1. Post #441

May 2011
    29 Posts
    Been spending most our lives living in the stoner's paradise...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

2. Post #442
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    14,785 Posts
    How do you guys usually play? I'm not very lucky with my maps because I never find anything useful in the houses and the city is miles away so I get killed withing the first in game hour.

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,840 Posts
    How do you guys usually play? I'm not very lucky with my maps because I never find anything useful in the houses and the city is miles away so I get killed withing the first in game hour.
    Loot the house
    Loot the second house
    Decide to go to "THAT AWESOME BUILDING"
    Get eaten
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #444
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    14,785 Posts
    Most maps I get are just suburbs. When I get to a map that actually has shops I am to busy looking for supplies that the store doesn't have and the place gets surrounded by zombies.

5. Post #445
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,840 Posts
    Oh and all the time number one reason I die is my urge to blow up all the gas stations
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #446

May 2011
    29 Posts
    I just vomited, then choked on it and died...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #447

May 2011
    904 Posts
    Whats the best build? I want someone who can survive for more than a day.
    Well, with traits/stats the idea is finding a balance between enough disabilities to have good enough positive things. Whenever you take a negative trait or lower your stat below 6 you gain points, and whenever you take positive traits or raise your stats you lose points.

IMO negative traits worth taking:

(2) HP Ignorant is amazing to take because you don't need to know the exact numbers, the colors are more than enough information and if you're in a position where you'd need to know the exact numbers to gauge your survival you're probably fucked.

(2) Trigger Happy is good because guns are usually not what you want to be using. If you're like me you'll stick purely to melee + traps.

(4) Asthmatic is honestly not that bad. It basically means you have to use a certain item every while. The asthma attacks don't seem to be common at all and if anything they'll come when you're in a safe place reading or sleeping. 4 points is a lot when the only negative is having to carry around a small item.

(1) Weak Stomach is only as bad as you are at avoiding food poisoning. The alcohol thing might suck if you use alcohol a lot, but I prefer to make molotovs.

(5) Schizophrenic is supposedly really fun although it makes things harder. I haven't tried it myself.

(1) Heavy Sleeper isn't so bad, since if you get woken up in a safe place the zombies are probably already nibbling on you.

(2) Near-Sighted is hit or miss depending on your style. A lot of people prefer to wear ski goggles for immunity against boomer bile, but if you don't mind losing the eyewear slot to encumbrance penalties it's an easy 2 points. Just try to find a spare pair of glasses and have them on-hand so you don't get them smashed in a fight.

(4) Hoarder is entirely dependant on your playstyle. If you always have your inventory maxed out it's a free 4 points, but if you don't carry everything on hand it could be frustrating.

You can only have a maximum of +12 points from negative traits. I prefer taking HP Ignorant, Weak Stomach, Near-Sighted, Heavy Sleeper, Trigger Happy and Asthmatic for a full +12 bonus.

Afterwards comes positive traits. You have to balance the good traits you take with the stat bonuses you want. You can really take whatever you want here, except for Disease Resistant since it doesnt do anything atm. I usually take Packmule and Quick, and save the rest of the points for stats. Others prefer taking Fast Reader, Fast Learner, Light Eater, Fleet-Footed, Drunken Master, Terrifying and/or Android depending on playstyle.

With stats, you can go to a minimum of 4. The maximum you should have in any single stat is 14, since after that they become more expensive. All stats are more or less equally useful, although a lot of people prefer having Perception as a dump stat.

My final character build:

Strength: 14
    Dexterity: 10
    Intelligence: 14
    Perception: 6
    Good: Fleet-Footed, Packmule
    Bad: HP Ignorant, Weak Stomach, Near-Sighted, Heavy Sleeper, Trigger Happy, Asthmatic

Now, as for surviving. There are a few key things to remember:

- Don't shoot anything unless you absolutely need to. To the best of my knowledge, the game spawns zombies in regular intervals, and not only do gunshots alert nearby zombies, they speed up the intervals at which more are spawned.

- Find a good melee weapon. Baseball bats are really great overall, as are combat knives. If you can't find any good ones, don't be afraid to use a steak knife, pipe-object from the road, even a 2x4 or hammer is okay.

