1. Post #41
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,113 Posts
    Back seats don't look too roomy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,216 Posts
    Fucking futuristic military vehicles.
    The Light Armored Vehicles of today are starting to become more heavily armored & armed than the light tanks of World War 2.
    What vehicles faced in WW2 is totally different than what we face today, now there's a larger emphasis on explosives and shaped charges which would totally eliminate a light WW2 era tank

And about armed better, a tank gun of today is still much more effective than a machine gun, though modern grenade launchers are pretty dangerous for their relative size
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #43
    Why has nobody said THIS yet?

It really reminds me of the District 9 MNU jeeps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 7Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,216 Posts

I just realized that, those were so awesome

Though I find it sad that that the designers tried to make it tacticool looking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,468 Posts

Aren't those Toyota hilux?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    25,211 Posts

They're design students, why wouldn't they make it look good?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

7. Post #47
    HEY GUYS DID I MENTION I'M IN THE ARMY
    March 2006
    2,939 Posts

So? It has cupholders, armor, and it looks neat to boot. While I am not sold on it as a replacement to our current Humvees, it can definitely fill a support and transport role. As long as it will keep me and my battle buddies safe, I am all for it. EFPs will still be a problem, but they can penetrate strykers and abrams tanks, so I guess I would be fucked either way. Also, humvees are uncomfortable as shit to ride in and there is no comfortable way to hold your weapon when you are riding in one. Not only that, but it is awkward to get in and out of one with your weapon and also having to keep the couple hundred pound door from smashing you or your limbs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    So, can a civilian buy an armored version?
    Fixed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Starred Starred x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,926 Posts
    Aren't those Toyota hilux?
    If i remember right they are, but they're heavily rebuilt for that particular movie.

Edited:

Armor's gonna fuck the mileage too much for a civilian.
    It'll be heavy as fuck and just ruin the handling of it in a sub-urban or inner-city environment.
    Besides the US military always likes to keep the armor details on their soon-to-be or currently used vehicles confidential, in order to keep the insurgents and terrorists from learning it's weak spots right away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #50

September 2011
    513 Posts
    That is the ugliest, most tacticool piece of shit I have ever seen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #51
    quality poster
    August 2009
    12,066 Posts
    sweet lets buy some more gadgets for the army~!!

at least we'll have a good looking hummer revision for civilians again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Starred Starred x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    May 2010
    902 Posts
    Can't wait to see soccer moms picking up their kids in these.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member

November 2007
    7,998 Posts
    ....Hrm...Willys Jeep lasted about 50-60 years. Hummer has lasted about 20.

We gonna get a new model 5 years after this is approved and deployed?
    Yes, but you could drive a Jeep around in a World War II battlefield, but you'd never even consider driving one in Afghanistan. Conflict has changed too much for that to be an apt comparison. Your technology needs to advance with warfare. So what if you need to redesign everything in 5 years? If that's what it takes to keep soldiers and equipment safe, so be it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    $$$Good News Everyone!$$$
    January 2007
    5,514 Posts
    I still doubt it will take a hit from an EFP.
    Question is, what can truly withstand a hit from an EFP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #55
    April 2011
    1,417 Posts

First thing I thought of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 21Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,409 Posts
    Why the fuck do people complain about a potential humvee replacement as "tacticool" or "techno military fetish wankery"? Who gives a shit if it looks good or not, if it gets the job done, then by all means, use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #57
    October 2010
    3,159 Posts
    Why the fuck do people complain about a potential humvee replacement as "tacticool" or "techno military fetish wankery"? Who gives a shit if it looks good or not, if it gets the job done, then by all means, use it.
    People like to nitpick the smallest details just to find something they can complain/bitch about. This helps them feel like they know a better way to do it, and are somehow more qualified than the armed forces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Starred Starred x 2 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,409 Posts
    People like to nitpick the smallest details just to find something they can complain/bitch about. This helps them feel like they know a better way to do it, and are somehow more qualified than the armed forces.
    I mean, people pointing out it's flaws is fine, but bitching about it's appearance is pretty damn stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    10,475 Posts
    Tacticool implies it has unnecessary shit on it.

