1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,803 Posts
    Ruling in what it called a "tragically bizarre" case, an appeals court found that the estate of a man killed by a train while crossing the Edgebrook Metra station tracks can be held liable after a part of his body sent airborne by the collision struck and injured a bystander.

In 2008, Hiroyuki Joho, 18, was hurrying in pouring rain with an umbrella over his head, trying to catch an inbound Metra train due to arrive in about five minutes when he was struck by a southbound Amtrak train traveling more than 70 mph.

A large portion of his body was thrown about 100 feet on to the southbound platform, where it struck Gayane Zokhrabov, then 58, who was waiting to catch the 8:17 a.m. train to work. She was knocked to the ground, her leg and wrist broken and her shoulder injured.

A Cook County judge dismissed Zokhrabov's lawsuit against Joho's estate, finding that Joho could not have anticipated Zokhrabov's injuries.

A state appeals court, after noting that the case law involving "flying bodies" is sparse, has disagreed, ruling that "it was reasonably foreseeable" that the high-speed train would kill Joho and fling his body down the tracks toward a platform where people were waiting.

Leslie Rosen, who handled Zokhrabov's appeal, said that while the circumstances of the case were "very peculiar and gory and creepy," it ultimately was a straightforward negligence case, no different than if a train passenger had been injured after the engineer hit the brakes.

"If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it," she said.

Joho's mother, Jeung-Hee Park, who had just dropped him off before the accident, filed her own lawsuit against Metra and the Canadian Pacific Railway. The lawsuit said both entities were negligent because Joho had no warning that what he thought was his Metra train was actually an express Amtrak train.

The Metra train was delayed that day, but there was no announcement on the platform's loudspeakers. A Cook County judge found that the railroads had no duty to warn about such an "open and obvious danger" as a moving train, a decision upheld on appeal.

Keith Davidson, one of Park's attorneys, said he is seeking to appeal that ruling to the Illinois Supreme Court.

Two months after Joho's death, another person was killed while crossing the Edgebrook station tracks in Chicago. Joyce Chiriboga, 48, died after being struck while following her sister across the tracks in a case that alleged a Metra engineer had failed to keep lookout and blow the horn in time.

The case was recently settled for an undisclosed amount, court records show.

Other Illinois "flying body" cases include a 1974 Supreme Court ruling from La Grange in which a passenger in a two-car crash at Brainard Street and Ogden Avenue was thrown 30 feet into a public parkway. His leg, which had to be amputated, was impaled on a broken piece of drain pipe the town had left by the road, but courts found that La Grange could not be held liable.

In 1951, a postal worker in Momence, Ill., was seriously injured after a train struck an elderly woman whose body knocked him into his mail cart, breaking his leg. But in that case, he successfully sued the railroad for operating a train at an unsafe speed.
    http://www.wtkr.com/news/ct-met-trai...,1861470.story
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 56Funny Funny x 41Friendly Friendly x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    December 2009
    151 Posts
    The system works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 57Funny Funny x 15Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    what the fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 99Funny Funny x 2Starred Starred x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    quality poster
    August 2009
    12,066 Posts
    scum of the earth

if only she were the one hit by the train
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 170Disagree x 12Funny x 5Starred x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member

July 2007
    3,157 Posts
    Not to sound insensitive, but I have to agree with the ruling. If the man is stupid enough to run across the tracks, he and his estate should be held responsible, even after death. It is not the woman's fault that his dismembered limbs hit her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 93Dumb x 20Disagree x 5Funny x 3Artistic x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    19,986 Posts
    Talk about going out on a limb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 70Funny Funny x 6Informative Informative x 4Starred Starred x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    October 2010
    1,003 Posts
    While I was reading this news story I spilled coffee on my hand and burned myself.

