1. Post #7041
    September 2010
    1,113 Posts
    I really like a lot of sets in the Workshop. A LOT of them. But at this point, I'd really just prefer Valve cherry-pick the very finest weapons and add those into the game. Now that they've (thank GOD) learned not to use set bonuses, there's no reason to add a half-assed weapon just for the sake of adding it.

It makes so much more sense to pick a weapon they really like the look of, and come up with really interesting, game-changing stats for it and it alone. None of this "We'll split an idea into three parts because there are three pieces in this collection." Spend the time and make sure the one featured weapon works nicely with all previous unlocks and release it. There's no problem with the current sets, but if they picked and chose specific weapons, I wonder if the process wouldn't allow them to think up really cool, unique stats. Kinda like the old Valve-made unlocks. Plus, this might be conducive to actually featuring more weapons in place of the weekly cosmetic, at least from time to time.

But, above all, just RELEASE SOMETHING ALREADY. Yeesh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #7042
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    7,439 Posts
    Guys, I don't think the next update is going to be Pyro-related:

mvm means "Man vs Maggots"

It's going to be another Soldier update to give him even more items
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

3. Post #7043
    The Great Thief and defense attorney's assistant's assistant
    January 2012
    3,671 Posts
    Meet the Soldier 2: Electric Boogaloo confirmed.

Also, I don't know if this was talked about back in February but the mention of "Mayan blood tornadoes" is kind of weird. It's just so... random. Almost like they're trying to say something.

Probably that the Saxxies will be held on the 21st of December.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #7044
    QUACK MASTER
    July 2011
    1,839 Posts
    http://9gag.com/gag/4103446

dafuq, so many tf2 fans
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Late Late x 3 (list)

5. Post #7045
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,734 Posts

dafuq, so many tf2 fans
    Nice speculation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #7046
    im gay
    July 2007
    3,452 Posts
    Guys, I don't think the next update is going to be Pyro-related:

mvm means "Man vs Maggots"

It's going to be another Soldier update to give him even more items
    oh my god, it all makes sense now

Incoming cross promo with Worms Revolution, pre-order now and unlock a misc item for the Heavy, Engineer, Soldier and Scout that turns them into worms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7047
    Ginger gizzard amateur~
    July 2011
    4,917 Posts

dafuq, so many tf2 fans
    And this is relevant because?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #7048
    QUACK MASTER
    July 2011
    1,839 Posts
    And this is relevant because?
    because he is a man and mvm, duh so obvious omg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

9. Post #7049
    Ginger gizzard amateur~
    July 2011
    4,917 Posts
    because he is a man and mvm, duh so obvious omg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Turkey Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #7050
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,707 Posts
    Portal 2 is updating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #7051
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,974 Posts
    Portal 2 is updating.
    I honestly doubt that a P2 update would come out the same day as a tf2 update, servers wouldn't be able to handle it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #7052
    I'LL SUCK DICK FOR SELF-MADES
    July 2011
    9,610 Posts
    Woo, portal 2 workshop!

Edited:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/b...esort=toprated
    Fancy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

13. Post #7053
    July 2011
    662 Posts
    ...aaaand it's down already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

14. Post #7054
    April 2011
    883 Posts
    ...aaaand it's down already.

Guess what this is.

The Steam Server   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #7055
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,505 Posts
    Hey guys, a friend of mine is going to school for video game art stuff and very recently his class got a tour of the Valve Studio.

He's not being very forthcoming with details, but he's confirmed that this theory is legit, and he's hinted that Saxton Hale himself will be present in this new mode.
    From da spuf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #7056
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,596 Posts
    ROBOT SAXTON HALE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #7057
    The Great Thief and defense attorney's assistant's assistant
    January 2012
    3,671 Posts
    1000% LEGIT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #7058
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,505 Posts
    1000% LEGIT
    Lol just saying. I didn't say it's real. I don't really believe it. I didn't see anything like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

19. Post #7059
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,061 Posts
    From da spuf
    Why does USA get Video Game Design schools, but we don't....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #7060
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    5,051 Posts
    Don't worry, it's a trade off for our inane justice system and overcrowded prison institutions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #7061
    December 2011
    120 Posts
    I hope that tf2 get same map making update as Portal 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #7062
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    Why does USA get Video Game Design schools, but we don't....
    They're not really that special, super expensive for a limited education whereas plenty of regular universities have 3d animation programs, or programming programs, or whatever it is you want to do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brunei Darussalam Show Events

