1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,468 Posts
    [release]
    Atlanta (CNN) -- Soldiers who just returned from Iraq are among several thousand being ordered to Afghanistan in six months as part of a mission designed to beef up Afghan forces ahead of a planned 2014 U.S. military withdrawal, officials said.News of the pending Afghanistan deployments came as families at bases across the country were celebrating the return in recent days of troops who turned off the lights at a number of U.S. bases ahead of an end-of-the-year deadline to leave Iraq.U.S. general brings Baghdad standard home"We are glad that we have brought all soldiers back home in time for Christmas to spend with loved ones. We do have to put information out about an upcoming mission, though," the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, said Tuesday on its Facebook Page.In the posting, the brigade said it was one of four selected to "support a Security Force Assistance Mission to Afghanistan in early summer."
    U.S. troops come home for holidays

Afghanistant's Karzai on NATO

McCain says Iraq unraveling fast

NATO forces train Afghan troops
    "We just received initial planning orders so lots of details are unknown," it said. "...The mission is part of the transition from combat operations to advisory mission as we did in Iraq and is a sign of progress."Analysts: Questions remain as U.S. troops leave IraqMaj. Carla Thomas, a brigade spokeswoman, confirmed the validity of the Facebook announcement.The new mission is part of an overall U.S. military exit strategy from Afghanistan that moves troops from a combat role to advise-and-assist positions that commanders and analysts say will significantly scale back operations ahead of President Barack Obama's self-imposed deadline to leave the country.Earlier this year, the United States outlined its plan to withdraw its troops, beginning by pulling 33,000 "surge" troops deployed to help quell the violence by the end of 2012. The remaining 68,000 troops would be withdrawn by the end of 2014.News of the deployments comes as the Obama administration pushes to accelerate the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, a plan that many military commanders have said is unreasonable in a country still trying to gain its security footing."I don't think we are going to turn around guys who spent time in Iraq and put them on planes to Afghanistan ... without there being a clear indication that the Obama administration wants to continue the acceleration of the withdrawal," said Bill Roggio, Editor of The Long War Journal & Senior Fellow at The Foundation for Defense of Democracies."U.S. commanders want to stop with the withdrawal of the 33,000 (surge troops.) They want to halt it."Marine Corps Gen. John Allen, commander of the International Security Assistance Force, has said he would like to keep a U.S. "military presence" in Afghanistan beyond 2014 when NATO is scheduled to withdraw its forces. Allen suggested the presence could last as long as 2016 when the Afghan Air Force is completed.
    Exclusive: Taliban attack caught on tape

The future of Iraq

U.S. mission in Iraq ends

Images tell stories of Iraq war
    Allen told reporters last week there is "no daylight" between him and the White House on this idea. Allen said he wants to shift the U.S. presence to an advisory capacity in the coming months and then continue to do that mission after 2014.Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has asked Allen to review the counterinsurgency strategy and determine what changes are needed. Allen said he has to complete the review before he can decide on the rate of drawdown of current U.S. force levels.The new mission in Afghanistan somewhat mirrors the U.S. exit strategy in Iraq, which used advise and assist teams to improve counterterrorism operations and train security forces.Just like in Iraq, small teams of American troops will work and live among security forces, and will help coordinate military operations, according to comments Allen made to reporters last week.In its Facebook posting, the 4th Brigade Combat Team said those who would be deployed in advise-and-assist roles would be senior enlisted personnel, ranging from master sergeants to colonels.The deployment was expected to last nine months, though it was unclear how many members of the brigade will deploy.Also being deployed are troops from the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division from Fort Stewart, Georgia; the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division from Fort Carson, Colorado; and the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.The brigade deployments were first reported this week by Stars and Stripes, a newspaper that caters to military personnel.Under an Army policy, troops are given one month of dwell time for every month they are deployed. In the case of 1st Armored Division's brigade, which returned in December after less than six months in Iraq, its soldiers could be sent to Afghanistan as early as May.The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment. Messages left early Wednesday by CNN at public affairs offices at the 3rd Infantry Division, the 4th Infantry Division and the 101st Airborne Division were not immediately returned.Reactions at Fort Bliss were mixed with some soldiers and families telling CNN by telephone that they were resigned to the specter of an Afghanistan deployment, while others said they were surprised elements of the brigade would be deployed so soon after returning from Iraq.None of the soldiers or their family members were willing to be quoted, citing possible repercussions over speaking to the media without prior approval.Responses to the brigade's Facebook post, though, revealed the feelings of spouses and family members."All we can do is enjoy the time we have with them," one person wrote.Another wrote: "Not even home a week. How sad."Questions remain about the stability of Afghan forces, with some questioning whether an Iraq-style exit strategy can work in Afghanistan."Given that we are 10 years into this, my confidence level is pretty low that we can turn the Afghan forces around," Roggio said.Taliban must have clear representative for peace talks, Karzai saysThe U.S.-led war in Afghanistan began October 7, 2001, with an air campaign that was followed within weeks by a ground invasion. President Barack Obama has called it "the longest-running war in the nation's history".As the United States turned its attention toward Iraq, insurgent violence in Afghanistan flared against Afghan civilians and security forces as well as the U.S. and its coalition partners.In 2009, President Obama authorized a surge of 33,000 U.S. troops to Afghanistan to combat the violence.Earlier this year, the president announced a plan to withdraw its troops. The move was followed by withdrawal announcements by most of the NATO nations.[/release]

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/21/wo...html?hpt=hp_t3

They deserve some rest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Friendly Friendly x 103Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2009
    1,886 Posts
    While it sucks that they aren't getting much rest, it's the soldiers life, you go where you are told when you are told. I feel worse for the families' of the soldiers, who had to worry about their loved ones dying overseas, who come home, and have to ship out again to an equally shitty place.

