1. Post #1241
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,736 Posts
    "other devs did the same mistakes so it's ok!" Lol no it's not.
    I think the interesting part is more that certain devs always have terrible launches. These games always get off to a very bumpy start. You should expect high standards from devs, yeah, but you should do your research and know what you're getting into, too. If a dev consistently has rough launches then I wait a few weeks before I get the game, it's not a big deal for me to wait a bit. I'll probably buy Rebirth, but I'm gonna wait for a sale and for more patches.

2. Post #1242
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    6,235 Posts
    Diablo 3, Battlefield 3/4, Call of Duty Ghosts/Blops/MW, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, X2, X3, Simcity, etc etc etc.

What do these games all have in common?

They all had terrible launches.

What else do they have in common?

After a week or so everyone stops complaining about the game and enjoy it because they realize they've hopped aboard the band wagon. Also developers tend to fix these issues real quick so as to keep their customers happy.

These people have worked for years to develop these games. Sure some issues have slipped through the cracks but if they delayed it any longer they would have run the risk of everyone cancelling their pre-orders and losing interest in the game all together.
    "some issues"
    its practically unplayable
    And the only game in that list I actually played near launch was BF3 and its launch was fine. At least I could y'know, play it.

Edited:

I want this game to be good as much as the next, its just annoying to have it not work properly.

3. Post #1243
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,867 Posts
    "other devs did the same mistakes so it's ok!" Lol no it's not.
    It's not the dev's fault that they're on a deadline. Blame the publisher and stakeholders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #1244
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    7,655 Posts
    It is funny though because in about a years time, no doubt this will be a solid game.

5. Post #1245
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,736 Posts
    It is funny though because in about a years time, no doubt this will be a solid game.
    Yeah, that's true of most games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1246
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    7,655 Posts
    Goddammit i'm just looking for a simple video that shows actual gameplay (not the Egosoft trailers) but everyone always has to add their worthless commentary on top of it.

Edited:

how playable is it right now?
    Not very, by the sound of things.

7. Post #1247
    Dennab
    June 2005
    14,184 Posts

8. Post #1248
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,716 Posts
    It's not the dev's fault that they're on a deadline. Blame the publisher and stakeholders.
    They had 7 years to make the game and it got delayed for 2 years, the Publisher seems to have been pretty good to them timewise.

9. Post #1249
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,867 Posts
    They had 7 years to make the game and it got delayed for 2 years, the Publisher seems to have been pretty good to them timewise.
    Games don't take 7 years to develop when things go smoothly, they obviously ran into a lot of snags along the way.

10. Post #1250
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,739 Posts
    I must say, I really am surprised how well it's gone so far.
    And I see they've even updated the forums.
    A drop down menu to browse through quicker!

Edited:

Quite playable, in my experience.
    Only problem so far that I've had is that map and other menus stopped working, along with other in-cockpit model animations (chair swiveling, etc.)

11. Post #1251
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,716 Posts
    Games don't take 7 years to develop when things go smoothly, they obviously ran into a lot of snags along the way.
    It's not just snags, it's major game design problems. The entire station fps component is terrible and a completely unfun element of gameplay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #1252
    hey
    Dennab
    August 2006
    6,363 Posts
    This is currently just sitting on my HDD, since I bought Rebirth about a month ago or so. How is it compared to the other X titles?

13. Post #1253
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,184 Posts
    How the hell do I dock, I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Edited:

Okay, I have to click the icon... hrmph.

14. Post #1254
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,739 Posts
    This is currently just sitting on my HDD, since I bought Rebirth about a month ago or so. How is it compared to the other X titles?
    It's different.
    Personally, I dislike the new interface, with the radial menus and the new galaxy/sector/system maps.
    It's pretty, controls have changed locations somewhat, etc.
    I also miss following docking lights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #1255
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    My point is really that icewarrior are doing baseless insults when he calls marzipas a hipster for complaining about a game that's unplayable.

And honestly no matter who it is to blame for a rickety launch, unplayable games are never ok.

16. Post #1256
    October 2008
    254 Posts
    The framerate isn't too good for me, it's about 20-25 in busy sectors while facing the stations but inside stations and in open space it's higher. But even at 20 it is still playable and feels reasonably smooth until combat starts and I'm swinging around trying to find enemies. I've had no noticable bugs other than lod loading in stations and no crashes yet either. I like how everything is seamless and there are no loading screens.

Shadows were the main thing that ate up FPS so I've disabled them but enabled SSAO and lighting still looks good but at better FPS. The lod and view distance sliders don't seem to have a large visual or performance impact. The difference between high shader quality and normal isn't obvious to me but normal gives better FPS.

I'm personally not a fan of some of the interface changes. The old menu system was no doubt complicated but it was far more practical than the radial menu and the secondary screen in the cockpit. I also prefer the old maps even though they were more 'boring' and less modern. It would be good to be able to change the FOV and have an option to scale the HUD and menus to be a bit larger.

Combat doesn't seem too different from X3 from what I've noticed. Using an xbox gamepad, as much as I prefer using kb/m, actually works well and is very smooth. Combat with the gamepad is a bit easier because the aim assist has a wider leniency and the game will auto-target an enemy you are shooting near, something that should be an option for the mouse aiming as well.

