1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,468 Posts
    [release]
    James Franco’s tired James Dean act got an NYU professor booted from the school last year — after the teacher dared to give the overhyped Hollywood hunk a “D” for blowing off class, a lawsuit charges.José Angel Santana said he slapped the “127 Hours’’ star with the bad grade because he missed 12 of his 14 “Directing the Actor II” classes while pursuing a master’s in fine arts.Santana said he then suffered all kinds of drama — first from Franco, who publicly ridiculed him, then from his department, which axed him over the “D.”“The school has bent over backwards to create a Franco-friendly environment, that’s for sure,” Santana, 58, told The Post. “The university has done everything in its power to curry favor with James Franco.”ROBERT MILLER
    José Angel Santana

Santana, who is suing NYU in Manhattan Supreme Court for his job back, asserts that Franco, whose career took off after a 2001 portrayal of James Dean, acted like a rebel without a clue in his other courses, too, blowing off just as many classes. But the star’s other professors at NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts still gave him good grades, Santana said.Big names such as Franco’s typically translate into big bucks for universities.After his student gig, Franco, 33, wound up teaching an NYU course this past fall on adapting poetry into short films.Santana suggested that the good grades Franco received were payback to the actor for hiring one of his other professors, Jay Anania.Franco hired Anania to write and direct the film “William Vincent,” which starred Franco, the suit states. The film was featured at the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival.“In my opinion, they’ve turned the NYU graduate film degree into swag for James Franco’s purposes, a possession, something you can buy,” Santana said.Santana also blasted the graduate film department chairman, John Tintori, for allegedly creating a conflict of interest when he appeared in a cameo in a film financed by Franco and written and directed by Anania, the court records reveal.Neither Anania, Tintori nor a spokesman for NYU returned calls for comment. A rep for Franco had no immediate comment.And Santana griped that Franco got it all wrong when, speaking out about his grade, he asserted that the professor had a problem having a celebrity in his class.“I did the work,” Franco told Showbiz411.com last year. “I did well in everything else.”Santana’s lawyer, Matthew Blit, a notable employment lawyer, said Franco was trying to cast the prof as a fool for giving a Golden Globe-winning actor a bad grade.Santana is not the only one unmoved by Franco’s work behind the camera.A Variety magazine review this year of his film “The Broken Tower,” about American writer Hart Crane, blasted Franco’s work as a director as “simply misguided and often quite tedious.”The film is among 13 works — most short films or documentaries — directed by Franco.[/release]

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz1hBTgYB7u

what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Friendly Friendly x 73Starred Starred x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,502 Posts
    Was that seriously necessary

3. Post #3
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,255 Posts
    he missed 12 of his 14 “Directing the Actor II” classes
    No fucking shit he got a D, hell it should be lower than a D, more like a fucking F.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 101 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

May 2010
    6,286 Posts
    Fuck NYU's principal.
    Get a fucking backbone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

5. Post #5
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    10,281 Posts
    Good on him. He did the right thing and I'm glad he's standing by it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2009
    308 Posts
    Damn celebrities!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,867 Posts
    If he takes it to court and gets the other teachers to admit to this and support him, it'll cause one hell of a lot more negative publicity than simply giving him a bad grade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

8. Post #8
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,590 Posts
    Lol, Franco is expecting to pass by not going to his classes, what a dumbass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 33Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,007 Posts
    Uhhh who is James Franco anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,468 Posts
    An actor, known in the spiderman series
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,093 Posts
    Come on James Franco, I actually like you as an actor, don't be a cunt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,195 Posts
    That dude from revenge of the rise of the district of the planet of the apes that can talk to monkies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2008
    1,698 Posts
    Pineapple Express, Saul!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    July 2009
    1,886 Posts
    He should have failed the class if he really missed 12 out of 14. The professor was giving him super special considerations already..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    5,408 Posts
    And here's me nearly getting kicked off my uni course because i missed one lecture as i had to go to the hospital, fuck celebrities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 6 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,823 Posts
    And here's me nearly getting kicked off my uni course because i missed one lecture as i had to go to the hospital, fuck celebrities.
    My sciences teacher had to take his freshman college exams while suffering from severe Lyme disease because they wouldn't let him reschedule.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,254 Posts
    what? seriously?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    October 2007
    342 Posts
    "James Franco’s tired James Dean act got an NYU professor booted from the school last year — after the teacher dared to give the overhyped Hollywood hunk a “D” for blowing off class"
    I think that teacher wrote the article.

