1. Post #1
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    16,894 Posts
    iO9
    [release]For decades, paleontologists have puzzled over a fossil collection of nine Triassic icthyosaurs (Shonisaurus popularis) discovered in Nevada's Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park. Researchers initially thought that this strange grouping of 45-foot-long marine reptiles had either died en masse from a poisonous plankton bloom or had become stranded in shallow water.

But recent geological analysis of the fossil site indicates that the park was deep underwater when these shonisaurs swam the prehistoric seas. So why were their bones laid in such a bizarre pattern? A new theory suggests that a 100-foot-long cephalopod arranged these bones as a self-portrait after drowning the reptiles. And no, we're not talking about Cthulhu.

After considering the more brutal aspects of modern octopus predation, paleontologist Mark McMenamin of Mount Holyoke College came to the conclusion that the shonisaur remains had been deposited in a "kraken" lair by its massive, tentacled squatter. From his abstract of research being presented today at The Geological Society of America's annual meeting:

We hypothesize that the shonisaurs were killed and carried to the site by an enormous Triassic cephalopod, a "kraken," with estimated length of approximately 30 m, twice that of the modern Colossal Squid Mesonychoteuthis. In this scenario, shonisaurs were ambushed by a Triassic kraken, drowned, and dumped on a midden like that of a modern octopus. Where vertebrae in the assemblage are disarticulated, disks are arranged in curious linear patterns with almost geometric regularity. Close fitting due to spinal ligament contraction is disproved by the juxtaposition of different-sized vertebrae from different parts of the vertebral column. The proposed Triassic kraken, which could have been the most intelligent invertebrate ever, arranged the vertebral discs in biserial patterns, with individual pieces nesting in a fitted fashion as if they were part of a puzzle. The arranged vertebrae resemble the pattern of sucker discs on a cephalopod tentacle, with each amphicoelous vertebra strongly resembling a coleoid sucker. Thus the tessellated vertebral disc pavement may represent the earliest known self‑portrait.

McMenamin anticipates that this theory will be met with skepticism, as the fleshy body of a giant Triassic octopus wouldn't fossilize well. But the possibility of finding that which is essentially a gargantuan mollusk's macaroni illustration? That's the kind of glorious crazy you hope is reality.[/release]

Geological Society of America
    [release]Boulder, CO, USA - Long before whales, the oceans of Earth were roamed by a very different kind of air-breathing leviathan. Snaggle-toothed ichthyosaurs larger than school buses swam at the top of the Triassic Period ocean food chain, or so it seemed before Mount Holyoke College paleontologist Mark McMenamin took a look at some of their remains in Nevada. Now he thinks there was an even larger and more cunning sea monster that preyed on ichthyosaurs: a kraken of such mythological proportions it would have sent Captain Nemo running for dry land. McMenamin will be presenting the results of his work on Monday, 10 October at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America in Minneapolis.

The evidence is at Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park in Nevada, where McMenamin and his daughter spent a few days this summer. It’s a site where the remains of nine 45-foot (14-meter) ichthyosaurs, of the species Shonisaurus popularis can be found. These were the Triassic’s counterpart to today’s predatory giant squid-eating sperm whales. But the fossils at the Nevada site have a long history of perplexing researchers, including the world’s expert on the site: the late Charles Lewis Camp of U.C. Berkeley.

“Charles Camp puzzled over these fossils in the 1950s,” said McMenamin. “In his papers he keeps referring to how peculiar this site is. We agree, it is peculiar.”
    Camp’s interpretation was that the fossils probably represented death by an accidental stranding or from a toxic plankton bloom. But no one had ever been able to prove that the beasts died in shallow water. In fact more recent work on the rocks around the fossils suggest it was a deep water environment, which makes neatly arranged carcasses even more mysterious.

This question -- shallow or deep ocean death -- is what attracted McMenamin to the site.

“I was aware that anytime there is controversy about depth, there is probably something interesting going on,” McMenamin said. And when they arrived at the remote state park and started looking at the fossils, McMenamin was struck by their strangeness.

“It became very clear that something very odd was going on there,” said McMenamin. “It was a very odd configuration of bones.”

First of all, the different degrees of etching on the bones suggested that the shonisaurs were not all killed and buried at the same time. It also looked like the bones had been purposefully rearranged. That it got him thinking about a particular modern predator that is known for just this sort of intelligent manipulation of bones.

“Modern octopus will do this,” McMenamin said. What if there was an ancient, very large sort of octopus, like the kraken of mythology. “I think that these things were captured by the kraken and taken to the midden and the cephalopod would take them apart.”

In the fossil bed, some of the shonisaur vertebral disks are arranged in curious linear patterns with almost geometric regularity, McMenamin explained.The proposed Triassic kraken, which could have been the most intelligent invertebrate ever, arranged the vertebral discs in double line patterns, with individual pieces nesting in a fitted fashion as if they were part of a puzzle.

Even more creepy: The arranged vertebrae resemble the pattern of sucker discs on a cephalopod tentacle, with each vertebra strongly resembling a coleoid sucker. In other words, the vertebral disc “pavement” seen at the state park may represent the earliest known self portrait.

