1. Post #1
    Dennab
    October 2007
    26,022 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18170328

Nick Robinson, BBC political editor posted:
    Senior ministers are discussing how Britain would respond in the event of a military confrontation between Israel and Iran later this year.

With new international talks about Tehran's nuclear programme due to start in Baghdad later, ministers remain hopeful that diplomacy can prevent Iran developing a nuclear weapon and persuade Israel not to carry out its threat to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities.

However, I have learnt that UK ministers are discussing not just the possibility of a military confrontation but what role, if any, Britain might play and whether any involvement would be legal.

Last week in London, the National Security Council discussed what would happen if the latest set of negotiations with Iran failed and if Israel carried out its threat to launch a military strike on Iran's nuclear facilities.

Ministers were told that this could trigger a wider war in the Middle East in which Iran might respond not just by attacking Israel, but also by closing the vital trade route - the Strait of Hormuz - through which more than a fifth of the world's oil shipments are carried.

I understand that the government's law officers are now examining the legality of any British involvement if this happens.

They are looking at options ranging from British diplomatic support for Israel through to the possible involvement of the Royal Navy in the region.

The Liberal Democrats, who opposed the invasion of Iraq, insist that in future Britain must only do what is clearly within international law.

Ministers are still placing their hopes in what Churchill called "jaw jaw" but, behind the scenes, they are discussing in detail how they might respond to "war war".

Later on Wednesday, a new series of Decision Time on BBC Radio 4 (at 20:00 BST) examines how the British and American governments would approach a decision on how to prevent war in the Middle East and what involvement to have if it occurs.

One decision that would face the Coalition if war breaks out between Iran and Israel is the role of Diego Garcia. It is a British colony in the Indian Ocean but has for many years acted as a US base and island aircraft carrier.

B52 and B2 bombers were used to attack Iraq and Afghanistan and could be used to attack Iran if the United States decided to join forces with Israel.

The UK leases Diego Garcia to the US and the terms of that lease have, I'm told, never been published. One question for the government's lawyers is whether the British government would have to give it's permission for Diego Garcia to be used in any attack on Iran.

All these decisions would not unduly trouble a Tory government which decided to back the USA and Israel. However, they could prove to be a Coalition breaker.

2. Post #2
    Needs more suspension.
    February 2006
    5,469 Posts
    How about Britain just says 'fuckem and not get involved?

Just fucking let Iran/Israel blow each other to hell to end this bullshit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Starred Starred x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,838 Posts
    Why? Why do we have to get involved? Let them sort it out between themselves with however much diplomatic or barbaric relations they want.

Then, if they come over here give them a slap. It has nothing to do with Britain at all. Stop listening to America when they try to police the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    13,525 Posts
    At least you Brits have the choice, I can almost guarantee that the United States will support Israel in this one, whether we (you know, the voters/people/constituents) want it or not.

And it's an election year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see boots on the ground. Fucking shit is ridiculous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SHITPOST IN POLIDICKS
    February 2007
    33,181 Posts
    War party at Israels house! Bring Tomahawks and JDAM's!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2010
    1,176 Posts
    Send our aircraft carriers!

Wait

Shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 16Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    794 Posts

Wait

Shit
    Don't worry, the French are driving!

Oh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 13Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,134 Posts
    Britain's military fails at the job it's supposed to do. We can't properly defend our overseas territories because we don't have a proper carrier fleet anymore, but we're fucking experts at being the bitches in various coalitions.

A military that can't defend its country but can stomp on weaker countries, just sounds like a bully to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,628 Posts
    How about we do what we did when Vietnam started, you know, stay the hell out of it. Although at least if we do get involed it means we won't get the tory dems again.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,742 Posts
    Britain's military fails at the job it's supposed to do. We can't properly defend our overseas territories because we don't have a proper carrier fleet anymore, but we're fucking experts at being the bitches in various coalitions.

