1. Post #4241
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,669 Posts
    Is there a way to disable the password for an account in Windows 8?
    The closest thing I can get, is to enable auto login with "control userpasswords2". It just doesn't remove the password request when the computer wakes up after sleep mode. The password-related settings in Power settings are all grayed out.
    Only way is to use a local account.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #4242
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    2,327 Posts
    I don't use a local account and I autologin. I dunno how I did it, but it's on google if you search :P

Edited:

Oh my sleep mode doesn't work though, so that might be irrelevant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events

3. Post #4243
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    235 Posts
    Sure you're not missing the UAC flag at the top?

Ah doh. Thank you.

Only way is to use a local account.
    Figured as much. Though, you can get around most of the troubles by doing what I did. Setup auto-login with "control userpasswords2" and then go into power settings and disable the password requirement after sleep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Denmark Show Events

4. Post #4244
    January 2012
    1,532 Posts
    Will Windows 8 include some type of Windows XP Mode like in 7 Pro?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #4245
    Turbo Dyke
    Dennab
    June 2010
    19,687 Posts
    I don't think there is much reason for it
    It was removed in Win7 in the end too iirc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #4246
    January 2012
    390 Posts
    So I've been getting problems with my icons an whatnot not showing up on my Win8 desktop... any fix?
    This. Please. This. Help.

EDIT: So I fixed the problem... I reinstalled Win8. But now I have an unactivated Windows 8 Pro. :(

Dammit this is hard.

EDIT 2: I can't find a working activation method! ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #4247
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,332 Posts
    I don't think so. If you have a key for XP, just use VirtualBox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

8. Post #4248
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    795 Posts
    I hear alot of people not liking metro for desktop. I don't mind it that much but for those who don't like it but do want windows 8 here is something you might want to look at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #4249
    Ready to install Windows 8 again. Yay!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #4250
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,352 Posts
    Using Windows 8 Release preview and gotta say i like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

11. Post #4251
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    I like Win8 except for it having no easy way of opening any of the things that used to be in the start menu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4252
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,332 Posts
    I like Win8 except for it having no easy way of opening any of the things that used to be in the start menu.
    Like what, specifically? Do you know about the power menu? (Windows + X, or right-click on lower-left hot corner)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #4253
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,001 Posts
    I am not so excited for Windows 8 because of the fact it still has the same flaws of Windows that have needed fixing forever now

Do you know that if you run a compatible game in WINE on Linux, it will have faster load times? It's because of the file system, Windows uses NTFS, which came out 16 years ago. It's ancient, and MS had planned to make a new one for when Longhorn (which became Vista) came out

I mean the archaicness of Windows genuinly pisses me off, some of the flaws that Windows has still Apple OSX and Linux fixed years ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

14. Post #4254
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    Like what, specifically? Do you know about the power menu? (Windows + X, or right-click on lower-left hot corner)
    Mostly the control panel, the lower left corner just switches between Start and last open menu for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

15. Post #4255
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,883 Posts
    I'm guessing this is the easiest question ever asked in the history of man but

Upgrading from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit

I get to keep my files, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #4256
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,332 Posts
    I'm guessing this is the easiest question ever asked in the history of man but

Upgrading from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit

I get to keep my files, right?
    It will be a clean install, but your old files will go into C:\Windows.old
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #4257
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,883 Posts
    It will be a clean install, but your old files will go into C:\Windows.old
    Alright, excellent. I've done it before I just wanted to make sure it would happen again.

Edited:

meaning XP to 7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

18. Post #4258
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts
    Why do they still make 32-bit? As far as know,the last 32-bit only CPU was made in 2005.

Yes I've been given the "dumb" rating because I don't know something. Friendly bunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #4259
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    Dennab
    May 2010
    6,170 Posts
    Why do they still make 32-bit? As far as know,the last 32-bit only CPU was made in 2005.
    My Eee PC 904HD has a one core Celeron. And 1GB of RAM, worse is that its 900mhz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

20. Post #4260
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts
    My Eee PC 904HD has a one core Celeron. And 1GB of RAM, worse is that its 900mhz.
    It's almost below minimum requirements, personally I'd only run XP on that machine. But you have a point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #4261
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    Dennab
    May 2010
    6,170 Posts
    It's almost below minimum requirements, personally I'd only run XP on that machine. But you have a point.
    I know, I'm planning on selling the thing so I could get an x130e. Probably an x230e from Lenovo rather. It's so old and slow, it's hard drive is dying and it's not worth using anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #4262
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts
    I know, I'm planning on selling the thing so I could get an x130e. Probably an x230e from Lenovo rather. It's so old and slow, it's hard drive is dying and it's not worth using anymore.
    Well you're talking to a guy who is trying to get a 486SX laptop working for old times sake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

