1. Post #81
    Gold Member

November 2011
    3,315 Posts
    That doesn't make it any less wasteful. And you'd surely get similar gratification from an electric motorcycle as you would a traditional one. The only difference being superior performance on the part of the electric and a better ride overall.
    I think I'd enjoy driving an electric car if it performed similarly to a car with an ICE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,017 Posts
    I think I'd enjoy driving an electric car if it performed similarly to a car with an ICE.
    Go back and read GunFox's posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,607 Posts
    nah that's not the same
    unless you had an engine vibrator that simulated engine revolutions and it just gets a bit complex

for me, the sound of the engine turning over when you start it is beautiful and reminds me of my father

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #84
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,652 Posts
    It goes down to preference. I like working on fuel engines. But being a massive CSE nerd I'd also get a kick out of working on an electric engine. I think if they can make hybrid electric and hydrogen engines, it'd be a perfect mix of a fuel engine and electrical sustainability.

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,607 Posts
    It goes down to preference. I like working on fuel engines. But being a massive CSE nerd I'd also get a kick out of working on an electric engine. I think if they can make hybrid electric and hydrogen engines, it'd be a perfect mix of a fuel engine and electrical sustainability.
    uh
    what

6. Post #86
    CK5
    July 2005
    26 Posts
    lol do you seriously think you'll get all the gasoline when everyone else switches to an electric car?
    You assume that everyone will switch to an electric car. However I have a feeling that so long as there is oil left, there will be a lot of people who prefer ICE vehicles, and do you honestly think that all the oil companies will suddenly say "Hey guys, lets abandon all those refineries we have spent billions on over the past 100 years, cause electric cars are better!". I doubt that, more likely is that even after the electric car becomes popular, there will be a large group of people all over the world who will not switch to them. And there will be companies that will still drill for and refine the oil so that they can continue to drive there vehicles.

However if lets say only 10% of the world still drives ICE cars, well than, the rate of oil consumption will go down drastically, and therefore it will last longer. And even if for some random reason everybody decides they want to go to electric, then I will just convert my car to diesel and run bio-fuel. Simple as that.

I still fail to see why people have to try and tell others why there wrong, when its a matter of personal choice. Besides, if its not broken don't fix it. And as far as I am concerned the engine in my car works fine. And when it goes bad I will rebuild it for less than the cost of a new car, electric or not. And I will continue to do that, because I want to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,607 Posts
    Why would you bother with a hydrogen fueled internal combustion engine, considering the massive cost of rolling out hydrogen infrastructure.
    Unless you meant fuel cell tech, in which case there would only be one engine, which would be electric.

Edited:

if its not broken don't fix it.
    a phrase which has propelled humanity very far
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    Gold Member

November 2011
    3,315 Posts
    You assume that everyone will switch to an electric car. However I have a feeling that so long as there is oil left, there will be a lot of people who prefer ICE vehicles, and do you honestly think that all the oil companies will suddenly say "Hey guys, lets abandon all those refineries we have spent billions on over the past 100 years, cause electric cars are better!". I doubt that, more likely is that even after the electric car becomes popular, there will be a large group of people all over the world who will not switch to them. And there will be companies that will still drill for and refine the oil so that they can continue to drive there vehicles.

However if lets say only 10% of the world still drives ICE cars, well than, the rate of oil consumption will go down drastically, and therefore it will last longer. And even if for some random reason everybody decides they want to go to electric, then I will just convert my car to diesel and run bio-fuel. Simple as that.

I still fail to see why people have to try and tell others why there wrong, when its a matter of personal choice. Besides, if its not broken don't fix it. And as far as I am concerned the engine in my car works fine. And when it goes bad I will rebuild it for less than the cost of a new car, electric or not. And I will continue to do that, because I want to.
    i thought you assumed that

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,210 Posts
    I like my air pollution, i love noise pollution, I love inefficiency, I love the wasted energy, the experience.
    That's- But- What? Vehicles are tools to get from point A to B...
    To you perhaps, to me vehicles are much more than tools. I'm gonna let Jeremy Clarkson back me up here, since i don't know how to word it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,654 Posts
    Just wait until the Gas Companies run out of gas.
    And we will have who to blame for blocking all these breakthroughs.

