1. Post #1
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    26,992 Posts
    Here's some possible nostalgia-fuel for you. This comic was evidently super popular back in the day due to no one having the common sense on creating a comic with a fairly decent layout. The comic was so popular, it was featured on G4's Attack of the Show.

The comic is created by Brashfink, a father with a daughter who's probably my age now, and a former employee of a comic book store or something. Yes, I have a solid memory.

Since Brashfink has up and probably left the internet forever, I thought I might post this FOR YOU (you're welcome).

This is the only part I could find since the PHW site is offline (yay) and most of the work posted there are gone (partially sad). Too bad no one wants to post their work on a site that isn't bound for death.

I found this by searching up Apostasy in Google. I remembered when the comic was first uploaded onto gaming sites, but after Brashfink was "hired" to post his works on PHW, most of his works were exclusive to that now-dead site.

I still want the former comic makers to post their old work (totally serious).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    May 2005
    98 Posts
    I went looking for Pyren's Subject 23 a few years ago and couldn't find it for the life of me. With imagehosts dying and hard drive failing, some things can really easily be lost to time. :'(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    February 2005
    26,992 Posts
    The only and huge mistake almost everyone made is that no one uploaded their crap onto DeviantArt. Sure, the community's fetishes are...exotic, but the site allows your stuff to stay on there for years. Even though no one expected Clements to fuck his entire site up (lol), you always need a Plan B to Z.

Still trying to find traces of Afro Zombie by L0k1 (I think that was by him) and Alpha Squad by Shazbot.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,757 Posts
    thank you

5. Post #5
    May 2005
    98 Posts
    Alpha Squad by Shazbot.
    This would be fantastic, not because of the literary or artistic merit of the comic(lol), but rather it would give some context to the much superior Beta Squad comic.

(p.s. the beta squad parody comic is my favorite parody comic)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,054 Posts
    Lost about 50 of my comics when my old computer died, and facepunch stopped archiving the comic section 2 years ago.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,770 Posts
    This was THE comic that inspired me, back in the day, to pursue Gmod comic making. This demonstrated the potential that Gmod had to be quite a medium for entertainment. If it weren't for Apostasy or Popwar's Running on Empty, I would have never started Beyond Borders.

Also, PHW was an OK place. Some of the more insecure posters, back in the day, made stupid drama over the place because they had problems dealing with criticism. Comic making was almost exclusive, especially decent comics, because the Gmod potential was just being tapped. So I'm glad PHW existed and it took a lot to feel "accepted" with the top dogs.

Shazbot, again back in the day, was a pretty decent editor. I mean, no one really knew any better so go figure, and the man had an unhealthy fascination with his sister and had an ego so big it'd blot out the sun every moment he woke. Still, regardless of how he was years ago, I still would like to see his comics around again. At least it was a pleasure to look at his work. Especially if you were an enthusiastic, would-be comic maker.

Good times man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,672 Posts
    Oh yes, this comic inspired a good deal of us.

This was THE comic that inspired me, back in the day, to pursue Gmod comic making. This demonstrated the potential that Gmod had to be quite a medium for entertainment. If it weren't for Apostasy or Popwar's Running on Empty, I would have never started Beyond Borders.

Also, PHW was an OK place. Some of the more insecure posters, back in the day, made stupid drama over the place because they had problems dealing with criticism. Comic making was almost exclusive, especially decent comics, because the Gmod potential was just being tapped. So I'm glad PHW existed and it took a lot to feel "accepted" with the top dogs.

Shazbot, again back in the day, was a pretty decent editor. I mean, no one really knew any better so go figure but the man had an unhealthy fascination with his sister and had an ego so big it'd blot out the sun every moment he woke. Still, regardless of how he was years ago, I still would like to see his comics around again. At least it was a pleasure to look at his work. Especially if you were an enthusiastic, would-be comic maker.

