1. Post #1
    Dennab
    August 2007
    4,320 Posts
    We had a thread like this a while back but I think it died

Waiting for some ram to come in, so I can add more into these esxi boxes, then maybe get up DRBD going and a few other things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,941 Posts
    Question, how did you get failover stuff to work? I can't get DC stuff to work in ESXi. Do you have a license for them, or is it free?

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    August 2007
    4,320 Posts
    Question, how did you get failover stuff to work? I can't get DC stuff to work in ESXi. Do you have a license for them, or is it free?
    If you are using the trial it should have HA/DRS features enabled, you will need to set up Vcenter add the hosts and make a datacenter, then cluster and make sure both boxes can see the shared storage. Storage DRS/vmotion Storage is good for this, but for an unplanned outage you'll need some sort of replication going on
    should look like this

Once my host profile settings clicks in on esxi3(192.168.0.12) everything should be connected to everything

4. Post #4
    ReThinkVPS
    July 2011
    189 Posts
    I've got 4 servers all running VPS's but I don't have any pictures because they are sat in datacenters in California and Pennsylvania.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    Dennab
    August 2010
    7,138 Posts
    I have three servers, one of which I at least try to actively fucking use, the rest are either unused (DL140), not needed (Apple WGS 95), or need parts (like the DL580 which needs four CPU's)

The main one however is the IBM which operates as an on-line host for the tape library at the bottom.

The design is very similar to IBM's old 3850 Mass Storage System but a lot faster.
    It takes about a minute to get most files off it the first time but once they are loaded into the cache you can get to them immediately.

The DL580 one day should hopefully be running as a game server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,136 Posts
    My server :

Specs :
    AMD 7750 (To be replaced)
    7GB 677MHz DDR2
    ARECA ARC-1222 8 port RAID card

Storage :
    The Master partition is made out of 4x Samsung HD204UI in RAID5

7. Post #7
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,815 Posts

Netgear readynas with two seagate 1TB HDDs inside.

Hey, it runs various server applications and also has an open debian based operating system with full apt repositories, this is all I need and it doesn't eat electricity or make a loud noise :)

I don't play games often so don't run a game server, and my websites are hosted on a clustered hosting solution, someone else can take care of it

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,048 Posts
    I have three servers, one of which I at least try to actively fucking use, the rest are either unused (DL140), not needed (Apple WGS 95), or need parts (like the DL580 which needs four CPU's)
    Bitchin' tape library. We have a couple of those exact same ones at my work just collecting dust, if my boss gets around to figuring out if he's going to junk them I have dibs on one of them.

Got a little room for my servers

The silver one is my 3.17TB fileserver, the Poweredge 1750 is an ESXi machine running Pfsense, neorouter, domain controller and generally just for playing around.

My Sun StorEdge retrofit project just waiting to be mounted in a new LACK I got for Chirstmas -

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    December 2011
    111 Posts

It just sits in a little 19" rackmount ATX case under my desk.

10. Post #10
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,941 Posts
    Not really servers but they're in the server room.

Here they are!

Also boxxy.

MIPS, you'll appreciate this:

It's a SCSI RAID. 8 73GB 10k drives. The whole thing is fucking intense.

The home office:

TURBOCOLOR!!!

Edited:

Oh look, more servers!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,306 Posts
    Same old server, still chilling in the crawlspace. I'll probably buy a gigabit Ethernet PCI card for it and replace the 10/100 switch in my room with a gigabit switch. Transfers are a tad slow.
    Specs are still the same:
    2.9 GHz Core 2 Duo E7500
    2 GB DDR2
    The cheapest socket 775 motherboard I could buy on newegg at the time. It's some Biostar model.
    160 GB and 320 GB HDDs
    "HIPRO" PSU that a friend had laying around from an HP desktop.

And phpsysinfo:

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,841 Posts

Sadly no pics from after I did proper cable management before sending it off to the datacenter where it lives now.

Specs:

Intel i7-2600K
    16GB (4x4GB) Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
    Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H (amazing how stable this has been - who needs proper server motherboards :V )
    2x 1TB Samsung F3 in RAID 1
    64GB Crucial M4 SSD
    FSP 300w 1u PSU
    XCase.co.uk RM100-V3 1u case
    Dynatron K199 1u CPU cooler (keeps it just about under 80C at max load)

Phpsysinfo:

(Voltages are all just guesswork on the offsets and what they represent, silly lm_sensors)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

13. Post #13

December 2011
    18 Posts
    a
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14

May 2008
    324 Posts
    I usually enjoy these threads so I’ll try to keep it going with some content…

This is where it all began, a P4 machine with a couple of 200GB drives running FreeNAS.

Then I got a job with my schools IT Support, and took home some of their rubbish, two HP ML370 servers, a Cisco 2950 and a little KVM. I got a DL380 and a little iomega NAS to go with it all.