I'm sueing Gayane Zokhrabov now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 83Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    December 2011
    111 Posts
    I feel awful for laughing, but just visualising that happening is ridiculously funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Starred x 19Agree x 10Disagree x 4Funny x 4Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,158 Posts
    AAH HA HA HA HA HA

Oh my god, she can't be serious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

10. Post #10
    Not to sound insensitive, but I have to agree with the ruling. If the man is stupid enough to run across the tracks, he and his estate should be held responsible, even after death. It is not the woman's fault that his dismembered limbs hit her.
    Alright then i guess all the money his life insurance gave his family will have to go to some prissy stuck up bitch who thinks that just because a body hit her and injured her, It's totally a sane, rational thing to go sue his family for hundreds of thousands of dollars! Fuck little timmy's college fund! ahAHahah! Show that dumb cunt to wander onto the train tracks! Yeah what a fag lol!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 54Dumb Dumb x 23Zing Zing x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    Dennab
    November 2009
    5,246 Posts
    Should have sued Amtrak instead. Why the hell was a train travelling at 70 miles an hour so close to a packed train station?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    black people
    April 2008
    3,832 Posts
    Alright then i guess all the money his life insurance gave his family will have to go to some prissy stuck up bitch who thinks that just because a body hit her and injured her, It's totally a sane, rational thing to go sue his family for hundreds of thousands of dollars! Fuck little timmy's college fund! ahAHahah! Show that dumb cunt to wander onto the train tracks! Yeah what a fag lol!
    Yeah man fuck the people who got hit and who could've gotten seriously injured by someone who decided to jump in front of the train. Let's completely disregard their health and the fact that they saw a man get completely obliterated by a train and were injured by his body parts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 1Starred Starred x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

July 2007
    3,157 Posts
    This is a hilarious twisting of my words, how cute

Also the article mentioned no specifics of the man's family or how much the woman sued for. She could have just sued for the medical bills, you have no idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    5,025 Posts
    Yeah man fuck the people who got hit and who could've gotten seriously injured by someone who decided to jump in front of the train. Let's completely disregard their health and the fact that they saw a man get completely obliterated by a train and were injured by his body parts.
    I don't think he was trying to kill himself. And there is no one to blame for the situation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Yeheah! Fuck that dumb cunt! Hahah! teach someone to make a mistake hahaha! Show that dumb cunt what you get for being retarded and having an accident! Make his family suffer for something he already got punished for by nature! ahhah!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 26Dumb Dumb x 10Late Late x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,201 Posts
    this sounds like a comedy skit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 23Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2011
    2,984 Posts
    Dude its a hard case, I mean honestly, the guy is at fault for what happened because he was putting himself into danger, and I can say that this lawsuit actually makes sense, but you have to be FUCKED UP to do something like this, its fucking disgusting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    Dude its a hard case, I mean honestly, the guy is at fault for what happened because he was putting himself into danger, and I can say that this lawsuit actually makes sense, but you have to be FUCKED UP to do something like this, its fucking disgusting.
    Yeah. I bet he really intended to have his body fly 100 feet and hit a woman.

Are you mentally defunct? He had an accident, And paid for it with his life, Why should his family suffer for it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 30Dumb Dumb x 6Starred Starred x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    Dennab
    January 2009
    24,631 Posts
    A large portion of his body was thrown about 100 feet on to the southbound platform, where it struck Gayane Zokhrabov, then 58, who was waiting to catch the 8:17 a.m. train to work. She was knocked to the ground, her leg and wrist broken and her shoulder injured.
    Two broken bones can be a quite serious injury for somebody at age of 58, and considering she goes to work by train, at that age, she's probably not exactly loaded.

What if SHE needs to pay her insurance, and perhaps owes for the treatment she got after the injury? What if she relies on her income, and inability to work got her into financial problems? What if SHE has family, and Timmy who needs a college fund?

The guy WAS responsible for her injuries, and although this is sad and everything, she has no reason to suck it up, when he, although already dead, is the only one to blame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Do people even read the OP anymore?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Dennab
    November 2009
    5,246 Posts
    And here we go with the sexist, derogatory rants attacking the victim with absolutely no evidence to back the claims up.