I don't see unnecessary shit on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

20. Post #60
    May 2005
    8,596 Posts
    They tend to have a propensity for the doors sealing shut when IEDs hit them, as well as locks and whatnot killing the soldiers inside. I hope this thing can take blasts better. Problem is, they still won't be able to take a blast from an EFP. Once we can defeat that, then things will get better.
    To reliably defeat those right now you require armor thickness, which these vehicles can't provide. Even assuming you had the power necessary to haul all that armor around, you need a vehicle that won't cause small bridges to collapse (Which is a serious limitation in many countries).

To defeat an IED, you can redirect the blast, hence the angular design of MRAP type vehicles, which drastically reduces the armor thickness necessary.

I imagine active defense systems will be further developed to the point where shoulder and vehicle launched penetrators can be intercepted and destroyed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #61
    I think it looks pretty bad ass as it is.

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,689 Posts
    Looks to me like one o' them there future-jeeps from Terra Nova

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    2,474 Posts
    honestly reminded me of something out of Jurassic Park
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,216 Posts
    I just don't think that you should have aesthetics in mind when designing a functional military vehicle

If it happens to look awesome after it's designed that's great, but when you actually design it specifically to look awesome then I see a problem
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Edit: Hurpy durp I am stupid, disregard me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

26. Post #66
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    10,477 Posts
    It's not going to look anything like that when (if) it's completed.

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,216 Posts
    Almost all modern US military equipment can still be functional in most ways when an EMP hits, it is not like the military has thought about it and went "lets just hope it works when EMP's hit."
    Where does that say EMP?

He said EFP, which I believe stands for Explosively Formed Penetrator if I'm not mistaken
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    29,235 Posts
    it most likely will due to these already being manufactured for civilian use since 2008 or so
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    11,874 Posts
    Reminds me of Hot Wheels, but in a good way. And a very good one at that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    LIVE LIKE A WINDRAMMER AS YOU FUCK
    June 2010
    5,376 Posts
    So, can a civilian buy a un-armored version?
    Speaking of which, I would fucking love to own the Marauder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,098 Posts
    Looks pretty good, would've preferred an HMG on top though just for the sake of defense.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,607 Posts
    Unlike before, they can survive an IED, and that's a much bigger problem in Afghanistan than missiles.
    They still can't survive the shaped copper penetrating IEDs they've started using.

Edited:

Question is, what can truly withstand a hit from an EFP.
    This is pretty much the case.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,559 Posts
    Looks pretty good, would've preferred an HMG on top though just for the sake of defense.
    Joke, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,216 Posts
    Probably will have some sort of mounted weapon at some point
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,559 Posts
    Probably will have some sort of mounted weapon at some point
    The current humvee is optimized to allow for different setups. I don't see why this new one wouldn't.

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    25,211 Posts
    Joke, right?
    Why would that be a joke?

Edited:

The current humvee is optimized to allow for different setups. I don't see why this new one wouldn't.
    Oh I see. Nevemind

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,595 Posts
    Joke, right?
    Hopefully, it would be smarter to mount a 105mm recoilless rifle on top.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    HEY GUYS DID I MENTION I'M IN THE ARMY
    March 2006
    2,939 Posts
    I wonder if they will put a CROWS system on it. Of course, the Army in all of its mysterious ways never gets shiny new equipment put on stuff we use, much less make it work. The M1A2 for example has some cool bells and whistles and double targeting and stuff, but only when it works.

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,602 Posts
    they'll probably add the ability to mount guns on the top like the humvee

Edited:

From that angle it kind of does look similar.

From the other ones, not so much.

that's not the same design

40. Post #80
    Where does that say EMP?

He said EFP, which I believe stands for Explosively Formed Penetrator if I'm not mistaken
    I read that wrong, excuse my stupidity.