11. Post #91
    "You should see my penis, it puts a wookie to shame. its like a fucking front tail."
    January 2010
    2,122 Posts
    *disclaimer I am not an oil company spokesman*
    Has it been mentioned about the environmental pollutants Lithium batteries and most electric batteries produce in the manufacturing stage/mining stages? Lithium is extracted using some very nasty chemicals that are considerably dangerous to people and surrounding environments. Furthermore the chemicals used to produce these chemicals that are used to mine lithium are also quite dangerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_chloride - This can be quite nasty, also read on the means of production.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_chloride - Not as dangerous though

Also it is very important to note the amount of lithium reserves in the world. The amount of lithium used in batteries, and the amount of cars in total that can be produced based off the remaining lithium preserves. And then you have a variety of other disadvantages, like total charging times, overcharging/overheating. Which can all be problematic. One of the largest disadvantages would be self-discharge which lowers the overall capacity of the battery which would not be good, this also affects lifespan significantly.

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pu...odity/lithium/
    http://www.meridian-int-res.com/Proj...er_Battery.pdf
    http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS...1203-01-e.html

Now I dislike lithium battery powered cars for a variety of reasons, and what I have mentioned are some of them, I do admit that the Lithium-Air battery is very fascinating and probably will quell my dislike of lithium battery cars. Though I am more optimistic about ZEBRA batteries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molten_salt_battery Which I find to be significantly nicer as it can negate self-discharge allowing near indefinite storage of these batteries for over 3-4 decades I think.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/specifications/comparisons.pdf

These would all be good for cars to be manufactured, but then you have the problem with the existing amount of cars and the existing infrastructure built specifically for gasoline/petrol there is a logical alternative to the use of gasoline/petrol that being http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel which you would produce from algae preferably, and there is plenty of landmass in the United States to do this for ourselves, look at Nevada or Death Valley massive flat stretches of relatively uninhabited lands. And if you do this, this can significantly lower plastic production costs which are fairly high. And it would give oil companies a chance to use these forms of fuels if they're proven to be non-corrupt in this probably transition. But I don't have my money on that.

On the subject of Biodiesel and the existing amount of internal combustion cars, I think the use of Biodiesel is the most economical and thereby logical step to proceed with, and the conversion factor of Gasoline/Diesel cars to the use of Biodiesel for those not already capable of it would seem to be relatively low compared to the massive innovation/mining increase needed for electric cars. *Note I do support the electric cars I'm viewing this from what I see to be logical*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algaculture
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algal_fuel
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...er=title=Algae

*EDIT* If I'm wrong on some of the subjects I've mentioned I would love to be corrected, just be formal about it.

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,372 Posts
    To you perhaps, to me vehicles are much more than tools. I'm gonna let Jeremy Clarkson back me up here, since i don't know how to word it.

Pretty much exactly this, I'm not saying I don't want electric cars to succeed, or that I will never switch over to electric. I just love ICE cars, and non-gearheads will never understand that, so instead we get rated dumb and get told we are the bane of human existence. When Electric cars come out and cost $40k lets see how many of you guys go out and buy one, I can guarantee that most of us won't be able to afford it and ICE cars will probably be fairly prominent in the car market for the next 25 years.

ITT: no fun allowed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #93
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,017 Posts
    Actually, in the next decade you are going to see a massive decline to the availability of ICE cars. In 15 to 20 years, they will almost certainly be the minority compared to alternative energy vehicles. In 25 years, they'll be minimal at best.

Edited:

And I'm sure there are plenty of gear-heads who are actively excited about and want electric cars.

Also, the cost of electric cars is going to drop more as the technology continues to get better, cheaper, and more available.

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,372 Posts
    Actually, in the next decade you are going to see a massive decline to the availability of ICE cars. In 15 to 20 years, they will almost certainly be the minority compared to alternative energy vehicles. In 25 years, they'll be minimal at best.

