- Don't post articles without a source, if it's from a magazine, scan it. If there's only a news video with no accompanying text you may post it.
- Post English articles only. Google translate will not cut it. If there is no English alternative then don't post it.
- Articles must not be more than 2 weeks old.
- Don't post entire articles. Your quote snippet should not go beyond a summary of the story.
- If there's a breaking news update on TV that hasn't reached the Internet yet, you may post it but be sure to add a source when it's available.
- Don't post articles from unreliable sources that just blame everything on conspiracy theories.
- No blogs or articles from blog-type websites (eg. Gawker).
- Don't post opinion pieces.
- If you are posting about a contentious issue or your primary source is state media, find at least 2 independent sources for your story.
- Don't post satire, it is your responsibility to check your sources
- If articles are posted behind a paywall, you must indicate so and include another source. Do NOT copy the entire article.
- No editorialised titles. If in doubt, use the title from the original article.
- Don't [tag] your post.
- Avoid putting "breaking" in your thread title. Feel free to mention in your post if something is breaking if information is sparse.
Make sure to use search, we don't need more than one thread on a news event, even if they're different sources.
Avoid using the following as a source:
- Daily Mail
- Daily Mirror
- Natural News
- The Sun
- Russia Today
- The New York Post
- Project Vertias/James O' Keefe
If you must use the above sources, or curious about your source -> PM a mod for approval. In general you should be providing multiple sources if you doubt your main source.
Reading the thread
If you don't read the article and you make a dumb post about something that was explicitly addressed in the OP, you get banned.
Shining example: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/115...1#post33939569
- No low-content threads or posts. This includes image macros. - No content? Don't reply
- Don't post just to put your epic zinger, reference or pun.
- Don't go off-topic.
- No reaction GIFs, videos or images.
- Image marcos that you have made count as replies.
- Don't reply just to complain that something isn't newsworthy, report it instead.
- Don't reply just to say the source the OP used is bad without giving any reasons.
- Don't complain about ratings.
- Don't post speed tests
- Talking about your own experiences is fine but don't cite a personal anecdote as if it is conclusive and indisputable evidence.
- Just because somebody debunks a claim doesn’t mean they’re advocating for the opposite claim.
- Want to pull a Devil's Advocate? Make sure you let everyone know.
- Don't personally attack or flame other members you are debating a topic with.
Live / Current / Breaking News Threads
If you are posting an 'update' in one of these threads, please add at least one of these sources:
- Livestream (provide a link)
- Website/Forum (provide a link)
- TV News (please identify which network(s))
If you fail to provide a source then you may have a reasonable ban applied for 'speculation'.
If you are close to the news source please make sure that you are safe before responding.