23. Post #7063
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    6,298 Posts
    From da spuf

I will believe it until proven false because damn it all I want this update to be the best that it can
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #7064
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,061 Posts
    They're not really that special, super expensive for a limited education whereas plenty of regular universities have 3d animation programs, or programming programs, or whatever it is you want to do
    Eh.... Game designers don't do 3d animations or programming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #7065
    k2.
    July 2011
    1,543 Posts

Guess what this is.

The Steam Server   
    they really need to put some of that sweet steam/tf2 money towards buying more servers or upgrading them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #7066
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    Eh.... Game designers don't do 3d animations or programming.
    When people say "game design school" they mean game development. That's what they teach. And, to be frank, you need to be fairly knowledgeable in most aspects of game development if you ever want to be a designer. It's not a professional ideas guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brunei Darussalam Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #7067
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,061 Posts
    When people say "game design school" they mean game development. That's what they teach. And, to be frank, you need to be fairly knowledgeable in most aspects of game development if you ever want to be a designer.
    Eh... as far as I know you don't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #7068

29. Post #7069
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,061 Posts
    That's weird, the best and most known and respected Czech game designer personally told me that you only need to be able to write decent stories and characters and you need to be able to drew sketches
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

30. Post #7070
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,784 Posts
    the fact is there's three common terms

game developer: does the most coding
    game artist: modelling, assets, etc
    game designer: UI, overall game, etc.

a game designer without being able to code or model just sounds like a ideas guy though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #7071
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    That's weird, the best and most known and respected Czech game designer personally told me that you only need to be able to write decent stories and characters and you need to be able to drew sketches
    Well there are a few different aspects of game design, and different studios do things differently. Sounds like he's more of a writer. These degrees are designed to prepare you for all of them.

32. Post #7072
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,061 Posts
    Well there are a few different aspects of game design, and different studios do things differently. Sounds like he's more of a writer. These degrees are designed to prepare you for all of them.
    Makes sense. As far as I know Czech game developing companies have this weird policy that only one (max. 2) guy works on a one thing
    Like there is only one guy working on car models and textures etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events

33. Post #7073
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    Well in that kind of system I can see being able to get in with a vary narrow scope of knowledge. But then on the polar opposite side of the spectrum you have Valve, where anyone can work on anything they want. Most companies will be in the middle of that.

34. Post #7074
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,061 Posts
    Well in that kind of system I can see being able to get in with a vary narrow scope of knowledge. But then on the polar opposite side of the spectrum you have Valve, where anyone can work on anything they want. Most companies will be in the middle of that.
    Thanks for the info, it might help me in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events

35. Post #7075
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    21,610 Posts
    I'd be alright with a professionally done VS Saxton Hale mode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

36. Post #7076
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,974 Posts
    I'd be alright with a professionally done VS Saxton Hale mode.
    "Professionally done" meaning "making a new Saxton Hale model based heavily on the mod version and releasing that as the mode full of bugs and with zero balancing like the mod has."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

37. Post #7077
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    They have a Saxton Hale mode already.

38. Post #7078
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    17,817 Posts
    if you for a second are considering a game design degree...

don't at all. It's too limiting and isn't required at all to get into the field. Go with Software Engineering, Computer Science or some sort of New Media or 3D Modeling. That way if you can't get a job in the gaming field, you can at least get a "real" job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #7079
    September 2010
    1,113 Posts
    This makes me wonder: if there really is a new game mode incoming, how much work will Valve put into the little things, like specialized voice lines for the classes? This is sometimes my favorite part of any major update-- a chance at getting new lines to hear.

It seems like they either really love or find it easiest to bring in the voice actors for the Announcer, the Soldier, the Scout, and the Spy. It seemed like such a huge deal when they brought Grant Goodeve back for the Engie Update, and they didn't even bother with Robin Atkin Downes and the Medic (yes, I'm still very VERY bitter).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #7080
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    17,817 Posts
    HEY THAT'S NOT FAIR

the P2 DLC is 816mb, 300mb more than TF2 is allowed >:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)