1. Post #1
    WE'VE GOT DODGSON HERE!
    August 2005
    1,652 Posts
    http://orlandounited.com/2011/12/02/...anuary-2-2012/

The news was first broken by “The Jaws Ride” on Twitter and Facebook. The site has always been quite reliable when it comes to news and information revolving around the attraction. Several people also commented on their status confirming this report. One comment stated that the news was confirmed in an employee meeting this morning and that official confirmation should be released around 11 AM EST today.

Universal Orlando has officially confirmed the closure on Facebook. Here’s their official statement:
    Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we’re planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it’s a VERY important part of our history. So, we’ve got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it’s hard to say goodbye, but we can’t express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we’re going to be bringing you.
    Though the news may come as a surprise to many, there have been rumors revolving around an expansion of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter taking Jaws’ place for months now. Not only that, but rumors of the ride simply closing in general have been around for months, if not years.

Jaws was one of the final classic attraction left at Universal Studios Florida following the closures of several attractions such as Back to the Future and Kongfrontation. The attraction also had its own land in the park making this news even more interesting.

At this time, there is no official confirmation on what will replace the attraction, but stay tuned for more updates on the closure.
    So passes one of the classic iconic attractions at a park that is only a shell of it's former self. This was one of the staples of my childhood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 64Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    18,948 Posts
    Good god that ride scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Edited:

For those that have never been on:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 20Friendly x 13Funny x 6Informative x 2Starred x 2Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I LOVE Grand Theft Auto
    Dennab
    July 2010
    4,930 Posts
    I guess jaws    Just bit into his last hook   

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Zing x 30Friendly x 3Disagree x 2Funny x 2Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1Starred x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Sometimes i fall down :(
    July 2008
    3,305 Posts
    Shame, they closed the Wild Wild West Stunt show, ET and the original King Kong, Back to the Future attractions at Universal Studios Hollywood. Now they're doing the same in Florida, all those classic rides :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,471 Posts
    I wish they still had that old King Kong ride. That was boss way back in the day.

Eh, at least the Return of the Mummy ride that replaced it after a good 6-8 years was fairly good.

Shame, they closed the Wild Wild West Stunt show, ET and the original King Kong, Back to the Future attractions at Universal Studios Hollywood. Now they're doing the same in Florida, all those classic rides :(
    They're getting rid of ET, too?

Damn... there goes part of my childhood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,371 Posts
    Thank god my parents took me to ride all those at an age where I can remember them vividly.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,448 Posts
    Jaws scared the shit out of me as a child.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    RAVEPANTIES
    March 2008
    3,226 Posts
    Noooo!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,317 Posts
    Aww, I enjoyed that ride, was very wonderful when I went there a few years back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,220 Posts
    Oh man, I loved that ride. I had so much memories, I remember crying the first time I rode it as a kid.

Edited:

I wonder whats gonna happen to Amity, please turn it into Hill Valley. And maybe even bring back BTTF. That would make me cream my pants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    pg.
    September 2011
    322 Posts
    It's inevitable, they have to make rides for their newer movies. Kids aren't going to relate to jaws and ET like they would to Harry Potter and whatever they relate too. I remember that ride though, scared the shit out me when he popped out of the water.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    5,910 Posts
    i went to the one at disney a fucking long time ago wish i could go back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    churboi austin
    Dennab
    October 2007
    14,715 Posts
    why does a ride have a twitter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Funny Funny x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    13,948 Posts
    Another one bites the dust
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    My FaVoRiTe CoLoR <3
    August 2006
    4,705 Posts
    i went to the one at disney a fucking long time ago wish i could go back
    Disney? What ride are you talking about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

16. Post #16
    October 2009
    3,515 Posts
    Damn, and I wanted to go there just for that ride.

17. Post #17
    August 2009
    4,181 Posts
    my family never took my to any cool parks. I've been to six flags and a few local amusement parks. I missed out on a lot in my childhood
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,951 Posts
    I remember riding this, I also remember this guy jumping and spilling shit all over himself and the person next to him.

Good times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,471 Posts
    Damn, and I wanted to go there just for that ride.
    It's still not too late, if you can manage to get there before the New Year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    5,843 Posts
    I am soooooo glad I was there 2 summers ago.

I rode it 3 times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    4,446 Posts
    I remember being terrified as a kid because someone told me that the shark literally attacked the boat and it snapped in half at one point in the ride. Being at a young and impressionable age, I think that it was understandable.