Edited:

And I'm sure there are plenty of gear-heads who are actively excited about and want electric cars.

Also, the cost of electric cars is going to drop more as the technology continues to get better, cheaper, and more available.
    That would be great, and like I said on the last page I would LOVE a really fast electric car, but I just don't see it coming in and sweeping ICE away in that short of a time period. Maybe alternative energy overall will rule out petroleum based cars, but unless electric can come in, be fast, cheap and efficient I think its going to take a long time to get a total switch over from ICE cars.

15. Post #95
    May 2005
    8,596 Posts
    I think the main problem with electric cars is charge time. That's what keeps many people from readily adopting it is because they take so long to charge in comparison to refueling an internal combustion engine. Its a matter of a few minutes to several hours for a complete refill.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_875996.html

"Cambridge crude" is at a pretty advanced stage of testing.

Basically it is a liquid battery. At home you can still plug your car in and charge the battery like normal, but if you are on the road you can pump out the old stuff and pump in the new stuff at a gas station. The gas station then recharges the discharged slurry and serves it to the next person.

Not only does that remove the charge time issues, but it is a relatively simple upgrade to gas stations (not like hydrogen storage) and drastically reduces the amount of fuel that needs to be expended shifting fuel around.

Edited:

Hybrids annoy me.

Take an under powered combustion engine and combine it with a miniature electric motor. Carry both batteries and fuel. You have not only added an extra engine (and thereby point of failure), but you have miniaturized the existing engine and increased the complexity of maintenance and reduced the expected lifespan of the engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,865 Posts
    I'm not a gearhead, but the sound of an ICE can be very nice, the mechanics behind it are interestig too, but electrical (and other alternate) energy cars are the future, and are rapidly increasing in efficiency, even in their current state they are probably more efficient than a ICE, there is only so much you can do to that kind of reaction to get as much useful energy out of it as possible. And anything more than that would probably require alternate energy of some sort, or technology of some form to control the engine more (auto-off when stopped, etc).

We could always simulate the feeling of a old engine

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,042 Posts
    That doesn't make it any less wasteful. And you'd surely get similar gratification from an electric motorcycle as you would a traditional one. The only difference being superior performance on the part of the electric and a better ride overall.
    I think I see your point, man.
    Alright people, listen up! No more fairs or carnivals, tremendous waste of electricity. No more TV shows that aren't news/educational either, waste of money and energy. No more overly huge meals either, massive waste of food.
    Entertainment in itself is a waste, but there's a need for entertainment in our lives, and it just so happens that different people are entertained by different things. While I don't understand it myself, I do know a few who like the sound of an ICE and even enjoy working on them. I suppose I can see how one could get a sense of accomplishment in keeping one of those running purely out of your own understanding of it, and what I CAN relate to is that tinkering is fun.

Edited:

Just wait until the Gas Companies run out of gas.
    And we will have who to blame for blocking all these breakthroughs.
    They're the ones who buy up all the patents, so when gas runs out, here's what will happen.
    "Hey, fella! Looking for some gas? Sorry, fresh out, but tell ya what: Take a look at this here new innovation! Sell it to ya, if ya like!"

18. Post #98
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,017 Posts
    I think I see your point, man.
    Alright people, listen up! No more fairs or carnivals, tremendous waste of electricity. No more TV shows that aren't news/educational either, waste of money and energy. No more overly huge meals either, massive waste of food.
    That is the biggest case of a straw-man and hyperbole ever I think.
    Entertainment in itself is a waste, but there's a need for entertainment in our lives, and it just so happens that different people are entertained by different things. While I don't understand it myself, I do know a few who like the sound of an ICE and even enjoy working on them. I suppose I can see how one could get a sense of accomplishment in keeping one of those running purely out of your own understanding of it, and what I CAN relate to is that tinkering is fun.
    Yeah, entertainment is great and all, thats why we make things specifically for entertainment like carnivals, movies, TV Shows and the lot. My complaint is that you're taking something specifically designed to go from Point A to Point B, and then instead of doing that, basically just driving around aimlessly for a bit, putting unnecessary wear on the vehicle and generating incredible amounts of pollution for gratification that could easily be found elsewhere and would be better off if found elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

