1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,567 Posts
    Couldn't decide if this was destined for fast threads of general, so I rolled the dice.

The time has come where I would like a pocket watch to accompany me when donning the occasional 3-piece.. and alas I know nothing of what to look for in a good pocket watch, nor what price equates quality in this field. I would assume, however, that these are fairly popular with certain members of the facepunch crowd.

I believe I'd like something in silver, as most of my wardrobe is cool tones; blacks, blues, greys, etc.. gold may not match well. I've noticed a style that appears to be called "skeleton" as well, showing the gears and such inside..this I like:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...+watch&spell=1

As far as face design.. I don't even know what's out there. Something simple and classy will do it for me, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Perhaps some of you that have shopped for these in the past have some input on companies and so forth to look for/ stay away from? Hoping to keep it under $100, because it won't be used a whole bunch.. but I don't want a $10 piece of junk that doesn't work, either.

Or just feel free to post cool looking ones, or your own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Late x 29Dumb x 5Funny x 2Winner x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2011
    178 Posts
    Why would you ever want to carry a pocket watch around?

That's only cool if you're about 80 years old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 27Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    I've been here since 2005 and I had to pay $10 for a title.
    February 2005
    1,521 Posts
    are you a train conductor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 23Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,567 Posts
    It goes good with the vest, though! Look needed, that's my reasoning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2009
    487 Posts
    I better be on the watch for a good one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 8Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    January 2007
    8,582 Posts
    It goes good with the vest, though! Look needed, that's my reasoning.
    are you 60 years old or an eccentric billionaire
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    November 2009
    1,126 Posts
    I have always wanted a pocket watch, I hope there will be some good ones in this thread. Hell, we might have to start a watch megathread because of all the cool clocks out there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    I'm rocketsnail full of rocketfail! Drop boxes ⇒⇒⇒
    January 2011
    3,304 Posts
    I have always wanted a pocket watch, I hope there will be some good ones in this thread. Hell, we might have to start a watch megathread because of all the cool clocks out there
    Here's a cool clock
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 12 (list)

9. Post #9
    Why would you ever want to carry a pocket watch around?

That's only cool if you're about 80 years old.

Mother fucker those things are classy as fuck mothefucka they swag if u dont know swag hit u in the face like kanye west
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    995 Posts
    Quite frankly, the OP posted a (semi)serious question, so I think we should give him a reply that at least looks half thought out.

Personally, I think that pocket watches are great accessories to formal occasions, such as a wedding or some sort of formal get together. I would love to have one of my own, but I get by on my grandfather's old copper one. I would like to know as well what the usuall price range is, and where the best dealers are located, that way I can purchase my own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    13,359 Posts
    I'd love to have a pocket watch, just to have one. I wouldn't really use it or carry it though. Just a neat little thing to own, like knives.

Edited:

I like watches in general, for my birthday i got a nice, EXPENSIVE AS FUCK watch.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,854 Posts
    A pocket watch is the mark of a true gentlemen. He arrives precisely when he means to, not sooner nor later. As was posted above, gold goes well as the clashing tones attract the eye and are appealing, if you can afford it go for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Quite frankly, the OP posted a (semi)serious question, so I think we should give him a reply that at least looks half thought out.

Personally, I think that pocket watches are great accessories to formal occasions, such as a wedding or some sort of formal get together. I would love to have one of my own, but I get by on my grandfather's old copper one. I would like to know as well what the usuall price range is, and where the best dealers are located, that way I can purchase my own.
    żżż

Edited:

pfft, anywho doesnt like this watches dont know shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,568 Posts
    Mother fucker those things are classy as fuck mothefucka they swag if u dont know swag hit u in the face like kanye west
    Bitches love pocket watches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,867 Posts
    Hoping to keep it under $100
    A good watch will be in the 500+ range, you are gonna have to save up if you want a decent one.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    4,342 Posts
    If the watch comes with a fob, you can wear it like the photo above. There's no special coat/vest for a pocket watch, the fob just fits through a button hole. Fobs can be bought separately.

I own a Charles Hubert pocket watch, and it works fine. Properly wound it has a 28 hour life.