19. Post #19
    January 2011
    135 Posts
    snip

20. Post #20
    retarded faggot
    January 2008
    1,207 Posts
    what? seriously?
    Yeah, it's easy as hell to fail a class over one missed assignment or lecture.

I barely passed a chemistry class with a C because I missed a day of labwork that couldn't be made up, even though I got 98% on my final and never missed an assignment other than the one time.

And he made off with a D going to a class twice.

Huh.

first from Franco, who publicly ridiculed him,
    Wow, he seems like a douche. He honestly expected the teacher to just pass him despite him never showing up?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,823 Posts

I barely passed a chemistry class with a C because I missed a day of labwork that couldn't be made up, even though I got 98% on my final and never missed an assignment other than the one time.

Huh.

Wow, he seems like a douche. He honestly expected the teacher to just pass him despite him never showing up?
    It's called people who are spoiled and self-entitled; the scourge of modern-day America's youth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22

March 2008
    487 Posts
    No fucking shit he got a D, hell it should be lower than a D, more like a fucking F.
    An F

for "Franco"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,098 Posts
    Franco's a fucking dick, I got suspended from school for a week because I missed an important exam, because I was almost lethally ill!

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    17,924 Posts
    It is?

I got Cs in art history and mechanics because I went to maybe 10 classes between them this semester.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,823 Posts
    It is?

I got Cs in art history and mechanics because I went to maybe 10 classes between them this semester.
    Depends on the college/university you go to. If they're more prestigious, they'll get on your ass for missing one class because 1. it makes them look bad and 2. they have high standards for students. Otherwise...

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,254 Posts

Huh.
    That seems truly insane. It's not at all like that at my university, if you missed one or two lectures nobody would give a shit (they only start to care once you go below ~80% attendance), and if you have a good excuse (illness etc.) you can miss a lab or two and they'll discount it from the final grade, at least in the first year.

27. Post #27
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,053 Posts
    he used to be one of my favorite actors

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    290 Posts
    It seems like nowadays, it's all about the money. Kind of sad, really.

29. Post #29
    August 2007
    667 Posts
    Depends on the college/university you go to. If they're more prestigious, they'll get on your ass for missing one class because 1. it makes them look bad and 2. they have high standards for students. Otherwise...
    Not true. Most of my classes allow me to miss around 5 or 6 classes. The exception was chemistry lab where if you missed more than 1 it'd deduct 5 points of your final chem lab grade (which was a test grade in the regular class). We're pretty prestigious and have very high standards for students (Clemson, #25 public university in the US)
    Hell, I've had a few classes where they wouldn't even care if you showed up to anything but exams.

30. Post #30
    smelly member
    June 2005
    6,909 Posts
    It seems like nowadays, it's all about the money. Kind of sad, really.
    Misread as monkey.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    December 2009
    151 Posts
    University drama is the best drama in my opinion

32. Post #32
    June 2008
    622 Posts
    James Franco himself teaches at NYU. Albeit, as a guest speaker.

I really want to go to NYU for cinematography. This doesn't help at all.

Ok I didn't read the bottom part of the article.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,233 Posts
    They probably let him get away with this shit since it's a huge boost to the school.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    692 Posts
    At least he attended his classes at Colombia.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

35. Post #35
    February 2008
    1,356 Posts
    I don't understand how this could even happen... How does anyone get fired for giving bad grades to bad students?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,485 Posts
    I don't understand how this could even happen... How does anyone get fired for giving bad grades to bad students?
    Because money

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts
    It's called people who are spoiled and self-entitled; the scourge of modern-day America's youth.
    How the hell is this related to youth
    James Franco is fucking 33

Go watch Matlock or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

38. Post #38
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,424 Posts
    Ah yes, 'scourge of the youth'. Sure is good to generalize an entire age group, isn't it?

39. Post #39
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,325 Posts
    Pineapple Express, Saul!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,823 Posts
    Ah yes, 'scourge of the youth'. Sure is good to generalize an entire age group, isn't it?
    You'll notice that I wasn't calling youth itself a scourge. I was calling those who are "spoiled and self-entitled" among the youth a scourge.