Then I was given a 12U server cabinet and an 8 Tape autoloader by my boss.

Here it is now, I have a 32A dedicated circuit, I bought a 42U rack and am in the process of migrating everything to virtual, using Citrix XenServer running on two Intel SR1550AL Servers, each with 2x dual core Xeons and 12GB of RAM.

Edit, Bonus Shots:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    8,977 Posts

Edited:

I have a few racks servers in my garage, will take pics if I can still find them

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,274 Posts
    Here is what i started off with

1.6GHZ willimate P4, 512MB ram, 160GB and 500GB HDDs, ASrock P4I65G, some IED disguised as a PSU

it ran freeNAS

Here's my current ridiculous looking server

The same HDDs from the last server, Intel D510MO, 2x1GB DDR2 sticks, running debian and a proper PSU

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,906 Posts
    Seems like the Intel D510MO is a popular choice for a power efficient home server.

Old picture that doesn't show that the bottom 3,5" hdd and USB-to-SATA controller has been replaced with a 2,5" USB hdd.
    And that I actually DID a little bit of cable management.

Specs:
    Intel D510MO motherboard&cpu combo
    2GB kingston value ram
    4X Samsung 1,5TB hdd's in ZFS RaidZ (magic)
    PCI 2 port SATA controller.
    320GB USB 2,5" hdd (for the OS)
    Chieftec 450Watt PSU
    About to order a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 WiFI card for it, since I can't hook it up to the router via wire without crawling in lots of glass wool insulation to pull the darn ethernet cable.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,274 Posts
    It's a lovely board for home servers. My only beef with it is the PCH gets really fucking hot and you need to glue a heatsink to it like binary has.

Edited:

Also 2 sata ports is a little restrictive

i'm considering getting this

19. Post #19
    December 2009
    8,977 Posts
    It's a lovely board for home servers. My only beef with it is the PCH gets really fucking hot and you need to glue a heatsink to it like binary has.
    Hot gluing will only act as a insulator. If you have some thick thermal pastes like TX-2, that's more than enough to hold the heatsink in place if you lay it flat. Or better yet, get some thermal epoxy.

20. Post #20
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    Dennab
    October 2008
    18,524 Posts
    ...does a VPS count?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,274 Posts
    Hot gluing will only act as a insulator. If you have some thick thermal pastes like TX-2, that's more than enough to hold the heatsink in place if you lay it flat. Or better yet, get some thermal epoxy.
    I meant thermal epoxy.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    I don't know what mine even looks like, I'm renting it

Processor: X3440 (2.53GHz Quad Core + HT)
    Memory Type: 4GB DDR3-1333 2R*8 REG ECC
    Memory Amount: 2
    Hard Drive Slot 1: 500GB SATA II Enterprise Grade (3.5")

Currently running GMod, CSS, TF2, Minecraft and Mumble servers, along with a few apache and mysql servers. Yep.

Oh hooked up to a 100Mb line with 10TB transfer monthly.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    7,019 Posts

My server's hiding in the closet, refusing to jump out.
    It gets so hot in that closet that I once grew plants behind the screen, and I accidently forgot to water them for a few hours so they got baked.
    The 1U's got similiar specs, however it's not online because I'm too lazy to buy ram for it. I bought it from another facepuncher for 40 (I felt nice)

Edit:

Once I can afford a new socket-775 motherboard I'm building a 3rd server out of the spare parts.

Intel Q6600 G0 2.4GHz
    G.Skill 2x2GB PC2-6400
    Corsair 2x2GB PC2-6400
    2x80GB of some random brand
    1x500GB Samsung F1(3?)

Gonna use it for hosting a few CSS servers, 2 on each of the 80GB
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,079 Posts
    Well I have 2 servers. My home server and my VPS.
    My home server is running an AMD Athlon X2 4200+, 3GB DDR, old 7600GT (It's a repurposed gaming PC) and about 300GB Total storage.
    My VPS runs on 2 Xeon E5507's, Shared of course, 256MB RAM 512MB Burst, 20GB Storage and 350GB Bandwidth. Got it from SecuredSpeed with a discount. So far they have been great, good speeds, great support and so on. It feels like I'm the only person on the box though with my VPS because I always have the 512MB Available.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,896 Posts
    I have a server under my bed

It's running a gmod server and two minecraft servers, and I also use it as a NAS with the windows folder sharing thing. I plan to say goodbye to the gmod server and switch to a mini-itx Atom board to save power and use the current hardware for less overkill things. I'm probably also gonna switch to linux.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    1. How big are those MC servers? Users, Map size, etc
    2. How much bandwidth does it use a month?
    3. Could a netbook run a MC server? I upgraded my mom to a nice quad core laptop but her old netbook is now worthless.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,896 Posts
    1) The main one is a pretty big one, we just started a save and moved when we were bored, so you can go back and find really old houses which is pretty nice. The map is 255MB and 39 people are whitelisted. However, the limit of people on the server is 5 and it is pretty rare that it gets hit. Some periods it's pretty popular, but other time it's just idling for weeks.
    2) I have no clue, but my upload speed is a completelycrappyandshitty 1Mbps and when more than 5 people play on the server at once it starts to lag.
    3) If you use a lightweight OS and the netbook has at least 1GB ram, I'm pretty sure it can.

