14,195 Posts
    checking this splashtop windows 8 thing out on my nexus 7
    this is so fucking cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

2. Post #5202
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,764 Posts
    Well, Windows 8 is now my only OS. I hope it was worth it.

Edited:

how do I make a shortcut from the taskbar and start menu run as an administrator by default?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #5203

August 2012
    1,022 Posts
    I like Start8 better than this Yooki thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #5204
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,332 Posts
    I like the stock Start Screen (I am the 1%)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree x 19Funny x 2Winner x 1Disagree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5205
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,961 Posts
    well for some reason when i try to install window 7 in my alternate HD 1. running with window 8 loaded trough disk freezes for a while and then shows up " NOT COMAPTIBLE IN WINDOWS.EXE or someting"

when i try to boot it goes well until the part where i have to select my HD it gives an error about a controller...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Venezuela Show Events

6. Post #5206
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,658 Posts
    I like Start8 better than this Yooki thing.
    Pokki?

I think it's retarded. It does everything Metro does, but it does it... smaller. But still takes up a good portion of your screen. More than your standard start menu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #5207
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,332 Posts
    Well, Windows 8 is now my only OS. I hope it was worth it.

Edited:

how do I make a shortcut from the taskbar and start menu run as an administrator by default?
    From the start screen, I don't think that can be done. From the taskbar: right-click the icon, then right-click the program name and click properties. Go to the compatibility tab, and check "Run this program as an administator". But I'm not sure whether this only applies to the shortcut; it might actually affect the program any way you launch it (which would take care of the start screen).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

8. Post #5208
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,496 Posts
    I've decided that I would get windows 8 for a new computer. I've been using vista for 2 years or so, so it will (hopefully) be a nice change. Will compatibility be a problem? I haven't switched OS's in awhile, so sorry If I seem clueless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

9. Post #5209
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,332 Posts
    I've decided that I would get windows 8 for a new computer. I've been using vista for 2 years or so, so it will (hopefully) be a nice change. Will compatibility be a problem? I haven't switched OS's in awhile, so sorry If I seem clueless.
    If you upgrade from Vista, your programs and files will be retained, and they should all be compatible, unless you're using an Intel graphics chip. Certain OS settings will be lost.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #5210
    December 2008
    761 Posts
    Anyone know how to fullscreen a youtube video but still show an app clipped to the side?

I basically just want it to take up the desktop window.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Tanzania, United Republic of Show Events

11. Post #5211
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,722 Posts
    Ugh, my college doesn't have Windows 8 on their Dreamspark (That I can access, at least). I guess i'll be forking out the $50 for the upgrade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #5212
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,164 Posts
    Is it possible to jump back to Win7 if I'm not satisfied with Win8 and still keep programs, etc?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #5213
    No. You would be satisfied with Windows 8 anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree x 7Disagree x 4Dumb x 3Funny x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #5214
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,896 Posts
    When you go Win8, you never go back.

Edited:

EVER
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #5215
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,669 Posts

Edited:

EVER
    I went back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing x 13Dumb x 2Artistic x 2Disagree x 2Optimistic x 1Useful x 1Agree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #5216
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,164 Posts
    It's just because right now I have a lot of stuff that's customized on Windows 7 and I'm not sure if it will fuck up if I switch.
    Right now I'm using a combination of 7Pro and my own theme settings for foobar2000 making it look like this:

And here with a typical Windows 7 theme:

So basically; if 7Pro doesn't work with Windows 8, then my customized theme for Foobar2000 will look fugly.

Edited:

I should just actually suck it up and customize foobar2k over the Windows 8 looks though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

17. Post #5217
    Turbo Dyke
    Dennab
    June 2010
    19,687 Posts

Edited:

EVER
    well it made me switch to linux so I guess not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 8Zing x 6Dumb x 3Winner x 1Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #5218
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,179 Posts
    Swithced from w8 to w7 again just because some sutff wasn't working, looking forward to the launch though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #5219
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,401 Posts
    Any cons to windows 7? compatability issues? anything?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy the upgrade and I'm a bit iffy because I'm in love with 7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

20. Post #5220

August 2012
    1,022 Posts
    Windows 8 is the best operating system Microsoft has put out since XP in my opinion. It's that big of a jump to me. Also the performance is great, do I wish they merged Metro and the desktop experience together in a better, more efficient, not-fragmented way? Certainly but Windows 9 will take care of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #5221
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    8,475 Posts

Edited:

EVER
    It made me install Archlinux on a spare SSD, so I only have to use windows8 for playing games.

