1. Post #2161
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,804 Posts
    Liking my Astronomy class and all, except the final I have to review for.

Recognize (most of) the Northern Constalations by sight as well as their brightest star and asterism ugh...

Edited:

Heres a random picture
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2162
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    14,819 Posts
    Planetary Resources are currently looking for students to do an internship. Man I'd apply so hard, if not I was only on my second year
    http://webconnect3.atango.com/search...6-bcec156e16d4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

3. Post #2163
    September 2008
    269 Posts
    sort of off topic, but was playing borderlands 2 earlier and had a psycho yell "pluto's not a planet!"

needless to say it made me laugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #2164
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    2,242 Posts
    pluto's a planet in my heart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2165
    Dennab
    May 2010
    3,746 Posts
    Liking my Astronomy class and all, except the final I have to review for.

Recognize (most of) the Northern Constalations by sight as well as their brightest star and asterism ugh.
    Seems pretty stupid to make students remember a bunch of man made connect-the-dots in the sky.

Edited:

pluto's a planet in my heart
    Your heart pumps blood, and is far too small to have Pluto fit inside it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2166
    March 2012
    960 Posts
    Planetary Resources are currently looking for students to do an internship. Man I'd apply so hard, if not I was only on my second year
    http://webconnect3.atango.com/search...6-bcec156e16d4

Best email I have received so far.

Oh how I wish I was further in my studies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #2167
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,023 Posts
    Something I've been trying to figure out but can't: Can an object exist in a stable, non-Lagrangian "figure eight" orbit around a stationary and orbiting body (ie. the Earth-Moon system)? I figure it would take really specific ejection and injection angles and a whole load of math that I'm too lazy to do.

Also, have a cool video and story about the Space Shuttle's RTLS abort system:
    NASA was originally going to use the first manned space shuttle flight STS-1 as a test of the Return to Launch Site (RTLS) abort profile, which would have required Columbia to jettison the Solid Rocket Boosters at the normal separation altitude, fly downrange and pitch the Orbiter and External Tank over, resulting in the vehicle flying backwards with all three engines burning at the same time. Because the RTLS maneuver is considered insanely risky (and if they had to ditch in the ocean they would have a ~100% chance of death), the astronauts refused, saying, "Let's not practice Russian roulette."

Instead, they chose to orbit the Earth and reenter in a launch stack which had never been tested, nor had it been in orbit, and had not been practically proven to work, SRBs that had not been tested, and countless other practically untested systems. That's how dangerous that abort mode was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

8. Post #2168
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,559 Posts
    so i got into space recently and im starting to ask around, todays my birthday, so recently my mom said her co-workers husband works down at dryden (or somewhere) and says i may be able to take a tour
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

9. Post #2169
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,369 Posts
    So I assume you guys like to generally speak about me?
    May I explore you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #2170
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    9,230 Posts
    Something I've been trying to figure out but can't: Can an object exist in a stable, non-Lagrangian "figure eight" orbit around a stationary and orbiting body (ie. the Earth-Moon system)? I figure it would take really specific ejection and injection angles and a whole load of math that I'm too lazy to do.

Also, have a cool video and story about the Space Shuttle's RTLS abort system:

Fun fact: an RTLS has never been successfully performed, not even in simulations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

11. Post #2171
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,483 Posts
    Fun fact: an RTLS has never been successfully performed, not even in simulations.
    thats pretty scary
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #2172
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,551 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

13. Post #2173
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    19,072 Posts

I couldn't find a Merlin anywhere in the shop this is false advertising I'm going to email Elon about this!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

14. Post #2174
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,483 Posts
    expensive clothes with a tiny logo on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

15. Post #2175
    January 2009
    1,437 Posts
    Nine years and Opportunity is still rolling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

16. Post #2176
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #2177
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,300 Posts
    id rather stick with a fisher, because if im ever stuck in a blast furnace, id like to write my last will
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #2178
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,281 Posts
    May I explore you?
    I-I don't know. For some reason I get the vibe "exploring me" is very painful and something I would not be into.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #2179
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    9,230 Posts
    Another fun fact about RTLS, because I always found this insanely scary, is that the likelihood of successfully performing an RTLS and keeping the orbiter and her crew intact is less than 5%!

