1. Post #1
    May 2007
    11 Posts
    Hi all,

I'm working on a motion capture addon for Garry's Mod. At the moment I'm using a Kinect with a power/USB adapter and FAAST (http://projects.ict.usc.edu/mxr/faast/) to capture my skeleton data and send it to GMod. It's in the very early stages yet - see the teaser video below (apologies for the crapiness of it). Note that this is inspired by but not based on John Boiles' kinect hack for Mac - I was going to use it as a starting point, but I was too lazy to port it to Windows.

To bring this addon to the beta stage (where you lucky folks with a Kinect For Windows/Xbox Kinect and the power/USB adapter can test it), I need some help from a few people:
    - I need one or more Lua maths geniuses who are familiar with vectors, angles and quaternions, and how to manipulate/convert/generally kick arse with them in Gmod.
    - I need one or more people who are familiar with bone manipulation in LUA. I did some messing about (see screenshots below), but it looked a little on the painful side for Miss Vance.

- Finally, I need a decent modeler to make a good looking Kinect model - this one isn't 100% needed just yet, but it'd be handy if someone's eager (plus it'd be a nice addon to the Xbox models on garrysmod.org).

PM me if you can fill one or more of the above roles. I will post updates here as and when good progress is made, or if I need more helpful folks to speed this project along.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2

May 2010
    1,503 Posts
    This would be amazing.
    Can it do real time stuff so it doesn't need to be pre-recorded?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    899 Posts
    This looks like a really good idea.

So many possibilities...