1. Post #761
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    9,934 Posts
    You guys know you can change the song in the bar, right? It isn't necessarily (Don't Fear) The Reaper. It was a Heart song one time for me.

2. Post #762
    Dennab
    January 2007
    8,582 Posts
    you can before and during the bar fight, but it automatically switches to Don't Fear The Reaper when the abduction starts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #763
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    5,752 Posts
    Borderlands 2 is pretty humorous a lot of the time, but it takes dips in the distubing occasionally. Special mention goes to Wildlife Exploitation Preserve. The kind of tests those poor people were subjected to against their will...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #764
    I am obsessed with titles; it is all I talk about
    August 2010
    667 Posts

THESE FUCKERS IN DUKE NUKEM 3D WERE THE REASON WHY I CANNOT FINISH THE GODDAMN GAME
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Iran, Islamic Republic of Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #765
    September 2007
    189 Posts
    Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Despite being a really shitty game in the general sense, there was some extremely graphic torture scenes in it. I'm sure everyone knows about the infamous level in which    you go through it naked, immediately after being diced open by a guy with a box-cutter for hours. Yes, you are bleeding out of a million different cuts.    Funny in a way, but also pretty fucked up.

Edited:

Actually the only reason it's not more disturbing is because the main characters are kinda just like "Yeah, okay. Let's go shoot things."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #766
    September 2012
    525 Posts
    You guys know you can change the song in the bar, right? It isn't necessarily (Don't Fear) The Reaper. It was a Heart song one time for me.
    Still a fucking nice song choice for a sequence like that. If that isnt random then all hail RNG

7. Post #767
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,608 Posts

This chap and his various antics throughout Silent Hill 2 generally are the most disturbing I've seen in video games, I mean even just moving around is bad. the screeching of metal on the floor and the slow thuds he makes as he wanders around twitching awkwardly, he does this weird motion with his hand as well that really puts me off.

Cohen's poem the "wild Bunny" that you come across from Bioshock is also up there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #768
    January 2012
    767 Posts
    Cry of Fear has plenty of disturbing moments. Among my favorites are definitely the first-time encounters of sickening monsters and the suspense of exploring dark environments, where not knowing what's next or when is a big part of the thrill. But there's one scene that completely disregards its previously established horror elements and still manages to impress me each time with its eeriness.

The entire game, up to this point, has been dark in both tone and lighting. After fighting a boss battle in the attic of the abandoned forest asylum, you exit the area to find that birds are chirping and a new day is dawning. At the start of the game, the main character, an average person, is thrust into a disturbing and insane world. At this point, though, the game suddenly inverts this. The main character, battered and bleeding, wielding guns and knives and carrying morphine around, sticks out of the calm and serene environment like a sore thumb. The lake only heightens this effect, since you're forced to stare at your character in third person for a couple minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #769
    Chief Gunnery Sgt. of the SS Shitpost
    March 2009
    20,167 Posts
    I think was more the child murdering.

And, this thing...

Holy fuckballs.
    There goes my chances of ever playing that game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #770

December 2013
    1 Posts
    holy fucking shit I don't think I'll be able to sleep
    That used to haunt me.. its just a game I know.. but the screams, the blood, the amputated limbs.. it gets to you.

Edited:

Don't know if anybody has already mentioned this but, the original Max Payne was disturbing when you had to follow the bloodtrail and shit goes crazy. Scared me when I was younger.
    RIGHT?!?! And the whole time "WAAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAAAAH" and if you fell off there was this satanic freaky ass scream. I swear my friend and I were playing it and walking down this corridor and he starts doing this perfect cry like the one you hear on there and I about shit a hole through the damned couch! I played that as a 5-year-old.

Edited:

Nope, just Silent Hill 4.

I love how he's just walking around.. theirs this huge head here. I don't give a fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

11. Post #771
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,264 Posts
    you can before and during the bar fight, but it automatically switches to Don't Fear The Reaper when the abduction starts
    The best part is, Don't Fear the Reaper isn't even a song that is on the machine, you can't select it manually.

For me, I really like the way Metro: Last Light dealt with the flashbacks and ghosts. The way you only saw them if you weren't quite looking right at them, they way they are in these still, dead, places that are ruined but retain a tiny shred of life through the fact that you can almost FEEL the memories there, kinda lost in an instant.

I wanna say the ghosts are based on a real Nuclear attack thingy, Blast Shadows, because it just kinda makes sense to me, and I think that makes it even cooler. Like the bomb killed them all and froze their images, their split second memories, their very last actions in time forever in that instant, turning the environment into the page of a book that never moves, is dead, but retains something to say to anyone living that sees it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #772
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,394 Posts
    Yes, I loved this thread, I don't even care that it got bumped from over a year ago.

