1. Post #441

June 2011
    86 Posts
    So is that "Use a Mac for it" cause I got one of those too...
    No, Mac is just the same as windows in this instance. The main reason for the slow speed is because it is emulating ARM code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

2. Post #442
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    142 Posts
    The emulator just runs like shit on windows.

Moral of the story:
    Stop using windows.
    It runs at a decent speed for me on Windows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

3. Post #443
    September 2011
    181 Posts
    You should see the ones used for their animations.
    This is the one used for animations. I've stripped this out of Lego Racers, and I'm now tinkering away trying to get the actual animation format worked out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

4. Post #444
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    This is the one used for animations. I've stripped this out of Lego Racers, and I'm now tinkering away trying to get the actual animation format worked out.
    Sorry, I should have made that more clear, I meant the ones they make today's animated shorts with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

5. Post #445
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,177 Posts
    You could try something like
    public static T GetColor<T>(float r, float g, float b, float a) where T : Brush

or some other type constraint
    In that case I might as well use Brush instead of T. The point is to accept a lot of different types.

[snip, possible idiocy]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

6. Post #446
    LOL
    August 2009
    2,033 Posts
    Does anybody know of a good free .NET OCR library? Other than Tesseract and that MODI thing Microsoft provides? Tesseract doesn't work and MODI requires Microsoft Office.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

7. Post #447

August 2007
    202 Posts
    No, Mac is just the same as windows in this instance. The main reason for the slow speed is because it is emulating ARM code.
    So I guess the best course of action would be to buy an Android phone then? Cause I can't work like this, when your clients want a slick UX (don't use android lol) and demand Android then I need to be able to test it at real speed.

edit:

I don't understand their thinking behind that, that's retarded. Both Microsoft and Apple have simulators that run using OS native code, Java is more than capable of being compiled for multiplatform (that's what made it popular after all) what are Google playing at!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

8. Post #448

September 2011
    346 Posts
    Some doods asked for this :

Here is the download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7356521/CODE/GayBenSpeech.zip ( Sorry for it being all hard coded, If someone sends me more wav files with gabe speaking stuff do send them to me So I can add them )
    make it use relative paths
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 18Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

9. Post #449
    September 2011
    181 Posts
    Sorry, I should have made that more clear, I meant the ones they make today's animated shorts with.
    Ah. I would actually rather like to see those, are you able to show me?

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,405 Posts
    just use premake.
    Premake doesn't support custom toolchains and breaks quite a bit with both Qt and OS X Lion. And I'm not feeling too comfortable with using a beta, and then having to deal with workarounds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

11. Post #451
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    901 Posts
    Mind sharing how it exactly works?

You could get positions and sizes of all windows through WinAPI, but how do you display the s and how do you get mouse input?
    For displaying, I actually have a fullscreen transparent form that allows mouse events to fall through it. For input, I'm using global hooks to get the mouse input.

The hardest part for me through was figuring out the win api functions and when to use them (I'm not exactly experienced with them )

Edit:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,344 Posts
    Does anybody know of a good free .NET OCR library? Other than Tesseract and that MODI thing Microsoft provides? Tesseract doesn't work and MODI requires Microsoft Office.
    For a project we used Puma.NET which is based of Cuneiform I think.

It was horrible, but not hard to get working. If you get strange exceptions, try running as admin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

13. Post #453
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,206 Posts
    Thought of a way to fake component based entity systems in C++ with a hierarchal system.
    Just put Entity::Init() in your init function, or whatever component you need to derive from.
    It's not a great, or robust solution but it works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

14. Post #454
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    Ah. I would actually rather like to see those, are you able to show me?
    Nah, saw them a long tiem ago when one of the animators posted pics of it in work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

15. Post #455
    LOL
    August 2009
    2,033 Posts
    For a project we used Puma.NET which is based of Cuneiform I think.

It was horrible, but not hard to get working. If you get strange exceptions, try running as admin.
    Well, I'm getting this:

Here's my code:

Code:
      Try
                Dim T As New Tesseract
                Using O As New OpenFileDialog
                    With O
                        If Not .ShowDialog = DialogResult.Cancel Then
                            Dim B As Bitmap = New Bitmap(.FileName)
                            T.Init(Application.ExecutablePath, "Eng", False)
                            Dim L As List(Of Word) = T.DoOCR(B, Rectangle.Empty)
                            For Each w As Word In L
                                MessageBox.Show(w.Text)
                            Next
                        End If
                    End With
                End Using
            Catch Ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(Ex.Message)
            End Try
    I've tried everything, can't get it working, but I'll look up Puma.NET.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

16. Post #456

August 2007
    202 Posts
    VB... "Those days are gone, those days are gone"

Well, I'm getting this:

Here's my code:

Code:
      Try
                Dim T As New Tesseract
                Using O As New OpenFileDialog
                    With O
                        If Not .ShowDialog = DialogResult.Cancel Then
                            Dim B As Bitmap = New Bitmap(.FileName)
                            T.Init(Application.ExecutablePath, "Eng", False)
                            Dim L As List(Of Word) = T.DoOCR(B, Rectangle.Empty)
                            For Each w As Word In L
                                MessageBox.Show(w.Text)
                            Next
                        End If
                    End With
                End Using
            Catch Ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(Ex.Message)
            End Try
    I've tried everything, can't get it working, but I'll look up Puma.NET.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

17. Post #457
    July 2010
    1,031 Posts
    I've recently made many upgrades to AirTraffic. That includes fully functional menus with pause support and animated sprites for aircrafts. I also added wind, but it's hard to feel it's effect and making it stronger would make it really difficult and unrealistic.

