1. Post #41
    Dennab
    March 2009
    5,319 Posts
    Fun fact, none of those jets can reach Libya and return, also it's amusing you listed the Mig-21 there as if that's in anyway is scary
    Syria also has aerial tankers. As for the Mig-21 I had six words so I needed six planes.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,601 Posts
    Better equipped and definitely better organized. Also bigger army if I'm not mistaken

Also from wiki
    I don't think they'll have much use for a submarine and anti air against a guerilla uprising

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,600 Posts
    Fun fact, none of those jets can reach Libya and return, also it's amusing you listed the Mig-21 there as if that's in anyway is scary
    Well, they could maintain Syrian skies. I mean, if Libya could even have their jets in Syrian airspace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Air_Force

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Air_Force

The Syrian Air Force page, as you can see, is showing us a more developed air force.

e: as far as developed goes, lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    5,259 Posts
    Unless it is yes...
    No of course it is, it is war.

5. Post #45
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    Aren't Syrian and Libyan tanks are old T-72s? If Libya pits design against design, it's going to be pretty equal [armor wise]. Hopefully NATO can back Libya too.

6. Post #46
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    Well, they could maintain Syrian skies. I mean, if Libya could even have their jets in Syrian airspace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Air_Force

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Air_Force

The Syrian Air Force page, as you can see, is showing us a more developed air force.

e: as far as developed goes, lol
    NATO kinda destroyed most of Libya's airforce. They probably have nothing left at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    13,525 Posts
    NATO kinda destroyed most of Libya's airforce. They probably have nothing left at all.
    And, in typical fashion, we will sell them a new Air Force, and the equipment for a new Army, and the French will sell them guns and Typhoons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    And, in typical fashion, we will sell them a new Air Force, and the equipment for a new Army, and the French will sell them guns and Typhoons.
    Well someone has to buy that shit the French sells.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Needs more suspension.
    February 2006
    5,467 Posts
    Aren't Syrian and Libyan tanks are old T-72s? If Libya pits design against design, it's going to be pretty equal [armor wise]. Hopefully NATO can back Libya too.
    T72s are still extremely lethal- they can fire modern ammunition and are loaded with ERA armor that can defeat NATO APFSDS frontally.

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    16,224 Posts
    Libya doesn't really need new rifles for their army. Their have a shitload of FALs which are great rifles in the first place and they also have a bunch of F2000s and G36s. If anything I could see one of those becoming their service rifle in the future though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Dennab
    June 2009
    2,464 Posts
    gadaffi had made the country much more akin to a first world-state in the last 20 years of his reign, the war with egypt was short lived in comparison to the crusades the west leads against the third world (with similar reasoning). he also recently provided a great deal of reparations to chad, with help for those in poverty and those effected by the campaigns in chad

and any media corporation can 'link' gadaffi to libyan individual extremists bombing places, it's doesnt necessarily mean that it's true. it's like saying whenever a christian extremist performs an act of terror the pope is for blame
    Because he obviously would have never ever done such a thing because he is a man of peace... oh wait

not to mention the fact that various space agencies NEVER picked up any signs of bombing against his own people in libya; why would he do it? he provides a national healthcare service and help for everyone under the libyan flag so killing off protesters is a bit farfetched for him.
    Space Agencies deal with objects hundreds of kilometers in orbit, not low flying attack aircraft

now, you'll see a broken anarchist version of libya run by the military (run by the same generals that called for those wars you kindly mentioned) sending troops and ambassadors left right and centre in order to promote the west's peaceful triumph over an evil dictator, but in reality the west has been doing FAR worse things than gadaffi has been doing. Why not invade somalia? why not choose one of the many dictatorships in africa that are known for being vile and corrupt? notice how the working class did not rebel against the government, and it was mostly unemployed students and youths?
    I'm sorry, but you seem to be mistaking Libya for Egypt, the Libyan military has completely collapsed to the point where the interim government which has taken control over it can't even control petty bands of militias roving even in the heart of Tripoli

Also for your information, Libya has no Generals, and hasn't for over 40 years , only ministers.

As for Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia are already invading it, so who do you want Invaded next?

Edited:

Syria actually has a somewhat modern and huge army.
    Yes but even that is starting to collapse with upwards of 25,000 soldiers defecting already, and engaging in fighting with it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member

May 2010
    2,081 Posts
    Syria has a moderately powerful military, is backed by Iran and Russia, and is willing to do anything. It'd take quite a revolution to overthrow it.

