Title / Thread Starter Last Post ByReverse Sort Order Replies Views
Tutorial

- Basic Guidelines -

Yo relax, this is just keeping this subforum in check. New: Some non-source mapping is fine, even down to discussing mapping/architectural concepts with or without software. Have in mind this place is primary for Source mapping. Just thought...

16th September 2014
by Craptasket Go to last post
1 12,226
Help

Hammer Editor: Changing the Model of NPC Spawns

*I am reposting this as I had it in the wrong section.* Hello, I know this may be my first post here, however I have been using Facepunch forums for awhile now (as in browsing). Now is the time for me to make a post as nothing I have found seemed to...

33 Minutes Ago
by KingPommes Go to last post
8 299
Map

The Official Facepunch Mapping WiP Thread v17: Carve Edition ( 2 3 4 5 .. 14 15 16 17 Last )

Post your works in progress, get cool ratings! RULES: MAX 3 IMAGES PER QUOTE! IF YOU'RE USING A 1920X1080+ RESOLUTION USE TAGS SO YOU DONT BREAK EVERYONES COMPUTER WIP's ideally should be compiled! Discussion of WIPs is allowed, and encouraged....

20 Hours Ago
by Brian78456 Go to last post
675 69,231
Map

Metro Last Light-ish Map :D and Back into Mapping ^^

Sooo .... it's been a while since i made something for Gmod but i just thought it's about Time :P xD So i thought i should start working on a Metro 2033 ; Last Light -ish Map :D This is what i got so far :

21 Hours Ago
by Scrat Go to last post
29 4,009
Help

Custom particles and the Steam Workshop

Here's my problem: I have custom particles in my map. I can add my .pcf files to my particles folder, but I also need to edit my manifest file. I can also add these .pcf files to my addon, but how can I get Garry's Mod to use them without everyone...

SharpOB 1 people are reading this thread x 1
23 Hours Ago
by SharpOB Go to last post
10 323
Help

Overlay touching too many faces (max 64)

' Issue has been solved, original post is quoted below for referencing to those who experience a similar issue

1 Day Ago
by Rory Go to last post
2 108
Question

Question about Hammer

Can someone please indicate me where I can find the version of the SDK that allows me to create maps for Garry's Mod, via Hammer? I tried searching on the Steam discussion forums and found nothing actually viable. Thanks in advance

1 Day Ago
by DatUltron Go to last post
3 215
Release

rp_REbangclaw (v1, v2d_lite, v2d)

Hi! I would like you to show off your work and that you appreciated / help my first work on hammer: rp_REbangclaw_v1 Very small edit, new mini-area, edit police and mayor structure, in fact, this is the usual bangclaw Workshop:...

1 Day Ago
by KnightVista Go to last post
35 4,013
Question

Forcibly adding Christmas lights to ropes

Is there a way to forcibly add christmas lights to your ropes regardless of time of the year?

2 Days Ago
by Rory Go to last post
2 217
Help

Portal 2 a falling map

How does the map sp_a3_00 work? How do they fall and hit different holes teleporting somewhere else and how is there a prop falling with it and how can't the player take the prop? And how can I let the player fall on a platform and then he rolls or...

2 Days Ago
by HGrunt Go to last post
1 179
Help

How do I make desert Canyons/Cliffs?

So I'm making a Middle East desert war map and I want to make these kinds of cliffs/canyons for some epic flying and just to make the map less flat in general, althought I got no idea how I would do this, does anyone know?

2 Days Ago
by SharpOB Go to last post
10 566
Help

Hammer SDK CS:GO | HashVec: point outside valid range

I'm new to Hammer and just trying to test my map and i get the error of "HashVec: point outside valid range". Please help.

3 Days Ago
by taz0 Go to last post
7 393
Help

Making a button that can be held down and released without momentary_rot_button?

I want to make a button that needs to be held down. I need it to send outputs both when it has been pressed and when its' released. I remembered the rotating wheels in Half Life 2, and tried to copy what they did. However, momentary_rot_button appears to...

pacguy64 1 people are reading this thread x 1
3 Days Ago
8 359
Help

How to export a map from Dota 2 hammer to Unity?