I'll probably use it as my main OS, once its been out for a few months and has been showered with updates, and when a few important programs I use have been updated to work with windows8

Edited:

And once a few good themes are out/ported
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #5222
    October 2009
    1,411 Posts
    Pokki?

I think it's retarded. It does everything Metro does, but it does it... smaller. But still takes up a good portion of your screen. More than your standard start menu.
    So, it does everything Metro does, but doesn't force you to go into fullscreen mode every time you want something, but just uses a decent amount of your screen space?

How exactly is that retarded?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #5223

August 2012
    1,022 Posts
    I don't get what people are talking about when "compatibility issues" come up while talking about Windows 8. Everything I have installed has worked fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #5224
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    8,475 Posts
    I don't get what people are talking about when "compatibility issues" come up while talking about Windows 8. Everything I have installed has worked fine.
    Other people use different software than you do.

I have come across several incompatibilities, especially in business software, AV's and firewalls.

wich means, I can't use windows8 for anything work-related.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Switzerland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #5225
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,195 Posts
    all the stuff that had compatibility issues didn't work because the installer was checking the os version and not allowing anything that's not xp/vista/7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #5226
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    9,247 Posts
    Still having having some driver problems, was worse in older releases of Windows 8 but oh well. Oh well running a dual boot on my laptop with Windows 7 and 8 installed to virtual hard disks.

Time to install 2008 and 2012 on it,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #5227
    October 2011
    1,206 Posts
    What are the goods and bad about windows 8? I've seen a lot of people dislike it and want it to fail, what do you guys think others think windows 8 is so bad?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

28. Post #5228
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,344 Posts
    What are the goods and bad about windows 8? I've seen a lot of people dislike it and want it to fail, what do you guys think others think windows 8 is so bad?
    People don't like change.

Really though, most (if not all) people I've talked to who have actually tried Windows 8, liked it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

29. Post #5229
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,630 Posts
    They don't like that it have changed.
    It's not the change itself they hate, but more that it's not what is used to be.

They just need to try it properly.
    I just introduced it to my gf, and she was amazed on the new Metro screen and how everything is just smooth, crisp and user friendly.

I was generally amazed how she could easily learn how the interface worked and navigate around without trouble
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #5230
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,332 Posts
    Bad: Metro
    Good: everything else
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

31. Post #5231
    kill yourself
    May 2008
    4,562 Posts
    When getting Windows 8 from the windows store you can get a downloadable version for like 40$.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #5232
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    Bad: Metro
    Good: everything else
    Metro is fine, its just not integrated properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #5233
    October 2011
    1,206 Posts
    People say they can't find files as easily, this is how you look for your files:

Step 1: Press

Step 2: type in the name of your file, I don't know about hidden files though.

Edited:

Well here's how to find hidden files:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...-in-windows-8/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #5234
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    9,260 Posts
    Wait, so have the actual Windows 8 been released yet?
    Haven't followed this at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

35. Post #5235
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,331 Posts
    Wait, so have the actual Windows 8 been released yet?
    Haven't followed this at all.
    No, it comes out the 26th
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #5236
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,658 Posts
    So, it does everything Metro does, but doesn't force you to go into fullscreen mode every time you want something, but just uses a decent amount of your screen space?

How exactly is that retarded?
    Oh right, I guess you're really that engrossed on whatever is on your screen under the start menu that you're focusing on that instead of the start menu. I had no idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

37. Post #5237
    I <3 OTTERS~
    July 2011
    9,260 Posts
    No, it comes out the 26th
    Oh okay. Then I'll be gone for a lnoger while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Sweden Show Events

38. Post #5238
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,950 Posts
    I'd just like to point out that there's supposedly a Metro file browser on the market that is very decent. Might be useful to you guys with tablets, it's one of the things that I really can't understand Microsoft didn't include out of the box.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

39. Post #5239
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,332 Posts
    it's one of the things that I really can't understand Microsoft didn't include out of the box.
    Because MS wants Metro to have the same philosophy as Android and iOS, where all of your files are indexed and accessed through the apps you're going to use them in, and not through a file browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #5240
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,079 Posts
    Is there anywhere in the UK offering preorders for the system builder version?

I've never actually owned Windows before so I can't get the upgrade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events