13. Post #53
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,738 Posts
    Because he obviously would have never ever done such a thing because he is a man of peace... oh wait

I'm sorry, but you seem to be mistaking Libya for Egypt, the Libyan military has completely collapsed to the point where the interim government which has taken control over it can't even control petty bands of militias roving even in the heart of Tripoli

Also for your information, Libya has no Generals, and hasn't for over 40 years , only ministers.

As for Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia are already invading it, so who do you want Invaded next?

Edited:

Yes but even that is starting to collapse with upwards of 25,000 soldiers defecting already, and engaging in fighting with it.

i like it how your 'proof' was a picture of someone standing on a french flag and the baseless accusation and assumption that space agencies only deal with things in orbit

stay classy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    13,525 Posts
    Has there been any word on the situation on the ground yet? I've been able to find very little in the way of information, considering the media blackout.

15. Post #55
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    i like it how your 'proof' was a picture of someone standing on a french flag and the baseless accusation and assumption that space agencies only deal with things in orbit

stay classy
    I take it you did not see the videos broadcast and shared in multiple places showing Gaddafi bombing his citizens then?

16. Post #56
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,738 Posts
    I take it you did not see the videos broadcast and shared in multiple places showing Gaddafi bombing his citizens then?
    did you see gadaffis little face in the fighter jets as he mercilessly bombed his citizens

it mustve been wonderful for you to see such an event first hand
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

17. Post #57
    Dennab
    September 2009
    1,006 Posts
    I wouldn't call shelling and invading Egypt in 1977, then invading Chad 4 times (1978, 1979, 1980 and 1983), THEN topping it off by declaring war against the west and bombing Berlin in 1986, and linked to the bombings of Pam Am in 1988 and UTA Flight 772 in 1989 'peaceful' in any fucking definition of the word
    he meant before ghadaffi

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    1,704 Posts

Send in the doom dozer

???

19. Post #59
    Dennab
    June 2009
    2,464 Posts
    Syria also has aerial tankers. As for the Mig-21 I had six words so I needed six planes.
    Since when? Syria has never operated Aerial tankers.

Edited:

stay classy
    How about a quote from 2003?

Brother Leader Gaddafi, addressing Sabha, Libya - October 4 2003 posted:
    Women must be trained to fight in houses, prepare explosive belts and blow themselves up alongside enemy soldiers. Anyone with a car must prepare it and know how to install explosives and turn it into a car-bomb. We must train women to place explosives in cars and blow them up in the midst of enemies, and blow up houses so that they can collapse on enemy soldiers. Traps must be prepared. You have seen how the enemy checks baggage: we must fix these suitcases in order for them to explode when they open them. Women must be taught to place mines in cupboards, bags, shoes, children's toys so that they explode on enemy soldiers.
    Clearly he wants peace

And my question is this, if my accusation is so baseless, explain to me why Space agencies would be monitoring low flying aircraft in a foreign country when their radio radars are only designed for tracking orbiting satellites and space stations except for the radars at the space launch centers which monitor the local air traffic and weather, with the closest such space center being a Israeli Air base a thousand kilometers away from Libya

Edited:

I certainly would not classify it as small. Invading Syria would be like invading Iraq in terms of their military strength.
    Didn't the Invasion of Iraq only last 3 weeks between crossing the border and sacking Baghdad? Not a very good example.

20. Post #60
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts

Didn't the Invasion of Iraq only last 3 weeks between crossing the border and sacking Baghdad? Not a very good example.
    Not to mention they surrendered to helicopters.. He could be referring to the years of fighting afterwards to be honest, I could see that happening Syria.

21. Post #61
    August 2010
    29 Posts

Send in the doom dozer
    Holy shit

22. Post #62
    January 2010
    1,175 Posts
    Hate to be a picky bastard but the French dropped out of the Typhoon project in the 1990s to create their own aircraft, the Rafale. Interestingly the Rafale seems to have turned out to be a better aircraft due to its versatility and adaptability for the Fleet Fighter role. But I won't derail the topic any further.

I hope the Syrian uprising goes the same way as that of Libya. At this point it seems necessary for bloodshed to take place to prevent an even bigger massacre of civilians.

23. Post #63
    Dennab
    March 2009
    5,319 Posts
    Since when? Syria has never operated Aerial tankers.
    My bad, I thought I saw that they used IL-78s, but it turns out it said they used IL-76s, which are not tankers. :)

24. Post #64
    June 2011
    364 Posts
    Syria has lots of jets, but no one knows how to fly the damn things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)