1. Post #1561
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,672 Posts
    So far it just looks like a bunch of primitives stacked together with the main piece made out of booleans, which is something you're not supposed to use like, ever if you plan to put it in any game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1562
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,734 Posts

first model how do i fix the squiggly wigglys
    Just apply the un-squiggly wiggly modifier in Max.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #1563
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,240 Posts
    Stopped working on the turret for now to make a taser for someone.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

4. Post #1564

there's a little bit of pinching in some places(on that curve opposite to the trigger; and on the top curve of the back of the grip) but it shouldn't show up on the normal map, depending on the resolution you plan on using. Looks great otherwise!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #1565
    May 2011
    1,768 Posts
    Set phaser to stun!

6. Post #1566
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    849 Posts

How exactly did you make the grip detail? Is there some secret modifier yet unkown to me simplyfying the process of making repeating small patterns or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #1567
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,240 Posts
    How exactly did you make the grip detail? Is there some secret modifier yet unkown to me simplyfying the process of making repeating small patterns or something?
    I make one of those small holes then copy it across depending how thick I need it, same for height, I then gave it a border and cleaned up the edges, all floating geo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #1568
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,617 Posts
    rerendered a bunch of stuff and updated portfolio

http://www.juniez.co.cc/

yay

also gives some people antivirus warnings

no idea why
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #1569
    May 2011
    842 Posts

How the hell do I uvw unwrap, anyone want to do it for me lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #1570
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,170 Posts

Honestly bro I would spend more time modeling before you try to put something in the game. It takes a very long time to get good at modeling so a first time model won't pass well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1571
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,360 Posts

If you're willing to save it in a .OBJ format, I can probably help with unwrapping it in Blender.

12. Post #1572
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    July 2009
    8,026 Posts
    He should try it himself, I think he was joking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

13. Post #1573

you should have probably started with a simple cube or something simple, just to get the basic workflow (modeling, UVing, etc...).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #1574
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    862 Posts
    Also, put your viewport to a normal perspective view, not orthographic (which makes angles look incorrectly).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1575
    January 2008
    1,097 Posts
    Also, put your viewport to a normal perspective view, not orthographic (which makes angles look incorrectly).
    Orthographic projection or view or whatever... is good for technical objects. You can spot any misalignments easier. TRUST MEH'!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #1576
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,734 Posts
    Orthographic projection or view or whatever... is good for technical objects. You can spot any misalignments easier. TRUST MEH'!
    From the front, top and side views maybe. All it does for me otherwise is make distances impossible to determine.

Edited:

Here's a nifty tutorial. Don't give up! Even though your model looks somewhat complicated for a first try there's no better way to learn other than to just go at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

17. Post #1577
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    3,908 Posts
    Honestly bro I would spend more time modeling before you try to put something in the game. It takes a very long time to get good at modeling so a first time model won't pass well.
    The sooner you get the workflow figured out the better I think. You have all the time in the world to learn to model, but why not learn to model AND put it in the game at the same time? You improve in both at the same time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #1578
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,240 Posts
    What's everyone using for gun references these days? That really awesome website where it had tons and tons of weapons with attachments has gone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #1579
    What's everyone using for gun references these days? That really awesome website where it had tons and tons of weapons with attachments has gone.
    http://pimpmygun.doctornoob.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #1580
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,157 Posts
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryReferenceProp

And all the content from the website you're referring to: http://deicidenbf.thanez.net/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

21. Post #1581
    May 2011
    842 Posts

Any tips on texturing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #1582
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,714 Posts
    Your proportions are very off.

Shitty picture but it's to scale:

It's too fat and short, the grip and scope are tiny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1583
    May 2011
    842 Posts
    Your proportions are very off.

Shitty picture but it's to scale:

It's too fat and short, the grip and scope are tiny.
    I don't think that picture is to scale, it's a home made replica IIRC,
    there isn't much info on the m202 to go by except that it is 883mm fully extended, mine is about that in units??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

24. Post #1584
    May 2011
    1,768 Posts

He's right. Your model is a little too short in length and stubby. The grip should be a tad bit bigger and the same goes for the scope.

25. Post #1585
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,714 Posts
    I don't think that picture is to scale, it's a home made replica IIRC,
    there isn't much info on the m202 to go by except that it is 883mm fully extended, mine is about that in units??
    1 3dsmax unit doesn't nessecarily equal 1mm, and even if that is right the width/height/everything isn't.

You can pretty plainly see yours is way out of proportion just by looking at any picture of the M202, replica or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #1586

Any tips on texturing?
    here's are 2 good ones for metal textures: http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/pho...etal-textures/
    and http://www.game-artist.net/forums/sp...-painting.html

this article is a little bit more technical: http://www.manufato.com/?p=902
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

27. Post #1587
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    849 Posts
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page
    The pages of the various weapontypes almost all have sidepictures for reference modelling or looking for unique sillhouettes // or just this http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Category:Gun_Image .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

28. Post #1588
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,734 Posts
    Testbake turned out kind of shit but absolutely horrible Max performance and Photoshop crashes has frustrated me to the point where I'd rather go to bed than improve it right now.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #1589
    July 2009
    8,026 Posts
    That's pretty.

You're pretty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

30. Post #1590
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,734 Posts
    Woke up, drank a pot of coffee, cursed Max '12, configured '09 to my liking, re-uvd, re-baked, cleaned.

Finally moving onto the texture stage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

31. Post #1591
    looks great, do you have any wireframe shot?

32. Post #1592
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,734 Posts
    Sure thang. Low poly is just a draft so far, going to do a whole bunch of loop adjusting/reducing before it's finished.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #1593
    July 2009
    8,026 Posts
    Those 3 other packs are floating geometry?

Edited:

Oh yeah nevermind I can tell in the wireframe

34. Post #1594
    July 2011
    774 Posts
    Prop for a game im working on, still have tons to do.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

35. Post #1595
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,734 Posts
    Textured. Not sure I'm finished with it but that's it for today.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 11Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

36. Post #1596

August 2008
    388 Posts
    Fewes, all your work is so sexy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #1597
    July 2009
    8,026 Posts
    The tiny bit of wear here looks great, but I think it should be on some other parts as well. Particularly the bottom of the backpack if somebody is putting it down all the time.

38. Post #1598
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,734 Posts
    The tiny bit of wear here looks great, but I think it should be on some other parts as well. Particularly the bottom of the backpack if somebody is putting it down all the time.
    Pasting those decals was really boring so I stopped after only a few
    That's going on the list of improvements to be made though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

39. Post #1599
    July 2009
    8,026 Posts
    Stick a Buzz Lightyear in there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #1600
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,734 Posts
    Normally I would but I think modeling Buzz would take considerably longer than a zoo animal or a dildo...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)