Help! I'm trying to export a map from dota 2 Hammer (either the standard Dota 2 map or my own map) for use in Unity (or even blender). I've tried exporting as FBX or OBJ, but when I import in either Unity (current version) or Blender All I get are...

3 Days Ago
by Paphjort Go to last post
4 238
Release

Narco

Narco, a bomb defuse map by Jacket The Terrorists have been using an old industrial estate as a front for their latest drug enterprise, but the Counter-Terrorists have discovered the site and are eager to shut it down, along with everyone involved....

3 Days Ago
by wernsto Go to last post
1 322
Help

The last of us Map

Hey guys. I wanted to know if anyone can send me a good amount of pictures that capture perfectly how the quarantined zone/city you start at after the game intro, look like. I want to try and build that for a "The last of us" role-play map :3

3 Days Ago
by wernsto Go to last post
5 536
Question

i5 processor good enough to make maps?

Hello! I am upgrading my PC and one thing I would like to get into is map making. My question is as the title is. Here is the CPU and I want to know if this is good to make a decent sized map with lighting! CPU(amazon.co.uk)

3 Days Ago
by Blade Rx69 Go to last post
11 500
Help

Ring Knutstorp in GMOD

Heyo! Im making a racing circuit based on Ring Knutstorp, a swedish racing circuit. And first off, do you think I can fit it in the hammer editor? Here is a picture to show the size. Second, is there any way to take a picture like this one into some...

4 Days Ago
by Wormy Go to last post
5 332
Question

how to make a static light imitate light_dynamic

I'm making a map which plays around with a lot of omni-directional light_dynamics'. Naturally, to save resources and avoid engine limitations, I want to mix in some static light entities where no movement is required. However, simply copying over the...

4 Days Ago
by pacguy64 Go to last post
0 183
Help

Run Map Error

So when I try to test my map in run map, it shows this: ** Executing... ** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\bin\vbsp.exe" ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod"...

4 Days Ago
by taz0 Go to last post
7 309
Help

Mapping Question Megathread v5 ( 2 3 4 5 .. 93 94 95 96 Last )

Going to be editing this OP. If you have any mapping-related problems, use this thread to ask them, rather than creating a whole new thread. This is not the place for requests. If you want to request a map to be found/made, create a new thread. Do not...

5 Days Ago
by taz0 Go to last post
3,807 156,955
Release

Better Forest Detail Grass

http://i.imgur.com/GJmLmsi.jpg http://i.imgur.com/gDDjYST.jpg YES GAMEDEV, IT'S OUT!!!!!!!!! The first image is the sprites on a custom grass texture, the second image is the result on default EP2 forest grass textures. A few things to say: -...

5 Days Ago
by Thiefdroid Go to last post
29 7,278
Question

Do you need Counterstrike Source to Create a proper Deathrun map in Garry's Mod?

Do you need Counterstrike Source to Create a proper Deathrun map in Garry's Mod?

6 Days Ago
by Zufeng Go to last post
2 275
Work In Progress

EvoCity 3 ( 2 3 4 5 .. 11 12 13 14 Last )

The map that never dies is back. I have finally entered full production on EvoCity 3. This map has been in the works for some time. Now I finally have the plan together to really get started with construction. This new map will be more detailed and...

Sgt.Sgt Thread has images 3 people are reading this thread x 3 Mapping King x 180
1 Week Ago
by SuperiorGamer Go to last post
558 90,221
Help

css content on gmod hammer

i know this has been asked many times but i dont know how to get css content on gmod hammer and yes i did googled it

1 Week Ago
8 386
Help

Workaround for "Too many brush models"

So heres my problem: Im currently near completion of this map: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=774517123 My compile Log gives me this Too many brush models in map, max = 1024 For all I know this means I have to many...

1 Week Ago
4 589
Help

func_door_rotating in rotated instance is buggy

So, I want to build the interior of a house almost entirely out of brushes (partially for my own amusement, and partially because the game I'm using doesn't have appropriate door models). So, I created a fancy little brush based door using a few brush...

