1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,529 Posts
    Fox News posted:
    NORCROSS, Ga. Angry parents called for an apology after a Georgia elementary school set a math assignment that used questions about slavery and beatings, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Parents of third grade students at Beaver Ridge Elementary School, Norcross, were outraged after their children brought home a math worksheet featuring questions such as "Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"

They were also asked, "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"

Christopher Braxton, whose eight-year-old son was given the worksheet, told WSB-TV he was "furious" when he read the homework.

"Something like this shouldn't be imbedded into a kid of the third, fourth, fifth, any grade," another parent, Terrance Barnett, added. "I'm having to explain to my eight year old why slavery or slaves or beatings are in a math problem. That hurts."

School district officials said teachers who wrote the paper were not trying to offend anyone but were just trying to incorporate history into the math lesson.

"Clearly, they did not do as good of a job as they should have done," district spokeswoman Sloan Roach told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "It was just a poorly written question."

Beaver Ridge's principal Jose DeJesus promised to offer more training for staff and help teachers come up with more appropriate questions.

But parents said the school has not gone far enough and are calling for an apology and diversity training for teachers and officials.

"I think the teachers should be reprimanded for using that poor judgment, and an apology should be made," community activist Jennifer Falk said. "But the bigger question is how could something like this happen?"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/08...#ixzz1ivS4NftM
    They were also asked, "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"
    Oh Georgia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 148Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Starred Starred x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    8,573 Posts
    How did they even come up with this shit?

I'd be pissed if my child's assignments had questions like these.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 63Disagree Disagree x 10 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,233 Posts
    14. He got 14 beatings. And he took them like a man...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 119Agree x 2Informative x 1Starred x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2010
    3,159 Posts
    What would have really shocked me is if it was complex math, but unsurprisingly it's elementary.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,019 Posts
    Jesus Christ, I thought Georgia couldnt make the rest of the south look metropolitan in comparison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2009
    759 Posts
    What the actual fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

7. Post #7
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    39,999 Posts
    just imagine being black in Georgia...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,044 Posts
    "Hmm... we need to get kids learning more about history... why don't we involve history in math problems?"
    "Perfect! I'll get right on it."
    Later...
    1. Hitler wants to kill all of the Jews. Which of the following methods would kill 6 million people the fastest?
    - - - -
    2. There were lots of gay orgies in ancient Rome. How many dicks could Caesar fit in his body, if the average ancient Roman dick was 2 inches thick? Here's a list of the holes in the human body and how wide they are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 54Agree Agree x 5Starred Starred x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,175 Posts
    Imagine not being black in Georgia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 47Agree Agree x 3Starred Starred x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2009
    759 Posts
    "Hmm... we need to get kids learning more about history... why don't we involve history in math problems?"
    "Perfect! I'll get right on it."
    Later...
    1. Hitler wants to kill all of the Jews. Which of the following methods would kill 6 million people the fastest?
    - - - -
    2. There were lots of gay orgies in ancient Rome. How many dicks could Caesar fit in his body, if the average ancient Roman dick was 2 inches thick? Here's a list of the holes in the human body and how wide they are.
    More like:

"Homosexuality is spreading at an exponential rate modeled by the equation ___. How long until the entire state of Georgia is doomed?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 25Starred Starred x 1 (list)

11. Post #11

August 2011
    715 Posts
    The South, why do you do stupid stuff like this so the rest of the world whom isn't smart enough to realize the U.S isn't all uniform thinks we are as dumb as you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

12. Post #12
    January 2012
    1 Posts
    If georgia corrupted third graders with racism, how many black people would die a week?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,875 Posts
    its the exact same thing as being white except no one respects you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Starred Starred x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,182 Posts
    If Roger didn't work for the white man for 2 days, how much beating would he receive?

None, he was executed for not following standard procedure

this was a joke btw   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2010
    291 Posts
    its the exact same thing as being white except no one respects you
    That doesn't sound exactly the same..

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    621 Posts
    Yeah, we're kind of the best state in the south-east.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,862 Posts
    Ah home; I so miss Georgia and it's controversial antics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,057 Posts
    Third grade students? Seriously? That's fucked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    8,172 Posts
    Uhh... there's a hell of a lot of math problems they could have come up with, and that's what they go with?

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2011
    27,335 Posts
    Wasn't nazi germany doing that as well ?

Making math problems like this one except the kid had to calculate how much money the state was wasting in helping mentally or physically disabled people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    God damn, even more so because it's for 3rd graders.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    13,525 Posts
    If the slaves rise up in revolt, how many white slave owners do they kill before they gain their freedom?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Starred Starred x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    December 2009
    308 Posts
    The South, why do you do stupid stuff like this so the rest of the world whom isn't smart enough to realize the U.S isn't all uniform thinks we are as dumb as you!
    One hell of a massive brain fart you had there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,259 Posts
    I thought it was something like "find all roots for this 34'th degree polynomial"

25. Post #25
    FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SHITPOST IN POLIDICKS
    February 2007
    33,182 Posts
    So it was dumb teachers who made a test.
    Why are we dumping on the entire state these people were from?

Edited:

Not reading the OP should be bannable in Sensationalist Headlines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Late Late x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    July 2009
    1,179 Posts
    We tried some Russian book in class once, there were math problems relating to two kids throwing bricks at each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 10Starred Starred x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,595 Posts
    "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"
    Not enough, if that's what you're asking.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    5,323 Posts
    We tried some Russian book in class once, there were math problems relating to two kids throwing bricks at each other.
    Until you said math problems I thought a class was finally reading Dostoevsky. Got my hopes up for nothing. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,023 Posts
    That's great, I want a copy.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,882 Posts
    14. He got 14 beatings.

HA HA HA HA HA
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 26Starred Starred x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    I make sexist and racist jokes all the time yet,i still support the feminist movement and the rights of blacks.
    July 2010
    3,568 Posts
    Filthy fascist liberal Nazi Communist godless Satanistic atheist,how dare you expose such blasphemous thoughts to our children?!

More like:

"Homosexuality is spreading at an exponential rate modeled by the equation ___. How long until the entire state of Georgia is doomed?"
    Very interesting mathematical problem.
    But do not worry my brother,soon we shall kill all these abominations before they infest our god loving state!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,231 Posts
    Damnit Frederick get your shit together!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,098 Posts
    I thought it said "Georgia Students Given Salary Based Math Problems", and i thought "wow, thats pretty cool and progressive, since those students will need that alot in the future."

I should of gotten the hint where it said "Georgia"...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Elijah has 20 slaves. How many votes does he have?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts
    America gets rid of Georgia for being a shitty state
    How many states does America have
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    9,907 Posts
    49 whippings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    11,144 Posts
    Shit I heard about this the other day. -sigh- The state I live in...

Edited:

Pfft well a howdy-do-fuck-you to you too.

Edited:

Elijah has 20 slaves. How many votes does he have?
    13, counting himself.

38. Post #38
    quality poster
    August 2009
    12,066 Posts
    What would have really shocked me is if it was complex math, but unsurprisingly it's elementary.
    it was being taught in an elementary school

were you learning calculus in 3rd grade? no?

i can't believe the school is actually trying to defend this
    there's literally no fucking reason for this to be on a test

39. Post #39
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    4,689 Posts
    I feel as if the entire state of georgia is making a cooperative effort to troll the rest of the states
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,093 Posts
    it's not so bad in atlanta and the metro atlanta area