At least there will still be that awesome Jurassic Park ride at Islands of Adventure. However, it drives the point further that the Orlando Park really isn't worth checking out anymore compared to Islands, except for that awesome Men in Black ride, but that isn't even "classic".

EDIT: I still won't forgive them for getting rid of the Back to the Future ride. I don't even remember it that well, but it's fucking Back to the Future. For shame Universal.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,321 Posts
    Smile you son of a-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    OvB
    March 2007
    18,948 Posts
    I remember being terrified as a kid because someone told me that the shark literally attacked the boat and it snapped in half at one point in the ride. Being at a young and impressionable age, I think that it was understandable.

At least there will still be that awesome Jurassic Park ride at Islands of Adventure. However, it drives the point further that the Orlando Park really isn't worth checking out anymore compared to Islands, except for that awesome Men in Black ride.
    I was told it was a real shark. Thought I was going to literally die.

When I saw that sinking tour boat I nearly shat myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Starred Starred x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,951 Posts

At least there will still be that awesome Jurassic Park ride at Islands of Adventure. However, it drives the point further that the Orlando Park really isn't worth checking out anymore compared to Islands, except for that awesome Men in Black ride.
    The Mummy ride is pretty awesome too.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    7,637 Posts
    I'm honestly not surprised by the news.

I rode that ride for the very first time when I was 7; which was also the first time I had ever even gone to Universal.
    I absolutely loved it.

Over the years as I kept going back to the park and eventually going to ride it again, it kept getting more and more dull... Not just because we had already ridden the ride, but also because of the people doing the acting on the boats.

I rode it again just this last summer when I went back and the experience was down right abysmal.
    The person doing the acting on the boat had absolutely no enthusiasm, messed up a few of the parts, and for whatever reason, finished a couple of minutes before we even got back to the dock to exit.

It had a very good run. But I think it's about time it passed.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member

August 2006
    1,336 Posts
    Woah, ET is getting closed? My grandfather helped design the lights in the Florida ride.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    GET OUT OF OUR CODE YOU FILTHY HACKERS 8-) BITCHES
    July 2009
    3,577 Posts
    Just rode them all last year, had a blast

The Jurrassic Park boat ride scared me shitless

28. Post #28
    The Doctor Is In
    September 2009
    20,122 Posts
    Aw man, this was one of my favorite rides there. :(

29. Post #29
    OvB
    March 2007
    18,948 Posts
    I'm honestly not surprised by the news.

I rode that ride for the very first time when I was 7; which was also the first time I had ever even gone to Universal.
    I absolutely loved it.

Over the years as I kept going back to the park and eventually going to ride it again, it kept getting more and more dull... Not just because we had already ridden the ride, but also because of the people doing the acting on the boats.

I rode it again just this last summer when I went back and the experience was down right abysmal.
    The person doing the acting on the boat had absolutely no enthusiasm, messed up a few of the parts, and for whatever reason, finished a couple of minutes before we even got back to the dock to exit.

It had a very good run. But I think it's about time it passed.
    Rides that have stuff jump out at you loose their effect if you ride it too many times. Doesn't have the "OH SHI-" feel. That's why these type of rides can't stay up forever. They loose their effect and repeat customers get bored of them.

30. Post #30
    Sometimes i fall down :(
    July 2008
    3,305 Posts
    Woah, ET is getting closed? My grandfather helped design the lights in the Florida ride.
    Not sure about the florida one, the closed the hollywood one in the early 2000. But with the trend of closing down older attractions, I would not doubt it.

31. Post #31
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    4,446 Posts
    I was told it was a real shark. Thought I was going to literally die.

When I saw that sinking tour boat I nearly shat myself.
    Oh you went on still? I didn't ride that thing until years later when I returned to conquer my fears.

Speaking of scary rides...if you never experienced ExtraTERRORestrial at Disney World before they replaced it in 2003, you missed one of the most terrifying experiences ever. I'm just going from my terrified memories and research online to make sure I just didn't make it up but it consisted of an alien escaping, breathing down your neck, licking your head, killing/attacking one of the actors with the blood hitting you (Up to the person's imagination on this, I always thought it was blood, though some could think it's the Alien's drool). All of this in a nearly pitch black room, with flashing lights and fog. I often joked around whoever made that ride just hated children and wanted to see as many of them crying as possible.