23. Post #4263
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,742 Posts
    If I burn the release preview to a dvd and go to install it onto my second internal hard drive with the win7 drive unplugged, will the drive be wiped? I have some folders I'd rather like to still have on there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #4264
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,079 Posts
    Is there a way to disable the password for an account in Windows 8?
    The closest thing I can get, is to enable auto login with "control userpasswords2". It just doesn't remove the password request when the computer wakes up after sleep mode. The password-related settings in Power settings are all grayed out.
    Win + X, Admin Cmd Prompt

Type: "control userpasswords2"

Uncheck the Box "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

It's ridiculous that it's that deeply hidden.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #4265
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,857 Posts
    If I burn the release preview to a dvd and go to install it onto my second internal hard drive with the win7 drive unplugged, will the drive be wiped? I have some folders I'd rather like to still have on there.
    You should leave it plugged in or it won't add windows 7 to the bootloader.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

26. Post #4266
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,742 Posts
    You should leave it plugged in or it won't add windows 7 to the bootloader.
    I can choose boot discs from bios menu, like I do when I want to use my external ubuntu drive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #4267
    Windows 8 is running and doesn't crash, yay!

I really like how it looks right now. Someone please make a Win8 RP theme when the full version comes out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

28. Post #4268
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,669 Posts
    Windows 8 is running and doesn't crash, yay!

I really like how it looks right now. Someone please make a Win8 RP theme when the full version comes out.
    I believe it's already been done, but since Aero transparency/blur is gone it looks like ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #4269
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,883 Posts
    Getting the issue "We couldn't verify the serial key please check installation media" when typing the serial in the W8 RTM setup. Maybe I burned the iso wrong?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

30. Post #4270
    "TL;DR" is not an acceptable response to this post.
    May 2005
    1,454 Posts
    I'm using Classic Shell and I'm liking it a lot. It disables Metro hot corners, gives me a start menu and I can just rock a custom icon from Start 8.

I formatted my gaming PC and am giving it a go, since it went smoothly on my VMWare setup. I gotta say, fuck, resuming from hibernate mode (Not sleep because it uses more power than I'd like) is damn fast. Four seconds and I'm ready to log in! (Excluding the time BIOS takes to fiddle and fart arse around, which is 15 damn seconds :()

My only issues now are minor cosmetic ones. Things like minor gradients and small rounded corners on edges look really nice... but since it's a gaming rig, it doesn't matter too much because I won't need to look at the desktop often enough to care. That's what my Macbook Pro is for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

31. Post #4271
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,883 Posts
    Ignore my last post. Finally upgraded my PC to Windows 8, first time with a 64-bit OS installation. Holy fuck I love this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #4272
    August 2008
    555 Posts
    I'm really hating that I can't use a pen to swipe stuff around like touch input would. I can drag things from the sides and corners of the screen just fine but when I want to navigate I have to find the scroll bars.
    At least Windows 8 seems to have better driver support for my digitizer pen, with Windows 7 it would work half way after installing the OS, the rest of the way after installing the drivers, then after windows update runs it will stop working entirely and work half way when I re-install drivers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

33. Post #4273
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,947 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #4274
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,961 Posts
    using classicshell can i get the same start menu i had with window 7?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Venezuela Show Events

35. Post #4275
    Dennab
    August 2009
    6,070 Posts
    using classicshell can i get the same start menu i had with window 7?
    This is the closest you can get, as far as I know: http://www.askvg.com/download-classi...-in-windows-8/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

36. Post #4276
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,404 Posts
    I'm quite enjoying Windows 8 so far, it seems a bit faster particularly on boot and shutdown, the improved file explorer is very handy and the task manager.

On the downside I still don't really like Metro and hardly ever use it except when using the start screen which I try to avoid, the way UAC and the file permissions system work seems slightly different so I'm having to 'run as admin' a lot more often than before even with UAC disabled.

Fun but totally not worth buying if you're already on 7, unless you have the cash to spare of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #4277
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,669 Posts
    This is the closest you can get, as far as I know: http://www.askvg.com/download-classi...-in-windows-8/
    Speaking of start menus, Start 8 recently updated bringing back the 7 start menu (properly):

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #4278
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,956 Posts
    Link?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #4279
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,669 Posts
    First result when searching Start8: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #4280
    asshat
    August 2006
    3,394 Posts
    Any advantage over my current favorite of Classic Shell?
    It's fast and open-source...

Just tried it. Not nearly as good. In Classic Shell you can drag things into the start menu like always.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)