If your watch has plastic anywhere in it, you've made a poor investment.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,567 Posts
    No doubt you get fine quality for $500 ++, however I see the Charles Hubert watches (actually found some when surfing amazon) come for around the price range I was looking at..

To the above, I ask, how is the build quality on the Charles Hubert? Some of the designs they have are nice, and I would consider adding them to the possibility list.

18. Post #18
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,851 Posts
    Phones are the return of the pocket watch.

A lot of people have stopped wearing watches, and instead glance at their phones.

For example, I have a £600 pocket watch.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,057 Posts

A lot of people have stopped wearing watches, and instead glance at their phones.

Yeah, watches have lost a lot of use due to cell phones. Now they're sort of just used for style I guess. I never really liked wearing watches for some reason though, they always felt uncomfortable to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    May 2009
    685 Posts
    I've got a small pocketwatch that I wear as a necklace. It's gunmetal silver, and looks like a musket ball. I fucking love it. I never use my phone to check the time anymore.

21. Post #21
    Dennab
    January 2007
    8,582 Posts
    you can only have something as elegant as a pocket watch if you can pull it off
    ie if you're a pasty nerd then don't bother
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

22. Post #22
    I imagine it could work but you need a 1920s hairstyle and a handlebar mustache

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,567 Posts
    Pasty nerd? Eh not really.. pretty white and skinny, but never been much of a nerd.

Don't have a real recent pic.. this is from like 09 I think. None in a suit, either. Eh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Optimistic Optimistic x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Pasty nerd? Eh not really.. pretty white and skinny, but never been much of a nerd.

Don't have a real recent pic.. this is from like 09 I think. None in a suit, either. Eh
    You need to go get a haircut and some sun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    January 2007
    8,582 Posts

yeah it will never work for you sorry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

26. Post #26
    Actually, if you cut your hair and slick it all the way back, it'll look good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Dennab
    January 2007
    8,582 Posts
    then he'll just look like a loan shark
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    7,680 Posts
    then he'll just look like a loan shark
    'xactly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,567 Posts
    Lol well thank you. I suppose loan shark will work good enough for me!

30. Post #30
    March 2008
    1,131 Posts
    I have my grandfathers pocketwatch, it's golden, slightly worn down, and purely mechanical. It's awesome, but I have yet to find an occasion to actually wear it.

Wore it once though, as part of a cowboy-outfit, people were very impressed :V

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    14,820 Posts
    My grandfather has a pocket watch that we gave him on his 80th birthday. Funny thing is that the watch is older than him and can be traced back to a clockmaker in United States :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,966 Posts
    I got one for free from my grand grandpa, Win.

33. Post #33
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,072 Posts

Pocket watches are classier
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,865 Posts
    I wear a watch, on my right hand.

Feels natural. Chicks loves watches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,548 Posts
    Pocketwatches are awesome

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,032 Posts
    I collect pocket watches but I don't carry them around with me, well sometimes I wear one as a neckless because I've always had a life for clocks or time related gadgets.

Here are a few of my collections:

Top left is my grandmothers watch, made from pure gold, on the top right is my grandfathers (not sure on the percentage of gold used), while the bottom left is my great grandfathers (needs repair) and the bottom right is my personal pocket watch.

Heres the inside of the bottom right:

If you're going to wear them them by all means, they are actually back in fashion right now but I personally wouldn't unless its a very classy situation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

37. Post #37
    $1 TITLE!
    December 2007
    3,881 Posts

I would love one of these. I dont really suit up much, but id like to get smart again some time, with my doctor who watch and a nice cigar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,973 Posts
    My grandmother gave me a pocketwatch which belonged to my grandfather when I was 11. I broke the chain which was easilly replaceable and threw the whole thing away. Dear fool still thinks I have it somewhere...

Oh god, rate me dumb, I am a horrible person!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    4,676 Posts

I would love one of these. I dont really suit up much, but id like to get smart again some time, with my doctor who watch and a nice cigar.
    I'd love that thing, I really love the gallifreyan symbouls on the top.
    No-matter what people say, Fobwatches ARE awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    April 2008
    1,243 Posts
    Beat me to posting the Doctor's fobwatch. All we need is a Chameleon Arch!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)