Literally one of the best experiences of my childhood looking back on it now, even if it caused me terrible psychological scarring. They replaced it instead with a lame Lilo and Stitch ride where Stitch is the alien who escapes and burps in your face, with such a terrible odor it leaves you begging for death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    5,843 Posts
    They replaced it instead with a lame Lilo and Stitch ride where Stitch is the alien who escapes and burps in your face, with such a terrible odor it leaves you begging for death.
    It smells like a mixture of coffee grounds and rotten potatoes.

Eughgguh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,804 Posts
    my family never took my to any cool parks. I've been to six flags and a few local amusement parks. I missed out on a lot in my childhood
    You totally missed out on standing in line for an hour for a 30 second ride.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    7,637 Posts
    Not sure about the florida one, the closed the hollywood one in the early 2000. But with the trend of closing down older attractions, I would not doubt it.
    I haven't heard any news about the ET ride in the Florida park yet.

No doubt that ride will be shutting down too in the next few years sadly.

Edited:

You totally missed out on standing in line for an hour for a 30 second ride.
    Except for when you stay at the Portofino Bay or Hard Rock resorts on site and get to use your room key to cut the ENTIRE LINE and skip straight to the front ;)

There were only a couple of rides (Attractions really) in the entire Universal and Islands parks where you couldn't do that and they weren't even that fun.

35. Post #35
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    4,446 Posts
    It smells like a mixture of coffee grounds and rotten potatoes.

Eughgguh
    All I know is that I never want to ride it again. To be fair it still utilizes a lot of stuff that ExtraTERRORestrial used, and I'm sure that if I was 10 again I would have preferred riding it, but it's still sad to see that something so awesome had to be killed off.

But yeah, that stench was so bad, I would never ride it again; I feel pity towards whatever unfortunate fellows have to experience that everyday. Disney should give them medals for bravery.

36. Post #36
    GET OUT OF OUR CODE YOU FILTHY HACKERS 8-) BITCHES
    July 2009
    3,577 Posts
    Except for when you stay at the Portofino Bay or Hard Rock resorts on site and get to use your room key to cut the ENTIRE LINE and skip straight to the front ;)
    Oh man, this was a godsend
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    4,446 Posts
    Also, I hate to go on about how awesome ExtraTERRORestrial was, but I just learned now that while the ride was heavily inspired by the Alien series, it started off literally as an "Alien" ride.

On this proposed attraction, visitors would have rolled through the darkened corridors of the Nostromo -- the spaceship Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) piloted in the first "Alien" film -- riding inside of heavily armored vehicles. Armed with laser cannons, these folks were supposedly on a rescue mission. Their goal was to find the missing members of Nostromo's crew as well as rid the spaceship of all alien intruders.
    These same Imagineers were also troubled by the image of children blasting space monsters with laser cannons. "Walt would never have approved of a ride like this," they grumbled. So WDI's first stab at an "Alien" attraction ended up being blown out an airlock.
    I would probably have a boner riding that now. Of course my imagination pictures it literally like the movie, with aliens exploding and everything, it still would have rocked.

SOURCE

38. Post #38
    December 2010
    1,839 Posts
    If they even think of closing the Jurassic Park ride..............
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

39. Post #39
    December 2009
    1,428 Posts
    Not related to JAWS, but Disney needs to open a new park sometime soon. With the Wizarding World eating up a lot of their old customers they actually need to get something new other than the upcoming Princess Land thing.

I mean they have TRON, and maaaaybe licensing for Studio Ghibli stuff, I'm not entirely sure. Throw an exciting TRON ride in EPCOT or hell make an entire park out of TRON. Call it The Grid. Fuckin a' I'd practically live there. Sure it would probably age terribly but still give us something. Or imagine what they could do with a Ghibli themed park, sure it doesn't have a huge American audience, but it could pretty damn cool.

At least the parks are in much better shape than the Universal Studios park is, at least they have the awesome Adventure Island still.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    4,446 Posts
    It takes a lot of money to open new parks, and Animal Kingdom is still relatively new (96' I believe).

Still, Disney owns so much land in Orlando, they could open as many parks/hotels as they want. I wish I remember the exact figures and wasn't so lazy so I could look it up, but I know it's absurd compared to how little space they actually have built on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)