1 Week Ago
3 238
Map

Can't compil my hammer map

Hello! I apologize for my very bad English, I am French and uses google translation ... x) A friend can not compile its map on Hammer World Editor 4, except that its error is very bizarre! Does anyone have any idea what it might come from ??? I have...

1 Week Ago
by SofianeLasri Go to last post
2 242
Help

Compiling time of Hammer

Hi recently i've decided to add somethings to a map and when i tried to compile it, it never finishes. It's was about 24 hjours straight compiling it and nothing was happening here's the logs : materialPath:...

1 Week Ago
by _Rash_ Go to last post
8 340
Map

Elevator Doors That Hang

Hello, I first want to apologize for my bad English, but I use google translation! ^^ Basically, my problem is this: I wanted to copy the elevator from the rockford police station, but the problem is, the doors get stuck! :( I did everything to copy the...

1 Week Ago
by SofianeLasri Go to last post
15 758
Question

How can I add Props of Addon in Hammer Editor (Gmod Map)?

Hello , anyone can help me to add a props of an addon? I didn't find tuto about this. I tested a few of things but the only result I have is a model of the props I want but he is untextured in the Hammer Editor (Black and Pink square) and when I test the...

2 Weeks Ago
by Penou Go to last post
4 350
Help
2 Weeks Ago
by RasmusG5 Go to last post
0 208
Help

All map is black (no light)

Hi all, I had a very serious problem, which I can not solve. This is a problem with the lighting, it is not. More precisely it is, but doesn't "work", all map is black. And an error "sun extent from map = 0.000000", "sun extent from map = 0.087156", "zero...

2 Weeks Ago
by heu3 Go to last post
18 642
Help

Looking for a Map Dev

Alright, so we are in the search of a map developer, to edit the desert map used for Military Rp, obviously we can't find anyone to do it for free that is why we are here, we'd like to see some of your work, to know you are experienced, because everyone...

2 Weeks Ago
3 397
Help

Map Visual Glitches

I've got weird visual glitches with my map, the glitching only happens around buildings that are areaportaled off, the map does have visclustering but the problem persists when vvis is run on fast with and without the visclusters enabled and it also...

2 Weeks Ago
by arow1234 Go to last post
12 362
Map

NEW Star Wars RP Map Ideas?

Hey everyone and especially swrp people! As my previous map is basically done (ran into a problem any help ->https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1542165) I want to start a new map. It will be an open space map with a feature Im currently...

2 Weeks Ago
7 584
Stupid

i dont uderstand compling error

i had 1 compling broblem and its this make_triangles:calc_triangle_representation: cannot convert i dont know how to solve it cause i dont speak best english this is what it said on hammer error checker Usually preceded by some coordinates, the best...

2 Weeks Ago
by 1 Duck Go to last post
16 805
Map

De Chateau Turzo

Hello guys I am vorking on remake of map De Chateau. Would like ask you for some ideas or decorations. You can try this map here.

2 Weeks Ago
by Cheroke98cz Go to last post
5 644
Tutorial

GOLDSRC Texture Tutorial: Static, transparent, animated, toggled & water

http://www.the303.org/tutorials/gold_texture.htm So with the release of Sven Co-op 5.0. I'm sure many want to know how to get into making custom textures for maps in GoldSrc. This will be the first big tutorial of 3. The second Is Modelling for...

2 Weeks Ago
by CAS303 Go to last post
3 998
Map

Packing Episode 2 Textures into map?

Is there any way to pack episode 1 and 2 textures into a map? I'm able to pack custom textures in, but I'm not sure where to get ep2 textures and where to put them.

2 Weeks Ago
by jackrabbit Go to last post
2 286
Map

Making Citizen NPCs Actually Talk?

Is there any way to make NPCs like citizens actually move their mouths when they talk? I'm currently using ambient_generic's in front of them, but admittedly, it looks pretty horrible. I've had no luck with the logic_choreograph entity so I'm not sure...