But could an octopus really have taken out such huge swimming predatory reptiles? No one would have believed such a tale until the staff of the Seattle Aquarium set up a video camera at night a few years ago to find out what was killing the sharks in one of their large tanks. What they were shocked to discover was that a large octopus they had in the same tank was the culprit. The video of one of these attacks is available on the web to anyone who uses the search terms “shark vs octopus.”

“We think that this cephalopod in the Triassic was doing the same thing,” said McMenamin. Among the evidences of the kraken attacks are many more ribs broken in the shonisaur fossils than would seem accidental and the twisted necks of the ichthyosaurs. “It was either drowning them or breaking their necks.”

Of course, it’s the perfect Triassic crime because octopuses are mostly soft-bodied and don’t fossilize well. Only their beaks, or mouth parts, are hard and the chances of those being preserved nearby are very low. That means the evidence for the murderous Kraken is circumstantial, which may leave some scientists rather skeptical. But McMenamin is not worried.

“We’re ready for this,” he said. “We have a very good case.[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Starred x 121Funny x 3Disagree x 2Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    September 2010
    344 Posts
    I can't pun this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Funny Funny x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,461 Posts
    i am so fucking glad they are extinct right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 47Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    I expected more people to come in here and try their hand at kraken jokes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 118Funny Funny x 9Starred Starred x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    16,894 Posts
    Someone do a Cthulhu pun, I can't think of any
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

March 2010
    1,415 Posts
    What a crakin' discovery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 54Late Late x 6Starred Starred x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,943 Posts
    the pictures looks just like krakin the walls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,789 Posts
    Maybe it's the ceph from Crysis?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,141 Posts
    I want a pet Kraken.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,325 Posts
    30 m?!?!?!? :aaa:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    2,435 Posts
    Things like this are why the depths of the ocean terrify me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2007
    5,115 Posts

its balloons!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 19Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2009
    164 Posts
    Someone do a Cthulhu pun, I can't think of any
    I'd try, but it would be r'lyeh bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 111Funny Funny x 9Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    7,066 Posts
    Ceph?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2008
    948 Posts
    Self-portrait? But how did it know what it looked like? Did it have a mirror?

It is pretty creepy actually, intelligent animals always creep me out. Especially when they're bigger than me.

Good thing it's dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 28Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,215 Posts
    shit I don't know any Cthulu jokes

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    855 Posts
    sounds like he krak'd the case
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,349 Posts
    30 meters long? And it killed bus-sized ichtyosaurs with ease to create "art" from their remains? That's the fucking stuff of nightmares.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

19. Post #19
    March 2010
    1,038 Posts
    images of Cthulhu making macaroni pictures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 35Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    October 2010
    5,187 Posts
    fucking krakers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,062 Posts
    I expected more people to come in here and try their hand at kraken jokes.
    I am KRAKEN up right now at this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,220 Posts
    Bunch of circles on the ground?

Must be sentient Kraken artists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    Bunch of circles on the ground?

Must be sentient Kraken artists.
    Oh god it must have been aliens!

24. Post #24
    Back in my day only cool kids had titles.
    June 2005
    5,328 Posts
    Damn pre-history, why you so scary?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,347 Posts
    For some reason I think of reapers when I read this.

26. Post #26
    Kiss me, I'm Irish
    September 2006
    10,169 Posts
    "Release the Kraken!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    LIVE LIKE A WINDRAMMER AS YOU FUCK
    June 2010
    5,376 Posts
    Hello beastie.

28. Post #28
    Oh fuck it's cthulhu!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,357 Posts
    Nice.
    Glad to see more science sensationalism here. Been lacking in the science news this past week or 2.

Need moar faster than light neutrinos.

Maybe time travel?

yeeee.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,594 Posts
    Even dead gods can draw self portraits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,042 Posts
    Madness!

Also:
    SQUIBBONS

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    I still wonder why nobody have joked about tentacle rape yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    469 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Starred Starred x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,870 Posts
    Seems like a butt-load of speculation with very little evidence
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,196 Posts
    This article made me itch from amazement

oh that was bad

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    14,416 Posts
    But... but it's too cool to be false!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    14,806 Posts
    Well, they are an intelligent creature with the dexterity to manipulate small objects. I mean that's all you really need to create "art", yeah?

38. Post #38
    Wet Birds
    September 2005
    8,123 Posts
    I'm not glad it's dead, other intelligent animals are so damn facinating
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

39. Post #39
    September 2008
    670 Posts
    That's because IT IS. This is quite literally all speculation with NO hard evidence supporting it what so ever. See Ars Technica's article on this to explain why this is very likely wrong and should not be believed:

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...mmon-sense.ars

Speculation is nice, but when you go and invent an entire species just to explain one unusual case in one area that has already been explained in a much more likely way by a different scientist in a previous paper, you are doing something wrong. And having your wife as the only other co-author of the story doesn't bode well for its credibility.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,545 Posts
    Well, they are an intelligent creature with the dexterity to manipulate small objects. I mean that's all you really need to create "art", yeah?
    Depends if it's modern or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Zing Zing x 2 (list)