- You want to hit up a few specific stores early on for supplies. After searching the house you start in, head for the nearest sports goods store or hardware store. Sports goods carry backpacks, baseball bats, helmets, ski goggles and bandages, all of which are important. The hardware store is probably the only place you'll find nails which are very important, as well as hammers, saws, shovels, some books, etc. You'll also want to search any houses on the way. Once you have a backpack start picking up important stuff, including everything above as well as scissors, rags, first aid, crowbars, utility vests, fanny packs, lighters, food, pots/frying pans/hotplates, any other misc tools like sewing kits, books, bear traps, etc.

- Once you have scissors, you can snip up some of the clothes you find. Stockpile rags, then when you get a chance, go to a liquor store (NOT a bar) and make a fuckload of molotovs with rags and bottles of booze. Molotovs are fucking great for clearing zombies, and they're cheap and easy to make. Also make sure to combine rags and superglue for bandages.

- Eventually you should have a good amount of shit. Press m to bring up the map, and look for a house on the outskirts of town nearish to a forest. Head there, make sure it's a nice place (toilet and basement are super but not required), then dump all your shit in it and start fortifying it. Smash all the doors down (except maybe the bathroom) and use the 2x4s with your hammer and nails to board up the windows. With your shovel, dig holes outside the windows, as well as diagonally to the entrances. Make sure to dig twice in one spot so it's a deep hole. If you need more 2x4s either smash young trees in the forest for sticks and carpentize them or find a nearby house and go on a door raping spree. At this point you're basically set. If any windows get smashed open before you can board them up just consider it a secondary entrance and hole it up. Later, if/when your construction skill is a lot higher, you can outright build yourself a new house farther in the woods, away from zombies.

- ONLY fight when you either have no choice (fast zombies in your face) or you have the upper hand. This is what the holes are for: if a zombie's in a hole, it becomes 50 times easier to kill. The same applies to traps, and if you find a bear trap, hold onto it for dear life. Whenever a zombie approaches, 'a'pply the bear trap between the two of you, wait for it to become ensnared, beat it to death, collect the dropped trap, rinse and repeat. Otherwise you're going to want to run.

- Cannibalism is pro. Butcher everything you can assuming you aren't in danger, take all the meat, cook it later if you get the chance or eat it raw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #448
    beep
    Dennab
    January 2006
    9,409 Posts
    i take the schizophrenia perk and i start to have an hallucination attack. i go to sleep it off and get woken up by a shrieker zombie who alerts the horde. i go to leave the house and there is a FUCKING BEAR IN THE LIVING ROOM. i go to try to run past it and it knocks me unconscious. it proceeds to mangle my fucking body and kill me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

9. Post #449
    October 2011
    369 Posts
    Best way to get into a house: Butter knife and rock, * > remove window.
    need 1 carpentry but is silent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

10. Post #450

June 2011
    62 Posts
    There is an SSH server out there that works pretty much like a Dropbox would; the entire Save directory is shared among all players. It works great. You can follow their trail of carnage, loot each other's dead corpses (or stashes), and there's no glaring problems except:
    1) You can't directly interact with each other (would be cool but would also be a big technical challenge, and multiplayer isn't my focus).
    2) If two players are within 24 tiles of each other at the same time, it could cause weird issues with save timing. It won't crash the game or anything, but you might notice items disappearing out of thin air.

With #2 in mind, it's entirely possible for a group of players to meet up in a single location and, say, work together to build a fortress, or something. Just so long as they aren't doing it at the same time, it'll work out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

11. Post #451

May 2011
    29 Posts
    It's also entirely possible for one of them to throw a molotov and burn the whole place down. :P

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,240 Posts
    If we wanted to play this multiplayer somebody should come up with a way to make a MUD off of it, like HateMOO or all those other things.

Edited:

most muds that i know of use long commands in a command console though, like hellmoo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #453

May 2011
    29 Posts
    I just pulled the pins on two grenades and rushed into an ant queen's chamber. I survived, she didn't. I am 3/4 of the way dead and in excruciating pain, though...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #454
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    10,477 Posts

FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT SQUIRREL.