2 Weeks Ago
8 567
Request

Looking for several maps

Yeah not sure if this is the best place but I might as well. Looking for the following maps. If you have a copy, or know where I can find one, please tell me. Several "battle" maps, which I believe originate from hl2 survivor, which are not present in...

3 Weeks Ago
by Portugalotaku Go to last post
1 369
Work In Progress

rp_subterranean ( 2 Last )

What is it? rp_subterranean is a roleplay map in an underground town/community that is built in a cave of sorts. The theme I've been trying to go for is that its a makeshift community built below the surface hidden away from the world above, whether...

3 Weeks Ago
by Sgt.Kickass Go to last post
59 6,155
Help

Recompiling\Building gm_construct trouble

So I decompile it from original gm_construct.bsp to .vmf to play around with it in Hammer, and it seems to be alright. After I make some changes (or not) and run the map it seems broken a bit - some brushes don't load, no lighting, no skybox, odd...

3 Weeks Ago
by MediCat Go to last post
4 312
Help

TF2 MVM Crashing when bots win.

Working on a mvm Christmas map. At the moment it's just a big orange box map. To test the mechanics. And that was a good call cause it doesn't function. As soon as the bot drops down the hatch and it explodes, the whole game crashes with no error message....

3 Weeks Ago
by jack27121 Go to last post
2 261
Beta

gm_susquehanna ( 2 3 Last )

Edit: Release! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=784560595 Sup ladies and germs. I haven't had much mapping time since gm_upstatespeedway and had been itching to make an all-purpose vehicle testing map, but I feel like this is...

Xanadu Thread has images Mapping King x 41
3 Weeks Ago
by RasmusG5 Go to last post
86 11,319
Help

Rain in Portal 2; not as easy as I thought :I

So, I'm trying to build an outdoors map in Portal 2, and I want to add rain to it. Naturally, I first grabbed a func_precipitation and put it over the map. However, regardless of what I did to the size of the brush and its' settings, it didn't do...

3 Weeks Ago
by taz0 Go to last post
7 799
Help

Using CSGO props in GMOD, wont showup ingame.

Title explains most of it. My map is a port from CS:GO so I cant make them all prop_dynamic_overide. I tried using the hl2ep2 hammer, hl2ep1 hammer, hl2dm hammer, and hl2 hammer but they all crash when I try to load the map. I also just tried using the...

gz.
3 Weeks Ago
by gz. Go to last post
9 598
Help

trigger_remove Crash-to-Desktop

Solved Garry's Mod isn't happy when you trigger_remove entities that you are holding with the Physics Gun. Placing the NPC into a hole and pressing a button to remove it not only solidified what I was trying to accomplish, but stopped the crash. I...

Rory 1 people are reading this thread x 1
3 Weeks Ago
by Robotboy655 Go to last post
5 332
Love

Mapping Reference Image Dump ( 2 Last )

Proposed title was original "Super Mapping Mega Image Dump Deluxe" Anyway, the title is self-explanatory. Post images you think would benefit as reference pictures for others. I'll start with some shots from around my college campus. I think there's a...

3 Weeks Ago
by gnampf Go to last post
50 3,251
Help

How do you enable a button to make water deadly?

I'm going back to an old Trouble in Terrorist Town map that I made and want to add some more Traitor traps. I already understand buttons and traitor buttons, but I'm not sure how to do what I'm trying to accomplish. I want the water to be activate-able...

3 Weeks Ago
by Budman Go to last post
2 319
Question

Portal 2 cables

How I do those cables decorations like in Portal 2? Also in the Portal 2 hammer editor.

3 Weeks Ago
by Butthurter Go to last post
2 428
Help

[Help] Trying to port a CSGO map to GMOD

I'm trying to port a CSGO deathrun map (dr_canyon) to gmod. Every time I try loading the vmf up in gmod, it crashes right after "reading 5%" with no error dialog. I ripped everything from the csgo vpk and put it in gmod, yet the error still occurs. Thanks...

gz.
3 Weeks Ago
by gz. Go to last post
9 563
Help

What is with these blocks?