17. Post #1257
    hey
    Dennab
    August 2006
    6,363 Posts
    I just gave this game a quick run; I'm sure they'll fix the framerate issues in patches, although it doesn't really go down to am unbearable slideshow for me.

18. Post #1258
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,739 Posts
    I guess Fight Command Software Mk. 2 is integrated and works for gamepads only, then.
    At least you don't have to buy it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #1259
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,032 Posts
    I'm enjoying it. It's not really an X-game (more like Darkstar One/Freelancer on crack), but I'm having fun.

The biggest issues seem to be performance and the uncanny valley animations on characters.

The only glitch I've seen so far is when I opened a vent on a space station and it shoved my character's head into the ceiling, getting me stuck.

I guess Fight Command Software Mk. 2 is integrated and works for gamepads only, then.
    At least you don't have to buy it
    Use left control to use the autoaim fire. Same stupid control scheme that was in X3TC.

Edited:

Vegetales on a    Terran    station?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1260
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,739 Posts
    IUse left control to use the autoaim fire. Same stupid control scheme that was in X3TC.

Edited:

Vegetales on a    Terran    station?
    ...clearly been too long since I last played an X game.

21. Post #1261
    hey
    Dennab
    August 2006
    6,363 Posts
    The voice acting in this game is very acceptable, but the character model and animation quality is just, well, yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #1262
    At least I don't have alzheimer's.
    January 2011
    2,363 Posts
    I've never played an X game before, are there any specific games that X is similar to?

23. Post #1263
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,739 Posts
    The voice acting in this game is very acceptable, but the character model and animation quality is just, well, yeah.
    As usual.
    Well, better, since better voice acting.

24. Post #1264
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,184 Posts
    I told my fucking trader to sell that place those Energy Cells in the beginning of the campaign. He finally arrived, but isn't doing squat. And now it says he has no Energy Cells, though I never sold them.

25. Post #1265
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,863 Posts
    So far I've had very little in the way of issues. The only problem i've had is some slight audio quality issues, no FPS problems or texture issues, though the character models are pretty fuckugly. I do see the issue with stations though, they seem largely useless, in reality just a menu that takes a longer time to use. Maybe if they added more life to them, they'd be more immersive, but right now their pretty cold places.

26. Post #1266
    I want to know who at Egosoft decided that I can't use buttons on my joystick to fire weapons. The game will only let me assign axes to trigger it (like my throttle)

What kind of retardation is that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

27. Post #1267
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,266 Posts
    The only issue I have at the moment is the horrible frame rate, I have a 7970 and I'm getting like 18-25fps on a medium setting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #1268
    July 2007
    471 Posts
    Is there a fix or bypass method for the part of the tutorial where you have to load your freighter with 100 energy cells?

29. Post #1269
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,863 Posts
    Also i've noticed. I've played the campaign for an hour now, and it's boring as fuck, like terribad boring, yes I know it's a tutorial stage, but it's frustrating as shit.

30. Post #1270
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,266 Posts
    I found out that the game didn't run the directx redist, after I ran it from the games dictionary It seemed to have fixed the animation errors

31. Post #1271
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,184 Posts
    Is there a fix or bypass method for the part of the tutorial where you have to load your freighter with 100 energy cells?
    Wait, so is it just broken?

32. Post #1272
    Wait, so is it just broken?
    No, it isn't, it just takes ages to complete since the TL is REALLY dumb and slow.

33. Post #1273
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,032 Posts

jesus christ how terrifying
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

34. Post #1274
    July 2007
    471 Posts
    No, it isn't, it just takes ages to complete since the TL is REALLY dumb and slow.
    how long am I supposed to sit there?

35. Post #1275
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,032 Posts
    how long am I supposed to sit there?
    It took mine about ten minutes from giving the order til it finished docking and transferring shit. I just explored and did a mission while it was docking.

36. Post #1276
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,266 Posts
    so I was wondering why my freighter hadn't shown up at the energy plant after like 30 minutes and went to find it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

37. Post #1277
    October 2008
    254 Posts
    Someone uploaded save files for anyone having trouble with the energy cell transport mission.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/d...1852259647737/
    It is saved right before the ship pulls in and starts to trade.

38. Post #1278
    July 2007
    273 Posts
    So I haven't played X games in the past due to the intense learning curve, but I was wondering if this game is worth it to someone who enjoyed the freespace games and In general enjoys space exploration.

39. Post #1279
    February 2011
    721 Posts
    The campaign is utterly obliterating my computer, I have less than 10 FPS most the time when I'm on campaign, however freeplay runs at least five times better, only problem is getting a ship is utterly impossible, and you can't really trade using the skunk. Doing 13k credit missions 300 times to get the money needed for a ship doesn't really interest me either. I've been completely let down so far, I've found anytime I forget that I actually want to gain things and instead just kinda roam around I enjoy myself, but as soon as I remember it's an X game where I should be gaining stuff and such, I'm let down since I've never gotten to do that yet and I've played for nearly five hours now. After two hours in the campaign I'd not even gained a defense technician because I didn't have enough money for one (Could be my bad, but the tutorial is seriously attrocious).

I just want to trade :c

40. Post #1280
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    346 Posts
    So I haven't played X games in the past due to the intense learning curve, but I was wondering if this game is worth it to someone who enjoyed the freespace games and In general enjoys space exploration.
    With the complaints about optimization and bugs, unless your PC is able to handle the game, I'd suggest waiting until Egosoft fixes it.