August 2005
    6,155 Posts
    I wonder what Answers in Genesis has to say about this
    Genesis 22:37 First verse

1. I'm a shark
    2. I'm a shark
    3. Suck my dick
    4. I'm a shark
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Starred Starred x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    154 Posts
    What kind of shark isn't badass

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,475 Posts
    Can't wait until it grows limbs and starts walking on land.

500 years later

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Starred Starred x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    19,079 Posts
    Okay.

Australian Black Tip (Carcharhinus tilstoni)

(to be honest, I'm not even sure if this is a true Aussie black tip because they are virtually identical)
    Black Tip Shark (Carcharhinus limbatus)

It's an interspecific hybridization between two species, similar in appearance, with overlapping habitats.

Using both genetic testing and body measurements, 57 hybrid animals were identified from five locations, spanning 2000km from northern NSW to far northern Queensland. Although closely related, the two species grow to different maximum sizes and are genetically distinct.

Dr Jennifer Ovenden, an expert in genetics of fisheries species and a member of the scientific team said this was the first discovery of sharks hybridizing and it flagged a warning that other closely related shark and ray species around the world may be doing the same thing.
    Those are basically 57 members to a new species of Carcharhinus if scientists can successfully track their health and growth.

I feel like adding this because it's a blacktip shark he's petting:
    TL;DR Sharks are Fucking awesone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,475 Posts
    TL;DR Sharks are Fucking awesone.
    Another reason why we shouldn't eat em
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #46
    July 2010
    564 Posts
    I apologize in advance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    Herpetologist
    June 2010
    2,410 Posts
    Forgive me if I am wrong but these to types of black fin would be classified as subspecies if they can interbreed and produce fertile offspring, it is not rare for subspecies to do this and example would be three toed and four toed eastern box turtles.

So is this hybrid Fertile? If so it means there needs to be a re-classification, if not this is not as big of an evolutionary step as they claim because post zygotic isolation would prevent further evolution within the hybrid population.

8. Post #48
    OvB
    March 2007
    19,079 Posts
    Another reason why we shouldn't eat em
    European Union (worlds biggest supplier) planning on banning at sea finning, which allows fishermen to cut the fins off the sharks at sea, and stuff their cargo holds full of just fins. If that law passes they'll have to land the shark carcasses with the fins attached, meaning they won't be able to kill as many. Two of Singapore's biggest markets have stopped selling shark fin, and as far as I know, 4 US states(Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, and California) have made it Illegal and some Canadian cities are playing around with the idea. People have pretty much said "yeah this is a pretty stupid tradition" and stopped doing it, except for the older, more traditional generations of people but they'll die soon so whatever.

Edited:

Forgive me if I am wrong but these to types of black fin would be classified as subspecies if they can interbreed and produce fertile offspring, it is not rare for subspecies to do this and example would be three toed and four toed eastern box turtles.

So is this hybrid Fertile? If so it means there needs to be a re-classification, if not this is not as big of an evolutionary step as they claim because post zygotic isolation would prevent further evolution within the hybrid population.
    With shark research as lacking as it is, I honestly don't know if these things are fertile or not. We'll have to wait and see as they are now pressing the research into them deeper. Though genetic testing proves that the sharks are separate species of the same genus. Australian Black Tip being Carcharhinus tilstoni, and the common Black Tip being Carcharhinus limbatus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Title Attrition Belligerent

November 2009
    1,961 Posts
    So is this hybrid Fertile?
    this seems to be the big question right now, we'd have to wait and see.

however certain hybrids in other groups do end up being fertile. there's no reason the sharks couldn't be as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    5,408 Posts
    Should have evolved white stripes down the side of they're bodies, everyone know's white stripes make you go faster.

11. Post #51
    December 2009
    1,315 Posts
    It begins.

12. Post #52
    OvB
    March 2007
    19,079 Posts
    this seems to be the big question right now, we'd have to wait and see.
    It all depends if they have the same number of chromosomes or not.

Edited:

Genesis 22:37 First verse

1. I'm a shark
    2. I'm a shark
    3. Suck my dick
    4. I'm a shark
    Claspers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    1,303 Posts
    So how far away from Hybrid bearshark?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,803 Posts
    The eyes

The eyes

Edited:

What program is this?

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2011
    27,335 Posts
    The eyes

The eyes

Edited:

What program is this?
    Impossible creatures I think
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,654 Posts
    Impossible creatures I think
    I always wanted to play that game. :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    1,303 Posts
    buy it, it's amazing

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    2,603 Posts
    I still have a retail copy of it somewhere

19. Post #59
    Dennab
    October 2010
    15,211 Posts
    It doesn't really have much to do with religion, because evolution can be compatible with religion.
    And that's because evolution has nothing to do with religion.

20. Post #60
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,095 Posts
    Can't wait until it grows limbs and starts walking on land.
    next stop:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,708 Posts

It begins...

22. Post #62
    "OH FUCK, SHARKS"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,159 Posts
    That's pretty awesome.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,260 Posts
    This is the point where they still refuse to see the evidence and say that microevolution doesn't make macroevolution true.

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,973 Posts
    This is cool, but I still don't understand how this is evolution. Is it because they swim in different temperatures and locales?

Edited:

Are we assuming adaptation = evolution?

26. Post #66
    July 2010
    6,115 Posts
    This is cool, but I still don't understand how this is evolution. Is it because they swim in different temperatures and locales?

Edited:

Are we assuming adaptation = evolution?
    They are mutating (the basis of evolution) based on climate. Not really, actually; they're mating to produce animals that can live in that climate, but I'm not sure what to call that.

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,973 Posts
    They are mutating (the basis of evolution) based on climate. Not really, actually; they're mating to produce animals that can live in that climate, but I'm not sure what to call that.
    Right. I wouldn't call this simple adaptation, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as evolution. Sharks are sharks are sharks, at least so far.

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    670 Posts
    Right. I wouldn't call this simple adaptation, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as evolution. Sharks are sharks are sharks, at least so far.
    Depends on who you're asking whether or not it qualifies as evolution. Evolution can range from everything to two cats having slightly different ears to a fish becoming a mammal.

29. Post #69
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,804 Posts
    Australia better make sure they're safe before the Japanese start harpooning them :ohdear:

30. Post #70
    February 2011
    201 Posts
    SOON...THEY WILL FLY!