28. Post #28
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    Dennab
    August 2010
    7,138 Posts
    The idea you made that a gif is totally fucking brilliant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    1) The main one is a pretty big one, we just started a save and moved when we were bored, so you can go back and find really old houses which is pretty nice. The map is 255MB and 39 people are whitelisted. However, the limit of people on the server is 5 and it is pretty rare that it gets hit. Some periods it's pretty popular, but other time it's just idling for weeks.
    2) I have no clue, but my upload speed is a completelycrappyandshitty 1Mbps and when more than 5 people play on the server at once it starts to lag.
    3) If you use a lightweight OS and the netbook has at least 1GB ram, I'm pretty sure it can.
    Can you run some sort of bandwidth monitor and track it for a month please? I get 250gb per month total of bandwidth at comcast and want to perhaps start a server. I have a Q6600 + 680i LT board that I could use for the server but it would use up some power I bet. Though I could make the server completely remote with a small SSD and fanless PSU.

Or at my job we have a lot of old computers, I could probably use one of those and retrofit it to be fanless I bet, though recently we've been throwing away a lot of GX260's.

30. Post #30
    December 2009
    8,977 Posts
    How do you guys even stand the noise when you have constant computers running in your room?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,906 Posts
    How do you guys even stand the noise when you have constant computers running in your room?
    Fanless/low RPM fans and silent hdd's.
    And the obligatory tape over the power and HDD led's

32. Post #32
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,079 Posts
    I'm used to it.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,896 Posts
    It's fucking quiet, I bought an aftermarket fan and you can't hear anything but a slight hum (from the hdd) if you listen after it.

34. Post #34
    December 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Hey guys, a friend and I (And sometimes a few others) often play over my local connection at my place, and I figured that demand is enough for me to use an old computer laying in my closet for a dedi server, instead of me dropping all of the clients every time I've got stuff to take care of- Since I usually just run a listen server. Any recommendations on a light-weight server OS (preferably with a GUI) that'll run any sort of UT2K4 dedicated/Source dedicated server software? (Not at the same time, but we alternate between the two every once and a while.)

Server can actually be switched out for something better if you'd recommend it, but the current server candidate is using a P4 Dual Core @ 2Ghz with 2Gb of memory. Oh, and I suppose if it matters, it uses an 80GB HDD at the moment.

Edited:

I guess when I switch my motherboard out, I could put my e8400 + p5kpl-cm in the case to fill it's place, that'll give it 4gb of memory and two cores @3GHz to work with.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,274 Posts
    I'm used to it.
    this

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,896 Posts
    Can you run some sort of bandwidth monitor and track it for a month please?
    well, it's not very popular at the moment, and I'm pretty sure a bandwidth monitor would count network sharing data as well, so the number would be quite inaccurate

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,906 Posts
    Hey guys, a friend and I (And sometimes a few others) often play over my local connection at my place, and I figured that demand is enough for me to use an old computer laying in my closet for a dedi server, instead of me dropping all of the clients every time I've got stuff to take care of- Since I usually just run a listen server. Any recommendations on a light-weight server OS (preferably with a GUI) that'll run any sort of UT2K4 dedicated/Source dedicated server software? (Not at the same time, but we alternate between the two every once and a while.)

Server can actually be switched out for something better if you'd recommend it, but the current server candidate is using a P4 Dual Core @ 2Ghz with 2Gb of memory. Oh, and I suppose if it matters, it uses an 80GB HDD at the moment.

Edited:

I guess when I switch my motherboard out, I could put my e8400 + p5kpl-cm in the case to fill it's place, that'll give it 4gb of memory and two cores @3GHz to work with.
    Well both UT2K4 and pretty much all Source dedicated servers have Linux binaries, so it's just a matter of picking a lightweight yet easy to use and functional Linux Distro & Desktop Environment combo

Depending on your taste you have the choice between XFCE4 and LXDE.
    Both are very lightweight yet still easy to learn and functional.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,274 Posts
    I wouldn't use a P4 for a source server.

39. Post #39
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    13,776 Posts
    a P4 HT makes a pretty good source server, actually.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,906 Posts
    a P4 HT makes a pretty good source server, actually.
    And space heater.

win/win in the winter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)