Here's a video of the last upgrades:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Estonia Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4 (list)

18. Post #458
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,781 Posts
    Gravity can be fun

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Jersey Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

19. Post #459
    LOL
    August 2009
    2,033 Posts
    VB... "Those days are gone, those days are gone"
    I'd use C# but VB is my first programming language and I program about 200% faster in it than C#.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,551 Posts
    I'd use C# but VB is my first programming language and I program about 200% faster in it than C#.
    Just learn C#
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 25Funny Funny x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

21. Post #461
    Jaykin' Bacon: Episode Three
    February 2005
    24,057 Posts

managed to finally get my websockets server handshaking properly with the latest WebSockets protocol :~) writing it from scratch in c++ with boost asio
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Programming King Programming King x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

22. Post #462
    June 2010
    15 Posts
    Small video of what I've been working on with another programmer and an artist.

Our blog is located here : http://optim-gamestudio.posterous.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Programming King Programming King x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    254 Posts
    Success! Everything you see is generated by the CPU, then passed to the GPU and ray traced. The very nice house was built by hand.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 19Programming King Programming King x 2Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #464
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    IMHO raytracing will start paying its toll when you start adding entities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

25. Post #465
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,569 Posts
    As long as they're writing to the depth buffer they don't need to ray trace entities, just use normal polygons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

26. Post #466
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    254 Posts
    Entities will be rendered with polygons. We're only using ray tracing to accelerate the landscape rendering, and deal with transparency.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

27. Post #467
    LOL
    August 2009
    2,033 Posts
    Just learn C#
    Can already program in C#. Prefer VB

Edited:

this isn't funny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 79Programming King x 2Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #468
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,569 Posts
    Entities will be rendered with polygons. We're only using ray tracing to accelerate the landscape rendering, and deal with transparency.
    That might be a problem with entities, where entities will be completely invisible if they are behind a transparent block. Unless you drew entities first (and entities can only have alphas of 0 or 255) and looked at the depth buffer while ray tracing.

I might be talking out my ass at this point.

29. Post #469
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    568 Posts
    Attempting to implement A* pathfinding, some strange occurrences, any help is appreciated...

-snip something fucked up my gif, i'll re-post it later-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

30. Post #470
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,177 Posts
    Can already program in C#. Prefer VB

Edited:

this isn't funny
    How exactly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

31. Post #471
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,027 Posts
    He ain't sane!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

32. Post #472
    September 2001
    13,162 Posts
    Got my addon publisher publishing to workshop. Think I should clean up the layout before I release it?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree x 20Funny x 3Disagree x 3Winner x 1Programming King x 1 (list)

33. Post #473
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,663 Posts
    And it seems to be working really nicely. Good job. I never imagined anyone would use raytracing in an actual game environment for a few years yet, but I guess you managed to optimise it enough to make it viable.

Edited:

Got my addon publisher publishing to workshop. Think I should clean up the layout before I release it?

Publish button below the addon info panel, maybe that'd look better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

34. Post #474
    May 2010
    3,577 Posts
    How you could prefer VB over C# knowing both is beyond me. VB is slower and looks like it was written with retarded people in mind (if you use VB don't take this as an offense, I just mean the syntax is silly)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

35. Post #475
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,483 Posts
    Who was the guy who made the shooter game starring ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

36. Post #476

May 2008
    875 Posts
    How you could prefer VB over C# knowing both is beyond me. VB is slower and looks like it was written with retarded people in mind (if you use VB don't take this as an offense, I just mean the syntax is silly)
    I don't see how VB can be slower seeing as it compiles to exactly the same IL. Sure, it's a horrible language to work with but when comparing it with C#, I don't think speed is an argument you can use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

37. Post #477
    LOL
    August 2009
    2,033 Posts
    How exactly?
    It's my first language, I'm used to it.

38. Post #478
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,663 Posts
    The syntax is worse than lua. (The style at least, lua is still a good scripting language, just the lack of {} annoys me after using c# / c++.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

39. Post #479
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,177 Posts
    It's my first language, I'm used to it.
    But we all had a first language. There's a reason people don't stick with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

40. Post #480
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,409 Posts
    My first language was perl, and to this day 'continue;' statements don't look right. I always want to put 'next;'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Friendly x 4Funny x 4Artistic x 1Agree x 1Programming King x 1 (list)