Good times man.
    I wonder whatever happened to shazbot. Does anyone have his work saved?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    thread killa
    May 2010
    1,011 Posts
    This was one of the first Garry's Mod comics I ever read that had a serious storyline and (to me, so many years ago) a professional look. PHW was a gold mine back in the day.

A lot of Photoshop stuff back then impressed me. Like when Shazbot took a simple pose with a CT model whose eyes were practically painted on and made those eyes fucking look at something to the model's left. Seeing that blew my mind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,054 Posts
    Back in the day when you were limited in what you had to work with, so you had to be damn good with photoshop, or be very creative with telling the story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    236 Posts
    Still trying to find traces of Afro Zombie by L0k1 (I think that was by him)
    Lode!

I went looking for Pyren's Subject 23 a few years ago and couldn't find it for the life of me. With imagehosts dying and hard drive failing, some things can really easily be lost to time. :'(
    I'll try to hunt this down, it might be possible to find a surviving upload!

(p.s. the beta squad parody comic is my favorite parody comic)
    I think this was technically xXSlipnotikusXx's first comic lmao
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    29,663 Posts
    hooooly shit i remember this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,025 Posts
    Oh my gosh, I remember this. But what I don't remember is how terrible the posing was hahaha. Oh the good old days...

14. Post #14
    February 2005
    8 Posts
    Well well well... a little spy told me about this thread. Howdy everyone.

I still have the comics... I'll will see about putting up a dropbox or SugarSync public share of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Show Events Winner Winner x 7Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,672 Posts
    Well well well... a little spy told me about this thread. Howdy everyone.

I still have the comics... I'll will see about putting up a dropbox or SugarSync public share of them.
    Hoollee shitt

Wow, that'd be awesome.

16. Post #16
    February 2005
    8 Posts
    Here is a little sample of something I have been toying with recently using a program called Daz3D...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,152 Posts
    Oh god I remember reading that comic a while back

pretty badass, I loved it

18. Post #18
    holy fucking shit i miss this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19

June 2011
    231 Posts
    I still for the life of me will never understand how the old watermark worked.

20. Post #20
    July 2010
    1,191 Posts
    I love you for reuploading this. Love you.

I've made, like, twenty comics in the span of four years and none was good enough to be any memorable, but I only tried my hand at comic making because this and Concerned got me to. I sure do miss lurking around the good PHW when BrashFink, Jeff and all were doing their stuff. The Golden Age of GMod comics, in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Portugal Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,152 Posts
    PHW was kind of a pretentious circlejerk, but it also the sole host to some great stuff, and because of it's elitist nature, all those great comics and ragdoll poses died off with the site.

I would have never started Beyond Borders.
    Did you ever finish it?

Edited:

God I feel an urge to do an old-fashioned HL2 spinoff comic. Like this or beyond borders
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    February 2005
    26,992 Posts
    PHW was kind of a pretentious circlejerk, but it also the sole host to some great stuff, and because of it's elitist nature, all those great comics and ragdoll poses died off with the site.
    lol yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2010
    1,191 Posts
    Do you have the other issues of Apostasy? I really need my nostalgia fix right about now.

24. Post #24
    March 2007
    557 Posts
    Does anyone have his work saved?
    I still have a few stuff from him on my HDD.

Infection 2 redux, his "last" episode of Alpha Team, a gun posing tutorial, and some screenshots.

This was THE comic that inspired me, back in the day, to pursue Gmod comic making. This demonstrated the potential that Gmod had to be quite a medium for entertainment.
    For me it was Apostasy and GTR222 by Riley_B. :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    February 2005
    8 Posts
    Sorry Guys for the delay. I absolutely have all 5 of the issues... I just have to get them off my Backup drive.

I will be posting them as both CBRs and ZIPs... I will have them up before the the weekend ends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    The King of Wing
    May 2008
    5,146 Posts
    God that title...
    I love it so much.
    The effect is just sexy.

27. Post #27
    July 2010
    1,191 Posts
    Sorry Guys for the delay. I absolutely have all 5 of the issues... I just have to get them off my Backup drive.