19. Post #99
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts
    I don't know what point your trying to make here. Leaded gasoline, IMHO, is and was better than unleaded. However that's not a valid comparison, since leaded gasoline and unleaded gasoline both power internal combustion engines. Your talking about a switch to an entirely different type of engine. But, at present, there is absolutely no reason for me to spend my hard earned money on an electric vehicle when my gasoline one works perfectly. And I don't see that changing. Maybe, when I can pick up a nice used electric car for under 10 grand, like I can with gasoline cars, then I would consider using it for commuting. But as far as I am concerned in terms of a driving experience, ICE vehicles are much nicer.

I still fail to see why it concerns you such that some people might not agree with you. Go get an electric car if you want, I am simply stating that I will not get an electric car, atleast not any of the ones I have seen that are either in current production, or future designs.
    Yeah I'm talking the switch to an engine with so much potential torque it needs to be purposely limited as to not break the axles, an engine that will start just as well in -40C as it does in 40C, and an engine that isn't continuing to use my money every time I'm stopped at a red light

But it doesn't sound as nice, my god what a terrible piece of shit

Electric engines are mechanical marvels compared to the clunky and inefficient internal combustion engines
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    CK5
    July 2005
    26 Posts
    i thought you assumed that
    Actually, I did not. I assume that a good amount of people will not switch. It was the pro electric people in this thread who said that electric cars are the future and that everybody will switch to electric cars. I am not disputing the fact that electric cars are the future, I am merely saying that, atleast until we run out of fossil fuels, the ICE car will NOT go away. There will always be people who for either lack of money or because they simply prefer IC. I would also suspect that many poorer countries simply will not have the money to switch to electric cars. No matter how cheap they get, they will still be more expensive than simply sticking to what you have.

However, I have said it once before and will say it again. When I can get an electric car that has a reasonable range, for a reasonable price, I would be happy to get one for my daily commute. I will still be keeping my gasoline or diesel vehicles for the fact that I much prefer it, for many reasons. I suspect that there will be a lot of people like me out there, and for that reason oil companies will continue to drill for and refine the stuff.

Also, I don't understand really what the argument here is. We agree that electric cars are a better means of getting from A to B. I do not dispute that. However there are those people who like to enjoy a vehicle as more than just a means of transport. And sure, some people will find an electric car a ton of fun. But myself, when I put my foot down I don't want to hear the hum of an electric motor. I want to hear the roar of engine.

Edit:
    Yeah I'm talking the switch to an engine with so much potential torque it needs to be purposely limited as to not break the axles, an engine that will start just as well in -40C as it does in 40C, and an engine that isn't continuing to use my money every time I'm stopped at a red light

But it doesn't sound as nice, my god what a terrible piece of shit

Electric engines are mechanical marvels compared to the clunky and inefficient internal combustion engines
    I see, so it sounds like you like electric cars. That's fine. Personally I don't really care if my engine can break my axles, nor if it wastes a few cents here and there at stop lights. I am also never going to be driving in -40C temperatures, so really thats of no concern to me. Btw, batteries don't work as well in the cold, either. Electric engines were marvels 100+ years ago when they were first designed, they really haven't changed all that much. Internal combustion engines are inefficient yes, but that does not really bother me. I like them better, for reasons I have stated many times. It's an opinion, why are you arguing against an opinion? Not once did I say "doesn't sound as nice, my god what a terrible piece of shit", all I said was I would rather not have one myself, unless it was cheap enough that I could use it as a second car. I think a lot of you are missing the whole point of what those of us who prefer ICE cars are saying.

