Posts

With editing, of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1612
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    117 Posts

The compression on this is quite bad. Make sure you export your posters in the highest possible quality. Choose TIFF for the output then load it into a photo editing application (such as Photoshop) and perform your necessary 'compressed exports' from there.

Your scene in general could use some work. The pose you have is quite generic and simple - have a practice using all of the TF2 player models and see which one you can pose better with. You'll no doubt find that one is personally easier to compose than others. Also, from what I can see, you have only used one custom light. A vital asset in producing an impressive SFM render is to experiment with multiple lights with varied purposes. For example, try use combinations of key lights, fill lights and rim/back lights to enhance the look of scenes; especially if they are ones as intimate as the one you have created here.

Hope this helps!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #1613

August 2012
    6 Posts
    The compression on this is quite bad. Make sure you export your posters in the highest possible quality. Choose TIFF for the output then load it into a photo editing application (such as Photoshop) and perform your necessary 'compressed exports' from there.

Your scene in general could use some work. The pose you have is quite generic and simple - have a practice using all of the TF2 player models and see which one you can pose better with. You'll no doubt find that one is personally easier to compose than others. Also, from what I can see, you have only used one custom light. A vital asset in producing an impressive SFM render is to experiment with multiple lights with varied purposes. For example, try use combinations of key lights, fill lights and rim/back lights to enhance the look of scenes; especially if they are ones as intimate as the one you have created here.

Hope this helps!
    Will do! Thanks for the input

14. Post #1614
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    It's not compression. The image is in PNG.

It's color banding due to precision not being high enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #1615
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    117 Posts
    It's not compression. The image is in PNG.

It's color banding due to precision not being high enough.
    True. It definitely is that.

Though I wasn't sure whether he'd gone from JPEG to PNG in the process. It looked incredibly severe to be JUST banding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

16. Post #1616

August 2012
    6 Posts
    Not sure if this is any better. But I tried to improve the lighting from the old image.

17. Post #1617
    March 2011
    32 Posts
    Not sure if this is any better. But I tried to improve the lighting from the old image.

I'm reminded of the scene from Spaceballs when President Skroob is beamed....

Also, what map are you using? Sawmill spawnroom?

18. Post #1618

August 2012
    6 Posts
    I'm reminded of the scene from Spaceballs when President Skroob is beamed....

Also, what map are you using? Sawmill spawnroom?
    Mtt Heavy with the brightness shot down a whole lot.

19. Post #1619
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    6,195 Posts
    I guess you could say that this is one of the scenes for my saxxy entry. Everything is of course subject to change.

[Disregard, I'm de dumb]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

20. Post #1620
    :D
    October 2011
    8,882 Posts
    Some shitty tries to make something good:

Just a Heavy. That's how I got an inspiration for my Heavy's look(Jaw'o'fun + Skyrim helm):

Look at the demoman's face:

Pyro and Scout:

ergh.....a chase:

I've been playing Borderlands with a friend, and decided to make a pic of our "gameplay". I am the Spy(Siren) and he is Heavy(Berserker):

Edited:

I guess you could say that this is one of the scenes for my saxxy entry. Everything is of course subject to change.

If you know how to get custom models into Source please message me because I need some help.
    Nothing hard. Put models into a /usermod/ folder and then in SFM open up Import Model and choose usermod. I can't show you full instruction, just google it or check on YouTube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

21. Post #1621
    March 2011
    32 Posts

If you know how to get custom models into Source please message me because I need some help.

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread....1#post37224582

This applies to weapon and hat model replacements as well.

22. Post #1622
    August 2012
    267 Posts
    Some shitty tries to make something good:

Just a Heavy. That's how I got an inspiration for my Heavy's look(Jaw'o'fun + Skyrim helm):
    Ugh that AO it hurts my eyes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1623
    March 2011
    32 Posts
    Ugh that AO it hurts my eyes
    A.O. is perfectly fine thats not what is causing the issue.

My earlier post.

Are you using player models there ? If you are switch them to the hwm models, and you will need find a balance in the light's distance from the model and a proper minDistance value on the light otherwise you will see the poly faces. What you can do is move your light back and turn up your minDistance

Example
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #1624
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    A.O. is perfectly fine thats not what is causing the issue.

