1. Post #641
    May 2007
    183 Posts
    I need some help in making independent suspension suitable for high speeds (>60mph). I've tried all sorts, none can prevent or reduce the sideways wobbling when reaching 60mph. Sometimes I've managed to stay stable going straight at 80mph but just a little steer and it starts to wobble violently again...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

2. Post #642
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,797 Posts
    Are you using MakeSpherical? You could try to apply physprop_material jeeptire to your rearwheels only. Usually fixes both unstableness (oversteering in corners) and wobblyness for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

3. Post #643
    May 2007
    183 Posts
    Are you using MakeSpherical? You could try to apply physprop_material jeeptire to your rearwheels only. Usually fixes both unstableness (oversteering in corners) and wobblyness for me.
    Yes I did. Even tried lua wheels too. Problem's with the suspension and I can't figure out why as I've made it like the rest.

I've been making all sorts of suspensions for weeks, still can't find the answer. God I must be stupid....

4. Post #644
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,423 Posts
    Don't think yourself stupid, I've been having the same problem for ages. I've found that a solid axle setup for the rear wheels helps with abnormal behavior in turns, and a low overall weight helps with high speed wobbling, but even that can be a hit-and-miss stopgap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #645
    May 2007
    183 Posts
    Also I'm using acf engines. Sometimes the wobbling is caused by too much power and speed going to the flywheels, trying to tear itself off the chassis.

6. Post #646
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,370 Posts
    Nothing special but I made a holosphere hologram with wire, and attached it to an airboat.

So I can turn it on by a button on the side, and drive around and it actually is pretty cool. I'll get a few pictures when I can.

Edited:

Maybe I'll do the same with a jeep or a jalopy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

7. Post #647
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,991 Posts
    the wobbling is because makespherical has no lateral stability. You need to lower your center of gravity or add roll bars. I think we've gone over this before.

8. Post #648
    May 2007
    183 Posts
    To better understand my problem, I made a simple sketch to explain.

This is the typical suspension setup. Red = hydraulic, yellow = ropes.

At normal speeds (<60mph) it behaves just like any other suspension. But when reaching 60mph, the base plate starts to wobble violently. Wheels are still gripping well and stable, just the body itself shakes.

9. Post #649
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,423 Posts
    Damnit Red, I was gonna mention lateral stability, but I was too tired to form a proper explanation.

Basically, since the wheels have no lateral stability, the weight of the vehicle alone must keep the vehicle in balance. This causes a problem in Source, as the physics checks aren't updating fast enough to keep up with the suspension balanced, causing the weight to overcorrect. If you've ever seen something start moving a tiny amount, and then start to increase in intensity until it "black-hole"s, it's the same deal.

10. Post #650
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,991 Posts
    Damnit Red, I was gonna mention lateral stability, but I was too tired to form a proper explanation.
    lawl

Ultra-long-stroke 2.1-ton V8 industrial monster built directly into the chassis (chassis weight not included). 3-ton flywheel added for testing.

Now...what to put around it?

11. Post #651
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,797 Posts
    Put it on a motorcycle. Probably going to be a tight fit but I think it would work (you should probably get a smaller flywheel for it though, not sure if that will fit).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

12. Post #652
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,991 Posts
    Put it on a motorcycle. Probably going to be a tight fit but I think it would work (you should probably get a smaller flywheel for it though, not sure if that will fit).
    Looks like a proven, practical idea.
    Might do an articulated hauler. They're fun.

13. Post #653
    August 2010
    43 Posts
    To better understand my problem, I made a simple sketch to explain.

This is the typical suspension setup. Red = hydraulic, yellow = ropes.

At normal speeds (<60mph) it behaves just like any other suspension. But when reaching 60mph, the base plate starts to wobble violently. Wheels are still gripping well and stable, just the body itself shakes.

To reduce wobble it is best if you
    A. use precision ailgnment to set up your hydrolics and
    B. use a layout more like this

using the same Red= hydrolics Yellow= ropes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

14. Post #654

July 2008
    832 Posts
    Forward-swept wing design that's absolutely god-awful ugly. 140kph on a single 7l v12 and I haven't stalled or spun-out yet

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Useful Useful x 2 (list)

15. Post #655
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,423 Posts
    Nonono, elastics can be better placed using Precision Alignment. Place the elastic between the middle of the wheel (where the ropes should be placed as well), and the exact same point, except attached to the chassis. Make sure 'stretch only' is ticked, and you should be good to go. This eliminates the weight of an elastic bar above the chassis, lowering the center of mass. It also provides extreme simplicity, as it takes literally 4 clicks of the mouse a few keystrokes to perform.