21. Post #101
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts
    But myself, when I put my foot down I don't want to hear the hum of an electric motor. I want to hear the roar of engine.
    You sound like a toddler who refuses to play with the blue ball because they prefer the green ball, even though the green ball has feces on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,865 Posts
    No matter how cheap they get, they will still be more expensive than simply sticking to what you have.
    Incorrect. As we use fossil fuels the price will constantly go up. And just because there will be less demand on the market for petrol and diesel does not mean the oil companies will drop the price. If they need to, they can create artificial scarcity (they probably will too), which may allow the reserves they have to last, but it means the prices will skyrocket.

Only the rich and wasteful will still be using petrol and diesel by the point electrical cars are the mainstream. If people still want to use a ICE, they would need to find an alternate fuel (like Hydrogen if it were safe enough by that point), because oil is not going to be price efficient any time soon it seems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    CK5
    July 2005
    26 Posts
    You sound like a toddler who refuses to play with the blue ball because they prefer the green ball, even though the green ball has feces on it
    And you sound like a close minded fool, to get so insulting simply because I don't agree with your opinion.

Edit:
    Incorrect. As we use fossil fuels the price will constantly go up. And just because there will be less demand on the market for petrol and diesel does not mean the oil companies will drop the price. If they need to, they can create artificial scarcity (they probably will too), which may allow the reserves they have to last, but it means the prices will skyrocket.

Only the rich and wasteful will still be using petrol and diesel by the point electrical cars are the mainstream. If people still want to use a ICE, they would need to find an alternate fuel (like Hydrogen if it were safe enough by that point), because oil is not going to be price efficient any time soon it seems.
    Well in that case I would probably switch to biodiesel. Besides even if gasoline were to become tremendously expensive, I would probably be driving an electric car for my commute by that time. I just would like to keep my ICE car to enjoy taking out for a drive every so often.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,372 Posts
    You know, by insulting people and ignoring the rest of their posts you really aren't going to convince people to follow your views.

That post was completely uncalled for.

25. Post #105
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts
    And you sound like a close minded fool
    you're the one refusing to use a new technology because it makes a different noise

Edited:

You know, by insulting people and ignoring the rest of their posts you really aren't going to convince people to follow your views.

That post was completely uncalled for.
    so write a letter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    CK5
    July 2005
    26 Posts
    you're the one refusing to use a new technology because it makes a different noise
    Actually, your a moron, since apparently you don't know how to read. If you did actually know how to read, you would have seen that I have said multiple times I would be find using an electric car to commute with. But for the driving experience I would rather have an ICE vehicle. Stop being a little baby because people disagree with your opinion. I also have stated other reasons than just making a different noise. But once again, you apparently can't read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts
    Actually, your a moron, since apparently you don't know how to read. If you did actually know how to read, you would have seen that I have said multiple times I would be find using an electric car to commute with. But for the driving experience I would rather have an ICE vehicle. Stop being a little baby because people disagree with your opinion. I also have stated other reasons than just making a different noise. But once again, you apparently can't read.
    you leave my a moron out of this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #108
    CK5
    July 2005
    26 Posts
    Right, well moving back on topic, I think its great that they have developed better batteries. Perhaps they can apply it to other battery applications. It would be great to have laptop and phone batteries which lasted longer as well as being able to get a reasonably priced electric car with a good range. Hopefully these new batteries can be brought into the mainstream. I wonder what there lifespan would be like, if its any longer than standard lithium-ion batteries.

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    10,267 Posts
    CK5 and TestECull's posts are hilarious, I think it's amazing how backward and idiotic people can be about things, especially cars, if you want a mode of transportation that actually has a "soul" and feels alive then buy a horse.

Edited:

They even make sounds and everything!

30. Post #110
    CK5
    July 2005
    26 Posts
    CK5 and TestECull's posts are hilarious, I think it's amazing how backward and idiotic people can be about things, especially cars, if you want a mode of transportation that actually has a "soul" and feels alive then buy a horse.

Edited:

They even make sounds and everything!
    And I am amazed that how close minded and immature people can be. Also the fact that you apparently CAN'T READ. You sir are the one who is an idiot. Read what I said. I like electric cars just fine as a mode of transportation. But for the sheer enjoyment of the drive I prefer ICE cars.