I hate the Middle East, and I wish the United States had never gone over there in force.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 67Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2009
    308 Posts
    My heart goes out to them. Hopefully, they all get back home safe after the posting in Afghan
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

April 2011
    7,500 Posts
    Damn, that sucks.

5. Post #5
    November 2008
    976 Posts
    This was predictable, poor soldiers. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    7,796 Posts
    Out of Afganistan by 2012
    Into Iran by 2013
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 74 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,654 Posts
    While it sucks that they aren't getting much rest, it's the soldiers life, you go where you are told when you are told. I feel worse for the families' of the soldiers, who had to worry about their loved ones dying overseas, who come home, and have to ship out again to an equally shitty place.

I hate the Middle East, and I wish the United States had never gone over there in force.
    The guys there would've probably make a large war with an element of surprise anyway, claiming for their "religious beliefs".
    I don't know, just seems to me that could have happen.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,161 Posts
    Happy Xmas (War is Over) at least for Iraq.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,243 Posts
    I can remember someone posting this as a sarcastic joke in the thread about the soldiers leaving, ironic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

10. Post #10
    I'LL NEVER STOP
    Dennab
    July 2008
    2,667 Posts
    I somehow knew this would happen just not this soon.

11. Post #11

Dennab
    May 2006
    9,120 Posts
    Hey, at least it's in 6 months and not immediately. Did they really expect not to get sent back out? What else would the military be paying them for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,357 Posts
    Such is the life of a soldier i suppose.

13. Post #13
    August 2008
    256 Posts
    My dads currently in Afghanistan. From what he said, the country is essentially a shithole that will fall apart once NATO withdraws. The "police" cant do shit. Taliban doesnt fight conventionally, but strikes and runs, as they dont have enough weapons to engage the army. They have max. 15 minutes to fight, after that, air support comes and blows them up. So most of the deaths are from IEDs, which are a bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 14Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,566 Posts
    Next will probably be Iran, we will probably be in the Middle East untill the 20's.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    8,899 Posts
    My dads currently in Afghanistan. From what he said, the country is essentially a shithole that will fall apart once NATO withdraws. The "police" cant do shit. Taliban doesnt fight conventionally, but strikes and runs, as they dont have enough weapons to engage the army. They have max. 15 minutes to fight, after that, air support comes and blows them up. So most of the deaths are from IEDs, which are a bitch.
    Afghanistan has the most trained and "skilled" Taliban though, these guys have been fighting for years and been repelling invaders for years. Afghanistan historically has been that country that can't be taken over. The bomb makers are by far the most clever and smart makers, a lot of the shit they make is fairly sophisticated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,044 Posts
    I don't like how the United States is the world police Country.

It fucking pisses me off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32Funny Funny x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    4,772 Posts
    I get fairly confused when people say "aww give 'em a rest", I mean, yes they deserve a rest, but they went into this job knowing this kind of shit would happen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,042 Posts
    I can remember someone posting this as a sarcastic joke in the thread about the soldiers leaving, ironic.
    I remember hearing that this was pretty much Obama's plan anyway. Not sure where I heard it from, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,271 Posts
    Such is life in America... Oh wait...

20. Post #20
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    19,075 Posts
    What does your dad do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    9,382 Posts
    I don't like how the United States thinks it's the world police Country.

ftfy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    December 2010
    945 Posts
    but guys if we dont the terrorists win

23. Post #23
    July 2011
    1,544 Posts
    Say that to the Vietnamese.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    8,619 Posts
    We ended one war to escalate another.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    December 2010
    945 Posts
    I can't believe anyone volunteers for this bullshit corporate oil war
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    19,075 Posts
    There's no oil in Afghanistan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing x 20Disagree x 2Dumb x 1Funny x 1Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2007
    105 Posts
    Hash oil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    DANCE YOU FOOLS
    November 2007
    2,172 Posts
    I also have family in Afghanistan, and all of them said that the Afghan Security Forces (not the police) are actually fairly competent, much more so than they were in 2001-2006. There is still much work to be done and many problems plague the country, but it has gotten better.

29. Post #29
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    17,495 Posts
    saw this coming from a mile away

can't wait to continue wasting money and lives in Afghanistan

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,860 Posts
    God bless 'Merica.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,823 Posts
    If only the CIA hadn't been such assholes back in the Cold War to Afghanistan (overthrowing a democracy to create a puppet ruler). Maybe the Middle East wouldn't be pissed at us.

Also, maybe giving resistance fighters/extremists weapons and training to fight the Soviets was not the best idea, considering they're using them against us now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,082 Posts

I think Team America: World Police sums up what America probably looks like right now to other certain countries. Only, obviously not as dramatic and definitely more serious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    August 2010
    1,204 Posts
    seems to be turning into less of a war and more just US trying to control the middle east.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,481 Posts
    Out of Afganistan by 2012
    Into Iran by 2013
    Iran into 2013.

Sorry..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    February 2008
    1,356 Posts
    Didnt Obama get the Nobel peace prize because he was gonna stop the war in Afghanistan or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,823 Posts
    Didnt Obama get the Nobel peace prize because he was gonna stop the war in Afghanistan or something?
    Even Obama doesn't know why he got the Nobel peace prize.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 2Starred Starred x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Skeepan Member
    September 2007
    4,770 Posts
    Did you guys really think they were coming home for good? Were only pulling out of Iraq, not the entire Middle East.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    January 2006
    5,144 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

39. Post #39
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    Guys, please.

The U.S isn't the only country in the Sandbox right now.

United States
    United Kingdom
    Germany
    France
    Poland
    Romania
    Turkey
    Australia
    Spain
    Afghanistan

It's not just the U.S. Quit acting like the US is the only one to blame for everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 3Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,263 Posts
    Opium.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)