Edited:

You should devise a way to transmit rotational motion into linear motion and make a hydraulic pump that the engine can power. make some sort of heavy mover or lifter and have hydraulic drive, steering, and utility features. Would be impressive to see the engine dip in RPM when you're slowly lifting several tons of metal overhead via some sort of hydraulic bucket.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #656
    May 2007
    183 Posts
    Porsche 911 turbo '88 in progress:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #657
    Needs more suspension.
    February 2006
    5,467 Posts
    To reduce wobble it is best if you
    A. use precision ailgnment to set up your hydrolics and
    B. use a layout more like this

using the same Red= hydrolics Yellow= ropes
    i've found some wobble is exacerbated but excessive swingarm length- as the car moves at high speed, the wheels create the wobble, and this causes the suspension to expand and contract, which moves the wheels side to side (the longer the swingarm, the more lateral movement of the wheel as it moves up and down)

the amount of travel you have also plays into this; if you have 20 inches of travel, your wheels can move at least 10-20 inches laterally
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #658
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    466 Posts
    What serves you guys play on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

19. Post #659
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,797 Posts
    So I opened up YouTube today and a guy really seemed to like the videos I do on my GMod cars.

oh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

20. Post #660
    June 2010
    70 Posts
    So I opened up YouTube today and a guy really seemed to like the videos I do on my GMod cars.

oh.
    Constructive critisicm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Norway Show Events

21. Post #661
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,537 Posts
    Soccer? LOL.

22. Post #662
    May 2011
    842 Posts
    Porsche 911 turbo '88 in progress:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #663
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,991 Posts
    i've found some wobble is exacerbated but excessive swingarm length- as the car moves at high speed, the wheels create the wobble, and this causes the suspension to expand and contract, which moves the wheels side to side (the longer the swingarm, the more lateral movement of the wheel as it moves up and down)

the amount of travel you have also plays into this; if you have 20 inches of travel, your wheels can move at least 10-20 inches laterally
    How does suspension flex create lateral movement? And how does this have to do with the wobble? If you're saying it's caused by the changing track path, by the lateral movement, then wouldn't longer A-arms be better because they have less sideways scrub?

I can't tell if you're explaining it weird, or if you're trying to invalidate the laws of physics. can you elaborate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #664
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    520 Posts
    Jesus, I've been playing this game for a long time and yet I feel like a monkey who just walked into a nuclear physics laboratory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

25. Post #665
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,685 Posts
    We get that a lot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #666
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    520 Posts
    Do you folks have a server you play on? I might drop in and try to learn something.

27. Post #667
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    607 Posts

oh.
    that's not even the best part.

his videos consist of him playing clubpenguin and his downsyndrome siblings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/littlemanjre

Edited:

fucking hell, he's like 7 years old.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

28. Post #668
    May 2007
    183 Posts
    its mah second body dun be mean

first:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

29. Post #669
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,797 Posts

first:

http://i.imgur.com/JOUms.jpg
    I have to give you that, that is actually quite a nice body you got there. I'd consider checking if there's another material though, looks quite plastic-ish like a toy car in the picture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #670
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    520 Posts

]
    Sexy.

So, I took a look at the tutorials in the OP, and built myself an engine and chassis. Any suggestions on how to link them up?

31. Post #671
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,423 Posts
    When the engine is mounted perpendicular to the direction of travel (transaxial), it's really easy. Weld the crankcase to the frame where ever you want it. Center Axis the crankshaft and flywheel to the frame as well for added stability. Center Ballsocket the flywheel and crankshaft to the rear wheels, making sure the 'rotation constraint' box is checked in the tool's context menu. Viola.

For engines mounted with the crankshaft parallel to the direction of travel (linear), things are a bit more tricky, requiring multiple ballsockets and such. I'd stick with transaxial mounting for now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #672
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    520 Posts
    Awesome, thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #673
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    961 Posts

first:

That last one is insanely sexy! I'd love to take a ride in that if it gets finished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

34. Post #674
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,991 Posts

first:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #675
    January 2012
    217 Posts
    First time trying to make a proper car instead of a plane. I didn't have any set model in mind, I just started assembling shit together and hoped for the best

Max speed is around 110Km/h and climbs pretty nicely

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #676
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,423 Posts
    Rather large.

37. Post #677
    Gold Member

November 2011
    3,315 Posts
    reminds me of Rigs of Rods
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #678
    January 2012
    217 Posts
    Rather large.
    I agree

Better next time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

39. Post #679
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    961 Posts
    First time trying to make a proper car instead of a plane. I didn't have any set model in mind, I just started assembling shit together and hoped for the best

Max speed is around 110Km/h and climbs pretty nicely

I really like the looks of this car. the only downside is it's size.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #680
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,299 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)