1. Post #1
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    hey guys im trying to make a good perskin ive tried time and time again but nothing seems to work i've been yelled at countless times saying o you're perskin sucks and get that crap outa here and others so im starting fresh so my question is how would i make a good perskin in 3ds max 2009 are there any tuts or stuff like that and how do i go about hacking models together and writing the qc thx in advance for any help i get
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,035 Posts
    Why not go with the classic? Simply re-skinning a male and hexing it can be good.

3. Post #3
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    9,414 Posts
    Try model hacking. Find a base model, like one of the male models, then take some stuff from other Valve models (like CSS) and put them on your character. You'll have to do a bit of editing to get them to fit.

Adding little things to your model can make it look really good.

4. Post #4
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    i know it makes it look amazing in my eyes but theres a problem when i do so like for instance i try a model hack when i get the citezen in i texture it and then when i look at it the eyes have the citezens face in it how do i fix that and when i go in the model veiwer i have purple and pink texures so also how di i right the qc?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,177 Posts
    Reposting from another thread exactly like this.

This post concerns personal skins, not personal models. Those are out of my frame of expertise.
    [LIST=1][*]First thing's first, you're gonna need a decent editing program. I use Paint.NET, a very simple editing program that is both free and capable of most things others can do. Adobe Photoshop and the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) are also viable options, although the former is not free.
    [*]If you're new to skinning for HL2, there are many tutorials around Facepunch and other sites that can assist and provide you with other necessary materials. Google can also be a helpful alternative to Facepunch's search function, which appears to be broken at first glance.
    [*]Another great thing to have as a new skinner is a base texture, which, in this post, concerns a prefabricated texture to make changes to. A great example would be Freiser's Normal Citizens, which is a great start. If you plan on releasing your skin, make sure you do your best to either make it look as different from the original as possible, or get credit from the original creator to use the unaltered skin. (Example: My personal skin uses base content from 4 different users. Chances are you wouldn't be able to name them right off the bat.) You will be promptly flamed for stealing others' works.
    [*]Custom facemaps. Although not specifically required for a personal skin (Now that I think about it, are there any requirements?) it always helps to jazz up the face a bit, just so your skin doesn't look like, say, Mike or Erdim in just different clothing. Half-Dead's Get a Life Citizen Pack contains numerous faces that are 100% allowed to be used and reuploaded. They also look pretty.
    [*]If you run into a problem, feel free to ask anyone for help. Although most of us are complete dicks, there are few mature/competent users who will gladly help you, as long as you cooperate and use your head.[/LIST]
    When and if your personal skin is finished, it's the general consensus to post any related pictures or comics in the Personal Skins Thread. As of now we are at Version 16.

6. Post #6
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    i read that already but it doesnt have anything to do with the statement above yours

7. Post #7
    August 2008
    378 Posts
    Heres a list of models you can use as a base skin to make yours:
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=81245
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=87577
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=85548
    Just be sure to give credit to original creators.

8. Post #8
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Ok thank you but how do I write the qc for a model hack cause I want to get simkas model add a holister from l4d survivor and put a desert eagle in it in 3ds max and maybe some other stuff so any help?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,688 Posts
    You won't learn much if we baby you the whole way. Try some things out and when a problem occurs, come to us for help to see what you did wrong.
    If you have no idea what you're doing, then go to the developer wiki and read up a bit.

A hacked model .qc would probably look a lot like a model .qc.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,035 Posts
    Using other people's personal skins to make your own is just cold man, rude in my opinion. Totally un-original, which is the whole point of a "personal skin". Something original made by you to represent yourself.

11. Post #11
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Bloo all I'm doing is using his jacket I'm gonna take off the uotside coat and reskin the pants an use a totally diferent head add a l4d holister and add some other little things kk

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,010 Posts
    You're still using bits of his model.

The least you could do is actually try asking for permission.

13. Post #13
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    I'm going to give him full credit cause I'm just using his jacket

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,688 Posts
    That's not permission

15. Post #15
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Fine where can I find simkas?

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,010 Posts

17. Post #17
    August 2008
    378 Posts
    Just be sure to give credit to original creators.
    Taken from my original post.

Edited:

When I made my personal skin I got permission from the model creator, I just edited the textures including the jeans, shoes, sweatshirt, and face. Pretty much everything was by me except the model itself.

Edited:

18. Post #18
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    thats a nice personal skin i applaude you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)