Edited:

Then I got mauled by highway dogs

Edited:

fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #455

May 2011
    904 Posts
    Bear traps are fucking awesome.

Zombie brute shows up, I place a bear trap on the ground, he walks into it, I beat the fuck out of him with a baseball bat while he just sits there.

I even managed to skin him and now I have a nice leather pelt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #456
    September 2008
    783 Posts
    Z menu + incendiary grenades = OH GOD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

17. Post #457
    January 2008
    190 Posts
    Is there a easier way to search for stuff in the Z Menu? Or do you have to manually scroll for your item each time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

18. Post #458

May 2011
    29 Posts
    Is there a easier way to search for stuff in the Z Menu? Or do you have to manually scroll for your item each time.
    Hit "/" then type in the name of the item you want, it will bring up the most relevant items.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,240 Posts
    Can someone repost that modding guide? I wanna see how far I can get.

i can't read this wizard language scratch that.

found it
    There's a file in the source code, in a folder called code_doc, named EDITING. It gives step-by-step instructions for coding in new items.

Coding in a new crafting recipe is even simpler; just open up crafting.cpp and copy what's already done. Item reference IDs are listed in itype.h

You might wish to browse http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?board=6.0

20. Post #460
    September 2008
    1,382 Posts
    Can someone repost that modding guide? I wanna see how far I can get.

i can't read this wizard language scratch that.
    Yes. Do this.

21. Post #461

May 2011
    29 Posts
    Well, I'm doing pretty well right now, by my standards. I live in a fortified house right outside a medium sized town, it has a bajillion bottles of water but not an ounce of food. I have an SKS, with about 100 rounds, and a Tek and some other SMG with no rounds. I'm wearing scratched sneakers, a cracked riot helmet and a backpack, because some zombie tore off my pants down the line. I'm currently breaking into houses and looting whatever I can find, cocaine, meth, oxycodone, ammo and food are the priorities. I can hardly take any oxycodone for my constant, endless excruciating pain because I vomit every ten minutes for whatever reason, damn weak stomach. I seem to be constantly under attack, mostly by bears and ants but I do get a lot of zombies, too.

Basically, I'll be lucky to survive another day.

22. Post #462
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,240 Posts
    Well, I'm doing pretty well right now, by my standards. I live in a fortified house right outside a medium sized town, it has a bajillion bottles of water but not an ounce of food. I have an SKS, with about 100 rounds, and a Tek and some other SMG with no rounds. I'm wearing scratched sneakers, a cracked riot helmet and a backpack, because some zombie tore off my pants down the line. I'm currently breaking into houses and looting whatever I can find, cocaine, meth, oxycodone, ammo and food are the priorities. I can hardly take any oxycodone for my constant, endless excruciating pain because I vomit every ten minutes for whatever reason, damn weak stomach. I seem to be constantly under attack, mostly by bears and ants but I do get a lot of zombies, too.

Basically, I'll be lucky to survive another day.
    Chug all the vodka you can find. Screw your stomach, just go the stalker way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,266 Posts
    Oh god, I started the tutorial. First thing I do? Pump gas and light it on fire. Blowing a hole in the tutorial wall. THUS I MAKE MY ESCAPE.

24. Post #464
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,240 Posts
    Oh god, I started the tutorial. First thing I do? Pump gas and light it on fire. Blowing a hole in the tutorial wall. THUS I MAKE MY ESCAPE.
    How'd you get away from the fact that lighting gas next to the pump explodes it and usually kills you?

Filled and unloaded a bottle of water, creating a line of gasoline away from the pump?
    this is genius and i feel dumb for not thinking of it

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,314 Posts
    How'd you get away from the fact that lighting gas next to the pump explodes it and usually kills you?
    Filled and unloaded a bottle of water, creating a line of gasoline away from the pump?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #466
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,266 Posts
    I just poured some on the ground, lit that on fire, and ran the fuck away.