Btw I suppose you are saying anyone who rides a horse is idiotic and backward, simply because they like to do it? Probably, since you do not have the ability to understand that anyone has an opinion that differs from your own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,372 Posts
    And I am amazed that how close minded and immature people can be. Also the fact that you apparently CAN'T READ. You sir are the one who is an idiot. Read what I said. I like electric cars just fine as a mode of transportation. But for the sheer enjoyment of the drive I prefer ICE cars.

Btw I suppose you are saying anyone who rides a horse is idiotic and backward, simply because they like to do it? Probably, since you do not have the ability to understand that anyone has an opinion that differs from your own.
    Dude its happened in every fucking thread about cars, if there are technological advancements and you're not lined up to buy it the first day it comes out then you're a fucking moron apparently.

It happened in a thread about federal government pushing for laws to dictate that all cars have 56MPG or better by 2025 or something. I said I was concerned because I felt like it would push auto makers to design cars that would be undesirable for some consumers, like myself. Guess what? Exact same thing happened there that happened here, flooded with dumbs and people telling me I'm an idiot for being concerned and not following the status Que.

All it comes down to is preference, fuck I know electric cars are eventually going to be the way to go. But the ones out now are horrid or too damn expensive. When this shit actually gets put into the market then we'll talk, but until then I'm sticking with ICE.

32. Post #112
    May 2005
    8,596 Posts
    Dude its happened in every fucking thread about cars, if there are technological advancements and you're not lined up to buy it the first day it comes out then you're a fucking moron apparently.

It happened in a thread about federal government pushing for laws to dictate that all cars have 56MPG or better by 2025 or something. I said I was concerned because I felt like it would push auto makers to design cars that would be undesirable for some consumers, like myself. Guess what? Exact same thing happened there that happened here, flooded with dumbs and people telling me I'm an idiot for being concerned and not following the status Que.

All it comes down to is preference, fuck I know electric cars are eventually going to be the way to go. But the ones out now are horrid or too damn expensive. When this shit actually gets put into the market then we'll talk, but until then I'm sticking with ICE.
    There is an entire portion of the world where we have to send giant warships filled with munitions, marines, and attack aircraft in order to subjugate the population and keep the oil flowing. I'm kinda tired of it. Can we stop killing folks over a black flammable substance now? It is getting pretty ridiculous.

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,684 Posts
    "Why would I switch to Windows 7? Who cares if it is more efficient or more powerful? I like the feel of Windows XP, the jagged edges of DX9, and the old fashioned minesweeper. You're not a computer nerd, you wouldn't understand."

You know I fought on the XP side when Vista released? I beta tested that piece of shit, even mailed Microsoft directly to tell them it was not ready for release. They didn't listen to any of us... sure enough down comes Windows 7, and after a few bugs got worked out... I couldn't realistically argue that XP was superior anymore. Fact is, 7 is better.

Maybe it's too soon to call ICE "XP" and EV "7", but that time is definitely going to come in our lifetime. Don't fight it when it comes... it's not worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #114
    CK5
    July 2005
    26 Posts
    There is an entire portion of the world where we have to send giant warships filled with munitions, marines, and attack aircraft in order to subjugate the population and keep the oil flowing. I'm kinda tired of it. Can we stop killing folks over a black flammable substance now? It is getting pretty ridiculous.
    No, we don't have to send anybody there. I personally don't understand the logic behind it. Its hardly the only reason that where over there either, there a ton of reasons. But oil is not an important one, or shouldn't be. Canada and the USA have plenty of oil, and coal which can be turned into synthetic gasoline. Its a moot point to say that we should all switch to electric cars because we rely on foreign oil. Heres a genius idea, if we stop buying from them and start using our own natural resources we won't have to be dependent.

Even if we get EV's were still gonna be over there, I would put money on that fact.

"Why would I switch to Windows 7? Who cares if it is more efficient or more powerful? I like the feel of Windows XP, the jagged edges of DX9, and the old fashioned minesweeper. You're not a computer nerd, you wouldn't understand."

