1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,874 Posts
    I think those big-ass suits are the problem. It might be pretty uncomfortable. I think I remember seeing somewhere that some chick designed a new one, way thinner and more comfortable that can be used for mobility in space or whatever.
    It's called a mechanical counter-pressure suit. Uses mechanical pressure from spandex, rather than pneumatic pressure from air to stop you from bloating out.

The concept's not especially new, as we've been dinkering with the idea since the '60s or so. She's just got it close to a usable concept.

Which is pretty big, as the things are superior in every way to the current style.

Relevant links:
    http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacesuits.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...LatexSpaceSuit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,266 Posts
    The OP should take a look at an HIV dissolving compound, carbon nanotube space camouflage, and my personal favorite, waterproof nanoparticle coating that makes everything waterproof.

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    Any AIDS/cancer cures shouldn't get added before they are confirmed to work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,654 Posts
    Any AIDS/cancer cures shouldn't get added before they are confirmed to work.
    Or actually one that won't disappear forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,548 Posts
    AeroGel deserves a spot, I reckon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

Isn't the future just gonna be great?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #46

September 2011
    291 Posts
    AeroGel deserves a spot, I reckon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

Isn't the future just gonna be great?
    Fuck no
    But aerogel is pretty cool.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    Fuck no
    Why not? We're going to have flying cars, man. Flying cars!

8. Post #48

September 2011
    291 Posts
    That virus that was mentioned earlier. Just puts me on edge, knowing that we've created something like that.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    That virus that was mentioned earlier. Just puts me on edge, knowing that we've created something like that.
    Well, think of it this way:
    If that virus escapes the lab we would already have a vaccine against it.

Also, there are a lot more dangerous viruses and poisons locked in some laboratories already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,548 Posts
    Why not? We're going to have flying cars, man. Flying cars!
    I think, if we ever had flying cars, it'd go horribly wrong and thousands would die screaming to Earth.

There's just so much room for error. In fact, if you didn't want everyone to die horribly (since being a trained pilot just to go to work is bullshit), you'd need to have eveything still be like a road, but in the sky. And since that negates the purpose of a flying car, you'd have to go with the one advantage left to you; you can stack them in rows of roads in the skies.

But then if anyone, say, runs out of fuel, rests their arm in slightly the wrong way, or otherwise does something stupid, everyone below them dies. And unless you want to have increased fuel consumption without proportionate amounts of people on the road, there would be a lot of people stacked on top and below you, all of whom have literally no chance of rescue if anyone fucks up, ever, as well as a near 100% mortality rate (unless you can survive falling a mile in a metal coffin, onto concrete).

And that's why flying cars will exterminate the human race.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    People with drivers licenses crashes. I don't see what is wrong with that. Also, flying cars would most likely be controlled by a computer.

12. Post #52

September 2011
    291 Posts
    People with drivers licenses crashes. I don't see what is wrong with that. Also, flying cars would most likely be controlled by a computer.
    So what? Completely unpilotable flying cars? That's like having semi-privatised public transport. Where's the fun in that?

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    Car surfing!

14. Post #54

September 2011
    291 Posts
    Car surfing!
    You've been watching Minority Report, haven't you?

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,654 Posts
    You've been watching Minority Report, haven't you?
    4 Words:
    Saints Row the Third.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56

September 2011
    291 Posts
    4 Words:
    Saints Row the Third.
    Oh. What with us discussing the future and flying cars, you spontaneously suggesting car surfing brought that scene to mind.

17. Post #57
    Morris dancer/Sex champion
    May 2011
    4,615 Posts
    James May did a show on this a while ago, there's a backpack helicopter in japan with tilt controls, although I wouldn't enjoy the sky being full of them.

18. Post #58

September 2011
    291 Posts
    James May did a show on this a while ago, there's a backpack helicopter in japan with tilt controls, although I wouldn't enjoy the sky being full of them.

First thing that came to mind when I saw your post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    Oh. What with us discussing the future and flying cars, you spontaneously suggesting car surfing brought that scene to mind.
    It was a obviously a joke, but it why would you want excitement 500 meters above the ground?

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,654 Posts
    It was a obviously a joke, but it why would you want excitement 500 meters above the ground?
    Why would you want to jump off a plane with a parachute and fall down to the Earth?

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,044 Posts
    Why would you want to go to space.

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    Because space is awesome as well as zero gravity. Should probably mention terraforming of mars in the OP even through making an atmosphere would take more than 100 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #63
    Morris dancer/Sex champion
    May 2011
    4,615 Posts
    Because space is awesome as well as zero gravity. Should probably mention terraforming of mars in the OP even through making an atmosphere would take more than 100 years.
    This reminds me that I once spent 20 of real money on an acre of moon land, quite why is beyond me.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    It is exclusive, if you had the choice between Cuban cigars or just a pack of smokes, what would you pick if you had the money? And when you can get something from the moon, it would feel even better because t is so far away and so hard to get to.

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,266 Posts
    Why would you want to go to space.
    Earth's full.