For some crazy reason, the difference between a working map, and a map that crashes CS:GO before it even begins loading, is this: WORKING: NOT WORKING:

3 Weeks Ago
by taz0 Go to last post
11 723
Work In Progress

TTT Team Fortress Classic Map Pack

https://puu.sh/sfmxN/de95ca6432.jpg https://puu.sh/sfmxJ/d811e58f84.jpg This is a work in progress for a map pack I am making for TTT. Team Fortress Classic Reborn! Exact same scale of the original map with everything in the same location (lights,...

4 Weeks Ago
by Portugalotaku Go to last post
7 643
Request

Titanfall 1/2 Textures/Decales

Hey there, I wanted to know if anyone can supply me with Titanfall Textures and Decales, I am looking to build a map for a TitanfallRP server.

4 Weeks Ago
by taz0 Go to last post
2 460
Help

BSP Not Compiling

So right now I am in progress of making a Minecraft Cinema Map. I am just getting the structures done. I was able to compile the map last night, there wasn't much there. Now looking at the map, the map is not wanting to compile a BSP. I do not see any...

4 Weeks Ago
by silentslay Go to last post
3 410
Question

How to kill player in single player without reloading map/game_ui-vehicles bug workarounds?

Alright, this is a really weird one, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's impossible. Despite this, I'd still really like to get this working... So basically, I figured out how to use prop_vehicle_driveable in Portal 2, and now have functional HL2 Jeeps...

4 Weeks Ago
7 531
Help

TTT map, bodies not being id'able..

Hi! I have an error in my map, that I cant seem to reproduce reliably without a ton of players online. When players die, there is somewhere between 1 in 10, to 1 in 20 (numbers straight out of my arse) chance that the bodies won't be id-able. They just...

4 Weeks Ago
by tuxie Go to last post
9 562
Help

bad prop lighting

these tracks are set as a prop_dynamic_override as its the only one they show up as. for some reason they have TERRIBLE shading and im not sure how to get around it.

4 Weeks Ago
by Nova_Canterra Go to last post
3 447
Help

[bounty] 100$ for anyone that can fix my map <3

The bounty bit 50$ for finding a way, on a dedicated server, without any players (just bots), *reliably* reproduce the three bugs in the description. 50$ for actually finding a way to fix the map. This implies the first bounty being met, since the...

4 Weeks Ago
by tuxie Go to last post
10 955
Question

mount counter strike source hammer to garrys mod hammer

before you tell me to google it: im not asking how to get css hammer to work because any idiot can figure that out i am asking how i add all the counter strike source models and textures to my current hammer so that i can use counter strike, episode 2,...

4 Weeks Ago
5 500
Help

phys_thruster won't move in a straight line

I'm trying to configure a thruster connected to a physics object that can be reliably controlled via inputs. However, the thruster seems to randomly move the object left or right while pushing it forward, making it very difficult to control. I tried...

4 Weeks Ago
2 400
Question

physics like phys_hinge

How does phys_hinge even work? Like how I make a rope connected to something or a moving door that is connected to a hinge and moves right or something like that, how does this even work? How do I set the limits of an angle for it is there any cind of...

4 Weeks Ago
1 405
Help

How to fix this lighting bug?

How can I go about fixing this lighting bug? It's really annoying me..:cry: The lighting just doesn't want to work sometimes when I restart the map. (Sometimes it works as expected like in the third image) Thanks in advance

4 Weeks Ago
by Mista Heita Go to last post
5 491
Help

Hammer Crashing When Opening the Material Browser

I've uploaded my dump file to metastruct, but I don't understand what my issue is. http://dumps.metastruct.uk.to/dumper.py?dump=hammer_20161107_001146_1_crash.mdmp, I did add css material files to my gmod folder, but I've done it before and I've never had...

4 Weeks Ago
by taz0 Go to last post
1 365
TV

Facepunch Mapper's/Modder's Google Hangout v1 ( 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Last )

Gonna update this thread on every time there's a hangout in progress. Of course it's not strictly just for mapping so modellers and other modders are welcome alike. Current one:...