Maybe she just sued for medical compensation. People sue for more than money, you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Two broken bones can be a quite serious injury for somebody at age of 58, and considering she goes to work by train, at that age, she's probably not exactly loaded.

What if SHE needs to pay her insurance, and perhaps owes for the treatment she got after the injury? What if she relies on her income, and inability to work got her into financial problems? What if SHE has family, and Timmy who needs a college fund?

The guy WAS responsible for her injuries, and although this is sad and everything, she has no reason to suck it up, when he, although already dead, is the only one to blame.
    He was pulverized by a fucking train. Hasn't he taken enough punishment for his actions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

23. Post #23
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    Dennab
    January 2009
    24,631 Posts

Are you mentally defunct? He had an accident, And paid for it with his life, Why should his family suffer for it?
    Even if you die in a car accident which you cause, and others get harmed, you are still considered to be the offender and for example the insurance and such are dealt with according to that.

Death doesn't change anything. It doesn't reset what you did, and things you should owe you still owe, or better, they become your "inheritance" to whoever gets the rest of your shit.

Edited:

He was pulverized by a fucking train. Hasn't he taken enough punishment for his actions?
    This isn't about fucking punishment.

Justice shouldn't be about punishment, 90% of time. It's about decreasing the impact of his fuckup on people who had no responsibility for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

24. Post #24
    August 2011
    2,984 Posts

I think you missed the point of my post, but if you want to be aggressive about your point go for it, not my credibility being tarnished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    What's brevity?
    Dennab
    June 2006
    24,062 Posts
    She can't sue the deceased for something he had no control over, she's not allowed to. Instead of getting dosh for her sheer cheek, she should get slapped round the face with a half-rotten disembodied arm, and be forced to accept that getting hit by the detached giblets of a broken man is nothing more than an unfortunate accident, and no-one does ANY litigation.

I over-reacted with the "heartless bitch" part, since it's understandable for her to want compensation for injury, but nonetheless litigation against the deceased is practically grave-robbing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 6Starred Starred x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,055 Posts
    "If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it," she said.
    That's a wonderful concept, however, he's fucking dead.
    She could have just sued for the medical bills, you have no idea.
    I'm sure she has medical insurance that would cover the extremely minor damage caused by a piece of meat slapping into you. And yes, that's "minor damage", a broken leg isn't that big of a deal, you sit out a while, you get worker's comp or work from home, and you're right as rain in a little while. That she got wounded is unfortunate, but it was an accident.

I'm also sure that the life insurance payout for a person annihilated via train is pretty substantial, and that the asshat just wanted a chunk of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    October 2011
    369 Posts
    Fuck that bitch, i think she should give all her money to the family for being such a little bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    What a heartless-sounding bitch. She can't sue the deceased for something he had no control over, she's not allowed to. Instead of getting dosh for her sheer cheek, she should get slapped round the face with a half-rotten disembodied arm, and be forced to accept that getting hit by the detached giblets of a broken man is nothing more than an unfortunate accident, and no-one does ANY litigation.
    This.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    November 2009
    5,246 Posts
    HES FUCKING DEAD.

Meanwhile an innocent woman (described by you as a " prissy stuck up bitch" and a "dumb cunt") has to deal with broken bones, and the psycological trauma of being struck by someone elses half-dismembered body.

That's a wonderful concept, however, he's fucking dead.

I'm sure she has medical insurance that would cover the extremely minor damage caused by a piece of meat slapping into you. And yes, that's "minor damage", a broken leg isn't that big of a deal, you sit out a while, you get worker's comp or work from home, and you're right as rain in a little while. That she got wounded is unfortunate, but it was an accident.

I'm also sure that the life insurance payout for a person annihilated via train is pretty substantial, and that the asshat just wanted a chunk of it.
    And what about the psycological trauma of being seriously injured by a half-dismembered body that came flying at you, covering you in blood and guts and shit?