You know I fought on the XP side when Vista released? I beta tested that piece of shit, even mailed Microsoft directly to tell them it was not ready for release. They didn't listen to any of us... sure enough down comes Windows 7, and after a few bugs got worked out... I couldn't realistically argue that XP was superior anymore. Fact is, 7 is better.

Maybe it's too soon to call ICE "XP" and EV "7", but that time is definitely going to come in our lifetime. Don't fight it when it comes... it's not worth it.
    Really, that's not the same thing. I hate analogies like that for the fact that they don't address the issue at hand. And if we were going to use that analogy, then I would say that the difference between 7 and XP is like switching from a carbureted engine to a fuel injected one, Since XP and 7 are the same under the hood. Also, 7 does everything XP does, and more. EV's do not do everything ICE's do. They are entirely different things.

I mean, people still use gliders, even though powered aircraft are "better". People still run and ride bikes, even though motorized transport is "better", and funny enough they do both those things often times simply for enjoyment. I see going out for a drive as the same, it does not have to be simply for transportation. A lot of people see a car as a means of transportation, and that's it, and I can see why it might be hard for them to understand that some people get enjoyment out of it, just as its hard for me to understand how they don't. But why is it such a big deal for those people to prove us wrong? I mean there is absolutely no way you can win the argument, because not a person is saying that the internal combustion engine is a better method of transport than an electric car! We like them for a different reason altogether, so why bother trying to tell us that our opinion is wrong when you can't even understand it?

Someday EV's will be dominant, and I will have one and drive it to and from work. Then on the weekends I will take out my ICE car and enjoy it. I will still enjoy getting my hands greasy working on it, the smell of the oil and fluids of the engine, everything. And not a thing is going to change that.

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    10,267 Posts

It's because you ARE a fucking moron, cars being more efficient is a good thing, what the fuck do you even have to be concerned about? Do you think we'll be forced to start driving around in minivans or hybrid look-a-likes just because they don't devour a hundred gallons of gas every mile?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

36. Post #116
    Gold Apple
    December 2011
    5,575 Posts
    Gas runs out -> People buy electrical cars.
    planet 90% fucked up at that point
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #117
    CK5
    July 2005
    26 Posts
    It's because you ARE a fucking moron, cars being more efficient is a good thing, what the fuck do you even have to be concerned about? Do you think we'll be forced to start driving around in minivans or hybrid look-a-likes just because they don't devour a hundred gallons of gas every mile?
    How old are you? Your calling somebody a "fucking moron" because he has a different opinion than you? It's called a discussion, if your going to take part in it, atleast sound like someone who has some sort of intelligence.

planet 90% fucked up at that point
    Hardly. Given how clean modern automobiles are, what with all the strict emissions controls and what not, I highly doubt that they are causing any significant impact on the air pollution. And they are only going to get cleaner as time goes on.

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    10,267 Posts
    How old are you? Your calling somebody a "fucking moron" because he has a different opinion than you? It's called a discussion, if your going to take part in it, atleast sound like someone who has some sort of intelligence.
    What opinion? All he's saying is he's "concerened" because apparently cars being efficient completely change the way they look and operate, which is an idiotic thing to say.

39. Post #119
    CK5
    July 2005
    26 Posts
    What opinion? All he's saying is he's "concerned" because apparently cars being efficient completely change the way they look and operate, which is an idiotic thing to say.
    Well thats a pretty valid opinion. Sounds like he does not like the direction that car design is going. Much of car design these days is to maximize efficiency, with aesthetics coming second. I can't speak for him, but for me atleast, I would rather give up a few MPG to get a better looking car. I think thats a pretty sound opinion. The Gov't standards mean that the car manufacturers try and find every extra MPG they can, often at the expense of the looks of the car and performance. I personally do not like that. And it seems neither do quite a few other people. Whats so wrong with our opinion?

40. Post #120
    Gold Apple
    December 2011
    5,575 Posts
    the answer is public transportation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)