I will be posting them as both CBRs and ZIPs... I will have them up before the the weekend ends.
    Thank you! I can't wait to enjoy them all again. GMod's finest masterpiece, right alongside Concerned.

28. Post #28
    February 2005
    8 Posts
    Thank you! I can't wait to enjoy them all again. GMod's finest masterpiece, right alongside Concerned.
    Yeah Concerned was brilliant. Talked with that guy several times over the course of us making them both. Best installment of that is when they get stuck in Counter Strike... "Office sucks... office sucks... DUST PLZ!" Classic!

29. Post #29
    July 2010
    1,191 Posts
    Yeah Concerned was brilliant. Talked with that guy several times over the course of us making them both. Best installment of that is when they get stuck in Counter Strike... "Office sucks... office sucks... DUST PLZ!" Classic!
    At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, you both were great. Hell, if I still try to make the occasional comic (fortunately, you probably haven't read any of mine), it's because you and Chris Livingston were awesome.

Also, if you ever feel like finishing Apostasy's story, just know there's an audience for it. No pressure at all, I think we all understand if you've moved on and I, for one, really appreciate you taking the time to debate your GMod magnum opus after so long.

30. Post #30
    February 2005
    8 Posts
    Yeah, there was always going to be more to the story... the next issue was going to be all about the day Gordon arrived and disappeared. Then most of the rest of the story would center around the week that Gordon was gone in the time warp for a week. I got to the last issue I did... realized Gordon had shown up and really... the game can take the story from there.

It was a really fun ride though. Met a lot of awesome people I would not have met otherwise. Rich (Marjor.Dump) who helped with several issues works for BioWare now. Madness.

31. Post #31
    July 2010
    1,191 Posts
    Yeah, I understand. Can't help but feel a finale would bring some closure to the story, but, then again, the story ends when the author decides it should. At least you know you've left your mark on Half-Life fandom, and believe me, it's quite a mark.

Most of the guys I remember reading about back then (I used to lurk PHW when you were still doing Apostasy, I only joined in September 2007) have moved on. Hell, truth be told, I don't really know why I haven't moved on either, seeing as how things changed so much. I just wish I could've known all the people who made such awesome comics back then... well, I met quite a few later and some actually disappointed me, but I still wish I'd been a part of it. I think many people do, it was a fun time.

Please let me know when you get around to uploading the comic, I'd love to re-read all of it. Oh, also, I created a blog back in January 2011 that I never got around to use (the URL's http://metrocop.wordpress.com, but, right now, it's private and empty), but I intend to kickstart it on Summer as a part-HL news site, part-GMod comics place. I'd really like to archive Apostasy there as a reminder of how great comics used to be and so new people can read up on it, would that be okay? It's your comic and I don't intend to steal it, but I understand if you don't want someone else putting it up, so feel free to say "no".

32. Post #32
    February 2005
    8 Posts
    Sorry, I ended up being ill half the weekend. I have decided to only post the CBR files. I am sure that most of you know this, but they can be viewed with any number of free comic book file readers available. They are also in reality only RAR files, so changing the extension to RAR will allow them to be unzipped into the JPG files. Here are the links:

All 5 issues of Apostasy, plus "Zero":

Apostasy: Issue #0
    Apostasy: Issue #1
    Apostasy: Issue #2
    Apostasy: Issue #3
    Apostasy: Issue #4
    Apostasy: Issue #5

Also, a special edition Halloween Comic that Major.Dump and I never finished:

Surplanter: Part 1
    Surplanter: Part 2

Enjoy! Let me know if any of the links are goofed up, I only tested a couple of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    July 2010
    1,191 Posts
    Thank you so much! Oh, man, I'm going to enjoy re-reading these. I hope you're feeling better now.