13. Post #773
    November 2010
    510 Posts
    Shadowgate got me when I was younger, then again I was 8

The music was good for the NES

edited sorry for big pic earlier
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #774
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,161 Posts
    The regenerators from resident evil 4...the breathing sounds they made were more inhuman than anything, it was really unsettling.

The school bus scene from Prey, pure nope.

And also Alma Wade from the first F.E.A.R. she disturbed me throughout the whole game for reasons i still don't fully understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #775
    Gold Member

September 2011
    6,278 Posts
    Oh damn, it's this thread again.

The most disturbing vidya gaem for me is Majoras Mask, the low quality models and weird facial textures, combined with parts like the ending, it really creeped me out.

16. Post #776
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,938 Posts
    pretty much the prey intro

"Oh hey lets play this looks intersting, What is that earthquake...did i just saw a light? OH MY GOD AN UFO FUCK FUCK FUCK"

Doesnt help i was arround 8 when i gave it a try

17. Post #777
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,761 Posts
    Silent Hill 3:

When Heather vomits out the fetus, I had a fucking nausea fest.

18. Post #778
    Dennab
    January 2010
    4,943 Posts
    Silly as it sounds, when you burn people in Postal 2 and they crawl around crying, still alive but badly charred.

Hell, the entirety of Postal I is disturbing.

Then of course there's Spec Ops: The Line.

And I just got done playing, of all things, the Stanley Parable, and it got to me quite a few times. Realizing that I had no power, that I was trapped in an infinite cycle with no control over what happened. Imagine how hellish that must be, to realize that the whole thing is a lie and you are just the puppet of a voice in your head, and that you cannot think for yourself because he has control.

The only good ending is    the one where he discovers you are a player and his world slowly starts falling apart. Then of course there is the ending where he finds out that he is just a puppet of the games design too.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #779
    November 2008
    805 Posts
    Brutal Legend.

I know, it's a game that runs on heavy metal. You're not supposed to be disturbed. After all, you're mounting a metal beast spitting fire upon a zombie horde or driving your car fighting with panthers that shoot lasers out of their eyes or doing some other awesome thing.

But there's this one bit where a character throws herself into the sea out of pure sorrow and despair. The worst part is that immediately after entering the water, she has a terrified look on her face. Like she just realised that she's made a terrible decision. She tries to swim upwards but some tentacles come from the depths and drag her into the darkness.

I just stared at the screen for a few minutes after that. In a game that is literally built around heavy metal, I did not expect such an emotional scene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #780
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    27,088 Posts
    Pretty much anything in Prey. That game was ominous as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #781
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    8,711 Posts
    OFF
    If you've never played it here is a quick summary:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

22. Post #782
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    8,641 Posts

Pretty much everything about this game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #783
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    16,396 Posts
    F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin

That is the first and only game to ever give me irl temporary claustrophobia. Like, when you start ascending from underground and it's all like "Oh thank fuck it's finally daytime" and then I couldn't figure out where to go and I was stuck in a fucking darkass building for like 5 minutes+my room was actually pretty warm at the time and I ended up just feeling sick.

Walking outside into the street at 50*F temperatures and drinking ice-cold water helped though.

Edited:

Also the beginning of Half-Life when everything went to shit, same with the beginning of Opposing Force.

I was like 9 ok
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #784
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,949 Posts
    Also Clutch - 10001110101 plays.. fun song that.

25. Post #785
    And remember : respect is everything.
    April 2009
    2,023 Posts
    Postal 1 has fucked up loading screens.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 13Informative Informative x 2 (list)

26. Post #786
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    4,938 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

27. Post #787
    Gold Member
    July 2013
    749 Posts

THESE FUCKERS IN DUKE NUKEM 3D WERE THE REASON WHY I CANNOT FINISH THE GODDAMN GAME
    I always go into 3rd person every time I encounter these fuckers

28. Post #788
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    16,396 Posts
    Oh, just remembered another one. 100% of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.
    Except the backstory behind the yellow room. It hasn't personally happened to me, but I doubt I'd be permanently traumatized by    a color    after    getting raped    by     a guy in a yellow outfit.    Something just seems off about that to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #789

December 2012
    3,699 Posts
    Resident Evil when I was a kid (6-7) scared the shit out of me and left me with zombie nightmares for about 3 to 4 years.

