1. Post #81
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    February 2006
    22,178 Posts
    The movie's great if you can get past the shaky camera work. I'm not sure why it was done like that.
    It adds tension or something dumb like that. Hunger Games was the only movie that I legitimately got motion sick from, and I watched Cloverfield. I think that it's fine to do handheld shooting, but only when done sparingly.

2. Post #82
    January 2009
    1,413 Posts
    When I first heard the title I thought it was something like a post-apocalyptic setting where captives are pitted to battle eachother, with the loser being eaten by the captors. Then I saw the trailer and noticed it was just another teen action/drama from the looks of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    I LOVE NAZIS
    June 2011
    3,873 Posts
    I beg to differ, doesn't look ugly, but definitely NOT beautiful.
    agree, she had her neck slouched down most of the movie making her look like she has a fat neck

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,083 Posts
    I was so sad that they dropped the Avox thing :(
    One scene in the movie when they first get into their penthouse you can see 2-3 people in red clothes standing there.

Im guessing they = avox's
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,017 Posts
    One scene in the movie when they first get into their penthouse you can see 2-3 people in red clothes standing there.

Im guessing they = avox's
    Yeah. Basically, Avox's are minor traitors to the Capitol who have had their tongues cut out and been turned in to servants.
    The books are far better than the movie. They go in to a massive amount of more detail and the meaning and point is massively different. Its a subtle critique of war and how awful it can be, but it is a far less subtle criticism of the focus on television and reality television in particular. Using children as the main characters was just a good way to draw the attention of teens and young adults. Comparing it to Twilight is awful. It far outpaces it in every regard. And I'm not aware of any point in the Twilight series where one of the characters shoots another through the throat with an arrow or gets devoured by mutant dogs or decapitated by giant bipedal lizards (that sound rather like Hunters from Resident Evil).
    The movie leaves out a lot of scenes and changes several others to the detriment of the story. They also tried to include some scenes and conversations that were happening at the time but not brought up until the next two books, and added in a few that simply never happened in the books.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #86
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,819 Posts
    I didn't know the movie existed until I saw an advert for it on the side of a bus last Thursday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    3,105 Posts
    Amasing books in my opinion.
    but the movie seriusly needs to be improved

8. Post #88
    I liked the book

I gotta check it out

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,423 Posts
    Book is pretty good. Well, the first one at least. Catching Fire was ok, haven't finished Mockingjay because it's so boring.

I'm definitely going to watch the movie at some point. Too bad they decided to go with shaky-cam to hide the violence in order to get a PG-13 rating.

10. Post #90
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,017 Posts
    Book is pretty good. Well, the first one at least. Catching Fire was ok, haven't finished Mockingjay because it's so boring.

I'm definitely going to watch the movie at some point. Too bad they decided to go with shaky-cam to hide the violence in order to get a PG-13 rating.
    Mockingjay really picks up later in the book and is really good. Then the last 30 pages or so make you want to break everything in sight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    April 2009
    1,159 Posts
    I don't get how a PG-13 Movie can basically be a gladiator film. I know it's the target audience but I don't really get how a kids movie can be about killing.

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,423 Posts
    I don't get how a PG-13 Movie can basically be a gladiator film. I know it's the target audience but I don't really get how a kids movie can be about killing.
    As long as they follow the MPAA rules they can do it. With the PG-13 rating they can't have swearing (except one "fuck" as long as it's not in a sexual context), no visible blood sprouting from human beings (you apparently see blood in this movie, but the camera pans away and you just see the blood squirt) etc. Plus the shaky-cam helps conceal the violence and many of the action scenes are blurred.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #93
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,017 Posts
    That's the issue. The books are in no way PG13, which is another problem is that they had to dumb is down to make it acceptable at that rating.

Edited:

There is enough material in the book that it could have been three hours long, and if it had stayed true to the book, I'd have gladly sat through it for three hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    7,680 Posts
    My friend got motion sickness at the theater.
    And by in, I mean all over. Sorry ushers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,882 Posts
    I was expecting a different version of Twilight when I went to see this with my girlfriend. To be honest I was pleasantly surprised. I rather enjoyed it.

16. Post #96
    Honestly, I expected more from the movie.

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    11,704 Posts
    I don't get it, what is so good about this movie? I've never heard of it before and suddenly in the last week every second person is waffling on and on about The Hunger Games. What did I miss? It looks really average... Is it just because it's another book-to-movie conversion that got overhyped?
    Its a book that pretty much every teacher made you read in middle school / high school and apparently everyone loved it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

18. Post #98
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,871 Posts
    Its a book that pretty much every teacher made you read in middle school / high school and apparently everyone loved it
    Never did here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

19. Post #99

May 2011
    1,056 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    871 Posts
    What people don't seem to understand is that the shaky camera was used to avoid showing lots of the gory scenes depicted in the book. It was made for a PG-13 audience so it was to be expected.

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,724 Posts
    What people don't seem to understand is that the shaky camera was used to avoid showing lots of the gory scenes depicted in the book. It was made for a PG-13 audience so it was to be expected.
    I don't think that's a real valid excuse. The following scene is PG13 but, instead of distorting the audiences view with shaky cam, it draws tension and impacts the audience by having them imagine what happened.