I just finished looking through them all, everything's perfectly fine. I missed this comic so damn much.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    203 Posts
    Damn we left it at such a cliff hanger on Issue 5 lol :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    July 2010
    1,191 Posts
    Oh hey, it's an Apostasy reunion, haha!

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,770 Posts
    Sorry, I ended up being ill half the weekend. I have decided to only post the CBR files. I am sure that most of you know this, but they can be viewed with any number of free comic book file readers available. They are also in reality only RAR files, so changing the extension to RAR will allow them to be unzipped into the JPG files. Here are the links:

All 5 issues of Apostasy, plus "Zero":

Apostasy: Issue #0
    Apostasy: Issue #1
    Apostasy: Issue #2
    Apostasy: Issue #3
    Apostasy: Issue #4
    Apostasy: Issue #5

Enjoy! Let me know if any of the links are goofed up, I only tested a couple of them.
    This was awesome. I'm going to save these issues myself just in case it gets lost in cyberspace once again. Thanks for re-uploading these once again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    February 2005
    8 Posts
    Damn we left it at such a cliff hanger on Issue 5 lol :)
    Yes we did Rich... and for Cliffhanger answers... See video game "Halflife 2"... perhaps some of you have heard of it.

This was awesome. I'm going to save these issues myself just in case it gets lost in cyberspace once again. Thanks for re-uploading these once again!
    yeah, actually I am planning on putting up a site soon at BrashFink.com (which I own but has nothing on it right now). Was kind of waiting until I had more of my new project worked on before building site, but perhaps I should get it up for now as an archive.

Enjoy everyone, thanks for the trip down memory lane!

EDIT:
    LOLzorango Rich, nice avatar...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    July 2010
    1,191 Posts
    Yes we did Rich... and for Cliffhanger answers... See video game "Halflife 2"... perhaps some of you have heard of it.
    Still, we never did find out the fates of Galena, Mark and Jack... since the story ended like this, they just vanished. A final issue would be fantastic for closure.

Just saying...

yeah, actually I am planning on putting up a site soon at BrashFink.com (which I own but has nothing on it right now). Was kind of waiting until I had more of my new project worked on before building site, but perhaps I should get it up for now as an archive.
    So, uh, it's not okay if I share it in my future GMod comics blog? I don't expect it to be very popular, but at least I could have a great comic saved there. I intend to try and share good comics from various creators there as a way to fill the void in terms of GMod comics. There's not many comic creators left, granted, but there's still good enough stuff to share and publicize, not to mention blasts from the past like Apostasy.

39. Post #39
    February 2005
    8 Posts
    So, uh, it's not okay if I share it in my future GMod comics blog? I don't expect it to be very popular, but at least I could have a great comic saved there. I intend to try and share good comics from various creators there as a way to fill the void in terms of GMod comics. There's not many comic creators left, granted, but there's still good enough stuff to share and publicize, not to mention blasts from the past like Apostasy.
    Oh Lord, by all means, share it WHERE EVER.

It is more or less Open Source-ish. I do not own rights to really anything since it piggybacks on Valve Copyright. The stories already have a Valve (and my) Copyright listed.

I actually posted a Torrent of this on Demonoid a few years ago because a few people there knew about it and were sharing Concerned there.

By all means. Share away! The only request is keep an issue together so the copyright is with the following issue. The more eyeballs that see it the better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2010
    1,191 Posts
    Oh Lord, by all means, share it WHERE EVER.

It is more or less Open Source-ish. I do not own rights to really anything since it piggybacks on Valve Copyright. The stories already have a Valve (and my) Copyright listed.

I actually posted a Torrent of this on Demonoid a few years ago because a few people there knew about it and were sharing Concerned there.

By all means. Share away! The only request is keep an issue together so the copyright is with the following issue. The more eyeballs that see it the better.
    Awesome, thanks! I figured you wouldn't mind, seeing as the comics themselves say "Distribute freely", but there's nothing like asking the author for permission. Obviously I don't intend to steal your work or anything, I just want it to be a part of the archives I'll put up.