A military that can't defend its country but can stomp on weaker countries, just sounds like a bully to me.
    aircraft carriers are not defensive in nature, we have airbases for that

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,233 Posts
    aircraft carriers are not defensive in nature, we have airbases for that
    I'm sure that he's talking about their rapid response and logistical capabilities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    January 2006
    5,144 Posts

Wait

Shit
    We're still getting one, they scrapped 2 but are keeping one. They're also swapping the the aircraft they bought for the VTOL variant because they underestimated the price of the catapult launch and retrieval system.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,628 Posts
    We're still getting one, they scrapped 2 but are keeping one. They're also swapping the the aircraft they bought for the VTOL variant because they underestimated the price of the catapult launch and retrieval system.
    Yeah last I read they ran out of money for the aircraft carrier because of the catapult. I don't see why we can't just make a newer version of the harrier to be honest.

14. Post #14
    C47
    January 2010
    917 Posts
    The UK leases Diego Garcia to the US and the terms of that lease have, I'm told, never been published. One question for the government's lawyers is whether the British government would have to give it's permission for Diego Garcia to be used in any attack on Iran.

Reminds me of that battlefield map xD - but that was japanese
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Arab Emirates Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,352 Posts

Because whoever doesn't help Isreal is an anti-semite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    4,651 Posts
    God dammit, this is the cold war all over again...

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,777 Posts

what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    C47
    January 2010
    917 Posts

the pic before is the island Diego Garcia

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,777 Posts
    Yea, they look the same.

20. Post #20
    I'll admit Diego Garcia;

is a bit similar to Wake Island;

But the "xD" doesn't help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    C47
    January 2010
    917 Posts
    that explains the dumb ratings
    ty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Arab Emirates Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,715 Posts
    Right-o

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,892 Posts
    I can provide a response in the event of a war:

Stay the fuck out of it.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,205 Posts
    I honestly don't see much support if Cameron decided to send military in aid of Israel. People don't care enough about the conflict to justify the massive cost.

25. Post #25
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    9,159 Posts
    The Liberal Democrats, who opposed the invasion of Iraq, insist that in future Britain must only do what is clearly within international law.
    This, listen to the people that everyone now hates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    January 2010
    4,943 Posts

I wish the U.S.A would do the same. I'm tired of Israel trying to drag us into wars and then abuse us behind our backs with shit like the infamous "false flag" operations.

I honestly hope Israel gets curb-stomped. I'm seriously that pissed at their government. I mean, creating countries based on ethnicity is a bad idea enough (it's what drove Europe to war many a time) but one based on religion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2008
    1,158 Posts
    I wish the U.S.A would do the same. I'm tired of Israel trying to drag us into wars and then abuse us behind our backs with shit like the infamous "false flag" operations.

I honestly hope Israel gets curb-stomped. I'm seriously that pissed at their government. I mean, creating countries based on ethnicity is a bad idea enough (it's what drove Europe to war many a time) but one based on religion?
    Israel isn't doing anything without the US' consent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,271 Posts
    Will the British people really have a say in this though? You know what our governments like. Lets get involved in conflicts regardless of what the British people really want.

29. Post #29
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    19,079 Posts
    I'll admit Diego Garcia;

is a bit similar to Wake Island;

That's because they're both atolls! Or volcanic islands that eroded away to leave behind a coral barrier and a lagoon! Volcano breaks the surface, coral builds around it, volcano gradually eroded away leaving behind coral structure!

Edited:

I'd rather not see millions of innocent people get curb-stomped. Any war that breaks out in that region is going to result in mass death of either side. And uh, to be fair, Iran is based on religion too. Considering their supreme leader is an Ayatollah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    17,630 Posts

Wishing for the deaths of potentially millions of people? Smooth.

31. Post #31
    Missy Q
    June 2005
    12,717 Posts
    Wishing for the deaths of potentially millions of people? Smooth.
    If Iran and Israel go to war, millions are going to die no matter who the victor is. He is just stating who he wished the victor to be.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,259 Posts

You're aware Wake island is real right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    You're aware Wake island is real right?
    If he didn't before he does now, I posted a photograph of it further up.