4 Weeks Ago
by Lamarr Go to last post
353 18,192
Help

.UMap to .vmf/.bsp

Hello friendly (and unfriendly) people of facepunch! I was looking through files of a game I own and wanted to """"Convert"""" some maps to be playable on GMod. Now I did read a thread about this a while ago and the thread was ultimately closed because of...

4 Weeks Ago
by Clunky Go to last post
5 553
Question

info_particle_system limitations?

I'm trying to use a lot of info_particle_system to cover a large area. It works just fine on a small scale, but having a lot of them causes some pretty bad slow down (which is understandable, I guess). The real issue, though, is if I place a ton of them...

4 Weeks Ago
2 391
Request

Looking for a mapper.

I would like to apologize first if this is in the wrong section, but I cant find anywhere else to post this. I'm looking for a mapper for a strongly growing popular DarkRP server. First project includes modding out rp_downtown_v4c_v2.

3rd November 2016
by LtShinySides Go to last post
16 1,069
Post Your

How does everyone start their mapping projects?

Hey everyone. I wanted to start a little discussion on design planning, tactics people use and how people generally outline their projects. I've seen videos where mappers have built the entire layout in dev textures, and then added to it. I've seen...

2nd November 2016
by Rory Go to last post
16 1,147
Help

env_sun refuses to display

The title says it all. This entity just won't render in the sky despite my taking several actions in a vain attempt to get it working. Below is it's properties box: I added in a custom skybox as well, so I'll include the .vmt settings for it below...

2nd November 2016
6 485
Help

water disapears if player is too close

so if i got too close or i am in water it disapears i have no comling errors but i comply my maps VIS in fast mode

1st November 2016
by Firegod522 Go to last post
15 770
Question

some custom sounds will play but others may not

the clips are literally just under two seconds long. some of them will play but others will not. i even tested it by having 2 ambient_generics exactly the same with the same triggers only with different wav files. why is this and how can it be overcome?

1st November 2016
by Rory Go to last post
4 437
Question

How do I correctly port Maps from Source Filmmaker to Garrys Mod?

Hello everyone, I made a few Maps for SFM, and I often get questioned if/when they will be ported to GMod. So, the problem is I don't know how to correctly port them. I literally searched the whole internet for that, but I find is "How to port from...

31st October 2016
by taz0 Go to last post
3 503
Map

Looking For a Map Maker

My friend and I are starting up a new gmod rp server and are going to need some custom content. Some of which includes a new custom map. Our server is going to be colonial era themed and will take place in the Americas. We are going to need a decent sized...

31st October 2016
by PETREKILLAH Go to last post
0 435
Question

How to use prop_vehicle_driveable?

I want to make a driveable car in a game where normal vehicles don't exist (so sadly, no HL2 jeeps will save me :I). When I search the FGD for vehicles, however, I find 3 seemingly useful point entities: prop_vehicle, prop_vehicle_choreo_generic, and...

30th October 2016
0 384
Help

Black props?

So these prop_static's http://i.imgur.com/2CVGDGu.jpg like to be all black i've tried the expert compile settings with -PropStaticLighitig but that made no visible change and the settings in the config for the props Compile log:...

30th October 2016
by Rory Go to last post
2 413
Help

How to make weapons get picked with only USE

Whenever I walk near a weapon in Gmod I pick it up. I want to know what I have to do in Hammer to have an SMG be able to get picked up with only the USE key. (I'm using gmod)

29th October 2016
by Flonger Go to last post
7 519
Help

Is this the right thing for that door?

Is this the right tool, I am parenting it to the func_door_rotating and want to use the colision of the prop_dynamic and not from a invisible brush tool, is hint the right one for that? This is a test I am doing as you see in the future it won't be a...

29th October 2016
by karl-police Go to last post
4 473
Map

rp_lyolux ( 2 3 4 5 Last )

Hello there everyone I would just like to showcase my roleplaying map rp_lyolux. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=612117232 <---------- Link for map is right here! This map here includes the following: * Houses * Stores *...

28th October 2016
by Jcw87 Go to last post
169 9,355