1. Post #1
    The next time you're looking for help at Newark Liberty, JFK, or LaGuardia airport, the answer to your question might come from a friendly, beautiful woman. Just don't expect that woman to be an actual, live human.
    As part of a new customer-service initiative, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has installed an avatar — interactive video projected on the plexiglass cutout of a woman's form — in each of its three member airports. The hologram-like spokesperson will be able to guide passengers towards the right gate, inform them of security checkpoint rules, and can even fire off a sales pitch for an airport's duty-free shops. This isn't the maiden voyage for the tech, though — these holographic helpers were installed in Paris's Orly airport last year.
    According to The Wall Street Journal, The Port Authority entered into a six-month agreement to rent the high-tech holograms after a customer-satisfaction survey revealed people wanted more human interaction. We're not sure who decided this was the best way to provide human interaction, but nevertheless, the new avatars went into service for the first time on Monday.

How the new technology will pan out has yet to be seen, but we'll be the first to state the obvious — The Port Authority just paid $180,000 to rent three (somewhat creepy) fake humans when they could have paid half that to hire real people. Real people, who would presumably be better equipped to handle actual questions. But then again, real humans wouldn't exactly be the future, now, would they?
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...024937526.html

Just some time before some Japanese dude tries to marry it. Or fuck it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Funny Funny x 57Artistic Artistic x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I'LL NEVER STOP
    Dennab
    July 2008
    2,667 Posts
    That speech makes her sound like a slut
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 107Funny Funny x 8Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    25,211 Posts
    The Port Authority entered into a six-month agreement to rent the high-tech holograms after a customer-satisfaction survey revealed people wanted more human interaction
    Need more human interaction, rent holograms? I don't follow your logic...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34 (list)

4. Post #4
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,217 Posts
    I wonder if the people who developed it thinks everyone is 8 years old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 39Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Emi Waifu 2011 <3
    November 2010
    1,732 Posts
    Is her name Avina?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Funny Funny x 8Starred Starred x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,533 Posts
    mind instantly jumped to those mass effect holograms
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 36Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    14,805 Posts
    The worst part about this hologram is that I can't punch it for being so patronizingly annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member

February 2005
    3,396 Posts
    Wow, the way she talked was so suggestive.

"I can be used for just about anything, I can say what you want, dress how you want and be just about ANYTHING you want me to be"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 58Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    October 2010
    1,428 Posts
    How necessary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #10

Dennab
    May 2006
    9,120 Posts

Welcome to JFK International Airport, Commander Shepard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 48Funny x 26Dumb x 2Informative x 1Starred x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    11,905 Posts
    Is it projected into/onto a glass panel or something? The shape looks fixed. And that kinda annoys me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 30Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BEN FOLDS FETISH
    April 2010
    3,199 Posts
    I saw one of those things at a mall last year, it was some kind of credit card ad

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,533 Posts

The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers, do not park in the red zone

(old movie reference)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 22Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,131 Posts
    Is it projected into/onto a glass panel or something? The shape looks fixed. And that kinda annoys me.
    Yeah you can tell her hair is too big for the board it's projected onto. Her shoulders change size too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    Perfect example of not using the word hologram right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    598 Posts

The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers, do not park in the red zone

(old movie reference)

No the red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers, do not park in the white zone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 22Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    14,820 Posts
    I wonder if the people who developed it thinks everyone is 8 years old.
    It's in United States so yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 44Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 2Starred Starred x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    5,321 Posts
    It's gonna suck when advertisers have easy access to this technology.

It doesn't matter what gets invented - it'll either get sold to us or be used to sell to us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,255 Posts
    That grin makes me want to punch it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    7,680 Posts
    It's in United States so yeah.
    Point being...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    January 2006
    5,144 Posts

Welcome to JFK International Airport, Commander Shepard.
    "What about the TSA?"

"I have no information on the “TSA.” References to such an organisation exist in some conspiracy theories related to airports."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #22

April 2011
    346 Posts
    I would tap that hologram.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Thailand Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    As a wise man once said: Never ask Fatfatfatty for computer advice
    Dennab
    March 2009
    9,166 Posts
    So it's basically just a projector and a piece of cardboard?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    14,820 Posts
    Point being...?
    Chill out, it was a joke.

And the point? Check this thread:
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1185935
    And you'll get the point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    DID I MENTION I PLAY BANJO
    July 2010
    3,472 Posts
    No the red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers, do not park in the white zone.
    Don't start with that Red Zone shit again, Betty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,533 Posts
    Don't start with that Red Zone shit again, Betty.
    I know what this is about, you want me to have that abortion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    May 2011
    899 Posts
    Apparently we are in the future. Neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,082 Posts
    They should've picked something more... not slutty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,517 Posts
    Trying to take scissors on the plane: "I'm afraid I can't let you do that, passenger."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

30. Post #30
    "This flight is far too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it, passenger."

31. Post #31
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    4,689 Posts
    voice too slutty 2/10 wouldn't fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,641 Posts
    "I can be anything you want me too be"

Alright cunt, take up the image of a anthropomorphic ... furry of some sort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2011
    397 Posts
    I would tap that hologram.
    No go dammit, you're not japanese.

[SUB]or are you?[/SUB]

34. Post #34
    Spends his cash on looking flash and grabbing your attention
    January 2012
    10,017 Posts
    "Hi, I'm NG Resonance, what would you like to talk about?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,765 Posts
    I know what this is about, you want me to have that abortion.
    It's really the only sensible thing to do, if it's done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,182 Posts
    I've seen these before over here in the UK in Birmingham Airport, they were dotted around to help people through Customs, but they were incapable of answering questions and just kept saying the same thing over and over again. (Guidelines, instructions etc.)

They didn't sound like sluts though.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,354 Posts
    The Port Authority just paid $180,000 to rent three (somewhat creepy) fake humans when they could have paid half that to hire real people. Real people, who would presumably be better equipped to handle actual questions. But then again, real humans wouldn't exactly be the future, now, would they?

hiring real people creates less jobs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,543 Posts
    AaaaaaaAAAAAH! Kill it! Kill it now!

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,182 Posts
    AaaaaaaAAAAAH! Kill it! Kill it now!
    Even worse is that the lower part isn't a hologram, and the hologram itself goes out during the intervals between announcements and speeches, meaning once she finishes up whatever she's saying you're suddenly face to face with an abomination whose upper body is a human shaped void of darkness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Arab Emirates Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

40. Post #40
    April 2009
    500 Posts
    I could have used this when I got off my flight from Stockholm. Had to wander for an hour after trying to understand that typical Brooklyn accent.