I understand the circumstances and style for the movie are different but they could have found a way that didn't make the audience motion sick.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,198 Posts
    The movie towards the end was terrible, without reading the book I didn't understand what the fuck was going on aside from the districts apart from capital were poor. They dragged out a certain scene way too long as well. In fact I'm about to watch battle royale because it made me crave for it :v

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts
    I've never been fond of young adult lit as the plots tend to be incredibly generic and overly simple, were these books any different?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,266 Posts
    I didn't really find the shaky cam to be that big of a deal, but whatever. I thought the movie was great myself, one of the best movies I've seen so far this year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    Its a subtle critique of war
    ahahah it's not subtle at all

if anything it's a critique of class warfare, which isn't handled well either

26. Post #106
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    4,689 Posts
    Probably has something to do with the fact that it had a wide age and demographic range for fans.

27. Post #107
    I make sexist and racist jokes all the time yet,i still support the feminist movement and the rights of blacks.
    July 2010
    3,568 Posts
    Am i the only one who doesn't really know anything about this film?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,542 Posts
    Anyone who was annoyed by the shaky cam has obviously not seen many movies. It's pretty common to show violence through shaky cam to achieve a PG-13/12A rating.

Edited:

I didn't really find the shaky cam to be that big of a deal, but whatever. I thought the movie was great myself, one of the best movies I've seen so far this year.
    It is actually a good movie, I think people are just wanting to dislike it for reasons I do not understand.

29. Post #109
    June 2007
    553 Posts
    I can't take the movie seriously because it seems like the next twilight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #110
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,652 Posts
    I can't take the movie seriously because it seems like the next twilight.
    It's hardly "the next Twilight"

Sure, it's popular because the target demographic eats this shit up, but the novels have a lot going for them, considering the competition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,510 Posts
    I went with a group of my friends to see it. I thought it was quite good, however, I had a few issues with inaccuracies. I have read the books so I know the background information but I can see how it would be confusing if you didn't have it. Just some other things that irritated me from the comments above. Firstly, the similarity with twilight ends with them having a similar target audience (Young adult readers). Secondly, not all YA fiction is simple and generic, if you think it is you may have stumbled across some of the poorer books. As for the lack of blood and gore, I am 14 but could have gotten into a 15 and so could some of my friends, but others couldn't. I would quite like a 15+ DVD though because I will be old enough to get it when it comes out. Anyway, YA and twilight are not synonymous, The Hunger Games has had a large fanbase for years and YA can have complex plots and 'themes', although I dislike the word in that context.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,371 Posts
    I see news story about kids camping outside a movie theater two weeks early to get first tickets for hunger games, day before release everyone I see is rambling on about it- day after I hear nothing about it. The plot sounds like every other stupid gameshow to survive but with teen angst.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,098 Posts
    I saw the trailer when I was watching Intouchables, then repeatedly got clobbered over the head with it by ads for the books and the movie, which was placed shortly after the news that the serial killer of Toulouse had been killed.

I haven't made up my mind whether I should watch it or not, any recommendations?

34. Post #114
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,652 Posts
    I saw the trailer when I was watching Intouchables, then repeatedly got clobbered over the head with it by ads for the books and the movie, which was placed shortly after the news that the serial killer of Toulouse had been killed.

I haven't made up my mind whether I should watch it or not, any recommendations?
    I've only read the book but it sounds like the movie misses the bar set by the book.

35. Post #115
    March 2012
    272 Posts
    The book was definitely better.

I couldn't help but feel that with the movie's direction, it would have looked cool as a TV series.. The Walking Dead style.

My one MAJOR beef with it besides the whole 'Cloverfield Camera' and the lacking of the 'Peeta/Katniss Bread Scene' was the District 12 'Girl on Fire' costume.

I was expecting an almost Ghost Rider-ish trail of flame, but we ended up getting a jet stream flaming angel wings thing because they wanted to make Katniss and Peeta look majestic or something.

Also, Woody Harrelson was fucking hilarious as Haymitch, and Rue's actor was fantastic, so don't hate.

Edit: STFU about fucking Twilight. HURR, BOOK MADE INTO MOVIE? SOUNDS LIKE SHIT. TOO MAINSTREAM. FUCK BANDWAGON.

The same could be said about Isaac Marion's debut novel, Warm Bodies. People were hating on it just because

1. Stephenie Meyer loved it
    2. It was a romance involving a zombie and a girl
    3. It's getting made into a movie.

I read the book and it is honestly really damn good. Don't judge a book by it's cover before you've read it, or else you're going to look like a very large asshole.

“I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses. Writing isn't letters on paper. It's communication. It's memory.”

“These people, these beautiful Living women, they don't seem to make the connection between me and the creatures that keep killing everything they love. They allow me to be an exception, and I feel humbled by this gift. I want to pay it back somehow, earn their forgiveness. I want to repair the world I've helped destroy.”

― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #116
    May 2007
    723 Posts
    Kids, fighting eathother, to death. Can't suck, right?

I'm giving it a chance. I like franchises. Twilight not so much. It would be unfair to call it the next Twilight. It may as well be the next LotR... (NO, probably not, next Harry Potter maybe?)

Edited:

Rotten Tomatoes's meter is at 85%, but I will make up my own mind some time this month.

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,724 Posts
    “I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses. Writing isn't letters on paper. It's communication. It's memory.”

“These people, these beautiful Living women, they don't seem to make the connection between me and the creatures that keep killing everything they love. They allow me to be an exception, and I feel humbled by this gift. I want to pay it back somehow, earn their forgiveness. I want to repair the world I've helped destroy.”

― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies
    Okay, how do those two random quotations add to your point?

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,044 Posts
    "It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."
    -Sun Tsu
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #119
    March 2012
    272 Posts
    To show that it's unfair to compare good mainstream books/movies to shitty mainstream books/movies.

40. Post #120
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,017 Posts

Read the books first.