Jesus fucking christ. I even broke the damn CD because I was so freaked out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #790
    May 2013
    6,850 Posts
    Bloody Old Chateau in Pokemon Pearl always creeped me the hell out. I think it might've been the statues, can't remember the music well...

31. Post #791
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    434 Posts
    Even after completing jak and daxter like 20 times, the shark (or more specifically the noise it makes) still makes me jump and lose all control of the character.

32. Post #792
    July 2009
    331 Posts
    Being in space, helplessly flying toward a star, unable to divert your course.

When I was a kid playing Freelancer, I had set my auto-navigation to fly me toward a jump-gate. My ship started heading in that direction and I got preoccupied doing something else and wasn't looking at the screen. A minute or so later I lift my head up to see the fucking sun has engulfed almost all of my screen and hear "WARNING: RADIATION DAMAGE DETECTED. ENTERING STAR CORONA," as fiery particles are blowing off my ship. NOPE, closed my eyes and shut down the computer. That FUCKING message sent chills down my spine and it still does to this day.

33. Post #793
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    7,637 Posts
    Half-Life had its moments (the thrill of playing M rated games as a small kid)

This fucking thing:

The first time I went through Half-Life when I was 5 or 6 these things scared the ever living shit out of me. And I mean REALLY, REALLY scared the ever living shit out of me.
    I'm not exactly sure what it was about them but any time I had to go near them I turned the volume down really low, aimed at where I was going to move after distracting them, and then moved past them with my eyes closed.

It worked out well actually and managed to get through the silo just fine, but just when I thought it was over I suddenly drop down to this:

The first time I saw this so suddenly I had a mini freak out or spasm or whatever and just noped right out of the game.
    Had to eventually force myself through that area (with my eyes shut) after a few days went by because at the time I thought that thing was actually alive and it was going to just suddenly lunge at me.

And so to this day I still get a slight tingle in my spine when going through that part.

Edited:

I was actually kind of relieved that the BM devs never bothered to make a new "tentacle base" model for that area in Black Mesa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #794

December 2012
    3,699 Posts
    Yeah, the tentacles scared the shit out of me when I played HL for the first time.

Mind you I was 8 and my knowledge of english was extreeemely basic at the time so I didn't know what to do which added to the "WTF" factor. It wasn't until I was 12 that I managed to understand what to do and how to beat it.

The point is, you can beat them? Then no fucks given.

And hey, I just remembered another game from the old PSX days....Fear Factor was it called? the one which featured 2 girls....ahh...those fucking sewers and the damn little robots.

EDIT:Come think about it, newer games don't have that fucked up/disturbing feeling compared with older games. Imagination filled in details and coupled with crappy sound effects, it was an horrible experience -Silent Hill 1 being the most prominent example- Nowadays I find more gore than creepy stuff, which was the other way around in the older games.

Cry of Fear was amazing until the extremely awkward and forced "love interest" scene on the rooftop, then it was all downhill from there.

I still don't understand the purpose of that scene. All it did was drag the game down.
    QFT
    Hahahaha, dunno why they put that scene into the game, it REALLY destroyed the atmosphere and tension.

35. Post #795
    Dennab
    July 2009
    19,189 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #796
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,214 Posts
    The "born from a wish" side story in silent hill 2 where you play as the girl (Maria?) was such a melancholic part of the game. The total desolation you felt when walking out of the apartment and into the misty, grey city always disturbed me.

37. Post #797
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,186 Posts

The headless from Ultima Underworld
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #798
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    14,808 Posts
    Nice bump, I'd say The Walking Dead has disturbed me a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #799
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,750 Posts
    Silent Hill 4. While the plot was not as strong as the last few games, it always had me jumping.

Especially those hairy two-headed creatures with babies for faces. They just point at you menacingly before charging over to fuck your day up. That and creatures where their heads shake and jitter rapidly.

Yume Nikki. The entire game just filled me with dread as I never understood what was truly happening. And the ending only made me even more unhappy, but for more reason than one.

System Shock 2. The Many. SHODAN. Enough said.

Humorously: Rollercoaster Tycoon, when one of your rollercoasters cocked up and derailed. Reason why I consider it disturbing is due to the fact that the game just suddenly pans your camera over, allowing you to witness the final seconds of the park goers as they explode into a glorious cloud of smoke. The carnival music playing in the background and the chatter from the peeps go dead fucking silent. In big red lettering, it'll tell you how many people died. The sight of red letters on black background with no sound just drains the blood from my face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #800
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    6,269 Posts
    I'll type this out since it's a Walking Dead Season 2 spoiler:

That scene where the dog falls on the spikes and you have to choose between killing it or letting it be   

I swear I bawled really loud during that scene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)