I can't speak for every plan, but my health insurence only coveres a certain number of sessions with therapists. I'd imagine she would need more than four or five sessions a month to recover from that aspect of her injuries.

Making things up to shift the story, eh? You have no idea if she worked for a huge company with amazing medical coverage or the McDonalds down the street. You have no idea what kinds of health conditions she may have had, or how serious her injuries were. Given her age, one broken bone could have very easily caused a host of other conditions. Stop assuming these things to be true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2Starred Starred x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    It sounds like something out of Saints Row: The Third
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    HES FUCKING DEAD.

Meanwhile an innocent woman (described by you as a " prissy stuck up bitch" and a "dumb cunt") has to deal with broken bones, and the psycological trauma of being struck by someone elses half-dismembered body.

And what about the psycological trauma of being seriously injured by a half-dismembered body that came flying at you, covering you in blood and guts and shit?

I can't speak for every plan, but my health insurence only coveres a certain number of sessions with theripists.

Making things up to shift the story, eh? You have no idea if she worked for a huge company with amazing medical coverage or the McDonalds down the street. Stop assuming these things to be true.

"psycological trauma"

If you can't even spell Psychological correctly and you're trying to argue for it i pity you
    "make up things to shif the story eh"

UH. Don't call the kettle black when you're the pot. You're doing the same, Who said she was psychologically traumatized?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    5,319 Posts
    ...ruling that "it was reasonably foreseeable" that the high-speed train would kill Joho and fling his body down the tracks toward a platform where people were waiting.
    wut
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2011
    3,416 Posts
    ITT: people with double standards arguing

Silly Americans, never putting yourself on other's shoes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

34. Post #34
    :thinking:
    March 2010
    11,277 Posts
    [h2]DEATH SENTENCE[/h2]

Oh, wait...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

35. Post #35
    I referred to him, sarcastically, as the dumb cunt. I never referred to HER as the dumb cunt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts

Go read the posts, half of em aint from the US.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts

It's putting yourself in other's shoes, not on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,750 Posts
    A state appeals court, after noting that the case law involving "flying bodies" is sparse, has disagreed, ruling that "it was reasonably foreseeable" that the high-speed train would kill Joho and fling his body down the tracks toward a platform where people were waiting.

Leslie Rosen, who handled Zokhrabov's appeal, said that while the circumstances of the case were "very peculiar and gory and creepy," it ultimately was a straightforward negligence case, no different than if a train passenger had been injured after the engineer hit the brakes.

[h2]HE'S DEAD YOU FUCKING IGNORAMUS HOW DO YOU FORESEE YOUR OWN DEATH AND HOW IT'LL PLAY OUT CHRIST[/h2]

Woo, justice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    November 2009
    5,246 Posts
    What's so hard to understand about that?

Here's the Metra station:

Since he was struck by a southbound train, the impact occurred 100 feet north of the platform. He was most likely either east or west of the railroad tracks, and attempted to cross over the tracks without looking both ways to reach the platform.

That person's body, when hit by a massive train travelling at over 70 miles per hour, has to go somewhere, doesn't it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,681 Posts
    Train tracks should be treated like you would a gun- assume it's loaded, always.

In the case of train tracks, it's on the pedestrian to assume the responsibility for crossing safely.

The exception would be if there was a crossing sign and it gave an 'all clear' message even though a train was coming.

So in this case I'd say the guy who got hit is at fault. It sounds like even his family is saying he knew a train was coming. They say he thought it was a slower Metra train, rather than the faster Amtrak. Who gives a shit? A train was coming and he knew it but he went for it anyways.

The part I have a problem with is could he foresee that chunks of his body would hit someone? I don't know if I buy that, I've seen lots of videos of people getting hit by trains and they usually either disintegrate or go under the train. Very rarely does a chunk go flying and score a hit on someone else. Also, I'd say anyone standing near a train track assumes partial responsibility for being hit by debris from passing trains. If a train wheel kicks up a rock and the rock hits someone who is standing right there, is that the fault of the railroad?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)