27. Post #467

May 2011
    29 Posts
    I'll chug vodka when I want to die of dehydration ;)

Anyway, current situation:

Most explored places to the left have been ransacked, I'm about to say "fuck it" and take a hike to the right to get my supplies instead of almost killing myself walking into that deathtrap of a city. I'd rather strip the virgin outskirts of a city rather than run to the middle of a town. Stats n shit:

No, you aren't reading that wrong, 1/4 my base speed. Nothing helps. I take painkillers, I get a bit faster for a while when my pain goes from excruciating to minor, but then the meds wear off and I'm back to slug speed. It's a vicious, unbreakable cycle of torture.

28. Post #468
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,240 Posts
    You'll chug vodka next to a toilet and not die of dehydration that's what.

29. Post #469
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,840 Posts
    I usually run away and survive
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events

30. Post #470

May 2011
    29 Posts
    Oh hey, I died. I stopped breathing suddenly, must've ODed on oxycodone.

31. Post #471
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    10,477 Posts
    I found a bunch of corpses on the road with an Milkor MGL.

Only smoke and tear gas though, does tear gas even hurt zombies?

I hope this game gets more weapons. I know there's a ton but I want more. Could do with some bolt actions and older weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #472

May 2011
    29 Posts
    Tear gas hurts and slows down everything last I heard.

33. Post #473
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,240 Posts
    I can't wear a backpack and a kevlar vest at the same time. why whales whyyyyyyyyy

34. Post #474

June 2011
    62 Posts
    I can't wear a backpack and a kevlar vest at the same time. why whales whyyyyyyyyy
    To force you to make interesting choices
    You CAN wear both, you'll just have to avoid melee combat like the plague if you do.

Tear gas blinds monsters, stuns them (makes them move randomly rather than towards you) for a few rounds, hides your scent trail, and badly injures plant-based monsters. Mostly useful as a getaway, or to render a room full of monsters harmless so that you can storm in (while wearing a gas mask, of course) and slaughter them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

35. Post #475

May 2011
    29 Posts
    Never fear, survivors! I am the man with the many fanny packs!

...Doesn't quite have the heroic ring to it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #476
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,036 Posts
    This game looks interesting and deep.

I think I'll give it a wing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

37. Post #477
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,240 Posts
    When the melee description says crushing blows and throws dispatch enemies does that mean I can pick up zombies and throw them or just throw rocks at the speed of light?

38. Post #478
    February 2009
    940 Posts
    Hey Whales, once you've edited the source to add in an item or a monster or what have you, how do you actually make the game recognize the additions you've made and put the item in. I dunno if I'm wording that coherently but hopefully you'll understand. Also I'm using the windows version if that makes a difference.

Edited:

Also you did an incredibly good job making the code accessible and easy to understand, especially with your comments, so props for that.

39. Post #479
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,419 Posts
    Hey Whales, once you've edited the source to add in an item or a monster or what have you, how do you actually make the game recognize the additions you've made and put the item in. I dunno if I'm wording that coherently but hopefully you'll understand. Also I'm using the windows version if that makes a difference.

Edited:

Also you did an incredibly good job making the code accessible and easy to understand, especially with your comments, so props for that.
    Not entirely sure, but you might want the compile guide thingy (Could you put this and the source in the OP Holy-Smokes?)

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=86.0

If you mean getting the item INTO the game world, you select where you want it to spawn in mapitemsdef.cpp so say you make a new item (itm_lasgun for instance) you put it into the area list you want it to spawn.

Code:
     setvector(   mapitems[mi_allguns],	itm_sig_mosquito, itm_m249, itm_lasgun NULL);
    (Had to trim that, thought code had built in scroll?)

That will add it to the list of stuff to possibly spawn. (Possibly)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #480
    February 2009
    940 Posts
    Not entirely sure, but you might want the compile guide thingy (Could you put this and the source in the OP Holy-Smokes?)

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=86.0

If you mean getting the item INTO the game world, you select where you want it to spawn in mapitemsdef.cpp so say you make a new item (itm_lasgun for instance) you put it into the area list you want it to spawn.

Code:
     setvector(   mapitems[mi_allguns],	itm_sig_mosquito, itm_m249, itm_lasgun NULL);
    (Had to trim that, thought code had built in scroll?)

That will add it to the list of stuff to possibly spawn. (Possibly)
    Brilliant, the compile guide was just what I was looking for. Thanks.