Plus, no laws in space. I can download all of the linux distros I want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    Killing someone would never be more satisfying than seeing someone blow up while they have problems breathing in the vacuum of space. Except if you accidentally opened the airlock and didn't purposely murder someone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,266 Posts
    Killing someone would never be more satisfying than seeing someone blow up while they have problems breathing in the vacuum of space. Except if you accidentally opened the airlock and didn't purposely murder someone.
    Uh, there was this thing I read a while ago about how people wouldn't actually explosively decompress in space, just the outermost blood vessels would burst. Also, apparently heat travels extremely slowly in a vacuum so you'd suffocate before anything else happened.

At least, so I have read.

28. Post #68
    December 2008
    764 Posts
    You do know there's an atmosphere on Earth? And the conditions are perfect to support human life.

Wacky right?

Uh, there was this thing I read a while ago about how people wouldn't actually explosively decompress in space, just the outermost blood vessels would burst. Also, apparently heat travels extremely slowly in a vacuum so you'd suffocate before anything else happened.

At least, so I have read.
    But your saliva will boil in your mouth.

Also:
    http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...rs/970603.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Ireland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    Doesn't mean we could make an "Earth #2". Even if We first needed 100 years to get rid of space suits and another 100 to be able to breathe, it is still making a planet habitable for human life and that is a huge step in making space colonies. As a wise video game character once said: "Science isn't about why, it's about why not!". Let's compare lemons to mars and lemonade to boring research, now what would you do with that lemon? Sell lemonade or plant the seed and grow a lemon tree?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    Why so Sirius?
    April 2009
    3,652 Posts
    Teleportation as we know it can never be achieved. However, there is a huge debate about the other forms of teleportation. The laws of physics cannot be broken at the moment but what if someone figures out a way to break these chains and we can propably be teleported in the future.

Of course my speculation is a long shot and is only based on the facts that I remember, so there is no reference to anything or anyone.
    why could it "never be achieved"?

31. Post #71
    Dennab
    July 2010
    2,149 Posts
    I think, if we ever had flying cars, it'd go horribly wrong and thousands would die screaming to Earth.

There's just so much room for error. In fact, if you didn't want everyone to die horribly (since being a trained pilot just to go to work is bullshit), you'd need to have eveything still be like a road, but in the sky. And since that negates the purpose of a flying car, you'd have to go with the one advantage left to you; you can stack them in rows of roads in the skies...

...And that's why flying cars will exterminate the human race.

First thing that came to my mind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,654 Posts
    2012 is coming guys. You know what that means, time to start thinking of Post-Apocalyptic Survival Bunkers!

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,548 Posts

First thing that came to my mind.
    I was thinking more The Fifth Element, but that's the gist of it.

So what is it, specifically, that we do in here? Discuss incoming technological advances? Because the prosthetics industry is looking like it might be getting a lot more cyberpunky some time soon.

I remember there was a video of a girl who'd been born without a hand, and her parents had paid about $20000 to get a replacement one that had pressure pads around her tendons, so it would sense what tendons were being used and move the finger that would have been connected to it. It looked seriously high-tech. I'll try and find the video, but I saw it a while ago.

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    2012 is coming guys. You know what that means, time to start thinking of Post-Apocalyptic Survival Bunkers!
    We need more conspiracy theorist jokes.

35. Post #75
    February 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Hey, this thread looks interesting.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is entirely related, but this site is about the future and is also extremely interesting: http://www.futuretimeline.net/

Edit: It's also an incredibly fun read, in my opinion. Gets my future excitement nerves firing.

Gonna quote this. This is actually a very informative website.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Dennab
    January 2010
    4,943 Posts
    Gonna quote this. This is actually a very informative website.
    Informative my ass. That was just a bunch of pessimistic bullshit telling me "it's only going to get worse."

Don't buy into it. We've made it this far without being annihilated and having everything go to shit, why would it happen in humanities greatest years?

Anyways, a lot of people believe that the future is still to far away, but honestly even many "scientists predictions" usually over-estimate the time it takes to make something.

A company building on the idea of Nanotechnology said it would be another 20 or so years before they are ready for commercial use. I may be no scientist, but I doubt it will even take that long. Many people forget the crazy batshit advances in science we've had in the last 10 years that have revolutionized everything, why would it take so long to progress so little in the future when we are already making excessive progress now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,044 Posts
    I'm assuming we're going to need lots and lots of shot guns in case of slow zombies.

My dad and I have quite a large collection, with a few Mossberg 500's and Italian fancy shit as well.

38. Post #78
    August 2009
    4,181 Posts
    flying cars scare me. how about flying trains or flying buses?

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    Flying trains already exist in Japan IIRC, through magnets.

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,922 Posts
    Earth's full.

Plus, no laws in space. I can download all of the linux distros I want.
    Latency is gonna be a bitch.

wat

Flying trains already exist in Japan IIRC, through magnets.
    They don't really fly, instead they levitate right over the track.
    Still amazing nonetheless.