My earlier post.
    It is AO:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1625
    March 2011
    32 Posts
    It is AO:

Well, my SFM hates me then, or it was just that model. I'll try with that model again in a bit. I'm sure I had AO turned up in that image though.

----

Okay, so the only way I can make the lines disappear is by adjusting minDistance, while maxDistance does nothing same goes for different AO . What could I have done differently if I wanted to do a low intensity light that was close to this model like this without the vertices showing, or what do I have set wrong? I think its just the model though with other models AO change is noticeable however with the light the lines can still be seen slightly.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #1626
    HUGE FAGGOT x9999 Dumb
    October 2009
    623 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1627
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Well, my SFM hates me then, or it was just that model. I'll try with that model again in a bit. I'm sure I had AO turned up in that image though.

----

Okay, so the only way I can make the lines disappear is by adjusting minDistance, while maxDistance does nothing same goes for different AO . What could I have done differently if I wanted to do a low intensity light that was close to this model like this without the vertices showing, or what do I have set wrong? I think its just the model though with other models change is noticeable however with the light the lines can still be seen slightly.

minDistance and MaxDistance have literally absolutely NOTHING to do with that jesus christ

they're just cutoff distances (nearZ and farZ, the latter being coupled with farZatten to hide the cutoff line)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #1628
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    64 Posts
    minDistance and MaxDistance have literally absolutely NOTHING to do with that jesus christ

they're just cutoff distances (nearZ and farZ, the latter being coupled with farZatten to hide the cutoff line)
    I guess by raising the minDistance the model just isn't affected by the light anymore that causes the ugly SSAO. Not really a solution though ;)

That was dumb, nevermind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

29. Post #1629
    August 2012
    267 Posts
    I guess by raising the minDistance the model just isn't affected by the light anymore that causes the ugly SSAO. Not really a solution though ;)
    Literally the blockiness has nothing to do with the lights. You need to right click the viewport, go into render settings, and enable show AO. Then play with the SSAO settings in the camera animation until the blockiness goes away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1630
    :D
    October 2011
    8,882 Posts
    And all this started because someone pointed out blocky shit on Heavy's body..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Latvia Show Events

31. Post #1631
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    64 Posts
    Literally the blockiness has nothing to do with the lights. You need to right click the viewport, go into render settings, and enable show AO. Then play with the SSAO settings in the camera animation until the blockiness goes away.
    D'uh, forget what I said. I totally agree with you and Max. For some reason I thought that the Ambient Occlusion is affected by other lights. Then it would have made sense that changing the light could improve the blockiness. But that's not the case; so I guess I deserve that dumb-vote :S

Edited my previous post to avoid any confusion due to wrong advice :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #1632
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    9,083 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #1633
    I'll Go all tadpole on you
    June 2005
    1,170 Posts
    Blue glowing groins
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #1634
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    528 Posts
    i may have gone a bit over-board with the post-processing...
    Original:

After post-processing.

Maybe less is better...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

35. Post #1635
    March 2010
    106 Posts

----

Okay, so the only way I can make the lines disappear is by adjusting minDistance, while maxDistance does nothing same goes for different AO . What could I have done differently if I wanted to do a low intensity light that was close to this model like this without the vertices showing, or what do I have set wrong? I think its just the model though with other models AO change is noticeable however with the light the lines can still be seen slightly.

You have to adjust the light's shadow, try to make them less raw.
    Of course check the SSAO option first, but I guess you already tried this.
    Mostly the filter size, if not, try the shadowdepthbias tool.

Good luck.

Stop Posting your shit, this isnt funny anymore.

My next project : I'd started to light some scene when I'm too tired to animate :D

EDIT : Just find out the radius settings apply only in clip editor.

Fuck.

Does thats means some settings arent useless ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #1636
    August 2012
    9 Posts

IMGUR WHAT DID YOU'VE DONE TO MY PIC?! (pixelate as shit)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #1637
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    928 Posts

IMGUR WHAT DID YOU'VE DONE TO MY PIC?! (pixelate as shit)
    Don't use Imgur. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

38. Post #1638
    April 2011
    466 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #1639
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    3,063 Posts
    no pupils ;-;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

40. Post #1640
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,902 Posts
    whoa, what's that model, it looks cool as shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)