Imagine being onboard the shuttle and you heard them call for an RTLS abort.
    I'd shit myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

20. Post #2180
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,483 Posts
    I-I don't know. For some reason I get the vibe "exploring me" is very painful and something I would not be into.
    got to find all those black holes through exploratory surgery

trust me

I'm a space-doctor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #2181
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,281 Posts
    got to find all those black holes through exploratory surgery

trust me

I'm a space-doctor
    But I don't let anything near my "Black hole"...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #2182
    Space is very big filled with lots of space.

All right I'm done here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

23. Post #2183
    Ask me about my .gif fetish
    February 2008
    2,964 Posts
    Space is very big filled with lots of space.

All right I'm done here.
    "Beyond the top of the sky was the place the Thing had called the universe. It contained -- according to the Thing -- everything and nothing. And there was very little everything and more nothing than anyone could imagine."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Wings)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #2184
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    19,072 Posts
    Another fun fact about RTLS, because I always found this insanely scary, is that the likelihood of successfully performing an RTLS and keeping the orbiter and her crew intact is less than 5%!

Imagine being onboard the shuttle and you heard them call for an RTLS abort.
    I'd shit myself.
    I'd shit myself if I was in mission control, too. Probably moreso in the shuttle, but that radio suspense would be to much for me. Basically listening to people who could very well be dead soon.

Edited:

Imagine the atmosphere in that room as they called "Columbia, Houston, comm check." and never got an answer back. That's a sentence I can still hear in my head.

Edited:

Not sure if the loss of telemetry is due to re entry or a breakup. That's just too much suspense for me, man. Major respect for those guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #2185
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,270 Posts
    So, I have been pondering on getting a telescope recently.

Was wondering for those who have them if you could offer me some advice and suggestions on a good telescope.

The two I am looking at...

http://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarB...mBrowsing=true

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/...CategoryId=339
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

26. Post #2186
    I JUST WANT A CUSTOM TITLE FUCK YOU ALL
    December 2010
    990 Posts

Was wondering for those who have them if you could offer me some advice and suggestions on a good telescope.

You should definitely get the second one. Better specs in general and worth the extra money. Orion is a very reliable brand.

I've actually got this one

http://www.telescope.com/Orion-Build...?keyword=orion

and it's done me a lot of good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #2187
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,483 Posts

I have the star blast, very nice scope but I got it for 165$ instead of the 230 listed on there. probably the best beginner scope before they get complicated. but if you have the 300$ and can deal with learning how to do it buy the probe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

28. Post #2188
    Dennab
    May 2010
    3,746 Posts
    Zhumell is good too.

29. Post #2189
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,603 Posts

Best email I have received so far.

Oh how I wish I was further in my studies.
    Same, they want Juniors/Seniors and I'm only a Sophomore :( Hopefully next year they'll have even more available opportunities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #2190
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,300 Posts
    actually the worst part would be watching the lifesigns as they come in and stop, when the challenger exploded they still got some data back as the crew rode the wreckage up and passed out then crashed

31. Post #2191
    March 2012
    960 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

32. Post #2192
    Dennab
    May 2010
    3,746 Posts
    My grandpa just gave me all 3 volumes of the Feynman Lectures on Physics. Anyone read them?

33. Post #2193
    January 2009
    1,437 Posts
    Rocketry books from the early space age! (1956)

Wish I had better pictures but my phone hates taking pictures in any light darker than sunlight. Oh well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

34. Post #2194
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,403 Posts
    I like this image.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #2195
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,483 Posts
    looks like an astronauts foot print

my foot print

36. Post #2196
    Dennab
    May 2010
    3,746 Posts
    You're not going to Mars. Give up on your dreams already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #2197
    September 2012
    525 Posts
    We are. Privately though, the shitnuts at the white house will spend all of the bugdet on a zero-friction office chair for the next dumbass in the white house to spin around on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

38. Post #2198
    Ask me about my .gif fetish
    February 2008
    2,964 Posts
    We are. Privately though, the shitnuts at the white house will spend all of the bugdet on a zero-friction office chair for the next dumbass in the white house to spin around on.
    Zero friction bearings would be something worth investing in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

39. Post #2199
    Zero friction bearings would be something worth investing in.
    That would be impressive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

40. Post #2200
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,483 Posts
    no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)